PaGaLGuY Prepathon Mock CATs

Download the FREE PaGaLGuY Prepathon app to join in the free test series that start on Sept 13th.
The app is used by over 50,000+ students

About this discussion

Last updated

Author
Sachin . @Govi

Tags

GMAT Sentence Correction Discussions

The GMAT and Related Discussions section is very fragmented in terms of the information available at one's disposal. There are one of reply threads and several other redundant threads that have masked the more important ones. This is an atte...
Follow this discussion to get notified of latest updates.
Page 487 of 1093   

Hi All,

Another tricky one!!!

1. According to the professors philosophy, the antidote to envy is ones own work, always ones own work: not thinking about it, not assessing it, but simply doing it.
(A) ones own work, always ones own work: not thinking about it, not assessing it, but simply doing it
(B) always work; because you dont think about it or assess it, you just do it
(C) always ones own work: not thinking about or assessing it, but simply to do it
(D) not to think or assess, but doing ones own work
(E) neither to think about ones own work nor to assess it, it is always simply doing it
Correct me if am wrong, i think A should be correct because the antidote to envy is ones own work can come here ,all the other option are point some where else.

Hi All,
Take a shot at this!!!
According to some economists, the July decrease in unemployment so that it was the lowest in two years suggests that the gradual improvement in the job market is continuing.
A. so that it was the lowest in two years
B. so that it was the lowest two-year rate
C. to what would be the lowest in two years
D. to a two-year low level
E. to the lowest level in two years

Sish-in Says
OA is E,but whats wrong with D

The problem is I don't remember where i did this ques last time so can't get the exact explanation. jitna i remember and using the sentences will try to explain-

what we intend to say is -
the decrease is the lowest level in the two years and not the other way round that is why E and not D.
D suggests that the decrease is to the two year which is at low level !
which changes the meaning.

Hope this helps. i'll try to search where i did the ques and will post the answer then.

Regards,
Neha
Prepathon – Prepare for IBPS, SSC-CGL and more!

Prepathon gives you courses that are backed by real coaches. Ask, discuss and learn from both coaches and other students. Innovative learning formats, friendly coaches and cutting edge technology — all in one powerful mobile app.

Google Play Store     Learn More

Download prepathon for free

Prepathon is available on the Google Play Store for a free download.

Google Play Store
I did this ques few days back. don't rememebr the answer.
but i think it is E/D.
What's the answer ?

OA is E,but whats wrong with D

Hi Sid,

Thanks for searching so much.
The explanation does make sense.
but i'm not sure. will re-check and will let you know in 2-3 days.

Regards,
Neha

Hi Neha,

below is the explanantion but i still feel C should be the correct one.Whats your take?

A is not correct because the "that" at the end makes the "meteorite impact" refer to "contributed".it is not what the sentence meant to say. what it meant to say is:
that "global forest fires ignited by a meteorite impact" contributed to......???"
The theory is about how global forest fires caused by...were responsible for dinosaur
extinction. The author is using 'clay deposits that were found' as an evidence to
support the theory.
The 'theory is not of global forests' so choices A, C are out.
'Evidence of support' is un-idiomatic. so choice E is out.
D is out as the sentences joins two sentences using 'AND' as though they are
independent. However, one thing caused the other and hence the usage of 'AND'
here is inappropriate.
So the correct answer is 'B'.

I did this ques few days back. don't rememebr the answer.
but i think it is E/D.
What's the answer ?

Hi All,
Take a shot at this!!!
According to some economists, the July decrease in unemployment so that it was the lowest in two years suggests that the gradual improvement in the job market is continuing.
My answers are in Blue above with explanation.
Hope that helps.

Regards,
Neha

Hi Neha,

below is the explanantion but i still feel C should be the correct one.Whats your take?

