About this discussion

Last updated

Author
Hari Raghavachari @baccardisprite

Tags

International educational options beyond the MBA

Hello PGs, Having been a PG for the last 2+ years, and having observed posts and threads across the International Section of the forums, I find that many are relatively less aware of some of the other interesting educational avenues availabl...
Follow this discussion to get notified of latest updates.
Page 35 of 105   

The reason I'm looking at this program is because it's curriculum is no different from MBA curriculum + it costs half of MBA + is meant for young professionals...

I have a very common place profile that every IT professional from India has...I'm 2 years into IT...

I am looking at coming back to India in 2 years post graduating from the program...Given this, is it a good idea to go to HEC Paris for an MiM(mktg specialization)...

How well are MiM degrees valued in India? In short is it thought equivalent to PGDM IIMs?
I'm asking this because I see IIM-A feature in the FT MiM ranking list of 2011...

Also, share your views about IE business school's master in international management (Sales n Mktg) program...

Certain other schools that rank high on MiM are ESCP Europe, Essec Business School, ESADE

Thx,
Nandini

How good is the MSc. in management program from HEC Paris from ROI perspective? Is it a good idea to pursue a degree like MiM from a French Bschool?

How good is the Masters in Management of IE Business school?Currently it doesn't feature in FT rankings...

One Year PGPM @ Great Lakes

Post Graduate Program in Management (PGPM)

- 1 Year Fast Track MBA Program

- Accredited by AMBA, UK

- Ranked 7th by Outlook & Business Today in 2014

- Avg. CTC of INR 11.43 Lakhs in 2014

App. Deadline: 30 November, 2014

Learn More

10+ Global Associations with Leading Schools/ Universities

25+ International Visiting Faculty from Stanford, Yale, Kellogg, etc.

50+ National Level Prizes Won by Students in 2013-14

100+ Industry Leaders on Campus in 2013-14

3000+ Alumni Network spread over 28 Countries

Know More

How good is the MSc. in management program from HEC Paris from ROI perspective? Is it a good idea to pursue a degree like MiM from a French Bschool?

How good is the Masters in Management of IE Business school?Currently it doesn't feature in FT rankings...

Career Goals?

All the best
Baccardisprite

Hi,

Thnx for replying.

I am looking to get international experience and enrich my knowledge with MS in CS/IT. Ultimately for a change in my job profile.

As mentioned in my previous posts, would like to get into any of the reputed universities in US or Europe with cost (including living expense) not greater than 20k USD.

Could you suggest some of the countries where education is growing good and the cost is comparatively less.

I am looking for Sweden/Germany compared to US/UK. Suggest on the same as well please !!

Hi,

I am really glad and thankful for coming across such a informative thread of yours.:D

My profile in short.
Qualifications: B.Tech (Mechanical Eng)
Work experience : 4.5 yrs in an Indian software MNC. Presently working as systems analyst.
GMAT : 640. Planning to take GMAT once again
Extra curricular activities : Average
Target schools: Any one of ISB, NUS, Nanyang, S.P. Jain Global school and some other North American schools

I am planning to attend MBA classes in 2013. Meanwhile I am planning to add some more differentiating points to my profile. As of now, I have started learning a french language. I will be able to complete beginners levels (a1-a2) before I start applying in aug 2012.
Meanwhile I am also considering to attain another degree (through distance education) from University of London (UoL) in Economics and Management.
Though I will not be able to complete the degree by Aug 2012, I am considering that this degree will help making my profile strong for next yr (in case, if I fail getting an admission).

I would like to receive ur valuable comments on the value of this degree (UoL International programs) in general and by the b-schools. Will it be considered as strong differentiating point on my resume. Or any other ideas that I should consider.

Regards,
Chetan

Hi baccardisprite,
really happy to come across this thread regarding options beyond MBA.
i would like some help regarding a few questions i have about Msc courses in UK
My profile is as follows
May 2009 to Aug 2009 as relationship manager with HSBCinvestdirect
Jan 2010 to July 2011 Business Analyst(SAS Analyst) with Cscape Tech.
looking for a Job change at the moment in the same field
Base SAS certified
Business Economics Graduate with 53.8%
I have my own social service venture and also a founding member of an NGO working on blood donations

i have been looking into Msc business analytics or marketing analytics as per different universities. i wish to remain in the field of analytics and hence looking for masters in the same. however i do not know much about Msc and its value and also its worth in India, would like to work in UK for some time but seems that the situation is not too bright.

