PaGaLGuY Prepathon Mock CATs

Download the FREE PaGaLGuY Prepathon app to join in the free test series that start on Sept 13th.
The app is used by over 50,000+ students

About this discussion

Last updated

Author
HKUST MBA @hkustmba2012

Tags

Information on HKUST MBA 2012 Program hosted by Current Students

Hi *PGs* Recently we have received lots of queries regarding our HKUST (The Hong Kong University of Science & Technology) MBA Program that has scaled new heights with each passing year. To answer them we current students of this program ha...
Follow this discussion to get notified of latest updates.
Page 2 of 18   

You will have received an admit email from HKUST. In that admit email there is a link to go to the HKUST admitted students portal where the FB group link is. Also the FB group will be mentioned in the email and one of the HKUST adcom will add you to that group. I did not see any additions to the group today so I am presuming that they have not added you to the group yet.

Btw - are you from Kolkata?

As for weird meat eating experiences, do not worry. HK has lots of Indian eateries due to its substantive Punjabi and Gujarati population. There are veg options.

As for accommodation, most of the folks are planning to stay in the dorms for the first 4 months and will then decide on what to do next.

Congrats on the admit. Are you on the facebook group of the 2012 admitted students portal. If you have been added, you can surf there and get a good idea about the questions you have posted here.

As for Q1 - 90% of the admits are international students. There are quite a few chinese students coming from western/european countries but fit is not an issue. There are very few local students so Cantonese is not spoken.

Send me a pm if you want to know more about the rest of the stuff. As for vegetarian food, there is an Indian student who got admitted in this batch who is living in HK and is a vegetarian. He is not having any problems till now.

Thanks,
Now how do I find the FB group? And yes, glad to know about the substantive foreign population :). Still a bit insecure about jobs but its mainly about the quality of life and education I was thinking about. Btw will want to catch hold of the veggie guy...having nightmares of having weird meat but I would love to have the whole China-HK experience a lot

Congrats on the admit. Are you on the facebook group of the 2012 admitted students portal. If you have been added, you can surf there and get a good idea about the questions you have posted here.

As for Q1 - 90% of the admits are international students. There are quite a few chinese students coming from western/european countries but fit is not an issue. There are very few local students so Cantonese is not spoken.

Send me a pm if you want to know more about the rest of the stuff. As for vegetarian food, there is an Indian student who got admitted in this batch who is living in HK and is a vegetarian. He is not having any problems till now.

Hi,
I know this is a public forum and you guys are representing the university so it has to be all formally correct. However, I recently got my admit from HKUST and I have loads of questions.
1. I have heard that most of the students there are Chinese nationals and its very hard to fit mainly due to the fact we do not speak Cantonese. Is it really that hard?
2. Finances are not really a problem though Hong Kong tends to be expensive. However, I did not get a scholarship and I think a chance of getting that is just very very hard since we are competing with the very best of Mainland students there, and so I was wondering as to what kind of costs am I looking at?
3. Should I take up university housing if I decide to come? Or do most foreigners rent their own apartment/share?
4. Is HKUST a big name in India or do I have to end up competing with the Chinese again to get a job in China, which again is very hard IMO.
5. Again the culture thing... I have been to Hong Kong before and I am vegetarian so it was rather hard for me to really be sure of the food I was eating. How did you guys fare?
Thanks in advance and just for the others who might want my profile...:
BTech IIT-G Chem E
MS Pharmacy UCLA
MSc Operations Lancaster (from job, 9 months exec.)
Job Ex 3.5 years (top 50 MNC in drug production plant as manager) in Mumbai
Looking forward to hearing back :))

Dear Chintan,

TOEFL should not be required for you. We have another Indian admit who studied in India and was not required to provide TOEFL/IE.

Thanks
Ankit

Hi Ankit (HKUSTMBA2012),
I submitted my application on 15 Marh 2012... R3's last date. by when should i expect to hear from the committee... Whether I get an interview call or I don't... Plus what are the chances of getting a call in R3?

Thanks
Urvash

Dinged after interview in Round 2

interview call can come anywhere between 1 week to 2 months after application submission deadline.

essays matter a lot - put a lot of thought into your essays. HKUST essays are tough to write due to the extremely tight word limit.

Try to get some exposure on China if Asia Pac is where you want to work after MBA. This will help in your candidacy.

Hi guys,

Can you please answer a few questions / clarifications:

1. I am planning to apply for 2013 intake. I guess the application process will start in Oct'12, I am planning to put my application in Oct'12 itself. Can you please tell me how long does it generally take to get an interview invite (in case you do get it)

2. Can you please share some pointers / hygiene factors that basically would help one understand an 'ideal' HKUST candidate. Maybe, some points relevant for Indian applicants (for example I read somewhere that generally you need to have more than 4 - 5 years of exp. and 690+ GMAT for HKUST)

3. Also, can you also point out some things that one can work upon from on till Oct'12 to enhance his chances.

Just for your reference, below is my brief profile:

Undergrad: IIT (2008 batch), CGPA: 6.5 (relative grading, still not particularly good)
FRM (both levels)
CFA Level - 1
GMAT: 700 (Q50, V34) and AWA: 4.5
Work ex 1: Analytics KPO (2 years)
Work ex 2: Management Consulting (Financial Management - Process Consulting) in a Big 4
International work ex: None
Total work ex by Aug'13: 5 years and 1 months (expected)
Extra curricular: Done some things during college, was the General Secretary of the students body. Involved in managing technical festival etc.

Thanks in advance.

Great info guys... I have a couple of questions regarding part time MBA from HKUST, appreciate your help here.

1. How different is placement after part time MBA from HKUST compared to full time? Is it good enough to consider?

2. Are part time applicants expected to have as strong profiles as full time applicants or generally even a little weaker profile will do? Any info regarding avg number of yrs of exp or gmat score etc will be helpful.

3. How tough is the competition for part time admission (not many applicants or huge number of applicants for part time as well)?

4. Any additional info/guidelines are appreciated (I have already read the website and aapplication form etc in detail).

Dear Chintan,

TOEFL should not be required for you. We have another Indian admit who studied in India and was not required to provide TOEFL/IE.

Thanks
Ankit

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

47 people follow this discussion.