About this discussion

Last updated

Author
Sachin . @Govi

Tags

GMAT Sentence Correction Discussions

The GMAT and Related Discussions section is very fragmented in terms of the information available at one's disposal. There are one of reply threads and several other redundant threads that have masked the more important ones. This is an atte...
Follow this discussion to get notified of latest updates.
Page 51 of 1064   
59. The Olympic Games helped to keep peace among the
pugnacious states of the Greek world in that a sacred
truce was proclaimed during the festival €™s month.
(A) world in that a sacred truce was proclaimed
during the festival €™s month
(B) world, proclaiming a sacred truce during the
festival €™s month
(C) world when they proclaimed a sacred truce for
the festival month
(D) world, for a sacred truce was proclaimed during
the month of the festival
(E) world by proclamation of a sacred truce that
was for the month of the festival

9. Acid rain and snow result from the chemical reactions between industrial emissions of sulfur dioxide and nitrogen oxides with atmospheric water vapor to produce highly corrosive sulfuric and nitric acids.
(A) with atmospheric water vapor to produce highly corrosive sulfuric and nitric acids
(B) with atmospheric water vapor producing highly corrosive sulfuric and nitric acids
(C) and atmospheric water vapor which has produced highly corrosive sulfuric and nitric acids
(D) and atmospheric water vapor which have produced sulfuric and nitric acids which are highly corrosive
(E) and atmospheric water vapor to produce highly corrosive sulfuric and nitric acids

10. Added to the increase in hourly wages requested last July, the railroad employees are now seeking an expanded program of retirement benefits.
(A) Added to the increase in hourly wages requested last July, the railroad employees are now seeking an expanded program of retirement benefits.
(B) Added to the increase in hourly wages which had been requested last July, the employees of the railroad are now seeking an expanded program of retirement benefits.
(C) The railroad employees are now seeking an expanded program of retirement benefits added to the increase in hourly wages that were requested last July.
(D) In addition to the increase in hourly wages that were requested last July, the railroad employees are now seeking an expanded program of retirement benefits.
(E) In addition to the increase in hourly wages requested last July, the employees of the railroad are now seeking an expanded program of retirement benefits.

11. Adult survivors of child abuse traditionally have had little or no chance that they could get their symptoms recognized and treated.
(A) that they could get their symptoms recognized and treated
(B) to recognize and treat their symptoms
(C) of getting their symptoms recognized and treated
(D) of recognizing and treating symptoms
(E) of getting his or her symptoms recognized and treated

12. Affording strategic proximity to the Strait of Gibraltar, Morocco was also of interest to the French throughout the first half of the twentieth century because they assumed that if they did not hold it, their grip on Algeria was always insecure.
(A) if they did not hold it, their grip on Algeria was always insecure
(B) without it their grip on Algeria would never be secure
(C) their grip on Algeria was not ever secure if they did not hold it
(D) without that, they could never be secure about their grip on Algeria
(E) never would their grip on Algeria be secure if they did not hold it

13. After a few weeks €™ experience, apprentice jewelers can usually begin to discriminate, though not with absolute certainty, genuine diamonds from imitation diamonds.
(A) genuine diamonds from imitation diamonds
(B) genuine diamonds apart from imitations
(C) between genuine diamonds and imitation diamonds
(D) among genuine diamonds and imitation diamonds
(E) whether diamonds are imitation or genuine
" I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestine d, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road."

OA is as follows:

4) C (Although I cant suggest a better option than C, but the sentence is closing on "will be" and this is not considered good as per GMAT. Need help!!)
5) D
6) A (there is no need of "may be". It is redundant.)
7) A (Please explain this one)
8) E (I chose D, but perhaps E is more concise and clear.)

" I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestine d, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road."

4) option C

5) option D
6) option B
7) option A
8) option C

how many of these are correct...plz do explain...TYiA
These are tough ones in my opinion..

4) According to Interstudy, a nonprofit organization that studies health maintenance organizations (HMO's), they estimate that, in comparison to last year, when only 36 percent of the nation's 607 HMO's was profitable, this year 73 percent will be.
(A) they estimate that, in comparison to last year, when only 36 percent of the nation's 607 HMO's was profitable, this year 73 percent will be
(B) compared to only 36 percent of the nation's 607 HMO's being profitable last year, they estimate 73 percent would be this year
(C) only 36 percent of the nation's 607 HMO's were profitable last year; it estimates that this year 73 percent will be
(D) it estimates 73 percent of the nation's 607 HMO's would be profitable this year; last year that was only 36 percent
(E) only 36 percent of the nation's 607 HMO's last year were profitable, whereas they estimate it this year to be 73 percent