the universities i have been looking at are lancaster and warwick. i have been informed by my counselor that warwick is unlikely however lancaster i can be hopeful about. however i have a lot of questions about lancaster, its reputation, services in terms of career, since i have been told that lancaster university is situated in a small town, does that impact job opportunities. also MBA abroad seems unlikely at the moment and even 2 to 3 years down the line due to financial constraints.
So is Msc an option for masters at the risk of being domain specific.
also if you could answer the pros and cons of lancaster, ways of improving your applications, info regarding Msc marketing analytics if any

Thanks a ton Baccardisprite!! Well my academics are average, will need to get the other two pretty right to have a strong application going for me.Thanks once again really appreciate the insight you've provided.

Regards,
luckyinjay

Hey Baccardisprite,

Thanks a ton for your reply, not at all,infact you were right :). Well the reason for the education stems from two things. Primarily being the kick I get out of the work I have been doing i.e high level BI Dashboards assisting Big Heads (External Clients ) in making strategic decisions with regards to their business, process improvements across various business areas with BI. Which basically requires putting myself in their shoes and I have enjoyed it thoroughly. Hence that urge to get an MBA/Masters degree under my belt. And the Second being moving out from an IT services setup as it does get stagnating over the long run with it running into routine a operational stuff though you do have options as that of a pure Technical Architect or a Pre Sales. Business Development role is an interesting option, well Business Dev isnt bad but really not too keen at it.

Hence was looking at being on the other side make that difference with the experience I have had and the need for getting that elusive MBA under my belt.Having worked in the finance and manufacturing verticals, I was looking at possible areas for specialization as Corporate Strategy/Finance Or Operations /Consulting with my BI background backing me on these fronts.
It was then I stumbled upon Business Analytics or say Operation Research and was exploring on these as a possible career advancement options, was exploring on these fronts and was looking at other possible areas that could be of use with my BI background.

I don't think your intended career is functionally too great a change from your current career, only a strong commercial element added, which makes sense. I would recommend a strong 1 year MBA/PGPX program with electives spanning, finance, technology and strategy. IF you can swing a 720-730 in the GMAT, and craft a compelling story through your essays as to why an MBA is necessary for your career, I don't think you'll have a problem landing interviews with schools. Just put together a strong application, hopefully your academics were alright, and you have a set of people that will write cogent, well argued recommendations to the adcomms of the schools.

As for the schools - PGPX's at IIMs A/B/C, SP Jain, ISB, INSEAD (Europe / Singapore), IMD, Cambridge, Oxford. Research the programs well and choose no more than 4 schools, any one of which you would be equally happy to attend.

All the best
Baccardisprite
  • 2 Likes  
Hi Baccardisprite,
First of all I would convey my deepest regard for such a informative thread.

My details are as follows:

Qualification - B.Tech. (E&C;), MBA (Finance)
Work Ex -4 years
GMAT - Not taken
Role - Currently working in a marketing role in IBM India.

I have work experience of Software Industry and Manufacturing Industry for last 4 years.I am looking for some opportunities in consulting domain,general management or finance.My priority is consulting domain.

Kindly guide me the courses(domestic and international) which will be beneficial for my future.

Thanking you in advance

If consulting is your goal, and you have enjoyed quick career progress in your role with IBM, your profile and experience is in the sweet-spot for consulting (strategy, operations or technology). Look for a Top 10 US MBA, INSEAD / LBS in the EU, INSEAD Singapore! In the US Top 10-15, look for the schools that are affiliated to Universities with strong Engineering Schools. It widens the recruiter base for you, possibly also offers educational possibilities in the techno-managerial space. All these schools have 4 elements which will enable your career push into consulting:

1. Strong recruitment by all the consulting majors (avg 10%+ of the class), therefore a strong alumni base in consulting firms of all kinds, large & small, broad and niche

2. Well regarded elective groups in strategy, finance, operations and technology; which will offer you the possibility to mix & match courses

3. Top notch career services office, with the street credibility to bring the consulting firms to present on campus, allowing you to meet and network with alumni / people from the firms you target

4. Well established, student run consulting clubs, offering presentations and networking opportunities from alumni in consulting, case interview practice and other career resources, guidance and mentorship

Recommendation:

1. Be patient and strategize applications for fall 2012; 5 years experience is way better than 4. Another year of career progress (hopefully)
2. Prepare well for, and try acing the GMAT (740+ would help a lot)
3. Hopefully you had good grades in your academics
4. Learn a foreign language to at least intermediate / business fluency
5. Please look at your financial situation and see how you can manage funds (save every penny you can).

