Life@GIM (Goa Institute of Management )

Hey Gimians .. This is the thread which I always wanted *Edited by Oxymoron: To maintain consistency in thread titles for "Life@Bschool " series *
Follow this discussion to get notified of latest updates.
Page 53 of 89   

One more hectic week done away with....another one is around:2gunfire:. With Mid terms this week most of the guys on campus can be seen in the library and yes in their rooms as well studying late in the night.

At the same time guys are busy working on Samriddhi 'A Conference on Green Infrastructure being organized by GIM.' Some more info on Samriddhi .....

Samriddhi is annual national conference organized by Goa Institute of management.Samriddhi addresses issues touching various spheres of development and strives at finding practical and viable solutions. In the past samriddhi has the touch based issues of financing infrastructure project micro-credit etc under financing India's development. This year, Samriddhi will deal with sustainable infrastructure, its feasibility and how much business sense it makes. Following are the brief areas identified for this years conference.

1. Green Power (renewable energy sources)
2. Waste management.
3. Green Architecture
4. Ports, Airports and the green way

Speakers
CEOs, Experts, CMDs of leading multinationals and thought leaders in the field.
Confirmed Speakers
1) Dr. S Sabharwal, (BARC, Mumbai),
2) Dr. S Kale(BARC, Mumbai),
3) Dr. Suresh Prabhu (Ex-Power Minister),
4) Mr. Vijendar Sharma (Senior Consultant, Fraport India),

Its a Two day event with 6 sessions and 16 speakers.100 + attendees will be from Senior and Middle level corporate, government officials, NGO representatives, environmentalists, Corporate and Economic Experts
Samriddhi is aimed at Corporate across India along with Government Officials, Environmentalists and Students. Samriddhi08 has been carried out on legacy of Samriddhi07 which was a finance conference. More than 200 people turned out for the event. Ads and posters went out in all top b-schools of India and the event witnessed the participation of more than 50 colleges and presence of IIM Lucknow, Ahmadabad, IIFT and ICFAI Goa.

Highlights of Samriddhi

1. A forum to interact closely with Government of Goa and possibility of forming partnerships.
  2. A platform to interact and form associations with Corporate houses.
  3. A close interaction with various reputed research institutes like BARC.
  4. An opportunity to connect with the entire student community
It will be an event that every GIM'ite will look forward to...
  • 2 Likes  

din, hafte , mahine.......... aaye or gaye..... but the love with GIM seems to be ever increasing........ bahut hi hectic hafte ke baad aaj time mila hai kuch post karne ka........ GIM keeps buzzing with activity even in the heavy rains...... many are planning to have their inventory of sleep done before the mid terms start.....me personally am planning to go along with my "kafe club" partners to various beaches this weekend and to witness the most talk about sunrise spots.......

kaafi clubs ke selection bhi ho gaye hain.... Personally i feel that right people have got into the right clubs (or cells!!!!)...... nice to see the enthusiasm with which people work..... the month till now????.....

yaad rahega....

*woh raat ko 1 baje doston ke sang chai peena.....
*8 30 class ke liye 8 20 ko uthna......
*ET quiz mein Saaj ko harane ki koshish karna.....
*morning view from HT main gate("seriously the best view")
*totally baffled by the cp in the class
*playing tt til morning 3 am....
*randomly entering peoples room to disturb them....
*the bday spanks......
*walk along the riverside and the ride on the ferry

last but not the least , the yaaris and friendship of the seniors and the batchmates........

"As they say na....... MANZIL SE BEHTAR LAGNE LAGEIN HAIN YEH RAASTE"

i used to live in a joint family back and here i feel that really i am at home away from home......

jab shuruat hi aisi hai to sochiye.......... "PICTURE TO ABHI PURI BAAKI HAI......"

***Deepak Singhal***

• 4 Likes  
LIVE CHAT with ex- Convenor and Dean MISB Bocconi

Ask all about Post-CAT results in a LIVE CHAT on 

26th December 2014 at 8.30pm with  Dr. Himanshu Rai, CAT 2010 Convenor and Dean MISB Bocconi.‚Äč

Participate Now

-Full time post graduate program in business

-Faculty from SDA Bocconi, Italy 

-Dual Campus Mumbai and Milan

-2014 Avg. CTC 10 Lakh p.a

- Merit Based Tuition Fee Waiver 

Download Placement Stats
Disclaimer If you want to know about the academic life at GIM, then please stop reading now! This composition is purely about the non-academic exploits of the 2008-2010 PGP batch of GIM.

I didnt believe in love at first sight, but that was until I visited GIM. The necessary and unnecessary flora and fauna aside, there isnt one thing about the class, the college or the state that I havent liked. If this is utopia, then I would just want to lock myself in time. Well! the romanticism might just get to you after a point of time. Hence now I would digress to the earthly elements here in GIM that have me glued to this place.

