Any updates from HKUST. I believe today was the deadline for interview invites.
simply calling up a school to ask about admissions status, especially when the school states that it does not entertain such calls/emails is not a good idea.
I have been in such a situation before with HKUST and with UCLA and this is simply a matter of patience and timing. Wait to hear from the school.
If you have already communicated with HKUST on your current scenario, they would have taken note of your status. At this stage, I think the only option is to wait and see if you are invited for interview by HKUST.
In the meantime, you can talk to cuhk and ceibs and ask them to defer your payment by a week or so, if you hear anything positive from hkust.
about the reputation of cuhk and ceibs, cuhk is very well known in HK - globally, not a lot, but as an asian business school, its high ranked.
ceibs is a top notch school, but its biggest drawback is the mandatory mandarin requirement. If you are looking for jobs in china, and in shanghai, then you must speak mandarin. Its gaining a lot of momentum and reputation as people focus more on china. China is the giant of the 21st century, and that is where the action will be based, atleast in our lifetime, so this is the country to be in if you want to make your career.
now your career choices appears to be in 2 opposite directions - if you want to be in commodities - take up cuhk as hk is a finance hub but if u want to go into consultancy, then ceibs is the right choice for you.
Thanks for the information in the tread. I have applied to HKUST in R3 . I have requested on my status to the adcom , it has been answered as "under- review ".
My profile is as follows :
GMAT - 660
Education - B.COM , M.COM - Merits
Work Experience - 3 years part-time in Gems and Jewelry Major
3 years full-time post B. COM in the same .
2 years full-time at Kotak as Manager.
I am in a dilemma as i have aspired for HKUST but got the admits of CEIBS and CUHK WITH scholarship . They have demanded the deposit for the same by mid - May .
Please advise me over the following Queries :
1. Should I write to HKUST about the following dilemma (the last day for interview at HKUST is 11th May ) ?
2. How is CUHK as you know the field condition there ?
3. How well is CEIBS connected to Hong Kong or even Globally for career-prospective ?
4. I am looking to set up a career in commodities especially base-metals or consultancy , so which school will give me better insight and future opportunities ?
Awaiting your advise and everyone in the thread . Thank you,
Thanks for the valuable insights in the thread. I have applied to HKUST MBA in R3 . Haven't recieved an interview call as yet . Awaiting it since the last 1 month 15 days. I got admits from CEIBS and CUHK with a scholarship .
I am in a dilemma as both has requested to pay up the deposit asap. Should i be writing to HKUST addcom team about my dilemma . My goal is HKUST but have been answered its "under review " on several request mails to addcom .
My profile : GMAT 660
B COM , M COM with Merits
Work Experience - Part time during B.Com 3 years in Gems and Jewelry Major
Full Time - 3 more years in Gems and Jewelry
2 years in a Kotak as Manager.
As studied in the thread , they take time to answer. But I am in a fix due to the pay up demands at both the universities .
1.Please advise how CUHK is at Hong Kong ?
2.Please advise about CEIBS too? as you would know the ground reality there ?
3.Please advise over should i be writing to the addcom at HKUST ?
I am looking to target learning for a carrer into commodity majors into preferably base metals or consultancy .
You will have received an admit email from HKUST. In that admit email there is a link to go to the HKUST admitted students portal where the FB group link is. Also the FB group will be mentioned in the email and one of the HKUST adcom will add you to that group. I did not see any additions to the group today so I am presuming that they have not added you to the group yet.
Btw - are you from Kolkata?
As for weird meat eating experiences, do not worry. HK has lots of Indian eateries due to its substantive Punjabi and Gujarati population. There are veg options.
As for accommodation, most of the folks are planning to stay in the dorms for the first 4 months and will then decide on what to do next.
Congrats on the admit. Are you on the facebook group of the 2012 admitted students portal. If you have been added, you can surf there and get a good idea about the questions you have posted here.
As for Q1 - 90% of the admits are international students. There are quite a few chinese students coming from western/european countries but fit is not an issue. There are very few local students so Cantonese is not spoken.
Send me a pm if you want to know more about the rest of the stuff. As for vegetarian food, there is an Indian student who got admitted in this batch who is living in HK and is a vegetarian. He is not having any problems till now.
I know this is a public forum and you guys are representing the university so it has to be all formally correct. However, I recently got my admit from HKUST and I have loads of questions.
1. I have heard that most of the students there are Chinese nationals and its very hard to fit mainly due to the fact we do not speak Cantonese. Is it really that hard?
2. Finances are not really a problem though Hong Kong tends to be expensive. However, I did not get a scholarship and I think a chance of getting that is just very very hard since we are competing with the very best of Mainland students there, and so I was wondering as to what kind of costs am I looking at?
3. Should I take up university housing if I decide to come? Or do most foreigners rent their own apartment/share?
4. Is HKUST a big name in India or do I have to end up competing with the Chinese again to get a job in China, which again is very hard IMO.
5. Again the culture thing... I have been to Hong Kong before and I am vegetarian so it was rather hard for me to really be sure of the food I was eating. How did you guys fare?
Thanks in advance and just for the others who might want my profile...:
BTech IIT-G Chem E
MS Pharmacy UCLA
MSc Operations Lancaster (from job, 9 months exec.)
Job Ex 3.5 years (top 50 MNC in drug production plant as manager) in Mumbai
Looking forward to hearing back :))