SHOW

Goizueta Business School Fall 2012 Applicants

• Created by @GBS2013
Hi, I am a first year student (class of 2013) at Goizueta Business School, Emory University. As a *Goizueta Ambassador*, I will be happy to answer any questions you have regarding the application process, academics, life at Goizueta etc. for ...
This is for all those who got through and went to Emory.... Can you shed some light on how difficult is it to get placement after a one year program ?

Thanks !!
Hey Guys, I am an admit to one year program at GBS. Any other admits hoping to travel to Atlanta mid-April. We can connect. Also, looking for room-mate(s). I am planning to reach Atlanta by mid-April...I am currently in Mumbai, India
School of Inspired Leadership - Admissions Open!

SOIL has been co-created by a consortium of 32 leading companies. Admissions Open for the 7th Batch!

500 + Alumni working in top positions across industry.

Average Package: 9.0 Lacs, Highest Package: 18.0 Lacs

Apply Now!

Know more about 1 year leadership program at SOIL.

Download Now
@A_J_Sahae oops .!!skipped ur last line . shall post in the other link
@AB_88 Hey dude, yes, I am going for Kelley. I applied to four, got dinged by 2 and out of the other 2 Kelley is the best :)
@maidenfreak thanks maiden freak for that !!congrats on the admit .Are you taking it up ? I ll surely take what you said sportively . Infact I totally agree when you ask us to be increasingly practical about life/opportunities post MBA. And I am considering Kelley after this, so your inputs will be valuable.
@A_J_Sahae Thanks AJ for that info. I have been writing essays for Goizueta. As a tech guy how all do you think I can contribute to GTA(other than trek, seminars, guest lectures.) I find they do mention quite a few activities but cant really read about them in detail anywhere. In my essays I have mentioned about how I can contribute to Net Impact club and GTA . Do you think I should stretch it to mention something more specific that i could be involved in and something that Goizueta requires most from students? And as for the point about opportunities in Texas and Atlanta, after making the research and talking to a few, I think i understand what you mean more clearly.
@A_J_Sahae said:
@maidenfreak , I'd appreciate it if you didn't make sweeping statements like "they recruit only consulting roles" even with the "imo" modifier. That one line can mislead more than giving no information at all.We have had Indian IT candidates switching to investment banking, corporate strategy, marketing analytics, some rotational programs (including leadership rotational programs) and various other roles in the past. Now, I personally don't know a lot of Indians in product management roles in tech companies, but that doesn't mean there aren't any tech related roles to be found. Our technology association works hard to help you find the job you're looking for.Product manager roles are indeed tough roles to get, but one of the second years [a Chinese student] just recently got full time offers from both Google and Amazon which are some of the harder ones to crack. And there might be more offers that we are yet to hear about.Overall, Ashwin, Bay area is your best bet. But to get there, you'll need to do a lot of networking. And that is regardless of whether you're in Emory or UT. There is definitely a growing tech entrepreneurship trend in Atlanta, but I'm not sure of how that translates to job opportunities if you're an international student.And finally, please continue in the following thread:www.pagalguy.com/forums/gmat-a...This here is last year's thread.
Dude, its not a sweeping statement. Thats why I said, take it with a grain of salt, cuz I cant be sure. Its just what I have deduced from my understanding of b schools. I mean, thats been my experience. I have spoken to a couple of other folks who applied to emory this year, and they had product management roles as their goals in their essays. They had even a higher GMAT than me, and yet they were rejected as well.

Frankly speaking, I dont believe when the adcoms say "We look at your application in its entirety". I dont think so. The most important aspects of your app are the GMAT score and employability. Employability depends on your past and how logical your future goals are. Now Emory being a predominantly consulting school (because they are located in such a place), it wouldnt be surprising if they wanted students to go more into consulting, because that way they can keep their average salary figures up, employment figures up and therefore improve their brand value. You have to look at it as a business, not as a school.