To begin with, 16th June was the day on which we reached the Madgaon railway station. It was 7 of us in the Amravati Express, and the beauty defining Dudh Sagar was enough of a demo for us for what lay ahead. We reached campus 2 days before the official arrival, and were we in for a surprise! We had the distinction of being the only boys from the batch of 2008-2010 to have had a one night affair with the Ladies Hostel (ground floor rooms), since the rest of the rooms were locked for the night.

The First Real Party, as I would like to call it, was on an eventful night when half of the PGP1 met up in Gene for a dinner time rendezvous, kudos to an initiative by the guitarist from OT-5. We spoke, screamed, barked (refer to jayanti lal), and sang songs with little respect for sur or taal. And soon we got a taste of the Goan rain- everyone ran for shelter. But not all of us were quenched of our thirst. We started a rain dance, which went all the way from the main gate to the hallowed grounds of the quad. The quad bore a heavy brunt of our madness, when we danced and sang for hours. Performances abound from everyone including the meandering damsel and Monjolika from LH, the Bihari from In Kargil.. and also yours (rapping) truly (Come on! Its my composition! I need some footage too ;))

The first real party was followed by many more celebrations, including the Mid-Summers night and the Freshers party in Butter Lounge. The Mid-Summers was a beautiful exposition of multiple talents from across the board. Be it our Mr. Fresher on his violin; or our actors, directors and scriptwriters who shone through their plays; or our technically sound or even the masala-maarke dancers. There wasnt one moment when the crowd wasnt entertained and not one compliment which wasnt showered.

The freshers party was just another experience for the PGP1s and PGP2s alike. We danced from sunset till almost sunrise- add to that the Nadal win on the freshers and what you get is 200 hyper and booty-shaking souls.

The mass celebrations aside, one can also see the free birds from PGP1 at any time in any hot spot in Goa. Fidalgo has become the 2nd home to the nocturnal coffee consumers from GIM, Miramar Beach being a location where someone from the campus can always be spotted, and Dona Paula being another vantage point where one can hear more crazy people singing or just contemplating their night through.

That was our first month in GIM and hopefully the next 23 too!

GIMite for life!
  • 5 Likes  

Tapan Bhai
It has been raining off and on in Goa this year.. The frequency of rain as well is the duration is very less as compared the previous year

whats the scene with the rains there ?

smiles

Tapan.
Memories
  • 1 Like  

whats the scene with the rains there ?

smiles

Tapan.
Memories

hmmm.....by now this must be looking a li'll bit familiar.....I know it does....its wat every one's post it for sunday mite be screaming....

1) eco test on tues.
2) mlr individual assignment.
3) Read companies act for monday.
4) OB presentation tuesday.
5) FAM assignment.
6) Communication 11th chapter and preparation of speech.
7) MLR group project.
Making calls for sponsorship for Samriddhi.

Guys i still cant believe that its just a month that we are here and we are already in knee deep assignments. The past two weeks has almost passed as a blur that you experience when you are sitting in a train and a speeding Rajdhani passes on the next track. The experience is somewhat similar. We had selections for various committees conducted last week, the placement cell, Public relations cell and the alumni committee. last weekend the Junior Placement reps were selected, who are a bunch of highly talented people from my batch and who shall take the placements to greater heights in the coming year. It includes Sunder,Shweta,Pratyush,Prachee,and Nagraj.

6:30 p.m, Admin block,F2 Room

Then on Friday we had the Public relations committe selections. After the Placement cell this is the most coveted cell at GIM and as anticipated there were a large no of applicants. They began with a written test that was aimed at evaluating the written as well as creative skills of the candidates. Everyone had 30 minutes to put down their thoughts.:bigear:

7:30 p.m, Admin Block,Placement Office

There was a notice put up for people with specific IT skills to contribute to the placement cell. Luckily since I did'nt have those skills and was also due for a goan meet was excused. Every single goan was invited , pseudo goans like me as well as goan domicile students.

8:00 p.m. Noah's Arc, Panjim Jetty.

We arrived in a group of around 40 ppl aboard the Noah's arc which was fully lighted and ready to take us in. There was good music,DJ,Goan food, and ofcourse what Goa and Goan's are know for .....BOOOOOOZE!!
People danced way past midnight while the cruise took us on a round of the sea and till the college. We all were happy to look at our college from the mandovi river which looked just magnificient.

12:50 a.m, GIM, Ribandar

Back at the college I saw that the interviews were already started and my no. was around the 25th. Taking it that every candidate is given 15 mins my turn wld'nt come before 4. So I thought better go to sleep for sometime.

1:00 a.m. 217A, OT

Back at the room I see my roomie Vaibhav aka "Bhau" reading stuff for the economics test that was due in a couple of days. I request him to wake me up at 3:00 and just hit the bed.....

