About this discussion

Last updated

Author
Ryan P @Neo2000

Tags

Low GMAT Scores?? Find Help here.

Quite a few of the Puys have been struggling with low scores. And there have been a lot of threads with individual queries. This thread is to collate all of that useful information so that other low scorers can benefit while current low scorers ca...
Follow this discussion to get notified of latest updates.
Page 51 of 88   

@dehumanised: Thank you so much dude for your inputs. I feel a li'l better now. Was almost under depression since yesterday. I think your suggestion seems logical. I have started my application process for these schools and will start writing the essays as well from this weekend. Will also plan to give TOEFL sometime early next month. Hope that helps me cover up for my pathetic verbal score. But as the application deadline for most of these schools is Jan/Feb, I might take one more shot at GMAT!

I had disastrous experience in the last official gmat I took and other 2 wasn't any better.

Here are my scores of the official 3 gmat

Year 2009
3rd official GMAT :
530 verbal: 20(29%) quats: 44 (69%)

Year 2008
2nd official GMAT :
550 verbal: 23(29%) quats: 43 (68%)

Year 2008
1st official GMAT :
580 verbal: 24(35%) quats: 47 (81%)

Can you please suggest me when I should take another gmat test? if i should have to, what is the optimal length to study, i don't know what is going wrong with my verbal, is there anything fundamentally wrong? if so how to correct it.

By taking the GMAT for 4th time, will it affect my application process anyhow. I'm feeling very low now. I hope your suggestions will help me to deal with my disastrous performance and lift my morale and do a lot better, I'm aiming for atleast 700

Verbal materials studied : Manhattan verbal for CR, RC, SC, Princeton verbal and OG 10&11

First of all I thank you for sharing the real picture with PG's.thanks to the great Indian Intelligence, half the time we get intimidated by the great scores we see on PG and refrain from posting poor scores. I congratulate you for being gutsy and having the WILL to improve !

Coming to your questions:-

I think before selecting a gmat date you should first concentrate on your weak areas. I understand that sitting for GMAT thrice takes a toll , but its still not too late. Analyse your tests. Spend the most amount of time doing so.

Once your weaknesses are out , only then can you try eliminating or alleviating them to an extent.

I know that I have given you cliched response, but trust me- your scores suggest that you are repeating your weaknesses.

My advice: Start from the BASICS. Forget tests for the moment.
  • 1 Like  
LIVE CHAT with ex- Convenor and Dean MISB Bocconi

Ask all about Post-CAT results in a LIVE CHAT on 

26th December 2014 at 8.30pm with  Dr. Himanshu Rai, CAT 2010 Convenor and Dean MISB Bocconi.‚Äč

Participate Now

-Full time post graduate program in business

-Faculty from SDA Bocconi, Italy 

-Dual Campus Mumbai and Milan

-2014 Avg. CTC 10 Lakh p.a

- Merit Based Tuition Fee Waiver 

Download Placement Stats

Hey guys ! Myself Ayan. I just gave GMat this sunday and i scored 650. So pls tell me with this score where can i apply within India and Outside India ?? Outside India which universities would be best option to apply with this score. Or should i go for another GMat exam ?? Pls give me some suggestions........ thanx in advance.

hmmmmm... looks like we share a lot in common, profile wise!! an I was thinkin' of app'ing to those schools too! :o)
anyways... Think twice whether you want to retake the test in a couple of weeks. its not easy to get back into the grind of prep. soon after the exam... so give it a thought!! My first score was 660 an the second was 690 not a great improvement... I retook the test in 8weeks time... an scored higher on Quant again and dropped a point on my verbal, though my verbal skills were stronger and I prepared exclusively on verbal...
not to jinx you, but give this a deeper thought and 640 is a decent score for these schools given your profile and hoping your essays shine through!
Or try compensating your verbal score through TOEFL... I did that scored a 119/120 an the TOEFL is a cake walk after you prepare for GMAT verbal!!

Hi Guys,

Need some help real bad. I wrote my GMAT today (18th Nov '09) and literally screwed it. Here are my scores:

Maths - 50 (93%)
English - 26 (39%) - This is terrible! :-(
Overall - 640 (Pathetic!) :banghead:
AWA - Yet to receive but I'm pretty confident that I'll get at-least a 5.

The irony is I never got such low score in English in any of the practice tests I wrote. I know I used to get real bad scores in English but they never went

below 30.Here are my scores for practice tests:

Kaplan (free test) - 620 (Q43, V37)
MGMAT (free) - 620 (Q46, V30)
MGMAT 1 - 680 (Q47, V35)
MGMAT 2 - 690 (Q48, V36)
MGMAT 3 - 640 (Q47, V31)
Platinum GMAT - 690 (Q50, V 35)
GMAT Prep1 - 660 (Q49, V31)
GMAT Prep2 - 690 (Q51, V31)

I though the english questions that I faced today were really difficult. But again my score in english has never been good.
I am planning to write GMAT again in a couple of weeks. Please suggest if this is the right move.

