About this discussion

Last updated

Author
Sachin . @Govi

Tags

GMAT Sentence Correction Discussions

The GMAT and Related Discussions section is very fragmented in terms of the information available at one's disposal. There are one of reply threads and several other redundant threads that have masked the more important ones. This is an atte...
Follow this discussion to get notified of latest updates.
Page 51 of 711   

We can't have 2 past perfect verbs in the same sentence.

1. Though the movie ended, we remained in our seats.
2. The movie had ended, but we remained in our seats.

The first statement is in simple past and second in past perfect. Though the meaning remains the same still is there any error or differnce between the two?

If so why?

second sentence looks a little problematic to me. i would prefer use - "the movie had ended, but we had remained in our seats" or "the movie ended, but we remained in our seats". i am not subject expert here however.
  • 1 Like  
ISBCo2014 spreadsheet - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AkGkc0yWHIvAdE9DZ2UwbDB4TlIxZkpnZnZITUpEemc
IMT Open Admissions for 2015

Kellogg India, L'Oreal India, Thomas Cook, Citibank etc. among the top recruiters.

Informed Decisions today leads to Promised Future tomorrow.

Take Your Call Now

Know More About Us!

Download Now

1. Though the movie ended, we remained in our seats.
2. The movie had ended, but we remained in our seats.

The first statement is in simple past and second in past perfect. Though the meaning remains the same still is there any error or differnce between the two?

If so why?

Hi Puys,
I might be going a bit off topic asking a question about the preparation material but I was not able to find a relevant thread to post it in.
I wanted to ask is the MGMAT Sentence Correction Strategy Guide or for that matter any of the 5 MGMAT Strategy Guides which just came out late April 2012 that is the 5th edition. Are they available in India ? I intended to buy the 5th edition of the SC guide but was not able to find it anywhere.
Please let me know about the same.
Mods, please move this post to a separate relevant thread if required.
Thanks.

ladhanikhil Says
How the word 'cost' can be used. To be specific when the word 'cost' is singular and when it is plural?

not sure the source of confusion here. cost can be used as a verb, it will follow usual subject-verb agreement rule (singular verb - costs - for singular subject, plural verb - cost - for plural subject). past and past participle of cost verb is "cost" itself (not costed). (Production of "Titanic" had cost fortunes to movie producers", I bought car yesterday, it cost me less than I expected)

word cost can also be used as noun. (What is the cost of this shirt? Production cost of Apple IPhone is much lower than its selling price) noun cost can derive an adjective costly - real estate transaction is a costly affair. Word cost generally indicates expense incurred in acquiring item.
ISBCo2014 spreadsheet - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AkGkc0yWHIvAdE9DZ2UwbDB4TlIxZkpnZnZITUpEemc

How the word 'cost' can be used. To be specific when the word 'cost' is singular and when it is plural?

ladhanikhil Says
Thanks for your response. Could you please explain mein in which cases 'of + Apostrophes' options is correct in SC? And also the usage of cost(when it can be used as singular and when as plural).

of + aphostrophe s should beavoided.use either one of them

what do u mean usage of cost?

Thanks for your response. Could you please explain mein in which cases 'of + Apostrophes' options is correct in SC? And also the usage of cost(when it can be used as singular and when as plural).

Out of America's fascination with all things antique have grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that are bringing back the chaise lounge, the overstuffed sofa, and the claw-footed bathtub.
A. things antique have grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that are bringing
B. things antique has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that is bringing
C. things that are antiques has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that bring
D. antique things have grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that are bringing
E. antique things has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that bring
What is the answer to above question and why?What is the rule for Of + Apostrophe?

Subject verb agreement
1. have grown refers to Americas fascination which is singular so should he has
grown
2. that are bringing can either refer to market or styles. But, market sounds more logical. Hence, the subject is singular so that is bringing
A. have grown and that are bringing -- Subject-Verb error
B. has grown and that is bringing -- Correct
C. bring referes to market -- Subject-Verb error
D. have grown and that are bringing -- Subject-Verb error
E. bring referes to market -- Subject-Verb error

IMO: B

As a result of the ground-breaking work of Barbara McClintock, many scientists now believe that all of the information encoded in 50.000 to 100.000 of the different genes found in a human cell are contained in merely three percent of the cell's DNA.
A. 50,000 to 100,000 of the different genes found in a human cell are contained in merely
B. 50,000 to 100,000 of the human cell's different genes are contained in a mere
C. the 50,000 to 100,000 different genes found in human cells are contained in merely
D. 50,000 to 100,000 of human cells' different genes is contained in merely
E. the 50,000 to 100,000 different genes found in a human cell is contained in a mere

Subject verb agreement
are contained refers to information which is singulat so should be is contained
Adjective/Adverb modifier
Merely modifies three percent which is a noun. So, there should be an adjective not an adverb.
A, B, C out are contained. D out coz an adverb modifies a noun

IMO: E

Three out of every four automobile owners in the United States also own a bicycle.
A. Three out of every four automobile owners in the United States also own a bicycle.
B. Out of every four, three automobile owners in the United States also owns a bicycle.
C. Bicycles are owned by three out of every four owners of automobiles in the United States.
D. In the United States, three out of every four automobile owners owns bicycles.
E. Out of every four owners of automobiles in the United States, bicycles are also owned by three.

