About this discussion

Last updated

Author
Sachin . @Govi

Tags

GMAT Sentence Correction Discussions

The GMAT and Related Discussions section is very fragmented in terms of the information available at one's disposal. There are one of reply threads and several other redundant threads that have masked the more important ones. This is an atte...
Follow this discussion to get notified of latest updates.
Page 487 of 711   

My answer is A. Whats the OA?

It is A I guess

Admissions 2015 @ Great Lakes

PGPM 2015-16

1 Year Fast Track MBA Program for experienced professionals. 

App. Deadline (Cycle 2): 24 Jan. 2015

PGDM 2015-17

2 Year MBA program for graduates with 0-2 years of experience. 

Learn More

Global Faculty and internationally benchmarked curriculum

Accredited by AMBA, UK (PGPM & PGXPM Programs)

Ranked 7th by Outlook & Business Today in One Year MBA Programs (2014)

Ranked 10th by Business India in Top B-Schools (2014)

Avg. CTC of INR 11.43 Lakhs p.a. for PGPM 2013-14 &

Avg. CTC of INR 8.07 Lakhs p.a. for PGDM 2012-14

Know More
Declining revenues resulting from a decrease in business travel, a source of income without which most commercial airlines could not survive, are going to force many commercial airlines to increase prices and decrease services in the coming months.

(A) a source of income without which most commercial airlines could not survive, are
(B) a source of income without which most commercial airlines could not survive, is
(C) and most commercial airlines use it as a source of income to survive with, are
(D) which is a source of income which is needed by most commercial airlines who could not survive without it, are
(E) which most commercial airlines use as a source of income without which they are unable to survive, is

I believe its a choice between A and D.
D sounds wordy so will like to fall for A.
Declining revenues resulting from a decrease in business travel, a source of income without which most commercial airlines could not survive, are going to force many commercial airlines to increase prices and decrease services in the coming months.

(A)a source of income without which most commercial airlines could not survive, are
(B)a source of income without which most commercial airlines could not survive, is
(C)and most commercial airlines use it as a source of income to survive with, are
(D)which is a source of income which is needed by most commercial airlines who could not survive without it, are
(E) which most commercial airlines use as a source of income without which they are unable to survive, is

Answer is A.

Declining revenues should have a verb 'are' and not 'is'. so B and E can be eliminated.

D - Wordy and also one which does not have a immediate preceding comma.
C - Wordy again. Ends the phrase with 'survive with'. awkward.
A - Best answer

(A)a source of income without which most commercial airlines could not survive, are
(B)a source of income without which most commercial airlines could not survive, is
(C)and most commercial airlines use it as a source of income to survive with, are
(D)which is a source of income which is needed by most commercial airlines who could not survive without it, are

I think A is the answer. 'are' is needed as it goes with declining revenues (revenues are the revenues for different commercial airline companies and so these are different revenues making it a plural term). This eliminates B and E. C is unclear as to declining revenues is a source of income or business travel. D is too much text and hard to comrehend. So I think A is right.

Q2: The federal rules aimed at protecting human subjects of medical experiments were established to ensure that patients must be warned of potential risks and an independent panel would evaluate the experiment before it was conducted.

C) are warned about potential risks and that an independent panel
E) would be warned of potential risks and that an independent panel would
My observations: one can easily discard A, B ..wrong sequence of words & D--wrong sequence of tense..cannot take it to future tense.
among C and E
the first part gives a sense ..something was established & still carries on..so we can use present indefinite form... option "C"....but the end "before it was conducted" clears that it was a practiced in the past..so we can adjust are to would .."

• 1 Like  
My answer for the 2nd questions is B and for the 3rd is A.

For the 3rd questions, I came down A and D. A scored because 'that' is a restrictive clause.

natural resource base of countries - Here we want to show the set of countries were as varied as china, Netherlands and Hungary. D tells that this varied set of countries are there only in the subset of countries.

Hope this helps. Shout back if am wrong :)

OA for Q2 is E. If anyone got the logic, please share your explanation.

1. C
2. E
3. A
4. B
People use and not uses. So we can leave out A and D. C has the pronoun error 'them'. so it comes between B and E.

