About this discussion

Last updated

Author
Thilak Kumar @HydRocker

Tags

GRAMMAR - A topic a day ( CAT 2012 )

Let's just do atleast one topic a day from Grammar. I say VA gives a due weightage to sentence Correction questions. So let's put a hand together on it....!!!!! ::
Follow this discussion to get notified of latest updates.
Page 2 of 22   
@shubhamtyl said:
identfy the incorrect sentences.
a. The road is under repair.
b. Vehicles are diverted into other roads. c. Two-third of the work is completed. d. The road will open for traffic next week.

a, b and d

b, c and d

a and d

a and c

Statement C is definitely wrong. It should be two-thirds of the work...as we are referring to more than 1 part of "a third".
So, Option A and C are eliminated.
Also, I feel Statement D should be 'open to traffic next week' in place of 'for'.
Hence , Answer should be Option B.
B will have a error in 'into'. It should be diverted onto other roads.
No fool like an old fool. http://www.pagalguy.com/forums/cat-and-related-bschools/pagalguy-dream-team-2012-t-83955/p-3594200/r-4344097

Nopes !! Please answer with explainations

b. Vehicles are

diverted into other roads.
c. Two-third of the work is completed.
d. The road will open for traffic next week.

answer is option a : a, b, d

identfy the incorrect sentences.

b. Vehicles are diverted into other roads.
c. Two-third of the work is completed.
d. The road will open for traffic next week.

a, b and d

b, c and d

a and d

a and c

@avik.ch said:
This is a case of hypothetical subjunctive : this type of construction is generally to indicate unlikely or unreal condition. marker word : if...then, as...if, as though...
consider this :
to overcome my fear of pain, i will think about disease as if it were harmless.
if i were rich, i would have....
hope this helps !!
ya already read it :P
WhY sO sErIoUss?! :D
@saurav5517 said: puys...wats the basic difference between the english of CAT and GMAT ??
is it true CAT uses more of day to day english whereas GMAT more of business type of english..
For an example is the following sentence grammatically correct?
A waiter was serving drinks in a blue dress..
As regards me i think serving is the modifier here and as no comma is here it modifies the preceeding noun waiter and thereby the sentence is correct ..
A waiter was serving drinks in a blue dress.
in gmat, you must keep the modifier close to what it modifies.. so "in a blue dress" should be close to "a waiter".
A waiter in a blue dress was serving drinks.
Infact, you must be always careful with prepositional phrase - as it can act both as an adverb or an adjective. At times, it can create much ambiguity. Consider this :
I read the book in our living room -- what is "in our living room" an adjective for the book or an adverb for the action "read".
moreover, "serving" is not a modifier here. its a verb. you are correct that ing verb ( aka participle) can act both as an adjective or a part of a main verb ( even adverb with comma). but this is solely decided by the context...
hope this helps !!
  • 1 Like  
find incorrect usage:
PHONE:

People spend several hours on the phone talking to their dear ones miles away.

It is now possible for people to do most of their business on the phone.

'Phone them up and ask when they are coming', said Julia.

Ramesh phoned in to say that he was sick and couldn't come to office.

Phone them up????? ye kaise sahi he....phone them up hota hai kya kuch?

• C. 14 Oct '14.
  • simple hahah. 14 Oct '14.
@sonamaries7 said:
were is ok?...can u plz share the complete rule?..
This is a case of hypothetical subjunctive : this type of construction is generally to indicate unlikely or unreal condition. marker word : if...then, as...if, as though...
consider this :
to overcome my fear of pain, i will think about disease as if it were harmless.
if i were rich, i would have....
hope this helps !!
  • 1 Like  
@spectramind07 said:
There are multiple errors in some of them!!!!
that is what i am confused about...the questions are from a book and i'm not satisfied with the OA too.

post your take..
This time its "WITHOUT THE ROPE". Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/gauravbhawnaniphotography
@guravus said: Can someone please help me with the errors in the following statements and the reasons.
1. A knowledge/ of Sanskrit/ may be helpful/ to chant slokas.
2. The new tapes/ highlight C TV's/ Barkha Verma's clout/ with the Congress party.
3.The new teacher/ told the principal that/ the behavior of the class/ were highly objectionable.
4. The members of the committee/ felt that they needed/ another information before/ they could arrive at a decision.
5. However much you may/ try to dress it with/ perks and incentives/ office work is not glamorous.
6. While in Madrid/ I took the subway/ although I have been told/ that it was dangerous.
7.Globalization today has passed/ the point of no return/ we can't pause it/ we can't reverse it.
Kindly post if you find multiple ways to correct it...will post the OA in a while
There are multiple errors in some of them!!!!

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

428 people follow this discussion.