About this discussion

Last updated

Author
Sachin . @Govi

Tags

GMAT Sentence Correction Discussions

The GMAT and Related Discussions section is very fragmented in terms of the information available at one's disposal. There are one of reply threads and several other redundant threads that have masked the more important ones. This is an atte...
Follow this discussion to get notified of latest updates.
Page 6 of 1086   

The fact of some fraternal twins resembling each other greatly and others looking quite dissimilar highlights an interesting and often overlooked feature of fraternal-twin pairs, namely they vary considerably on a spectrum of genetic relatedness.

65 people answered this question.
4 Comments
GMAT : 760 (49/44) Class of Tepper 2017 
You can view the comments after answering or skipping this question.

Prospecting for gold during the California gold rush was a relatively easy task, because of erosion, prehistoric glacier movement, and ancient, gold-bearing riverbeds thrust to the surface by volcanic activity put gold literally within reach for anybody with a pan or shovel.

49 people answered this question.
5 Comments
GMAT : 760 (49/44) Class of Tepper 2017 

Which of the following is/are correct ?

1. Niagara is one of the rivers of North America which flow towards west. 

2. Niagara is one of the rivers of North America which flows towards west.

3. Niagara is the one of the rivers of North America which flow towards west.

4. Niagara is the one of the rivers of North America which flows towards west.

5. Niagara is one of the rivers of North America that flow towards west.

6. Niagara is one of the rivers of North America that flows towards west.

Annotation: I am trying to get my concepts correct. Pls help ..

• 27 Comments
  • @nityaa@nityaa is the ambiguity here , "which" is used i.... 03 Jun.
  • Hi @REON04 , I feel option 5 is correct and it does not u.... 03 Jun.
Careful what you wish for !! 
REON04
CHANDAN DEBNATH @REON04 7

@nityaa@nityaa  is the ambiguity here , "which" is used in place of Niagra or rivers ...????

nityaa
Nitya Kash @nityaa 25

Hi @REON04 , I feel option 5 is correct and it does not use "which". So, I am not very clear which option you are referring to when you refer to "which".

Polio, although it is eradicated in the United States, it continues elsewhere and is able to be brought into the country by visitors.

64 people answered this question.
3 Comments
undertheskygymworld.blogspot.in/ The secret of Life ,though,is to fall seven times and to get up eight times. 

Hi All,

I am willing to prepare for gmat, not sure which one is good coaching institute in gurgaon (provided that i am not good at mathematics). Please advise

Pls suggest where can I look for sentence correction questions on net ?  Any standard or particular site you are supposed to look at ?

Pls help ..

• GMATPrep collection and official questions on GMATClub.. 24 May.
  • Thank you !. 25 May.
Careful what you wish for !! 
EducationAisle
EducationAisle.com @EducationAisle 563

GMATPrep collection and official questions on GMATClub.

Which of these two sentence/s is/are correct !!

1.He wrote ten letters, DOUBLE THE NUMBER THAT Sara wrote. 2.He wrote ten letters, Twice as many as Sara wrote.

• 7 Comments
  • how is there a parallelism error?. 25 May.
  • #. 25 May.

In 1975, Sippy produced a film that became the biggest blockbuster that Indian Cinema had ever seen.

In 1975, Sippy produced a film that WOULD become the biggest blockbuster that Indian Cinema had ever seen.                                         In this the second sentence is correct .Could someone please tell me how .Thanks in advance

• 8 Comments
  • Sumit , that's what even am trying to figure out :smiley:. 25 May.
  • the first sentence generally suggests that the movie was .... 25 May.
apoo2293
Apoorva Kasoju @apoo2293 6

Sumit , that's what even am trying to figure out

sachinmanda95
@sachinmanda95 1

the first sentence generally suggests that the movie was the biggest success compared to all the other movies that were launched before it, that is before 1975; the second sentence suggests that the success of the movie prevails even now.

In 1850 Lucretia Mott published her Discourse on Women, arguing in a treatise forwomen to have equal political and legal rights and for changes in the married women's
property laws.

A. arguing in a treatise for women to have equal political and legal rights
B. arguing in a treatise for equal political and legal rights for women
C. a treatise that advocates women's equal political and legal rights
D. a treatise advocating women's equal political and legal rights
E. a treatise that argued for equal political and legal rights for women -

QA is E ..y a and b is wrong.

• A---option A suggests that Mott published her discourse w.... 23 May.
  • and parallelism as well,construction after argue will bec.... 23 May.
lochan_cancer
Rudra Lochan @lochan_cancer 444

A---option A suggests that Mott published her discourse while arguing in a treatise..so by meaning analysis it 's clear Modifier(verb ing+Noun phrase) is distorting the meaning...i am not sure but may be argue for is better idiomatic use.. B-Same error,C-I believe possessive use is dubious here--women's equal political and legal rights Vs equal political and legal right for women and then origin use of "argue" should be preferred over "advocate"..i am not sure but it might be changing the meaning..

lochan_cancer
Rudra Lochan @lochan_cancer 444

and parallelism as well,construction after argue will become.. for...and for...... 

Thomas Eakins’ powerful style and his choices of subject—the advances in modern surgery, the discipline of sport, the strains of individuals in tension with society or even with themselves—was as disturbing to his own time as it is compelling for ours.  

61 people answered this question.
undertheskygymworld.blogspot.in/ The secret of Life ,though,is to fall seven times and to get up eight times. 

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

21728 people follow this discussion.