3:30 a.m 217A, OT

I wake up rub my eyes......nd wonder where I am....suddenly I realise that tommorrow is the deadline for the Communications assignment........oh my god!!! I start on it and finish it at around 4 somehow(u know when ur on fire things suddenly seem to be done at a faster pace.....)

4:00 am F1 Room, Admin block

The scene outside my room balcony is that of anxious awaiting and I can see many of my batchmates roaming around in the campus. The only indication that it is still not day is that its dark outside,but all the lights in the hostel as well as the admin block are on.
I go towards the F1 room to see other candidates standing outside awaiting their turn. Finally my turn comes at around 5:20 a.m and I'm relieved. I enter the room and see my senior batchmates Akshay Raina, Selwyn, Neha, Byran and Meenu who are as fresh as ever. They begin with the question 'why Public relations'. I answer and then there is a series of questions that follows and what followed was a blur,the best part being that all of us were still awake by the time it ended.

6:15 217A,OT

Am back in my room exhausted but excited and hit my bed once again. I can hear birds chirping and other animals making sounds that indicated the beginning of "official" new day at GIM. I need to catch hold of some sleep not because I am sleepy but because I have to ensure that I donot fall asleep in class. ;)

I just ponder a while before I fall asleep. I must have certainly done one act of good in my life to be at such a place that always pushes me to my limits and keeps me going. :2gunfire:

Apart from this there is the Volleball tournament,The VIRU cup thats ongoing. My section PGP1 beat the combined team this saturday. There is a TT tournament coming up. Again Basanti cup that is the annual cricket tournament is around the corner. And then the big event i.e. BACCALAUREATES which is the Alumni meet that will be in August. So lots happening at campus and very little time to think for. At times 24 hrs seem too less:huh:.....

I would also like to mention here that a gr8 amount of effort has gone in keeping this thread rocking by jha(snape) and others and kudos to them.

• 5 Likes  

Well..to start off with...after reading so many posts there is not much left for me to touch upon..everything has been covered in such an extensive manner!!..Kudos guys!!...
Well the max i can do is paraphrase events from my angle...
The day i got into GIM was one of the most happiest days of my life..It had been my dream B school for the last couple of years and was mightily excited that my dream had come true.
I reached G.I.M on the morning of July 18 to realise that the campus had already been swarmed by PGP1s .The rest of the day went away in setting up the things and acquainting with the friends made on various public forums:)..The great things about this place is that since it is a smaller place u always barge into one another every other moment which results in a great bonding.My room is very near the entrance...On Day 1 there were 30 odd ppl in my room :)..thats the level of bonding we have here...
The first week went away in getting to know the place n this is where dinesh bhai and other pgp2s who were here helped us a gr8 deal and helped us getting ready for the real deal.
To reconfirm the fact that we were in a b-school..we started with a case study!!..from then it has been various groups,various subjects..but one thing has been constant..FUN...the fun element has been retained even when we work which makes this place stand apart...
The Midsummers gave PGP1s a chance to show their talent which was exhibited to the fullest possible level with around 40 events...It was followed by Freshers which gave us a sneak peek into the culture followed here at GIM..I already feel this place has given me so much..Its like I have already learnt more things than i ever did during my last 5 years..Many events have been conducted like ET Quiz,Brand Ambassador,Business Quiz etc..which have acted like stress busters(Sheesh we are already talkin about stress!!)
There are certain things which cant be put in words...Life@GIM is one of them....

Srikanth Balasubramanian
Class of 2010

• 4 Likes  

Planning the alumni party....please drop in suggestions as to locations.....

Tito's with either Ryan or that Butter guy....Joel, is it?
  • 1 Like  
Hey Tapan
DK said that our room was already booked by Ralph and also by Aris...As for the remaining rooms, well M sure that all the current Pgp 2's and for that matter , even the 1's will more than gladly welcome GIM's pride and HUL's lucky acquisition.... :)
Several rooms upstairs...All of the rooms on the right except Chinz's rooms are occupied by 2's....
But of course, u forget.....OT-GF is much much more happening this year...The action has shifted downstairs...so the cricket in the corridors, loud music and bakar sessions all happening downstairs....
Bucket Party as usual happening from 222 and Majumdar's old room....and this time some rock also please..??
College has been really hectic so far....Us poor mktg majors are getting sozzled in cases....we average a case per day for sure...The chilly has lined up 16 cases for us this term...!!! But he rules as usual...!
Heard u Guys planning to hire an entire bus and come from Mumbai..dats sounds COOL!!!

Thanks Allan!!

now 2 things here which i HAVE to mention:
1) OTFF still rocks
2) u mentioned everything but missed out Pela Pela....the following few lines dedicate to that great game which differentiates OTFF and OTGF in BIG way:

Pela Pela is an indoor game and hence is played only in corridors....and what is that we play? FOOTBALL with an empty glass...