All the best
Baccardisprite

Hi Baccardisprite,
First of all I would convey my deepest regard for such a informative thread.

My details are as follows:

Qualification - B.Tech. (E&C;), MBA (Finance)
Work Ex -4 years
GMAT - Not taken
Role - Currently working in a marketing role in IBM India.

I have work experience of Software Industry and Manufacturing Industry for last 4 years.I am looking for some opportunities in consulting domain,general management or finance.My priority is consulting domain.

Kindly guide me the courses(domestic and international) which will be beneficial for my future.

Thanking you in advance

Hey Baccardisprite,

Thanks a ton for your reply, not at all,infact you were right :). Well the reason for the education stems from two things. Primarily being the kick I get out of the work I have been doing i.e high level BI Dashboards assisting Big Heads (External Clients ) in making strategic decisions with regards to their business, process improvements across various business areas with BI. Which basically requires putting myself in their shoes and I have enjoyed it thoroughly. Hence that urge to get an MBA/Masters degree under my belt. And the Second being moving out from an IT services setup as it does get stagnating over the long run with it running into routine a operational stuff though you do have options as that of a pure Technical Architect or a Pre Sales. Business Development role is an interesting option, well Business Dev isnt bad but really not too keen at it.

Hence was looking at being on the other side make that difference with the experience I have had and the need for getting that elusive MBA under my belt.Having worked in the finance and manufacturing verticals, I was looking at possible areas for specialization as Corporate Strategy/Finance Or Operations /Consulting with my BI background backing me on these fronts.
It was then I stumbled upon Business Analytics or say Operation Research and was exploring on these as a possible career advancement options, was exploring on these fronts and was looking at other possible areas that could be of use with my BI background.

rust in peace Says
Can anybody throw some light on the job market in India for Global Macro/FX/Rates/Commodities Research roles. at BBs and Boutiques? What would typically be the path to/after them?

Ask MartianONEarth, I believe he was in Corp Fin before his current venture. Or he may point you in the right direction.

All the best
Baccardisprite
Hi baccardisprite,

I am really glad to have come across your posts on career options beyond MBAs, its been really intuitive on the various options one can specialize in. I am looking at taking the GMAT for a 2012/13 entry.

My Profile:
Qualification - B.E. Mechanical Engg
Work Ex - 7.5 years
GMAT - Not taken
Role - Currently working in BI Consultant Role with TCS.

I have been in the BI Domain for about 7 years I have had the oppurtunity to work closely with senior management and assit them in their decision making with the on the above ranging in verticals such as Trade Finance, Manufacturing & Telecomn. Wanted to get your insight as to how to evolve with this background of mine and specialize into an MBA or a masters degree.WIll and MBA in corporate strategy be suitable or a masters degree in areas such as business analytics and operations that are on offing.

You're thinking education without thinking about your career first. There are a few careers that you can get into with your technical and BI background, and depending on which stakeholders (external like clients, or internal like BU head) your work has an impact on. Think these over and post again :-).

Sorry if I'm not immediately answering your question, but I'd like you to think first.

All the best
Baccardisprite

Can anybody throw some light on the job market in India for Global Macro/FX/Rates/Commodities Research roles. at BBs and Boutiques? What would typically be the path to/after them?

Hi baccardisprite,

I am really glad to have come across your posts on career options beyond MBAs, its been really intuitive on the various options one can specialize in. I am looking at taking the GMAT for a 2012/13 entry.

My Profile:
Qualification - B.E. Mechanical Engg
Work Ex - 7.5 years
GMAT - Not taken
Role - Currently working in BI Consultant Role with TCS.

I have been in the BI Domain for about 7 years I have had the oppurtunity to work closely with senior management and assit them in their decision making with the on the above ranging in verticals such as Trade Finance, Manufacturing & Telecomn. Wanted to get your insight as to how to evolve with this background of mine and specialize into an MBA or a masters degree.WIll and MBA in corporate strategy be suitable or a masters degree in areas such as business analytics and operations that are on offing.

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

6481 people follow this discussion.