About this discussion

Last updated

Author
XXXXX @sravans

Tags

Krannert Fall 2012 MBA Applicants

Hi, I havent seen any thread related to Krannert MBA admissions for fall 2012, Purdue University. So I start the new thread for the same. I am a prospective applicant and have submitted the application for Nov 1st deadline. I am awa...
Follow this discussion to get notified of latest updates.
Page 2 of 34   

Dear all I was reading that thread and it was really helpful. Can u ppl guide me on the MSF program at Krannert. I got to speak to a cople of MBA and one MSF student at Krannert and they said that MSF is like accelerated MBA finance. The curriculum is good, the faculty and the facilities seem fine but do you ppl think that international students can get jobs in the financial industry at the US after the MSF?
I am currently holding offers from both krannert and Simon. I was inclined towards simon but simon is significantly more expensive. Please guide me. Any help will be greatly appreciated as I am short on time. Thank You all. Any info on Krannert MSF will be appreciated.
My stats
GPA 3.0
GMAT 680
Experience 1 year
Good on extra curricular

Hey Bharat

Why dont you invite people whom you might have met during the Krannert weekend to the FB page.

I was planning on doing that, but then i was told that there will be an official Facebook page for class of 2014 from the Krannert admission team.

~Bharath
Admissions open at Goa Institute of Managemnet

Studying at GIM will change you; transforming you into a competent leader. A learning experience based on Ethics, Diversity, Innovation, Research and Social Sensitivity, specifically designed to launch you into a rewarding and successful career.

Apply Now.

Learn more about us.

Start Downloading

Hey Bharat

Why dont you invite people whom you might have met during the Krannert weekend to the FB page.

I'm sure there will be a lot of people interested in sharing accommodation. I know for sure i am interested in sharing accommodation. You are right that offcampus is cheaper, but its also less convenient. Students stay in Rawls until 1 or 2 at night. If you're staying within a 5 minute walking distance, its easier to just go home and crash. Its a pain to walk for 15 minutes after you have had an 18 hour day(worse when its -10C outside).

But im sure you have a plan and i would love to hear what you have to say.

~Bharath

Hi Guys,

So did the new admits accept the offer from Krannert yet?

~Bharath

devonnet Says
I am not going the sell the car. I might need it for other errands too. But I would be glad if anyone is ready to share expenses

Satish -

you are right . Parking is big issue.

Parking - Krannert School of Management
Thanks Bharath!!
Can you let me know when GCS will contact us with the resume format and when we'll get to know about the companies that'll be coming to the fair.
Will all of this info be provided after we reach d campus or prior to that ?

I believe they would contact us sometime in June. I doubt the list of companies that come to campus would be made available in advance. I assume that the list varies significantly year after year. My suggestion would be to make a list of your own companies that you want to get into. Don't rely on campus placements.

All the information that you need to know along with the details of what you need to do will be shared with you once you come to campus. The advice is to start on this much before as it will make it easier on you. 2-3 weeks is hardly enough to prepare for a career fair, when you have to worry about things like accomodation, SSN, GA hunt (in case you have already not got one) and on borading.

Regards,
Bharath
  • 1 Like  
Hi,

As I said earlier, staying off-campus is pretty much cheaper and commuting from there in car is a very good idea. You have a challenge here. I got to know from the current students that the parking passes near Rawl's hall and in the garage opposite to Union have been sold out for the next year. I'm not sure if that is true. The other option is street parking which is only for 2 hours.

I too have a car, but no parking pass will not help me. We can always check to see if we get a parking pass.

Hope this helps.

-Satish.

I am not going the sell the car. I might need it for other errands too. But I would be glad if anyone is ready to share expenses
Thanks Bharath!!
Can you let me know when GCS will contact us with the resume format and when we'll get to know about the companies that'll be coming to the fair.

Ankur,

GCS will reach to us probably in the next 2 weeks with the standard resume template they want us to follow. The Krannert Launch is on Aug 6th. So, those first 2 weeks are for the orientation and team building activities. They didn't tell us about the companies visiting the fair. So, guessing they will be coming to us as time approaches.
  • 1 Like  

Thanks Bharath!!

Hi Ankur,

The career fair is in September. Since the time is really short, it is better to prepare a one page resume right away. There is a format and you will be contacted by GCS. The whole plan is to be prepared well before the career fair. Decide on the companies that you want to get into, rank them on priority and then work towards that. When i say work towards that i mean things like interview preparation, trying to find a contact (through friends, seniors, relatives etc) and resume modifications that suit a particular profile. When Satish mentioned portfolio, this is what he was talking about.

