Life @ tiss (straight from our hearts)

Hey folks , here you have a thread to cater to all your queries about the life at TISS as HRM & LR students . you can shoot a variety of queries like: 1\. The hostel accomodation availability and how to go about it. 2\. The lovely cam...

Follow this discussion to get notified of latest updates.
Page 3 of 38   
My first post (so to speak :P)
Most recently, on the 28th of December, 2012, we had an interaction session with Dr Santrupt Misra, who is currently the CEO of Carbon Black industries of Aditya Birla Group and is currently the Group Director of HR in ABG. He is also one of our revered alumni from the batch of 1984. He had also served as a professor in the institute, prior to joining Unilever.

His guest lecture was on HR and the challenges it faces in the future. Additional to this, we also have senior people such as Sandeep Girotra, the Global Head of HR from Ranbaxy coming to interact with senior batch soon enough. There are always interaction sessions between the batches and highly placed alumni in the industry, which makes TISS an ideal place to be in.

Also, being a part of the Placement Committee makes it a lot more fun interacting with people from various industries and companies. Balancing it all with academics makes it challenging but a lot of fun overall

Life had been super hectic off late. before coming to any conclusions on the work load of fourth semester, let me clarify...

we have our fourth and final fieldwork this semester . having had experience of 3 fieldworks and with 56 fellow classmates completing the same no of fieldworks, we are fairly equipped of all the info required to do any project given to us by the companies :p

well coming back to the topic ( Hectic life), its all about placements.....
Our laterals have already started and companies keep coming ...
The first most imp question is to whether to attend the interview or not ( salaries are quite good in all companies, but having looked at almost 5 sectors in fieldworks and summers make u attracted towards few sectors and also repulsive to quite a few)

The next important part is whether the company u opted will give u a shortlist or not ....:P

Last , by some turn of luck and hardwork u had done some time back , if u do happen to get a shortlist , the interviewers bombard u with the dreaded questions.....

Why MBA , and why haven't u continued in the job u had ( common,dude u should be kidding...which software engineer in India dont want to do an MBA ;)

Why HR ???( No respite ....u would face this question once again....i am bored of explaining how HR can be a strategic Business partner :P)

What are ur strengths ...what are ur weakness....tell me an instance where u worked in a team ....( should be kidding right ......) and when u had burnt the midnight oil (ok.....wasted so much power and sacrificed watching videos streaming on youtube on college broadband) and studied with labour laws and stuff ...
the interviewer cooly smiles and says " U are from TISS its taken for granted u are goodin subjects ", now tell me ur strengths ( %#E##*(#)@)@)

Life moves on update would be when i get placed ..
Anvesh Chunduri MA ( HRM &LR ) Class of 2013 

As a semester full of excitement and learning comes to an end, it gives me an opportunity to look back and share my own experiences about life at TISS.

On one hand we had Meghmudra, freshers, and the Union elections which turned out to be memorable fun events. On the other hand a lot of seminars and informative sessions were organized. The sessions on Manesar incidents , mergers and acquisitions as mentioned above were so informative that the learning would guide us in our professional life in the years to come. Field work and classes ensure that we have some assignment to do everyday. But the class enjoyed every single day, thoroughly, whenever we got free time. Huge credit for this goes to our class representative Pankaj Raut, who keeps coming up with interesting activities and technical ideas. Our class has used technology extensively this year, every lecture and activity tracked online and communicated using sms.
We will have a five day week for students in the second semester allowing us a free weekend . Also looking forward to Manthan, which promises to be a fun filled event. To conclude, the first few months at TISS were fantastic, and its only going to get better from here.
As this is the time for exams, I wish good luck to all aspirants.
  • 1 Like  
@gdm4u87 Hey Gaurav, really inquisitive to know how the pre-conference session with Dan Buchner went yesterday.Is it possible to share some takeaways from the conference? Would be really helpful. Thanks.

