About this discussion

Last updated

Author
Desi Guru @DesiGuru

Tags

Improving Sentence Correction Performance in GMAT

Trying to make it the first thread in the newly changed pagalguy structure... Please give your comments on the following. 1\. How to fundamentally improve your grammar concepts for the GMAT? 2\. Is the ETS style of thinking English dif...
Follow this discussion to get notified of latest updates.
Page 2 of 3   

Hi Catalytic .... can you mail me the SC1000 ziplet.

Commenting on this post has been disabled.

Please do not flood my PM box.. as mentioned by DesiGuru testmagic.com and scoretop.com have lot of resources for those preparing for GMAT. Not possible for me to send everyone the files. Please search thru above mentioned sites and u fill find lot of useful data

Thanx

Go Global with ISBR Global PGDM – AICTE Approved

Advantages

- AICTE Approved

- Excellent ROI with cent% placement

- Experience 3 different countries

- Ranked No. 1 New Generation B-Schools of India

- Affordable Fee

Know More

ISBR Edge

- 23 years of excellence

- Located in Bangalore

- Highest Salary offered: 28 Lakh p.a.

- Received Exemplary Placement Award 2014

Download Fee Sructure
Hi could u please pass me on that 1000SC u mentioned in ur quote please ?
Please send at ******@****.com
Vivek

Hie Vivek....

No posting of personal data like tel nos. or email ids. in the public domain. so edit it from ur post b4 the mods step in!

also.... use PM to contact catalytic for the same!

chao!
Hi could u please pass me on that 1000SC u mentioned in ur quote please ?
Please send at resumevseth@yahoo.com.
Thanks.
Vivek
1&2
What i have realised in my preperation that ETS english is more of a science than English. Questions are based on certain rules that can be identified while solving them. Initial brush up of Grammer can be done thru Wren Martin or thru many websites on the net

3. If u can get hold of Princeton or Kaplan for PRACTICE (only) . Otherwise there is a doc file of 1000sc doing rounds on the net though the answers given are not reliable (pm me if u want it)

4. Sole tip . read ur questions carefully and analyse each and every question even if u did it correct. The catch is to find why others are wrong

5. Okey dokey

Disclaimer : Author is also preparing for GMAT. Following his advise is upto u .

This is truly good effort and a meaningful + useful post baba.. keep the good work going.:thumbsup:

Instead of just having a general discussion on SC strategies, I thought it would be useful if I list down a sample SC, and my approach towards tackling it ... I'm sure if others also do the same thing, this thread will be tangibly more beneficial to guys preparing for GMAT ... And don't just list down the right answer, but why you think that answer is right, and the others are wrong ...

Ok ... Let me start off ...

Unlike the lives of Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi, and Dostoevski, subjects of other Troyat biographies, Chekhov belongs to the twentieth century, an age of fretfulness and melancholy skepticism.

(A) Unlike the lives of Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi, and Dostoevski, subjects of other Troyat biographies, Chekhov belongs

(B) Chekhov, unlike the other Troyat biographies of Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi, and Dostoevski, belongs

(C) The life of Chekhov, unlike the lives of the subjects of other Troyat biographies, Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi, and Dostoevski, belongs

(D) Chekhov and his life, unlike that of the other Troyat biographiesPushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi, and Dostoevski, belong

(E) The life of Chekhov, unlike that of other Troyat biographies of Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi, and Dostoevski, belongs

The first thing I do to an SC when I see it is eliminate the noise ... What do I mean by that? ... let's take the sample sentence above ...

- Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi, and Dostoevski can all be replaced by one word - composers ...

- Eliminate "Troyat" - it does'nt add any value ... Biographies will do where Troyat biographies was mentioned ...
- "an age of fretfulness and melancholy skepticism" ... No relevant information, and not even appearing in the answer choices ...

Now the sentence reduces to -

Unlike the lives of composers, subjects of other biographies, chekhov belongs to the twentieth century.

