Free Question Bank – PaGaLGuY's Prepathon

Includes Daily Quizzes, GK updates and Mock Tests!
For CAT, IBPS, SSC-CGL and more!

About this discussion

Last updated

Author
Ryan P @Neo2000

Tags

Low GMAT Scores?? Find Help here.

Quite a few of the Puys have been struggling with low scores. And there have been a lot of threads with individual queries. This thread is to collate all of that useful information so that other low scorers can benefit while current low scorers ca...
Follow this discussion to get notified of latest updates.
Page 51 of 131   
Hello,

I have total 8 years of exp. in TOP5 semiconductor companies(ST and freescae).
I have spent almost 4 years of europe.Currently i'm working as technical lead .
In these 8 years , I have been awarded twice best engineer award in my group.
Now at this point of career I'm thinking of doing MBA from TOP10 US colleges.
But i have one doubt ,my degree score is not so good.59.99%
1marks short of First class.
Do you think ,it will be worth applying with GMAT score of above 700.
Do i stand any chance for addmission in top 10 US b-schools.
please help me on this.

thanks..

Hi,

US schools have a different way of rating the percentage marks. When you convert your percentage score to US GPA on a scale of 4.0, it would be over 3.0 out of 4.0. Do check this with the schools.

Thank you.

Hello,

I have total 8 years of exp. in TOP5 semiconductor companies(ST and freescae).
I have spent almost 4 years of europe.Currently i'm working as technical lead .
In these 8 years , I have been awarded twice best engineer award in my group.
Now at this point of career I'm thinking of doing MBA from TOP10 US colleges.
But i have one doubt ,my degree score is not so good.59.99%
1marks short of First class.
Do you think ,it will be worth applying with GMAT score of above 700.
Do i stand any chance for addmission in top 10 US b-schools.
please help me on this.

thanks..

Thanks Arun.

Could you please elaborate little more on "value question" vs "yes/no" question?

http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/cat4-ds-absolute-values-question-t6921.html is an example of a yes/no question

1. If 6*x*y = x^2*y + 9*y, what is the value of xy?
(1) y - x = 3
(2) x^3
is an example of a value question

2. If y is an integer and y = x + x, is y = 0?
(1) x (2) y
is an example of a yes/no question

BTW here is a useful link from BTG:

10 Very Specific Ways to Study for the Data Sufficiency Section

Arun
India's fastest growing GMAT & GRE Test Prep Company:  http://crackverbal.com 
Hi, Gave another test on Manhattan's site. Scored 640 (Q44, V33). Please let me know how will I perform on real GMAT? Guidance needed urgently as I amgiving GMAT o 9th Aug.

Thanks.

You will have to take GMAT prep to know your actual performance. But i have known that MGMAT quant is a little difficult over the actual GMAT. You can expect to score more in your quant. Give GMAT prep that will be the best indicator of your performance.
Hi, Gave another test on Manhattan's site. Scored 640 (Q44, V33). Please let me know how will I perform on real GMAT? Guidance needed urgently as I amgiving GMAT o 9th Aug.

Thanks.

Have you taken GMATPrep or PowerPrep tests? Those are pretty accurate. MGMAT is not pretty much off too.
Hi,

Just gave my CAT mock designed by Barron's. Got Q59 and V56. Any idea how does it compare with real GMAT?

Thanks.

Hi,

I'm trying to get an admit from a top 30 univ in the US. One step at a time, so to start with I'm targeting a 700+ score in gmat within a month. ( hope it's not too unrealistic, but i'm actually running short on time. )

I've been studying for GMAT for 2 months now. i started in a rather adhoc manner , but have now streamlined my studies a lil. Initially I was scoring around 680 and after studying the scores have actually come down to an average of 640 ( a lil discouraging) .

i'll break up my preperation so far:
math : i'm a lil confident here , even though my scores have been hovering around 44, most of my mistakes are either careless mistakes or cases where i've overlooked a catch in the question. i think with practice i'll be able to put this straight and pull it up to about 48-50 . I have been referring mainly the OG . Any other reference which may help with catching the common ploys used in math questions to confuse students?

verbal : I generally pride myself with a good command over the english language, but have been struggling with my scores, rarely do i go above 35 .
I'll break it up further.
RC: here i tend to get questions wrong in bulks. As in, either i get a lot of questions (sometimes even all) wrong , or get most of them right . Which i assume means that i misinterpret the passages and answer wrongly.
Also often i loose focus while reading the RC. i.e loose track of previous paragraphs , i've been trying to jot down points for each paragraph, but that slows me down a lot.
Also i get a lot of the "wat type of a passag is it" questions wrong. ( where the answers are like , the author gives a viewpoint and argues for it , a solution is suggested in the passage and then justified further , etc.)
References- OG, mainly online forums and tips , no specific book referred.

CR: I fell a little confident in CRs , though i do get a lot of questions wrong.Again need practicehere. I was referring the Manhattan CR , but the book didn't seem to help beyond identification of questions and premises ,assumptions and conclusions. Not sure if i should continue ??
references-OG, manhattanCR

SC: I'm shit scared of this section. I thought it would be my strength when i started, but my thoughts were shattered. I've read the entire manhattan review SC guide , 2 times over , but still fail to apply it in the tests. Now have started running thru idioms lists ( yes i avoided them at the start, mainly because i found that most lists only mention the DOs, the right usages, but never mention the wrong usages. plus i can't really cram too well )
references - OG, Manhattan SC.

Tests:
GMAT prep - 680 ( first test that i gave , gave me a real boost to start with , but after that all of it went down hill )
score800 - 3 tests - 620- 660
Kaplan - 530 ( i know this is a moral killer, but 530 still sucks)
Manhattan test series - 640, 620 -- (bought the online series, i like these tests. Though i think the math is a lil tougher that the actually , the questions are very well framed . plz tell me ur opinions on these too. I plan to reffer them further.)

i hope i haven't rambled on for to much , I've just tried to be as detailed as possible so that my mistakes and wat i can do better can be pointed out accurately.

plz help and point out anything i'm doing wrong or can do better ?

Also is there any forum of ppl in a similar situation as mine, where we can discuss detailed items ?

thanks

Hi,

Just gave my CAT mock designed by Barron's. Got Q59 and V56. Any idea how does it compare with real GMAT?

Thanks Arun.

Could you please elaborate little more on "value question" vs "yes/no" question?

Hi,

I have been studying for GMAT for 2 months now but unfortunately I am still struggling with DS. I have solved OG11 & WIP with OG12 but my DS accuray is approx. 65 - 70% Could anyone please suggest steps to enhance the scores... any reference material that I could use...

Thanks all in advance for your guidance.

Apart from what has been said try to following:

1. There is a difference between a "value" question and a "yes/no"' question.

2. Try plugging in values - -5, -2, -1, -0.5, 0, 0.5, 1, 2, 5

3. Try to figure out ways to reduce the word problems into equations and anticipate what you need in the answer before even looking at the 2 answer choices.

See if Kaplan 800 aka Kaplan Advance GMAT books helps you on DS.

Arun
India's fastest growing GMAT & GRE Test Prep Company:  http://crackverbal.com 

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

545 people follow this discussion.