Attaching an image showing a few details related to the Interrobang event

• 1 Like  
Dr. Gaurav Mehta, HRM&LR Batch of 2012-14, TISS-Mumbai

Recently, the Asia-Pacific HR head of CitiBank came for a guest lecture. Gave us an idea about how it is to be working in different geographies and people from different cultures. Interesting insights I must say.

We have the ITC-Interrobang event tomorrow and from the description of it, it seems to be lot of fun along with learning. Let's see how it turns out to be.
And yes, not to forget, the exam for the second module of foundation courses has been scheduled on 8th of Sept.
Everyday, I have been thinking of studying but somehow, it's not happening
Have to start from today

Next month, that is, on September 28th and 29th, we are organizing Global Innovation Forum here at TISS. Here are some of the details:

Renowned experts, practitioners, thought leaders and researchers in the area of Innovation will address the audience on successful practices, organisational environments and tools that foster innovation and on scaling innovations.

The CEO/ Director round tables will bring together renowned business leaders to deliberate on various mechanisms for creating an innovation eco system in our context. They will reflect on the complex environmental challenges and contribute to policy development at various levels.

List of confirmed speakers include among others:

1. Mr. Stephen Khan, Minister for advanced education and enterprise, Govt. Of Alberta, Canada.

2. Dan Buchner, Director, Innovation Incubator, The Centre for Creative Leadership(CCL), USA

3. Mr. Aditya K. Roy, Director of People Operations, Asia Pacific, Google, Singapore

4. Prof. Marcel Bogers, Associate Professor at University of Southern Denmark, Denmark

5. Dr. Raj Minhas, Associate Director, Xerox Research Centre

There will be a Pre Conference Workshop on the 27 September, 2012 by Dan Buchner about Leading Your Organization for Innovation.

For more details (in case you are interested ), refer:;

Yesterday, we had a round table conference discussing the issue of violence and its repercussions at the Manesar plant of Maruti...Esteemed speakers addressed both the batches--the juniors and the seniors...Very good learning experience

Now you would say we hear about such discussions every now and then...What is so new about this??
Well, that is what differentiates TISS from others...One of the speakers was the General Secretary of a workers' union and he was given as much time to speak as were the VPs of two renowned companies (one of the VPs is an alumnus of TISS)

We are done with our FC module-1 examination...Probably for the first time in my life, I have written an exam without having any clue about it (and yet, knowing all of it)

Posting after a long long time here...The new version of PG had put me off initially

But i guess i can't do without PG

It has been quite some time since we went for the trek...But the memories are still very fresh...Very nicely organized by the seniors...We enjoyed quite a lot...It was fun and masti all the way and the bonding between the two batches has grown by leaps and bounds since then

Meghmudra happened on 3rd of August...Sadly, the long tradition was broken this time...It did not rain at all (not even mild showers
But that was more than compensated by an awesome performance by our batch...We have a seasoned choreographer in the batch (actually!!) and she did a wonderful job in pulling off the performance

Now some more exciting news--Yesterday was our freshers party
Again, great job by the seniors...The mentor-mentee secret revealing session was fun and so was the venue (and not to forget the most important--the food
We danced like anything yesterday...And many amongst us drank like anything too
Details when u come to TISS

And now for some not so good news--The exam for the first module is happening on this saturday and the stuff is so boring that i doubt if i would be able to study even on friday
Let's see

P.S.--Sharing a pic from MeghMudra here...Have a look and feel jealous

@[279717:Hemanth_Karna]: not to forget the unlimited strategies we devised during the campaigning process.

It would have been great had our other candidates from HR also win in the elections , but the voting percentage recieved is quite satisfactory

I am elected as the new CR for HRM & LR ....and its not as fun as it sounds as every one expects u to be present in all the sessions all the time :P

Its the time for traditional trek and every thing set for it ...all that is required to make it more fun is abundance of rain tommorow ( some people are planning to carry rain coats ..they are not aware of what waits for them )

third sem is not hectic as second one in TISS and we have a lot of breather place ..the days zip past in a zoom and its fun time to be in campus
Anvesh Chunduri MA ( HRM &LR ) Class of 2013 

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

317 people follow this discussion.