The noise it creates is a big pain to many...but then, who cares!!

OTFF is gonna be what it is famous for....LOUD!!!

I might put up at Saakshi's room.....so lets c....A PR always goes to a PR man....can't help it!!

As far as marketing cases are concerned, take them seriously man...wud help u later in the placement process!!:smile:

and we are doing a mass booking....booking a bus is turning out to be very expensive man...!

smiles,

Tapan
Memories
  • 2 Likes  

Well after 3 days of less sleep and after MLR exam i am able to browse thru Pagalguy.....we had Ribander talks in which speaker was Mr Hiru Bijlani...It was a good session and very well organised by our Rahul and Raghav........Also in blitzkrieg it was a very well conducted business quiz by Hriday team...We reached the final round but couldnt win...Tough Luck I must say......Mr Snape(Jha Saheb) and Ms pooja won with a consistent performance..Next target is ET quiz on Monday....And now i m going back to the Eco case study....

• 1 Like  

Hey Tapan
DK said that our room was already booked by Ralph and also by Aris...As for the remaining rooms, well M sure that all the current Pgp 2's and for that matter , even the 1's will more than gladly welcome GIM's pride and HUL's lucky acquisition.... :)
Several rooms upstairs...All of the rooms on the right except Chinz's rooms are occupied by 2's....
But of course, u forget.....OT-GF is much much more happening this year...The action has shifted downstairs...so the cricket in the corridors, loud music and bakar sessions all happening downstairs....
Bucket Party as usual happening from 222 and Majumdar's old room....and this time some rock also please..??
College has been really hectic so far....Us poor mktg majors are getting sozzled in cases....we average a case per day for sure...The chilly has lined up 16 cases for us this term...!!! But he rules as usual...!
Heard u Guys planning to hire an entire bus and come from Mumbai..dats sounds COOL!!!

• 3 Likes  

This week has been quiet happening for the Marketing guys of our batch... 2 cases per day on an average to solve.. some 3-4 reading materials.. Some CONB exercise to be done by visiting various stores in Panjim (It was raining quiet heavily on that day).. and if it was CONB, MI and Retail next day.. there definately were some outliers in the upper side of the data.. which caused the mean deviate and the curve became highly skewed...

Sorry for the use of Statistics language.. but cant help as I already had a DA test and tried to prepare well for it.. And these are the after-effects of the preparation...

Well the events by various clubs have picked up pace now.. HRiday yesterday hosted the business quiz and our Snape did well to get the 1st prize along with his mate......

SOFIA is organising ET Quiz everyday for all ET addicts to earn some good bucks... SOFIA is also organizing FAM classes for the Juniors to get there basics on Accounting firm...

Ribandar Talks today is hosting Mr. Hiru Bijlani for the talk... The PR cell of GIM also hosted a event "Brand Ambassdor" for the PGP1s..

PGP1s along with not only attending these events but also winning most of them did give a MLR test.. submitted a MLR assignment and are preparing for ECO test scheduled next week...

So it was hectic week for juniors also... Its not the end here.. The club recruitments have started..

And already we have our JPRs (Junior Placement Reps) in place.. Today the PR cell and the Alumni Committee is holding its interviews of the post of JCCs..

Cheers

• 1 Like  

Well the last time's bucket party organisers were Sachit a.k.a R3D D3VIL and Kochar...

So I suppose its going to be the same..

Dude...OTFF is gonna be what it is known for!! Music....booze....and full masti!! Who is playing the host for the bucket party this time??

Music is gonna be played continuously atleast when we r on campus

Bucket party would take care of booze....and then masti...well, u know about it !!

smiles,

Tapan.
Memories
  • 1 Like  

@ Tapan.. There are around 22 PGP2s in OTFF out of the capacity of 55 people.. so a good 40%.. But then GIM is your own.. From OT to HT to Admin ( not LH this year, thanks to the number of girls in PGP1 batch)...Why OTFF only..!!! :-o

Dude...OTFF is gonna be what it is known for!! Music....booze....and full masti!! Who is playing the host for the bucket party this time??

Music is gonna be played continuously atleast when we r on campus

Bucket party would take care of booze....and then masti...well, u know about it !!

smiles,

Tapan.
Memories
..went to NH-17(If you like North Indian food,then I suppose Nh-17 is a pretty good place
PRASENJIT CHOUDHURY
2008099 - Goa Institute of Management

Dude dont remind of the mouthwatering kebabs of NH17..the kandahari , makhmali..hariyali...and what not kebabs... I was a regular there..try out the chicken peshwari there...

You lucky buggers..make the most of now
  • 2 Likes  

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

453 people follow this discussion.