Here are some I'm planning to apply to:

University of Toronto - Rotman
University of Western Ontario - Ivey
York University - Schulich
University of Texas at Austin - McCombs Business School
UCLA Anderson

Also, here's my profile:

10th - 70% (U.P. Board)
12th - 69% (U.P. Board)
B.Tech. (E&C;) - 74.92% Marks (U.P. Technical Univ.) - Passed out in 2004.

Decent extra-curriculars: Won prizes for singing, plays, choreography in inter-college fests.

Experience: 5+ years in one of India's top IT firms (with 2.5+ years experience in US (Chicago) - working for a major telecom client as a business

analyst/onsite coordinator).

Can arrange some very good recommendations from the client as well as senior managers in my organization.

Can someone please suggest what will be a good score to get through these universities?

Will really appreciate your help.

Thanks!

Hey there,

Tough luck mate!! lets go through your questions;

Can you please suggest me when I should take another gmat test?
Depends on you totally, whenever you feel you are ready. Dont rush it though take your time and think it through, build on your profile meanwhile. Since you already attempted it thrice, you should not have the "test jitters" and would know fully what to expect. So, I dont think there is any given "time-frame" when you should take the test.

if i should have to, what is the optimal length to study?
Again, there is no cookie cut approach to this... some can crack it in 20days others a couple of months/an year. It might have a little to do with competency level, but nothing substitutes the hours you put in to prepare.

i don't know what is going wrong with my verbal, is there anything fundamentally wrong?
Going by the way you articulated your issue, I dont think there is anything "fundamentally" wrong. Most of us (desi's) have a mental block that verbal is tough and coming from a non-english background its tough to crack. So get this thought out of your mind first. GMAT verbal is just dependent on some basic rules.. get these right by understanding the concepts rather than casting them in stone!

if so how to correct it?
Again NOTHING FUNDAMENTALLY WRONG WITH YOU!!! If i were you, i'd go throught the M-GMAT verbal with a fine toothed comb. Write down stuff you dont understand and log on to internet to understand how the particular grammar rule came in being. It is a really interesting exercise, as you can gather some really good trivia which will help you remember.
Additionally, narrow down on where the problem area lies (RC,SC,CR??) this can help you pinpoint the painarea and work on it... just think of yourself as a body builder and "build" these muscles accordingly. It helped me to keep track of my progress on a workbook. (sounds nerdy but you dont need to show this to your gal ;o))
By taking the GMAT for 4th time, will it affect my application process anyhow?
hmmmmmmmm... tough one! well there are two ways of looking at it from the ad-com perspective:

a. Tenacity to succeed in spite of setback
b. Why did you not realise your competency? (little harsh.. but thats the world)

so lets go with (a) for now, hoping that you will add a great deal of "meat" to your profile while you prepare for GMAT again to force the ad-com to think on terms of (a).

I'm feeling very low now. I hope your suggestions will help me to deal with my disastrous performance and lift my morale and do a lot better, I'm aiming for atleast 700
Did you finalize a list of the schools you are going to apply?? I suggest to do this first and then set a score which you want to achieve. Dont be bogged down with the scores you see on this site... they are relative. Also 700 is the typical score of an indian applicant.. so it does not catch the eye of the ad-com... now if you apply with a lower score and show a strong profile that surely will. (your audacity in applying to Harvard with 580, will ensure the ad-com goes through your profile carefully trying to understand why you applied inspite of the odds!!)

So this is the best advice I can think of right now and all that is shared is from my perspective only.. you would find many others on this site who could come up with many brilliant inputs but its upto you to filter and to accept what suits you!! :o)

All the best mate!! for now.. as I always say... "Binge Drink and Sleep the misery off", tomorrow is another chance!!

• 2 Likes  
I had disastrous experience in the last official gmat I took and other 2 wasn't any better.

Year 2009
3rd official GMAT :

Year 2008
2nd official GMAT :

Year 2008
1st official GMAT :

Can you please suggest me when I should take another gmat test? if i should have to, what is the optimal length to study, i don't know what is going wrong with my verbal, is there anything fundamentally wrong? if so how to correct it.

By taking the GMAT for 4th time, will it affect my application process anyhow. I'm feeling very low now. I hope your suggestions will help me to deal with my disastrous performance and lift my morale and do a lot better, I'm aiming for atleast 700

Verbal materials studied : Manhattan verbal for CR, RC, SC, Princeton verbal and OG 10&11

Don't lose hope. It looks like your approach to verbal lacks some punch, but i am sure we can work on it. Send me a message with your mail id and i am sure we can work out some strategy.

As far as your question about the 4th time is concerned, I cant say about what the colleges would think. But if you look at it ... you don't have too many options. With this score it would be very very difficult to get into decent school, at least with a better score you would have a much better chance.