The career fair will be for getting an internship. If you're a second year student, it will be for securing a full time job.

Hope it helps

~Bharath
devonnet Says
My friend who passed last year said that offcampus is cheaper . Staying offcampus and commuting is preferable. I have a car . Any one interested in pooling.. avg expenses per month = 150$

Hi,

As I said earlier, staying off-campus is pretty much cheaper and commuting from there in car is a very good idea. You have a challenge here. I got to know from the current students that the parking passes near Rawl's hall and in the garage opposite to Union have been sold out for the next year. I'm not sure if that is true. The other option is street parking which is only for 2 hours.

I too have a car, but no parking pass will not help me. We can always check to see if we get a parking pass.

Hope this helps.

-Satish.
devonnet Says
My friend who passed last year said that offcampus is cheaper . Staying offcampus and commuting is preferable. I have a car . Any one interested in pooling.. avg expenses per month = 150$

I'm sure there will be a lot of people interested in sharing accommodation. I know for sure i am interested in sharing accommodation. You are right that offcampus is cheaper, but its also less convenient. Students stay in Rawls until 1 or 2 at night. If you're staying within a 5 minute walking distance, its easier to just go home and crash. Its a pain to walk for 15 minutes after you have had an 18 hour day(worse when its -10C outside).

But im sure you have a plan and i would love to hear what you have to say.

~Bharath
Hi Satish,

Could you shed some light on the below mentioned points :

1) Resume : Is this the requirement of a specific department and what exactly will be done with it at the start of the classes. Is there a specific format they have suggested ?
2) Portfolio : Do you refer to photographs or something else ?

Also, 5th Oct Career fair....what is expected from us there ? interns something ?

Thanks,
Ankur

Hi Ankur,

The career fair is in September. Since the time is really short, it is better to prepare a one page resume right away. There is a format and you will be contacted by GCS. The whole plan is to be prepared well before the career fair. Decide on the companies that you want to get into, rank them on priority and then work towards that. When i say work towards that i mean things like interview preparation, trying to find a contact (through friends, seniors, relatives etc) and resume modifications that suit a particular profile. When Satish mentioned portfolio, this is what he was talking about.

The career fair will be for getting an internship. If you're a second year student, it will be for securing a full time job.

Hope it helps

~Bharath
Hi,

Offcampus is pretty much cheaper than oncampus obviously. There are couple of things you need to consider before making a decision.
1. Oncampus costs are $300-500 per person excluding electricity bills, at a walkable distance to Rawl's hall where our classes will be held. They lease single bedroom for 1 person in a 3 BHK or 4 BHK apartments. 1 BHK are rare, but you can find them around $450. It is suggested to stay on hill as it gets very difficult in winters to walk uphill in the cold and snow.Offcampus costs are cheaper. You can get a 1 BHK at the same price. The cost of 2 BHK and 3 BHK flats depends on the distance from the campus. It is preferable to stay to the west side of the river.
2. The last bus from the campus to the city is mostly around 7PM. You would be staying in the campus till 9-10PM most of the days. If you have other option for commuting (car or car pool), you can choose to stay offcampus.

Coming to NOI, I haven't filled it yet. I'm planning to fill it this week.

Krannert Launch is on Aug 6th. It will go for 2 weeks before our actual classes start. I'm planning to reach there weekend before aug 6th.

I guess there is already a FB page for Class of 2014.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Hi Satish,

Could you shed some light on the below mentioned points :

1) Resume : Is this the requirement of a specific department and what exactly will be done with it at the start of the classes. Is there a specific format they have suggested ?
2) Portfolio : Do you refer to photographs or something else ?

Also, 5th Oct Career fair....what is expected from us there ? interns something ?

Thanks,
Ankur

But, something important that we need to start working immediately would be on
1. One page Resume
2. Portfolio
3. I forgot the 3rd one. Sorry

We need to report for Krannert Launch on Aug 6th. Krannert Launch is from Aug 6th to Aug 17th, the second week being about Team building activities. Classes start from Aug 20th. The first Career fair is on Oct 5th. So, it all going to be sitting on your head right away. Do not worry. We would get support from GCS (name changing to LGL - Launching Global Leaders) and Clubs (Operations Club, Consulting Club, Finance Club and others).
sxkx7 Says
Not Sure. I'm not a part of it yet. So, haven't paid attention. ;)

I am sure, because i am a part of it

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

62 people follow this discussion.