About this discussion

Last updated

Author
Thilak Kumar @HydRocker

Tags

GRAMMAR - A topic a day ( CAT 2012 )

Let's just do atleast one topic a day from Grammar. I say VA gives a due weightage to sentence Correction questions. So let's put a hand together on it....!!!!! ::
Follow this discussion to get notified of latest updates.
Page 2 of 15   
@saurav5517 said: puys...wats the basic difference between the english of CAT and GMAT ??
is it true CAT uses more of day to day english whereas GMAT more of business type of english..
For an example is the following sentence grammatically correct?
A waiter was serving drinks in a blue dress..
As regards me i think serving is the modifier here and as no comma is here it modifies the preceeding noun waiter and thereby the sentence is correct ..
A waiter was serving drinks in a blue dress.
in gmat, you must keep the modifier close to what it modifies.. so "in a blue dress" should be close to "a waiter".
A waiter in a blue dress was serving drinks.
Infact, you must be always careful with prepositional phrase - as it can act both as an adverb or an adjective. At times, it can create much ambiguity. Consider this :
I read the book in our living room -- what is "in our living room" an adjective for the book or an adverb for the action "read".
moreover, "serving" is not a modifier here. its a verb. you are correct that ing verb ( aka participle) can act both as an adjective or a part of a main verb ( even adverb with comma). but this is solely decided by the context...
hope this helps !!
  • 1 Like  
find incorrect usage:
PHONE:

People spend several hours on the phone talking to their dear ones miles away.

It is now possible for people to do most of their business on the phone.

'Phone them up and ask when they are coming', said Julia.

Ramesh phoned in to say that he was sick and couldn't come to office.

Phone them up????? ye kaise sahi he....phone them up hota hai kya kuch?

• C. 14 Oct.
  • simple hahah. 14 Oct.
IMT Open Admissions for 2015

Kellogg India, L'Oreal India, Thomas Cook, Citibank etc. among the top recruiters.

Informed Decisions today leads to Promised Future tomorrow.

Take Your Call Now

Know More About Us!

Download Now
@sonamaries7 said:
were is ok?...can u plz share the complete rule?..
This is a case of hypothetical subjunctive : this type of construction is generally to indicate unlikely or unreal condition. marker word : if...then, as...if, as though...
consider this :
to overcome my fear of pain, i will think about disease as if it were harmless.
if i were rich, i would have....
hope this helps !!
  • 1 Like  
@spectramind07 said:
There are multiple errors in some of them!!!!
that is what i am confused about...the questions are from a book and i'm not satisfied with the OA too.

post your take..
This time its "WITHOUT THE ROPE". Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/gauravbhawnaniphotography
@guravus said: Can someone please help me with the errors in the following statements and the reasons.
1. A knowledge/ of Sanskrit/ may be helpful/ to chant slokas.
2. The new tapes/ highlight C TV's/ Barkha Verma's clout/ with the Congress party.
3.The new teacher/ told the principal that/ the behavior of the class/ were highly objectionable.
4. The members of the committee/ felt that they needed/ another information before/ they could arrive at a decision.
5. However much you may/ try to dress it with/ perks and incentives/ office work is not glamorous.
6. While in Madrid/ I took the subway/ although I have been told/ that it was dangerous.
7.Globalization today has passed/ the point of no return/ we can't pause it/ we can't reverse it.
Kindly post if you find multiple ways to correct it...will post the OA in a while
There are multiple errors in some of them!!!!
@saurav5517 said: puys...wats the basic difference between the english of CAT and GMAT ??
is it true CAT uses more of day to day english whereas GMAT more of business type of english..
As regards me i think serving is the modifier here and as no comma is here it modifies the preceeding noun waiter and thereby the sentence is correct ..
GMAT verbal is a different ball game.CAT VA is very easy compared to that of GMAT.GMAT RCs are easier.But the CR and SC of GMAT is a monster.You can do well in CAT if you are a good reader and have covered some other aspects.

