About this discussion

Last updated

Author
Sachin . @Govi

Tags

GMAT Sentence Correction Discussions

The GMAT and Related Discussions section is very fragmented in terms of the information available at one's disposal. There are one of reply threads and several other redundant threads that have masked the more important ones. This is an atte...
Follow this discussion to get notified of latest updates.
Page 487 of 1098   

hi guys,
wanna have good gmat related material for free
go to the site
Categories in Fundoogyan Forum
which i think have lot of material.
thanks

Although the Supreme Court ruled as long ago as 1880 that Blacks could not be excluded outright from jury service, nearly a century of case-by-case adjudication has been necessary to develop and enforce the principle that all juries must be drawn from a fair cross section of the community.

(A) has been necessary to develop and enforce the principle that all juries must be
(B) was necessary for developing and enforcing the principle of all juries being
(C) was to be necessary in developing and enforcing the principle of all juries to be
(D) is necessary to develop and enforce the principle that all juries must be
(E) will be necessary for developing and enforcing the principle of all juries being

??

Option A is correct.

Reasons:-

1)correct use of tense
2)..........all juries must be drawn is correct usage.

Hope that helps
Artificial intelligence emerged during the late 1950s as an academic discipline based on the assumption that computers are able to be programmed to think like people.
A. are able to be programmed to think like people
B. were able to be programmed to think as people
C. can be programmed to think as people can
D. could be programmed to think like people
E. are capable of being programmed to think like people do
Hi Sid,

Sorry for the wrong explanation and answer before.
The answer to this ques is C as gauragar said.
Just checked the basic difference between As and Liks is:

As-used to compare two actions.
Like-used to compare two nouns.

Regards,
Neha

I agree with all of u there...rules should be kept in mind...BUT
here the meaning of the sentence changes completely if u go with 'C'

The 'can' placed at the end brings a new meaning to the sentence; just like people can be programmed to think, the computers can also be programmed to think
Please correct me if i am wrong.
165)

Because of the business communitys uncertainty about the Presidents position in regard to the issue of the budget deficit, an unanticipated rise in interest rates has occurred.
A. in regard to the issue of the budget deficit, an unanticipated rise in interest rates has
B. on the deficit, an unanticipated rise in interest rates has
C. regarding the budgetary deficit, an unanticipated rise in interest rates have
D. on the deficit, an unanticipated rise in interest rates have
E. regarding the deficit, an unanticipated rise in interest rats have

i think the answer is B... the reason being...we are talking about the RISE so it will take a singular verb not a plural verb ....so it has to be HAS and not HAVE....

will wait for the OA
Hi,

what you guys think of this AS/LIKE

Artificial intelligence emerged during the late 1950s as an academic discipline based on the assumption that computers are able to be programmed to think like people.
A. are able to be programmed to think like people
B. were able to be programmed to think as people
C. can be programmed to think as people can
D. could be programmed to think like people
E. are capable of being programmed to think like people do

It think it is "C",
As vs like, As is used to compare two actions while like for two nouns, here we are comparing the thinking so "E" is gone.

Hi Sid,

Sorry for the wrong explanation and answer before.
The answer to this ques is C as gauragar said.
Just checked the basic difference between As and Liks is:

As-used to compare two actions.
Like-used to compare two nouns.

Regards,
Neha
Hi All,
try these!!!
167)
Because paper of all kinds is the biggest single component of municipal trash, many municipalities have tried recycling to reduce the cost of trash disposal.
A. Because paper of all kinds is the biggest single component of municipal trash, many municipalities have tried recycling to reduce the cost of trash disposal.

B. Because paper of all kinds is the biggest single component in municipal trash, many municipalities tried to recycle so that the cost of trash disposal is reduced.
C. Because paper of all kinds are the biggest single components in municipal trash, many municipalities have tried to recycle to reduce the cost of trash disposal.
D. All kinds of paper are the biggest single components of municipal trash, and so many municipalities have tried recycling to reduce the cost of trash disposal.
E. All kinds of paper is the biggest single component of municipal trash, so many municipalities have tried to recycle so that the cost of trash disposal could be reduced.
Question:168
Because the Earths crust is more solid there and thus better able to transmit shock waves, an earthquake of a given magnitude typically devastates an area 100 times greater in the eastern United States than it does in the West.
A. of a given magnitude typically devastates an area 100 times greater in the eastern United States than it does in the West
B. of a given magnitude will typically devastate 100 times the area if it occurs in the eastern United States instead of the West
C. will typically devastate 100 times the area in the eastern United States than one of the comparable magnitude occurring in the West
D. in the eastern United States will typically devastate an area 100 times greater than will a quake of comparable magnitude occurring in the West

E. that occurs in the eastern United States will typically devastate 100 times more area than if it occurred with comparable magnitude in the West
Question:169
Because the enemys new ship is the quietest and it is therefore the most elusive submarine, it is being increasingly viewed by the military as a threat to security.
A. and it is therefore the most elusive submarine, it is being increasingly viewed
B. it is therefore the most elusive of submarines, and it has increased the view
C. and therefore the most elusive submarine, it is being increasingly viewed
D. and therefore it is the most elusive of submarines, there is an increasing view
E. therefore being the most elusive of submarines, it is increasingly viewed
Question:170
Because the financial review covered only the last few fiscal years, and therefore the investigators were unable to determine the extent to possible earlier overpayments.
A. and therefore the investigators were unable to determine the extent to possible
B. so therefore the investigators were not capable of determining the possible extent of
C. therefore the investigators were unable to determine the possible extent of
D. the investigators were not capable of determining the possible extent of
E. the investigators were unable to determine the extent of possible

My answers in Blue above.

Regards,
Neha

I'm not sure of my answers this time. Do tell what's the correct answer with explanation.

165)

Because of the business communitys uncertainty about the Presidents position in regard to the issue of the budget deficit, an unanticipated rise in interest rates has occurred.
A. in regard to the issue of the budget deficit, an unanticipated rise in interest rates has

C. regarding the budgetary deficit, an unanticipated rise in interest rates have
I did feel the answer is B don't know why i said D for this one!

Although the Supreme Court ruled as long ago as 1880 that Blacks could not be excluded outright from jury service, nearly a century of case-by-case adjudication has been necessary to develop and enforce the principle that all juries must be drawn from "a fair cross section of the community."

(A) has been necessary to develop and enforce the principle that all juries must be
(B) was necessary for developing and enforcing the principle of all juries being
(C) was to be necessary in developing and enforcing the principle of all juries to be
(E) will be necessary for developing and enforcing the principle of all juries being

??

Although the Supreme Court ruled as long ago as 1880 that Blacks could not be excluded outright from jury service, nearly a century of case-by-case adjudication has been necessary to develop and enforce the principle that all juries must be drawn from a fair cross section of the community.

??

mvikred Says
My answers in BLUE !!!

Hi mvikred,

Answers:-
167)A
16D
169)C
170)E

Q167)

there are 2 reasons why option A looks better to me
1) correct tense (optionB is in past where as it should be in present perfect)
2) component of/component in , the former seems to be correct .

Please correct me if i am wrong.

Also i would appreciate if you could explain a bit about how you went about Q169 &Q170; ,co'z there is confusion about when to use 'therefore'

165)

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

45135 people follow this discussion.
Upcoming Events