A is not correct because the "that" at the end makes the "meteorite impact" refer to "contributed".it is not what the sentence meant to say. what it meant to say is:
that "global forest fires ignited by a meteorite impact" contributed to......???
The theory is about how global forest fires caused by...were responsible for dinosaur
extinction. The author is using 'clay deposits that were found' as an evidence to
support the theory.

The 'theory is not of global forests' so choices A, C are out.
'Evidence of support' is un-idiomatic. so choice E is out.
D is out as the sentences joins two sentences using 'AND' as though they are
independent. However, one thing caused the other and hence the usage of 'AND'
here is inappropriate.

So the correct answer is 'B'
Hi All,

Take a shot at this!!!

A recent study of ancient clay deposits has provided new evidence supporting the theory of global forest fires ignited by a meteorite impact that contributed to the extinction of the dinosaurs and many other creatures some 65 million years ago.
A. supporting the theory of global forest fires ignited by a meteorite impact that
B. supporting the theory that global forest fires ignited by a meteorite impact
C. that supports the theory of global forest fires that were ignited by a meteorite impact and that
D. in support of the theory that global forest fires were ignited by a meteorite impact and that
E. of support for the theory of a meteorite impact that ignited global forest fires and
E. of support for the theory of a meteorite impact that ignited global forest fires and
Explanation:
I think the answer is C.
It's like- the study...provided the evidence that supports....and that impacted....
The issue over here is Parallelism.
I don't go with the OA over here. Give the OA's explanation.

much/many?
A report by the American Academy for the Advancement of Science has concluded that much of the currently uncontrolled dioxins to which North Americans are exposed comes from the incineration of wastes.
A. much of the currently uncontrolled dioxins to which North Americans are exposed comes
B. much of the currently uncontrolled dioxins that North Americans are exposed to come
C. much of the dioxins that are currently uncontrolled and that North Americans are exposed to comes
D. many of the dioxins that are currently uncontrolled and North Americans are exposed to come
E. many of the currently uncontrolled dioxins to which North Americans are exposed come
Explanation:
Much is used for Uncountable Nouns.
Many is used for Countable Nouns.
and here Dioxins are countable so many is required.

A wildlife expert predicts that the reintroduction of the caribou into northern Minnesota would fail if the density of the timber wolf population in that region is more numerous than one wolf for every 39 square miles.

A. would fail if the density of the timber wolf population in that region is more numerous than
B. would fail provided the density of the timber wolf population in that region is more than
C. should fail if the timber wolf density in that region was greater than
D. will fail if the density of the timber wolf population in that region is greater than
E. will fail if the timber wolf density in that region were more numerous than

Explanation-
Here the rule which we'll check for is the conditional result which is: X will happen if Y happens. and in this the Verb of the main clause is always in future and verb of the if is in present indicative.

My answers are in Blue above with explanation.
Hope that helps.

Regards,
Neha
  • 1 Like  

The correct answer can only be D.
Cause we are talking about social and economic determinants of fertility.
Economical means cheap. Economical does not mean "pertain to economy" as we intend to say here. that is why options B,C and E are straight eliminated. And A is not formed correctly. Hence Answer is D.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Neha

Hi,

OA is E(don't know how)

But i agree there is wrong use of 'Economical'.

Appreciated.

Regards,

Sid

Hi Sid,

It's alright.
OA in certain books are wrong at times. so don't cling to OA so much. We need to use some come sense at times also.

Good luck,
Neha

Hi All,

A wildlife expert predicts that the reintroduction of the caribou into northern Minnesota would fail if the density of the timber wolf population in that region is more numerous than one wolf for every 39 square miles.

A. would fail if the density of the timber wolf population in that region is more numerous than
B. would fail provided the density of the timber wolf population in that region is more than
C. should fail if the timber wolf density in that region was greater than
D. will fail if the density of the timber wolf population in that region is greater than
E. will fail if the timber wolf density in that region were more numerous than

confusion b/w B and D.

OA is D

when to use more than/greater than?

any help is appreciated.

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

26804 people follow this discussion.