About this discussion

Last updated

Author
Sachin . @Govi

Tags

GMAT Sentence Correction Discussions

The GMAT and Related Discussions section is very fragmented in terms of the information available at one's disposal. There are one of reply threads and several other redundant threads that have masked the more important ones. This is an atte...
Follow this discussion to get notified of latest updates.
Page 51 of 1082   

Practice Question

Official representative of the GMAT exam. Learn more at http://www.mba.com

Many of the earliest known images of Hindu deities in India date from the time of the Kushan empire, fashioned either from the spotted sandstone of Mathura or Gandharangrey schist.

72 people answered this question.
Press 'like' if you like my comment !!
You can view the comments after answering or skipping this question.

please suggest how to improve & work on the topic 'sentence correction'? also, please suggest the study materials/links.

• Thanks a lot @OfficialGMAT :smiley:. 27 May '14.
  • @boombaat The sentence correction portion of the GMAT mea.... 26 May '14.
Awaited- IIM Indore(+Mumbai); IIT-B; New IIMs  Rejects - FMS, TASWaitlisted- MDI, XIMB, IIT KGP Converts - NITIE, IMT, IMI
OfficialGMAT
Official GMAT @OfficialGMAT 1,353

@boombaat The sentence correction portion of the GMAT measures your ability to identify a sentence choice that is grammatically correct and demonstrates clear and concise writing. In standard written English, the active voice is often the preferred expression, but there is no one rule that would guide what would be correct in every situation. In the case of sentence correction, I would look carefully at each choice before determining the best option. While active voice is one factor you should consider, it is by no means the only way of determining the correct choice
As far as study material is considered, you can participate in the practice questions asked twice a week across sections at
www.mba.com/service/my-account/my-gmat-practice-question.aspx?CID=EB5B...
also you can start by downloading the FREE GMAT prep software which gives you 2 full length tests with GMAT retired questions, it can be downloaded at www.mba.com/store/download-free-gmatprep-software.aspx?CID=68587D16-BC... Good Luck!

Hi, I am planning to give GMAT in 3 months with an aim of 700 + . Can someone please tell me the strategy, time table and/or study materials and links that could help me.

PS I hardly get time out of my office still I can pull out 3-4 hours per day to study.

• Thanks @OfficialGMAT will take a look. 23 May '14.
  • @heenashree have a read at this blog which will help you .... 23 May '14.
heenashree
ScoreGMAT @heenashree 4
Thanks @OfficialGMAT will take a look
OfficialGMAT
Official GMAT @OfficialGMAT 1,353
@heenashree have a read at this blog which will help you plan for your best GMAT www.mba.com/india/the-gmat-blog-hub/the-official-gmat-blog/2013/sep/st...
You can then download the free gmat prep software which will give you the retired questions from past GMAT, to give you a simulated feel of the exam. You can download the same at

www.mba.com/store/download-free-gmatprep-software.aspx?CID=68587D16-BC...
Good Luck!

Hi guys, If anyone is looking for high quality sentence correction questions for practice then you should definitely go for GMAT Prep question collection, which are actual GMAT retired questions just like Official Guides. Here you can find it:

• If anyone is looking for high quality practice about GMAT.... 23 Jun '14.
manyatasinghani
Manata Singhaniya @manyatasinghani  

If anyone is looking for high quality practice about GMAT. Then GMAT is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council. Thanks to share this information. I found One link to helping you. It has more offers. See here : http://www.credilaonestop.com/

In MGMAT, I came across a question:

"Helen would feel better if she swallowed this pill "

This sentence is CORRECT.

I just wanted to check what is wrong with :

"Helen would feel better if she swallows this pill ".

Can someone please answer this ?

• 1 Like   3 Comments
  • @pg1483 Yes, I know that. It was mentioned in MGMAT book .... 21 May '14.
  • ur second statement shud be "helen will feel better if sh.... 21 May '14.
ameyagmat1989
Ameya @ameyagmat1989 3
@pg1483 Yes, I know that. It was mentioned in MGMAT book as well.
I specifically want to know which rule is being flouted in the 2nd sentence.
pg1483
prateek gupta @pg1483 252
ur second statement shud be "helen will feel better if she swallows this pill"

Hey guys, found this sentence correction question on MGMAT:

A new textbook focused on recent advances in artificial intelligence assigned by our instructor.

To which I answered:

A new textbook, assigned by our instructor, focused on recent advances in artificial intelligence.

Was I correct?

• 3 Comments
  • Or you could have answered like- A New textbook focused o.... 30 May '14.
  • Seems good :thumbsup:. 16 May '14.
rajeev44
Raj D @rajeev44 12
Or you could have answered like- A New textbook focused on recent advances in artificial intelligence was assigned by our instructor. Notice the addition of the ver WAS and the passive form of the sentence. Though passive seems awkward in GMAT, they are gramatically right (mostly). Also it could also be that the modifier

focused on recent advances in artificial intelligence is Essential Modifier since it is without any commas and going by the sentence it clearly modifies the BOOK.

Correct the sentence in {........}

{Based on extant archeological evidence, each hunting season women and men collaborated in pursuit of game animals that would feed} the tribe and that, contrary to textbook histories, women hunting alone were not uncommon.

• 1 Like  
Veritas Gurgaon - 9810801887 

Seven out of ten liability holders also owe money to at least one credit card company

71 people answered this question.
1 Comments

30. It was nearly impossible to diagnose the girl's illness even after three hospitalizations, several months of therapy, and a near mental breakdown because no one medical professional €“ neither her therapist nor her doctors €“ were able to see the full scope of her symptoms.

65 people answered this question.
6 Comments

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

17635 people follow this discussion.