About this discussion

Last updated

Author
HKUST MBA @hkustmba2012

Tags

Information on HKUST MBA 2012 Program hosted by Current Students

Hi *PGs* Recently we have received lots of queries regarding our HKUST (The Hong Kong University of Science & Technology) MBA Program that has scaled new heights with each passing year. To answer them we current students of this program ha...
Follow this discussion to get notified of latest updates.
Page 1 of 18   
Hi,
Plz guide me on my chances of getting in HKUST. Profile is as follows:
Work ex - 6.5 years (5.5 years post MBA)
Education - Commerce Graduate, MBA, PGDM&SM;, FIII
GMAT - 660
Kindly guide.
Thanks & Regards,
Anshul
bkkkrzy Says
Any updates from HKUST. I believe today was the deadline for interview invites.

I just a mail from them. Rejected w/o interview. I expected that since they had not reverted till 11 May. Anyway I had already sent my confirmation to CEIBS... So Good luck to HKUST admits...

Any updates from HKUST. I believe today was the deadline for interview invites.

Hi...has anybody received call for an interview for R3 i.e. 11th May...i hv one convert from IIM Shillong. But I would prefer HKUST definitely

urvash,
simply calling up a school to ask about admissions status, especially when the school states that it does not entertain such calls/emails is not a good idea.

I have been in such a situation before with HKUST and with UCLA and this is simply a matter of patience and timing. Wait to hear from the school.

I guess you're right. Maybe I could request CEIBS to delay my Conformation date... Lets see..

urvash,
simply calling up a school to ask about admissions status, especially when the school states that it does not entertain such calls/emails is not a good idea.

I have been in such a situation before with HKUST and with UCLA and this is simply a matter of patience and timing. Wait to hear from the school.

Hi Priyank,
If you have already communicated with HKUST on your current scenario, they would have taken note of your status. At this stage, I think the only option is to wait and see if you are invited for interview by HKUST.

In the meantime, you can talk to cuhk and ceibs and ask them to defer your payment by a week or so, if you hear anything positive from hkust.

about the reputation of cuhk and ceibs, cuhk is very well known in HK - globally, not a lot, but as an asian business school, its high ranked.
ceibs is a top notch school, but its biggest drawback is the mandatory mandarin requirement. If you are looking for jobs in china, and in shanghai, then you must speak mandarin. Its gaining a lot of momentum and reputation as people focus more on china. China is the giant of the 21st century, and that is where the action will be based, atleast in our lifetime, so this is the country to be in if you want to make your career.

now your career choices appears to be in 2 opposite directions - if you want to be in commodities - take up cuhk as hk is a finance hub but if u want to go into consultancy, then ceibs is the right choice for you.

• 1 Like  
hey bkkkrzy,
Thanks for the information in the tread. I have applied to HKUST in R3 . I have requested on my status to the adcom , it has been answered as "under- review ".
My profile is as follows :
GMAT - 660
Education - B.COM , M.COM - Merits
Work Experience - 3 years part-time in Gems and Jewelry Major
3 years full-time post B. COM in the same .
2 years full-time at Kotak as Manager.
I am in a dilemma as i have aspired for HKUST but got the admits of CEIBS and CUHK WITH scholarship . They have demanded the deposit for the same by mid - May .
Please advise me over the following Queries :
1. Should I write to HKUST about the following dilemma (the last day for interview at HKUST is 11th May ) ?
2. How is CUHK as you know the field condition there ?
3. How well is CEIBS connected to Hong Kong or even Globally for career-prospective ?
4. I am looking to set up a career in commodities especially base-metals or consultancy , so which school will give me better insight and future opportunities ?

Awaiting your advise and everyone in the thread . Thank you,
Regards,
Priyank .

Ya man, / (HKUSTMBA2012)
I have the same dilemma. I've received admission from CEIBS but without scholarship though, but my application is still under review. And the deadline to confirm to CEIBS is May 15. Should I call up HKUST and find out?

hey bkkkrzy,
Thanks for the information in the tread. I have applied to HKUST in R3 . I have requested on my status to the adcom , it has been answered as "under- review ".
My profile is as follows :
GMAT - 660
Education - B.COM , M.COM - Merits
Work Experience - 3 years part-time in Gems and Jewelry Major
3 years full-time post B. COM in the same .
2 years full-time at Kotak as Manager.
I am in a dilemma as i have aspired for HKUST but got the admits of CEIBS and CUHK WITH scholarship . They have demanded the deposit for the same by mid - May .
Please advise me over the following Queries :
1. Should I write to HKUST about the following dilemma (the last day for interview at HKUST is 11th May ) ?
2. How is CUHK as you know the field condition there ?
3. How well is CEIBS connected to Hong Kong or even Globally for career-prospective ?
4. I am looking to set up a career in commodities especially base-metals or consultancy , so which school will give me better insight and future opportunities ?

Awaiting your advise and everyone in the thread . Thank you,
Regards,
Priyank .

Hey bkkkrzy,
Thanks for the valuable insights in the thread. I have applied to HKUST MBA in R3 . Haven't recieved an interview call as yet . Awaiting it since the last 1 month 15 days. I got admits from CEIBS and CUHK with a scholarship .
I am in a dilemma as both has requested to pay up the deposit asap. Should i be writing to HKUST addcom team about my dilemma . My goal is HKUST but have been answered its "under review " on several request mails to addcom .

My profile : GMAT 660
B COM , M COM with Merits
Work Experience - Part time during B.Com 3 years in Gems and Jewelry Major
Full Time - 3 more years in Gems and Jewelry
2 years in a Kotak as Manager.
As studied in the thread , they take time to answer. But I am in a fix due to the pay up demands at both the universities .
1.Please advise how CUHK is at Hong Kong ?
2.Please advise about CEIBS too? as you would know the ground reality there ?
3.Please advise over should i be writing to the addcom at HKUST ?
I am looking to target learning for a carrer into commodity majors into preferably base metals or consultancy .
Thanks .
Regards,
Priyank .

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

47 people follow this discussion.