ISB Class of 2013 aspirants

Dear Puys, Though this may seem a little early but thought to getting started with the effort and the journey of making it to one of the most premier B schools in our country. My Profile - Work Exp - 1.5+ yrs, consumer products (Ni...
Follow this discussion to get notified of latest updates.
Page 260 of 726   
kaur Jas Says
Good luck!! :)

Thanks a lot and I wish u the same for tomm....:):)
akb1234 Says
Got it on 7th...

Good luck!!
One Year PGPM @ Great Lakes

Post Graduate Program in Management (PGPM)

- 1 Year Fast Track MBA Program

- Accredited by AMBA, UK

- Ranked 7th by Outlook & Business Today in 2014

- Avg. CTC of INR 11.43 Lakhs in 2014

App. Deadline: 30 November, 2014

Learn More

10+ Global Associations with Leading Schools/ Universities

25+ International Visiting Faculty from Stanford, Yale, Kellogg, etc.

50+ National Level Prizes Won by Students in 2013-14

100+ Industry Leaders on Campus in 2013-14

3000+ Alumni Network spread over 28 Countries

Know More
Ohh.. how i wish Adcom also strongly feels all that u r feeling !!!
BTW.. U done with your interview?

Got it on 7th...

Ohh.. how i wish Adcom also strongly feels all that u r feeling !!!
BTW.. U done with your interview?

kaur Jas Says
well.. for me its been 9 days now.. got a mail on 26th.. replied on 27th.. nothing since then.. :(

I Understand ur pain.... Hope tomm turns out to be a brighter day for u... I strongly feel ISB will be shooting quite a many mails tomm...

well.. for me its been 9 days now.. got a mail on 26th.. replied on 27th.. nothing since then..

gs18 Says
I got the same query from ISB and after i sent it, got an Interview invite in 2 days.

I guess in the end it is dual edged sword.. Unless the person who reads ur mail does not notice anything great, consideration will not be given...

hey can anybody tell me if an business analyst profile is given preference over an IT profille in admissions to MBA colleges??

Hi dude,

U mean to say writing them a one page write up.. but would they accept it.. i guess u are kidding.. are u?

No dude I am not kidding... Only do mail them if U have some major career development such as promotion or opportunity to work in a major project or resolved a major issue... Do drop in a mail and u will be acknowledged... In the end it is a call U have to take judiciously.. Sending across a mail without any major info may even prove to be negative...
kaur Jas Says
hi.. in my application completion & verification mail I was also asked to provide an explanation for a gap between my graduation & work.. but haven't received any acknowledgement of the same from ISB yet.. so m not really sure if they'd actually consider your additional essays/ write ups..

I got the same query from ISB and after i sent it, got an Interview invite in 2 days.

hi.. in my application completion & verification mail I was also asked to provide an explanation for a gap between my graduation & work.. but haven't received any acknowledgement of the same from ISB yet.. so m not really sure if they'd actually consider your additional essays/ write ups..

akb1234 Says
I know many are waiting for a call and ISB does plan to have interviews on 4/5 feb in Delhi.. So if anyone among those waiting for the mail, you can send across a small 100-200 word letter to ISB via email on any major development in ur career post submission of essay... They do acknowledge the information and ur file is also updated.. So those who want to still persist, here is another chance to say Why ISB needs to offer u an I/V call :)

Hi dude,

U mean to say writing them a one page write up.. but would they accept it.. i guess u are kidding.. are u?

I know many are waiting for a call and ISB does plan to have interviews on 4/5 feb in Delhi.. So if anyone among those waiting for the mail, you can send across a small 100-200 word letter to ISB via email on any major development in ur career post submission of essay... They do acknowledge the information and ur file is also updated.. So those who want to still persist, here is another chance to say Why ISB needs to offer u an I/V call

Folks,

In short, I believe the individual scores etc don't matter if you have solid answers ready in your head and can make them flow from your heart to your app. Make the complete picture stick!

Pretty long post and a wonderful one... I loved the way u put ur points across in such a wonderful manner and clearly shows that u have done ur bit of introspection before finishing off with ur app... Hope I get admitted into ISB and we both discuss many such issues over a hot cup of coffee or any other social drink acceptable :biggrin::biggrin:
Rightly said bro.. If guys do take some time analyzing the stats of those i/v in R1 as per the stats shared in this place

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvXQFzEEqHSxdEZNemY2QThkRUdJZk5yMTNSSEJJZlE&hl;=en_US#gid=2

You can actually see there are around 6-7 people from IT domain with score less than 700 who have got a call..

Nwayz I guess by tomm, Delhi first round of i/v calls will be done.. So puys do maintain ur enthusiasm for some more time... :):):)

Folks,

6-7 people making it/getting interview calls from IT domain with less than 700 are the exceptions that further prove the generally applicable rule.

Let me try to state it this way: every good/great/awesome thing you do in life is a 'spike' on your resume. The uniqueness and difficulty of this achievement defines how high this spike will look on your career time line.

If I were going through resumes at ISB (I go through 100's every month at my workplace) I'd look for spikes and see how frequently they occur and how high they are.

A period of no spikes may be offset by a period of very tall spikes. Frequently spaced short spikes may offset the absence of any tall spikes.

ISB will probably look at your ENTIRE profile and hunt for these spikes. Good high school grades, college scores, extra-curriculars, GMAT, professional workex, the company you work at, the number of people you manage, the job function, your future plan and its fit with ISB and your past.

There'll be plenty of 700+ GMAT scores that ISB will not admit because the gmat score couldn't fill up some of the other voids in the profile. So far I've stated nothing that you didn't already know and shouldn't yawn at.

Here's what you can do to assess your odds - make sure you have at least 3 short and 2 tall spikes. This is entirely my own theory and is perhaps crap but see if this works for you.

3 parts of your profile that you are happy to talk about.
2 parts of your profile that you are super proud of.

Even if you don't think of these as 3 or 2 etc. just try breaking your profile down into these. If you start finding it very difficult to come up with these parts then there's more to think about and your odds are perhaps a little difficult.

I've mentioned this before - the bschool is looking for 3 main things:
1. Your 'employability' at graduation time.
2. Your ability to complete the coursework in time and without failure and with good odds of making it to the dean's list.
3. The special bits in your profile that will benefit other students - mainly experience.

If you can match parts of your profile with these three factors, you'll find it easier to address the questions the school will have for you.

1. Why should ISB be confident that I'll find a job at graduation - what about my previous employment suggests I'm competitive and likable. How coherent is my plan for employment as of now.

2. Why should ISB be confident that I will complete courses with honesty and integrity and choose my coursework appropriately based on my future plan.

3. What can I talk about with students at ISB that ISB will want them to hear? What unique experiences have I had that make me, me.

---------------

In short, I believe the individual scores etc don't matter if you have solid answers ready in your head and can make them flow from your heart to your app. Make the complete picture stick!

• 10 Likes  

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

1120 people follow this discussion.