Can someone please help me with the errors in the following statements and the reasons.

1. A knowledge/ of Sanskrit/ may be helpful/ to chant slokas.
2. The new tapes/ highlight C TV's/ Barkha Verma's clout/ with the Congress party.
3.The new teacher/ told the principal that/ the behavior of the class/ were highly objectionable.
4. The members of the committee/ felt that they needed/ another information before/ they could arrive at a decision.
5. However much you may/ try to dress it with/ perks and incentives/ office work is not glamorous.
6. While in Madrid/ I took the subway/ although I have been told/ that it was dangerous.
7.Globalization today has passed/ the point of no return/ we can't pause it/ we can't reverse it.

Kindly post if you find multiple ways to correct it...will post the OA in a while

This time its "WITHOUT THE ROPE". Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/gauravbhawnaniphotography
purwar_ankit
she is used in subjective case whereas her is use in objective case
Believe in yourself! Have faith in your abilities! Without a humble but reasonable confidence in your own powers you cannot be successful or happy.

can someone explain use of 'she/her'

ADVERBS: How adverbs are formed

Rules

1. In most cases, an adverb is formed by adding '-ly' to an adjective:
Adjective Adverb

cheap cheaply
quick quickly
slow slowly

Examples:

* Time goes quickly.
* He walked slowly to the door.
* She certainly had an interesting life.
* He carefully picked up the sleeping child.

Rules

If the adjective ends in '-y', replace the 'y' with 'i' and add '-ly':
Adjective Adverb

easy easily
angry angrily
happy happily
lucky luckily

If the adjective ends in -'able', '-ible', or '-le', replace the '-e' with '-y':
Adjective Adverb

probable probably
terrible terribly
gentle gently

If the adjective ends in '-ic', add '-ally':
Adjective Adverb

basic basically
economic economically
tragic tragically

Note: Exception: public - publicly

2. Some adverbs have the same form as the adjective:
Adjective and Adverb

early late
fast near
hard straight
high wrong

Compare:

* It is a fast car.
* He drives very fast.
* This is a hard exercise.
* He works hard.
* We saw many high buildings.
* The bird flew high in the sky.

3. 'Well' and 'good'

'Well' is the adverb that corresponds to the adjective 'good'.

Examples:

* He is a good student.
* He studies well.
* She is a good pianist.
* She plays the piano well.
* They are good swimmers.
* They swim well.

• 2 Likes  
ADVERBS - FUNCTION

Adverbs modify, or tell us more about other words, usually verbs:

Examples

* The bus moved slowly.
* The bears ate greedily.

Sometimes they tell us more about adjectives:

Examples

* You look absolutely fabulous!

They can also modify other adverbs:

Examples

* She played the violin extremely well.
* You're speaking too quietly.

• 1 Like  

puys...wats the basic difference between the english of CAT and GMAT ??

‘It isn’t that they can’t see the solution. It is that they can’t see the problem.’
@anudsweet said: please tell if both sentences are correct in terms of usage: The condition of a country's athletes/ has worsened.
It is " The condition of the country's athletes/has worsened"

Or you can say specifically "the condition of a country's athletes depends on the facilities etc,."

[Correct me if Iam wrong.....]
  • 1 Like  
The more you sweat in training, the less you bleed in battle.

please tell if both sentences are correct in terms of usage:
The condition of a country's athletes/ has worsened.

Calls 2013: IFMR, BIM-Trichy, Tiss, DSM, LIBA, Kj Somaiya Converts: Xiss (HR), FMS BHU
@avik.ch said:
i am not sure what you are asking...
if your doubt is whether - "If I Were....- plural "were" is correct, then its perfectly fine to signify hypothetical scenario.
Hope this helps !!
were is ok?...can u plz share the complete rule?..
WhY sO sErIoUss?! :D

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

420 people follow this discussion.
Events in CAT