About this discussion

Last updated

Author
Sachin . @Govi

Tags

GMAT Sentence Correction Discussions

The GMAT and Related Discussions section is very fragmented in terms of the information available at one's disposal. There are one of reply threads and several other redundant threads that have masked the more important ones. This is an atte...
Follow this discussion to get notified of latest updates.
Page 51 of 713   
Hi PS2

I have a confusion here that in your A choice we have HAD. Do we actually require HAD over here because had is actually recquired when we have 2 actions in past. Here we just have one action which was in past and the other action will be in future. Please clear my confusion.

The non-underlined portion 'retailer said' indicates that this event was in past.
Present perfect tense ('has been') indicates that action began in past and continues in present whereas Past perfect tense ('had been') indicates a completed action prior to some other completed past action (in this case 'retailer said')
vaibhavwadhera Says
My answer is C

Hi PS2

I have a confusion here that in your A choice we have HAD. Do we actually require HAD over here because had is actually recquired when we have 2 actions in past. Here we just have one action which was in past and the other action will be in future. Please clear my confusion.

the split is between "recently and "recent". if its recently then it will modify extended. if its recent it will modify sales slump.

clearly the intention is not to indicate "recently extended" sales slump but "recent" and "extended" sales slump. So i simply dropped all options ending in recently. was left with option A which was the best out of remaining.
  • 3 Likes  
ISBCo2014 spreadsheet - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AkGkc0yWHIvAdE9DZ2UwbDB4TlIxZkpnZnZITUpEemc
Go Global with ISBR Global PGDM – AICTE Approved

Advantages

- AICTE Approved

- Excellent ROI with cent% placement

- Experience 3 different countries

- Ranked No. 1 New Generation B-Schools of India

- Affordable Fee

Know More

ISBR Edge

- 23 years of excellence

- Located in Bangalore

- Highest Salary offered: 28 Lakh p.a.

- Received Exemplary Placement Award 2014

Download Fee Sructure

Answer is A... Got confused between has been/ had been

vaibhavwadhera Says
My answer is C

ps25 Says
Option A...?

whose 'problems' -- retailer -- singular subject, singular verb -- its
has/had been -- As 'sales slump' happened prior to 'retailer said'. So, past perfect

IMO: A
NITIE | PGDIM 2013-15
has/had been -- As 'sales slump' happened prior to 'retailer said'. So, past perfect

ps25 Says
Option A...?

Hi PS2

Reporting that one of its many problems had been the recent extended sales slump in women's apparel, the seven-store retailer said it would start a three-month liquidation sale in all of its stores.

(A) its many problems had been the recent
(B) its many problems has been the recently
(C) its many problems is the recently
(D) their many problems is the recent
(E) their many problems had been the recent

My answer is C
Reporting that one of its many problems had been the recent extended sales slump in women's apparel, the seven-store retailer said it would start a three-month liquidation sale in all of its stores.

Option A...?
  • 1 Like  
ISBCo2014 spreadsheet - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AkGkc0yWHIvAdE9DZ2UwbDB4TlIxZkpnZnZITUpEemc

• 1 Like  
Out of America's fascination with all things antique have grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that are bringing back the chaise lounge, the overstuffed sofa, and the claw-footed bathtub.

(A) things antique have grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that are bringing
(B) things antique has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that is bringing
(C) things that are antiques has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that bring
(D) antique things have grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that are bringing
(E) antique things has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that bring

My Answer is B

NITIE | PGDIM 2013-15
Out of America's fascination with all things antique have grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that are bringing back the chaise lounge, the overstuffed sofa, and the claw-footed bathtub.

(A) things antique have grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that are bringing
(B) things antique has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that is bringing
(C) things that are antiques has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that bring
(D) antique things have grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that are bringing
(E) antique things has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that bring

what has grown a market -- america's fascination -- singular subject, singular verb -- has
what is bringing back -- it can be either ' styles of furniture and fixtures' or 'market' .. former doesn't sound good so we go with 'market' -- singular subject, singular verb -- is

IMO: B

B it is....

ps25 Says
Option B ?
NITIE | PGDIM 2013-15

Option B ?
  • 1 Like  

NITIE | PGDIM 2013-15
sandy_venkat Says
The answer is E. Its a direct case of violation of the parallelism rule. How items.... should be logically connected with how frequently... In D, we have the 'how..' but the ending is messed up. It goes into a different tense. E puts it correctly. Am i right??

I too find E to be more convincing. But i ruled out "often" part by its actual usage than the gramattical content that you had mentioned about.

Can you please explain that for me
Though once powerful political forces, labor unions have lost much of their influence, which has resulted in a political climate that some analysts claim to favor management.
which has resulted in a political climate that some analysts claim to favor
resulting in a political climate that some analysts claim favors
which has resulted in a political climate that some analysts claim that favors
resulting in a political climate that some analysts claim to be in favor of
which has resulted in a political climate that has been claimed by some analysts to favor

Can anyone please help me out with the solution of above with explanations. Thanks

My Answer is B

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

2675 people follow this discussion.