Of course you can always switch majors once you get to Emory, and my goal i snot to deter people from applying to the school, cuz its great. But, one has to keep in mind that whatever they write in their essays may not be what they end up doing at the end of 2 years of mba. So I believe in giving practical and real info to people, and not to get them over excited about applying anywhere. I say the same even in he Kelley thread, a school to which I have been admitted. So its not like I am biased :D

@maidenfreak said:
@AB_88 Frankly from my experience with Goizuetta (I am pursuing prod management too and got dinged from Emory), if its an indian candidate with IT background, they recruit only consulting roles imo. I cant be sure, but its my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt. As for tech, there might be a few, but the west coast would be the best. But then gain, Goizeuta career services is awesome. So you will get placed (product mangement might be a stretch anywhere in teh US). BTW check out kelley too
@maidenfreak , I'd appreciate it if you didn't make sweeping statements like "they recruit only consulting roles" even with the "imo" modifier. That one line can mislead more than giving no information at all.

We have had Indian IT candidates switching to investment banking, corporate strategy, marketing analytics, some rotational programs (including leadership rotational programs) and various other roles in the past. Now, I personally don't know a lot of Indians in product management roles in tech companies, but that doesn't mean there aren't any tech related roles to be found. Our technology association works hard to help you find the job you're looking for.

Product manager roles are indeed tough roles to get, but one of the second years [a Chinese student] just recently got full time offers from both Google and Amazon which are some of the harder ones to crack. And there might be more offers that we are yet to hear about.

Overall, Ashwin, Bay area is your best bet. But to get there, you'll need to do a lot of networking. And that is regardless of whether you're in Emory or UT. There is definitely a growing tech entrepreneurship trend in Atlanta, but I'm not sure of how that translates to job opportunities if you're an international student.

And finally, please continue in the following thread:
http://www.pagalguy.com/forums/gmat-accepting-bschools/goizueta-business-school-fa-t-85918

This here is last year's thread.
If there's one thing B-school has taught me, it's how to get into a B-school.
@AB_88 Frankly from my experience with Goizuetta (I am pursuing prod management too and got dinged from Emory), if its an indian candidate with IT background, they recruit only consulting roles imo. I cant be sure, but its my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt. As for tech, there might be a few, but the west coast would be the best. But then gain, Goizeuta career services is awesome. So you will get placed (product mangement might be a stretch anywhere in teh US). BTW check out kelley too
@A_J_Sahae HI AJ . This is Ashwin from India . Have a 3+yrs work ex in a R&D; center of a electronics giant . Want to pursue product mangement post MBA . am in the process of writing essays for Emory. I hear that Atlanta region is seeing a real tech boom in the last decade. I want to know of realistic employment opportunities in product management with tech companies (at Georgia since I see majority are placed there)and chances of being placed at Bay ARea(I did see tech trek is very important to this effect.But what chances do Goizueta students stand at such placements?). With my interests in tech sector shoull I stick to EMory or consider a school like Mccombs(UT-Austin)?
I was a R1 applicant this year for Goizueta one year program. I have got an admit and accepted the same for the program starting 2013... I would be pleased to help with any questions regarding applications/interview.. I am from Mumbai .. anyone from this region who has got an admit?

I attended the World MBA Tour in Bangalore and visited Emory Goizueta..I had the opportunity to talk to an alum present at the fair..I've shared my experiences here..
http://amitkpandeyece.blogspot.in/2012/12/qs-world-mba-tour-bangalore.html
Follow my MBA Applications Journey at: amitkpandeyece.blogspot.in
Yes Hari, it's pretty normal. You should check your status on OPUS.
And please post in this year's thread going forward.
http://www.pagalguy.com/forums/gmat-accepting-bschools/goizueta-business-school-fa-t-85918

If there's one thing B-school has taught me, it's how to get into a B-school.
My second recommender has also submitted the form.
I still did not get the confirmation email for submitting my application. Is this normal? Or should I contact the adcom?

Please help!!
Hi Guys,
I submitted my application just in time for R2.
My profile:
GMAT - 700
Exp - 6 years IT (at the time of joining)

I have one question. I did not get the confirmation email after submitting the application. Is it normal or is it because one of my recommenders did not submit yet?

-Hari

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

60 people follow this discussion.