Please provide the answer to above questions with explanations.
Thanks

Subject-verb agreement
Subject of clause three owners, plural so requires plural verb own
B, D out subject-verb error owns
C, E owners of automobiles awkward construction, owned by awkward passive and in the United States incorrectly modifies automobiles when it should be modifying automobile owners

IMO: A
Out of America's fascination with all things antique have grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that are bringing back the chaise lounge, the overstuffed sofa, and the claw-footed bathtub.
A. things antique have grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that are bringing
B. things antique has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that is bringing
C. things that are antiques has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that bring
D. antique things have grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that are bringing
E. antique things has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that bring
What is the answer to above question and why?What is the rule for Of + Apostrophe?

As a result of the ground-breaking work of Barbara McClintock, many scientists now believe that all of the information encoded in 50.000 to 100.000 of the different genes found in a human cell are contained in merely three percent of the cell's DNA.
A. 50,000 to 100,000 of the different genes found in a human cell are contained in merely
B. 50,000 to 100,000 of the human cell's different genes are contained in a mere
C. the 50,000 to 100,000 different genes found in human cells are contained in merely
D. 50,000 to 100,000 of human cells' different genes is contained in merely
E. the 50,000 to 100,000 different genes found in a human cell is contained in a mere

Three out of every four automobile owners in the United States also own a bicycle.
A. Three out of every four automobile owners in the United States also own a bicycle.
B. Out of every four, three automobile owners in the United States also owns a bicycle.
C. Bicycles are owned by three out of every four owners of automobiles in the United States.
D. In the United States, three out of every four automobile owners owns bicycles.
E. Out of every four owners of automobiles in the United States, bicycles are also owned by three.

Please provide the answer to above questions with explanations.
Thanks
Hi everyone,

Came across this question on OG10. I chose option D, but OG says the correct answer is option A. They have hardly given any explanation to this particular question. Let me know your thoughts pls.

In three centuries--from 1050 to 1350--several million tons of stone were quarried in France for the building
of eighty cathedrals, five hundred large churches, and some
tens of thousands of parish churches.
(A) for the building of eighty cathedrals, five hundred large churches, and some
(B) in order that they might build eighty cathedrals, five hundred large churches, and some
(C) so as they might build eighty cathedrals, five hundred large churches, and some
(D) so that there could be built eighty cathedrals, five hundred large churches, and
(E) such that they could build eighty cathedrals, five hundred large churches, and

I think A is correct, as abhi bhai said, could means there would be a doubt (while it was known such quantities of stone were quarried). Moreover, in option D, the sentence ends in and and not in and some, which in a way is wrong because tens of thousands is a figurative term so we have to specify some tens of thousands to make it sound that. If we say tens of thousands, then it rounds a bit rigit.

This is my take though.
The voice of none is stronger than the voice of some..

Apart from D being awkward, if you notice "some" is missing at the end of the underlined portion (unless it is a typo). So, in that sense, it changes the meaning of the original sentence.

-------------------------------------------
Thanks,
Ashish
GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle
GMAT - 99th Percentile, MBA - ISB

Great observation. I did not notice that "some" there.
When we say there could be , it means a possibility that something will be done but nothing is for sure, whereas the event mentioned is a certain event that occurred in past

Well, following appears in OG:

Originally developed for detecting air pollutants, a technique called proton-induced X-ray emission, which can quickly analyze the chemical elements in almost any substance without destroying it, is finding uses in medicine, archaeology, and criminology.

"can" quickly analyze clearly does not mean that there is no certainty about whether the technique will be able to analyze.

Apart from D being awkward, if you notice "some" is missing at the end of the underlined portion (unless it is a typo). So, in that sense, it changes the meaning of the original sentence.

-------------------------------------------
Thanks,
Ashish
GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle
GMAT - 99th Percentile, MBA - ISB
  • 1 Like  
GMAT Faculty @ http://www.EducationAisle.com ; GMAT - 99th Percentile, MBA - ISB

^^ Also, D sounds wordy and there is nothing wrong in A.

Hi everyone,

Came across this question on OG10. I chose option D, but OG says the correct answer is option A. They have hardly given any explanation to this particular question. Let me know your thoughts pls.

In three centuries--from 1050 to 1350--several million tons of stone were quarried in France for the building
of eighty cathedrals, five hundred large churches, and some
tens of thousands of parish churches.
(A) for the building of eighty cathedrals, five hundred large churches, and some
(B) in order that they might build eighty cathedrals, five hundred large churches, and some
(C) so as they might build eighty cathedrals, five hundred large churches, and some
(D) so that there could be built eighty cathedrals, five hundred large churches, and
(E) such that they could build eighty cathedrals, five hundred large churches, and

When we say there could be , it means a possibility that something will be done but nothing is for sure , whereas the event mentioned is a certain event that occurred in past

Hope i am right
Co-Founder, CareerAnna.com 

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

2434 people follow this discussion.