That's it ... That is all the information that is relevant to solving the SC ... This is the meat ... The rest of the noise I have eliminated ... This helps to get focus on the main concept being tested ...

And now to attack the problem ... Analyse each choice ...

(A) ... Unlike the lives of composers, Chekov belongs ... WRONG ... comparing lives with Chekov ... Apples and Oranges comparison ...

(B) ... Chekov, unlike the other biographies, belongs ... WRONG ... comparing Chekov with Biographies ...

(C) ... The life of Chekov, unlike the lives of composers ... Seems right ... proper comparison ... But lets check out the rest of the options ...

(D) ... Chekov and his life - belong to the 20th century ... WRONG ... It's only Chekov's life that belongs, not both of them ... Moreover, comparing Chekov and life with biographies ...

(E) ... The life of Chekhov, unlike that of other biographies ... WRONG ... Comparing Chekov's life to the life of other biographies ...

So the answer is 'C' ... In the analysis above I'm not just identifying the correct answer, but WHY it is correct and WHY the others are wrong ... Apply this same approach sincerely, and you'll see your SC problems melting away before your eyes! ...

Other PGites reading this thread ... Please send in a sample question of your own, with your strategies and approach towards the problem ...

• 3 Likes  

I have never seen so many replyes and discussions goin on a post. Amezing information dude... all, please contribute...

Insane - GMAT preperation...

Goto scoretop.com and search for Princeton Verbal workout...
Search around and u will get to the pdf... Its generally available to download thro a thread....

As PG said I think read the basic stuff and after that its practice... There is hope, because its not exactly to do with IQ. So practice can get u from 30% to 80% for sure. Higher than 90% then ur a certified ETS grammar god.
K

Download after searching from scoretop.com. Its a 10MB file cannot be mailed easily...

K

Hi can anyone post the link for the this file mentioned. sentence correction is one area which is giving me jitters. my accuracy rate is only 30%. please suggest me a course of action to correct the same.

I gave the first test on PP.

Got 680 with 48 ( percentile 90) maths and 35 in vocab (percentile 75). Weak Sections were Sentence Correction (Disastor), Reasoning, Co-ordinate Geometry.

Can anyone suggest me a strategy to improve sentence correction. I have about two months to prepare.
srikanthrn Says
hi catylytic can i have preinceton verbal eformat.ur help is appreciatedan will save lot of time for me.

Download after searching from scoretop.com. Its a 10MB file cannot be mailed easily...

K
Princeton verbal workout is available is eformat

hi catylytic can i have preinceton verbal eformat.ur help is appreciatedan will save lot of time for me.

hey nice link desiguru. do u have a similar link or a website that is useful for gre prep?

edited to delete

If you have the eformat verbal workout can u send me....

earthware@gmail.com or pm me your email id.

Kaplan 800 is supposed to be a good book for the hardest math & verbal (not as good as math) and other than the test practice, OG this is the best complement.
one of kaplan/princeton is a given.
Which GMAT-CAT tests do you have...
I am in Andheri. Where are you at? Pune?

K

Great Comments Catalytic!

I have the sc1000 file and lots of other e-stuff... Thats my current state of preparation
I am looking for the following books

Kaplan 800 and verbal workout princeton... Kaplan 800 i am gonna definitely buy somehow... I just need to know where... amazon ofcourse is the last bet...
By the way check out MBA.com There are 20 cities where u can write the GMAT for free... for a month or so. india is not in the list... too bad eh...

Also one of the best single links (non-website) for GMAT study is ...
http://home.comcast.net/~dave.kim/GMAT_Study_Strategy.htm

Anyone in mumbai with GMAT books lying around pm me...

K

Princeton verbal workout is available is eformat
sadly Kaplan 800 is not available in eformat . Have seen it on firstandsecond.com but ppl have not given gr8 reviews about it :sleep: . Where in mumbai u stay ??..

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

20 people follow this discussion.