HTH,
Santosh

Year 2009
3rd official GMAT :

Year 2008
2nd official GMAT :

Year 2008
1st official GMAT :

• 1 Like  

Dear all,
I appeared for the GMAT prep examination from GMAC without any prior preparation. Scored 620 (47/27). Please advise where do I stand after 3months of extensive preparation?

Please help !!

My two cents..

Gave GMAT today. Booked my appointment a month earlier.

Here is a brief summary of my score.

Quant - 50
Verbal - 38
Total - 730

Now to start with, I would suggest go pick up OG 12 and do the diagnostic test before you start your preparation. I did the same and It was clear that, for me the decider would be Critical Reasoning, rest of them being reasonably good.

I did all the questions in Critical Reasoning in OG. This was one of the few times I actually practiced something so sincerely and it did pay off.

So Please follow OG like your Gita, Kuran or Bible or whatever. Just practice it. In Quant, be very clear with the basics and it should be enough. I mean this. Just basics. Dont complicate and practice all those olympiad problems.

All the best to all those who are giving it.!!!

• 2 Likes  
razor's edge Says
Well, i guess no one seems to be active on this thread unless one has any query or a question to ask. So here I'm again. To improve upon my rc i've started doing the passages of my cat material. Is it worth the effort, considering that at the end of the day i have to read the passages from the computer? So should i practice them on my pc?

Hi Razor Edge, thats correct. With your exam date nearing you should be conditioning your mind for the actual test. Reading on a computer screen is a completly different ball game. Its difficult concentrating if you havent practiced enough, you eyes would start waivering and you might miss lines in between.

One very important thing with RC, is that you need to believe one thing. All of the answers are there infront of you, if you believe the answer is there believe me you would find it a lot more times that you would otherwise have. Even the inference questions, you dont have to think about something out of the world, you have the clues in the passage, just look for them.

I would suggest you do a large number of passages(say 10-15) in one go. Try to use whatever you have learnt in the previous passage in the next passage, this way you would be much better off by the 10th passage. Moreover it would help you inculcate paitence, which is very very important in RC.

Hope that helps, Keep me informed mate !!

Wishes and Sunshine,
Santosh
  • 3 Likes  

Well, i guess no one seems to be active on this thread unless one has any query or a question to ask. So here I'm again. To improve upon my rc i've started doing the passages of my cat material. Is it worth the effort, considering that at the end of the day i have to read the passages from the computer? So should i practice them on my pc?

I think you are having trouble
1. understanding the argument
2. evaluating it for its strengths and weaknesses

I would strongly suggest getting the Manhattan CR guide and the Powerscore CR Bible. They will really help you understand the basics behind typical CR questions and should definitely help you improve your speed and accuracy.

For RC I would not suggest any books. Try to understand the RC passage properly by reading it 2-3 times.
Also start reading good quality newspaper articles and editoruials.

Do not worry about the time you take to answer each question, it's more important to understand the question (both CR and RC) and get it right first. With time and practice your speed will also improve.

Also, stay away from OG for CR qns for now. Do all the questions in the CR guides i mentioned above.

How's your SC performance? and quants?

And Ankur the books you have recommended aren't available in town. And by the time i order for them it would be too late. So as of now all i can think of making the most of the material which i have at my discretion.

Well thanks for that piece of advice. With my poor performance in cr last night i kept it aside for the time being and decided to review my mistakes today. After contemplating a lot i thought was that what i actually lack is correct interpretation of the questions. I m pretty comfortable with the assumption based questions and majority times go wrong when i fail to comprehend the matter correctly(Considering the sometimes the language is really tough and intricate). They deliberately twist a normal topic in such a manner that it becomes hard to understand its core idea. Ankur, Can u suggest me some links on internet which have good questions on cr and other too?
As far as sc goes, i wouldn't say that i m good at it but among all the sections in verbal i perform the best in it. But i still need to lean a lot in this realm.
Quants is pretty normal and i think with my past cat material i can manage that except for some complicated questions esp on number system. They literally make me scratch my head.

A couple of days ago i took gmat powerprep. Scored miserbly in verbal. Failed to do 8 questions and scored somewhere near early 20s. Couldn't sleep the whole night dreading that what would i do at the end of this month? quant was ok. Scored 42 but i realised that hadn't i made a few silly mistakes (overlooking the question, geting paniky), would have done better than this.

Now can anyone tell me what should i do. PLease note that i may have to take the exam during the last days of november???

gmatdelhi Says
who do u say "stay away from OG for CR qns for now"??? I gave a gmatprep, did horribly on CR. And was just thinking of doing OG CR qns now!

from razor's post, it seemed like he was weak in his CR basics.. Hence I suggested brushing up on the theory.. Doing OG questns will not help him improve his basics, instead he might get hassled seeing his poor accuracy on CR questns..

If you are having trouble understanding the CR questns/arguments I suggest you do the same..
  • 1 Like  

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

545 people follow this discussion.