5) According to scientists at the University of California, the pattern of changes that have occurred in human DNA over the millennia indicate the possibility that everyone alive today might be descended from a single female ancestor who lived in Africa sometime between 140,000 and 280,000 years ago.
(A) indicate the possibility that everyone alive today might be descended from a single female ancestor who
(B) indicate that everyone alive today might possibly be a descendant of a single female ancestor who had
(C) may indicate that everyone alive today has descended from a single female ancestor who had
(D) indicates that everyone alive today may be a descendant of a single female ancestor who
(E) indicates that everyone alive today might be a descendant from a single female ancestor who

6) According to some analysts, whatever its merits, the proposal to tax away all capital gains on short-term investments would, if enacted, have a disastrous effect on Wall Street trading and employment.
(A) its merits, the proposal to tax
(B) its merits may be, the proposal of taxing
(C) its merits as a proposal, taxing
(D) the proposal's merits, to tax
(E) the proposal's merits are, taxing

7) According to some economists, Japan is in danger of plunging into a depression that, with double-digit unemployment, could severely strain a society that regards lifetime employment as a virtual right of citizenship.
(A) that, with double-digit unemployment, could severely strain
(B) that, because of double-digit unemployment, could be a severe strain for
(C) with double-digit unemployment, and it could severely strain
(D) with double-digit unemployment and could be a severe strain
(E) with double-digit unemployment and could severely strain

8) According to some economists, the July decrease in unemployment so that it was the lowest in two years suggests that the gradual improvement in the job market is continuing.
(A) so that it was the lowest in two years
(B) so that it was the lowest two-year rate
(C) to what would be the lowest in two years
(D) to a two-year low level
(E) to the lowest level in two years
  • 1 Like  
@ramitagrawal said:
OA --> 2) D, 3) E
Can you please throw some light on question 2....why have you chosen D over C...Isnt the parallelism failing in case of D.
In ques 3, we dont say much of the dioxins, it will be many of the dioxins, so we narrow down to D and E. Now according to me it should be D but OA says E.

Question 2:
the cells are beating in UNISON , "yet" oreintations EXCLUSIVE to each other.
it is the IRONY which the second part of the sentence is highlighting.
Hence "YET" is the cathword here.
Question 3:
With your logic of "MANY".... even i think " E " shud b the correct choice since it should be "EXPOSED TO" & not only exposed only....
  • 1 Like  
LIFE is all about choices u make & so is CAT !!
@karan20 said:
my take :2) - D3) - B
OA --> 2) D, 3) E
Can you please throw some light on question 2....why have you chosen D over C...Isnt the parallelism failing in case of D.
In ques 3, we dont say much of the dioxins, it will be many of the dioxins, so we narrow down to D and E. Now according to me it should be D but OA says E.

@ramitagrawal said:
2) A peculiar feature of the embryonic mammalian circulatory system is that in the area of the heart the cells adhere to one another, beating in unison and adopting specialized orientations exclusive of one another.

(A) beating in unison and adopting
(B) they beat in unison while adopting
(C) beat in unison, and adopt
(D) beating in unison yet adopting
(E) even though they beat in unison and adopt

3) A report by the American Academy for the Advancement of Science has concluded that much of the currently uncontrolled dioxins to which North Americans are exposed comes from the incineration of wastes.

(A) much of the currently uncontrolled dioxins to which North Americans are exposed comes
(B) much of the currently uncontrolled dioxins that North Americans are exposed to come
(C) much of the dioxins that are currently uncontrolled and that North Americans are exposed to comes
(D) many of the dioxins that are currently uncontrolled and North Americans are exposed to come
(E) many of the currently uncontrolled dioxins to which North Americans are exposed come
my take :
2) - D
3) - B
LIFE is all about choices u make & so is CAT !!
2) A peculiar feature of the embryonic mammalian circulatory system is that in the area of the heart the cells adhere to one another, beating in unison and adopting specialized orientations exclusive of one another.

(A) beating in unison and adopting
(B) they beat in unison while adopting
(C) beat in unison, and adopt
(D) beating in unison yet adopting
(E) even though they beat in unison and adopt

3) A report by the American Academy for the Advancement of Science has concluded that much of the currently uncontrolled dioxins to which North Americans are exposed comes from the incineration of wastes.

(A) much of the currently uncontrolled dioxins to which North Americans are exposed comes
(B) much of the currently uncontrolled dioxins that North Americans are exposed to come
(C) much of the dioxins that are currently uncontrolled and that North Americans are exposed to comes
(D) many of the dioxins that are currently uncontrolled and North Americans are exposed to come
(E) many of the currently uncontrolled dioxins to which North Americans are exposed come
@karan20 said:is it E ?

I thought the same but the OA says otherwise....Although I am not sure about the credibility of OA....

OA-->D

In my opinion we have to replace the pronoun "they" with the actual noun "power stations", since pronoun creates ambiguity....so it should be E....

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

10588 people follow this discussion.