GMAT prefers consice option. We don't have to use Englog again. Thats where B scores over E.

I believe E is the right answer.In choice B one can not infer hwta the last part is modifying.
In his work, George Santayana is more reminiscent of Plato's poetic narratives and Henry David Thoreau's obsessive detailing than Bertrand Russells scientific precisions.
A. In his work, George Santayana is more reminiscent of
B. George Santayana writes more like
C. George Santayana reminds one more of
D. George Santayana's work is more reminiscent of
E. George Santayanas work more resembles that of

Now my bet is on D but exam says E. But is "..resembles that of" a good way to compare in this case (I think that of is redundant here as we already have Plato's poetic narratives). Any idea?

E indeed is the right answer.reminiscent is adjective first.and i believe its better to compare nouns.
Moreover the work which is compared.
whats the OA for Q2..??..

Could you share your reasoning behind Q3..??..

My answer for the 2nd questions is B and for the 3rd is A.

For the 3rd questions, I came down A and D. A scored because 'that' is a restrictive clause.

natural resource base of countries - Here we want to show the set of countries were as varied as china, Netherlands and Hungary. D tells that this varied set of countries are there only in the subset of countries.

Hope this helps. Shout back if am wrong
Thanks all for the explanations provided.
Ans1 - C
Ans3 - A
Ans4 - B
My explanation for Q4 goes as below:
A) rising interest rates makes it more expensive to buy them on credit
---->> It should be 'rising interest rates make...' and not makes
B) rising interest rates make buying on credit more expensive
C) a rise in interest rates make it more expensive to buy on credit
---->> 'a rise in X makes it....' is correct. Second error is 'a rise in interest rates' It should be either 'rise in interest rates' or 'a rise in interest rate'.
D) a rise in interest rates make buying on credit more expensive
---->> same error as in C
E) a rise in interest rates makes it more expensive for them to be bought on credit
---->> same error as in C
B has singular-plural agreement and is the correct answer.

whats the OA for Q2..??..

Could you share your reasoning behind Q3..??..

Q4: Nothing that the Federal Reserve had raised a key short term interest rate again last month, analysts said that they expected prders for durable goods to decline soon because rising interest rates makes it more expensive to buy them on credit.
A) rising interest rates makes it more expensive to buy them on credit
B) rising interest rates make buying on credit more expensive
C) a rise in interest rates make it more expensive to buy on credit
D) a rise in interest rates make buying on credit more expensive
E) a rise in interest rates makes it more expensive for them to be bought on credit

seems there is some typo mistake.. it should be "noting" and not "nothing".

I think option A and option B can be ruled out since they start with "rising".. they wud have sounded good only if they wud have started with "raising"

Option DC can and option D can also be ruled out becoz of improper usage of "make".. it should be "makes" instead..

So by the funda of elimination, I am left with only option E, which I would have NEVER marked as my answer.. too complicated of a sentence

Let's revisit... humm.. rising interest rates > make buying... makes sense (not that rising is the best choice of words..).. I might have marked option B

Q3: So called green taxes, which exact a price for the use of polluting or on renewable fuels, are having positive effect on the environment and natural resource base of countries as varied as China, the Netherlands, and Hungary.
A) as varied as
B) as varied as are
C) as varied as those of
D) that are as varied as
E) that are varied as are

the only confusion I have is between option A and option C... not sure though :lookround:

I would have marked option C, reason being
... green taxes... are having positive effect on the environment and natural resource base of countries China, the Netherlands, and Hungary.

This means we are talking about the natural base (followed by environment) and that's where "those" fits in the sentence..
Q1:
Q2: The federal rules aimed at protecting human subjects of medical experiments were established to ensure that patients must be warned of potential risks and an independent panel would evaluate the experiment before it was conducted.
A) must be warned of potential risks and an independent panel would
B) must be warned of potential risks and that an independent panel
C) are warned about potential risks and that an independent panel
D) will be warned about potential risks and an independent panel would
E) would be warned of potential risks and that an independent panel would

I would have chosen option C

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

2433 people follow this discussion.