About this discussion

Last updated

Author
Sachin . @Govi

Tags

GMAT Sentence Correction Discussions

The GMAT and Related Discussions section is very fragmented in terms of the information available at one's disposal. There are one of reply threads and several other redundant threads that have masked the more important ones. This is an atte...
Follow this discussion to get notified of latest updates.
Page 487 of 1075   

Even i went wth the answers C and A
But the OAs are E and A respectively.

In case of the first question, the explanation was given as - "hopefully cannot be used". Can someone thrw light on why E is correct and why not C?

Need explanations pls...

The modernization program for the steel mill will cost approximately 51 million dollars, which it is hoped can be completed in the late 1980's.

A) The modernization program for the steel mill will cost approximately 51 million dollars, which it is hoped can be completed in the late 1980's.
B) Modernizing the steel mill, hopefully to be completed in the late 1980's, will cost approximately 51 million dollars.
C) The modernization program for the steel mill, hopefully completed in the late 1980's, will cost approximately 51 million dollars.
D) The program for modernizing the steel mill, which can, it is hoped, be completed in the late 1980's and cost approximately 51 million dollars.
E) Modernizing the steel mill, a program that can, it is hoped, be completed in the late 1980's, will cost approximately 51 million dollars.

In the late seventh century, in a dispute over whether the Prophet Muhammad's son-in-law, Ali, should carry on as the fourth caliph, Muhammad's successor, Islam split into two branches, the Sunnis and the Shiites.
A) over whether the Prophet Muhammad's son-in-law, Ali, should carry on as the fourth caliph, Muhammad's successor
B) over whether Ali, the Prophet Muhammad's son-in-law, was going to carry on and be the fourth caliph, Muhammad's successor
C) concerning if the fourth caliph, Muhammad's successor, was to be the Prophet Muhammad's son-in-law, Ali
D) as to whether the fourth caliph, Muhammad's successor, is to be the Prophet Muhammad's son-in-low, Ali
E) over if Ali, the Prophet Muhammad's son-in-law, was going to carry on and be the fourth caliph, Muhammad's successor
Thanks for the quick reply Neha, it made it much clear.

however,
doesn't would change the meaning of sentence slightly? how do we know that Tecumsch did not intend to confirm that Y WILL happen?
it might be true that Tecumsch intends to confirm that Y will happen, in that case "will be" should be the correct option

on second thought, I noticed that first part of sentence is in past tense (Tecumsch urged A,B to resist C...) and hence "will be" is inappropriate.

Is "would" preferred for past tense?

Well, the sentence said Tecumsch said to NA, resist a particular action and then a result would follow. That means, until and unless the 1st action of resistance happens, the second will not happen, the second action (of ownership) depends on the resistance action. The ownership action hasn't happened yet. it's a hypthetical stiuation, that means it is a promised but uncertain future event. that's why would is preferred to will.

Yes, would is preferred for past tense.
to explain this i'll give you an example.

The CEO stated that company's profits declined much less during recession than analysts had expected it to and its business will improve in the next quarter.

A) had expected it to and its business will improve.
B) had expected and that its business would improve
C) expected it would and that it will improve its business
D) epected them to and its business would improve
E) expected and that it will have improved its business

Explaination-
B, the best choice, avoids errors of agreement, correctly uses the parallel construction that x and that y, and uses would rather than will to refer to a promised but uncertain future event.(like in the above exapmple)
In A and C singular it after expected has no grammatical referent; its antecedent cannot be The company, but rather must be the plural profits. Choices A and C also contain errors of verb form, using will where would ir required. choices A and D fail to mantain the parallel structure: properly formed, the construction would have that after expected to parallel that after announced. Furthermore, in D, the addiction of them to is unnecessary. choice E illogically uses the future perfect will have improved to suggest completion of an action that will be continuous in the second half of the year.

Hope this clears your doubt.
If anything, is still unlcear ple do ask. glad to help out.

Regards,
Neha
  • 1 Like  
Need explanations pls...

The modernization program for the steel mill will cost approximately 51 million dollars, which it is hoped can be completed in the late 1980's.

A) The modernization program for the steel mill will cost approximately 51 million dollars, which it is hoped can be completed in the late 1980's.
B) Modernizing the steel mill, hopefully to be completed in the late 1980's, will cost approximately 51 million dollars.
C) The modernization program for the steel mill, hopefully completed in the late 1980's, will cost approximately 51 million dollars.
D) The program for modernizing the steel mill, which can, it is hoped, be completed in the late 1980's and cost approximately 51 million dollars.
E) Modernizing the steel mill, a program that can, it is hoped, be completed in the late 1980's, will cost approximately 51 million dollars.

In the late seventh century, in a dispute over whether the Prophet Muhammad's son-in-law, Ali, should carry on as the fourth caliph, Muhammad's successor, Islam split into two branches, the Sunnis and the Shiites.
A) over whether the Prophet Muhammad's son-in-law, Ali, should carry on as the fourth caliph, Muhammad's successor
B) over whether Ali, the Prophet Muhammad's son-in-law, was going to carry on and be the fourth caliph, Muhammad's successor
C) concerning if the fourth caliph, Muhammad's successor, was to be the Prophet Muhammad's son-in-law, Ali
D) as to whether the fourth caliph, Muhammad's successor, is to be the Prophet Muhammad's son-in-low, Ali
E) over if Ali, the Prophet Muhammad's son-in-law, was going to carry on and be the fourth caliph, Muhammad's successor

My take :

1. C
2. A
Need explanations pls...

Q1:
My take - C
Reason: In (A) - ",which it is hoped..." modifies "51 million dollars" instead of "Modernization program"
(D),(E) are awkward
(B) - "hopefully to be completed" modifies "steel mill" instead of "modernization program" (as if steel mill is to be completed in late 1980's)
(C) - "The Modernization program for steel mill, ... , will
cost 51 million", in this case "hopefully to be" modifies "modernization program"

Q2:
My take - A
Reason:
(B) - "was going to" is incorrect.
(C)&(E) - "Whether" is always preferred to "if" so C & E are out.
(D) - "Dispute as to" is incorrect
hence, (A).

...waiting for official answers

Thanks Yogesh. That clears it. So if either or neither is used in a sentence without or/nor, the verb no matter what takes singular form.

I just saw this note from Manhattan.

Quoting directly...
"Note that when the words either or neither are in a sentence alone (without or/nor), they are not considered to be part of a disjunctive phrase. In these cases, they are considered singular and take only singular verbs."

I could not think of a either/neither usage without or/nor.

Hi Trapezio,

sorry for my earlier reply... Here are the examples I found:

Either of the GMAT courses IS good for you. (not 'are').

Similarly,

Neither of the medicines WAS of any help to me. (not WERE).
  • 1 Like  
Need explanations pls...

Are the answers both B?

I just saw this note from Manhattan.

Quoting directly...
"Note that when the words either or neither are in a sentence alone (without or/nor), they are not considered to be part of a disjunctive phrase. In these cases, they are considered singular and take only singular verbs."

I could not think of a either/neither usage without or/nor.

Need explanations pls...

I have a doubt friends...

If you use either or neither in a sentence alone (without or/nor) the sentence takes singular verb.

Where do we use 'either'/'neither' without or/nor?

Is this correct? What if the subject itself is plural. Then shouldn't the verb become plural as well.

Sorry if its a simple question. My hold on English grammar is a little less than normal! :banghead:

Edited (reason - earlier reply was not correct):

Examples:
1. Either of the GMAT courses IS good for you. (not 'are').

Similarly,

2. Neither of the medicines WAS of any help to me. (not WERE).

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

13823 people follow this discussion.