About this discussion

Last updated

Author
Sachin . @Govi

Tags

GMAT Sentence Correction Discussions

The GMAT and Related Discussions section is very fragmented in terms of the information available at one's disposal. There are one of reply threads and several other redundant threads that have masked the more important ones. This is an atte...
Follow this discussion to get notified of latest updates.
Page 487 of 1056   

i think the OA is wrong.Answer should be D.

A majority of railway commuters reads or listening to music while traveling.
  1. reads or listening
  2. read or listening
  3. read or listens
  4. read or listen
  5. reads or listens
The Manhattan GMAT SC says : The majority of students in the class are hard workers.
What is the answer and why ?

IMO D...The subject is plural here

OA is E.
Thanks for your reply

1. reads or listening
  2. read or listening
  3. read or listens
  4. read or listen
  5. reads or listens

The Manhattan GMAT SC says : The majority of students in the class are hard workers.

Hi alpha123,

The general rule is "The majority of" is always a plural whereas "A majority of" is always singular.

Also, the above sentence obviously has a parallelism issue between "reads" and "listening".

IMO: "E"

What is the OA?
  • 3 Likes  
Waiting for comments on the above....

Is the above sentence gramatically flawed ?

I think a more appropriate sentencec construction would be:

Gallileo's theory, that earth and other planets in our solar system revolve around the sun, reinforces Copernicus's theory.

Comments welcome...

1. reads or listening
  2. read or listening
  3. read or listens
  4. read or listen
  5. reads or listens

Whats wrong with the below sentence...

Galileo's theory that Earth and other planets revolve around the sun in our solar system reinforces that of Copernicus.

Waiting for comments on the above....

Is the above sentence gramatically flawed ?
xpect@ton hurts Says
hii...could u explore a bit more the difference between which and that??nd esp the bold lines..

What I meant was:
If we try to remove the fragment after 'which' in the sentence, the main information/description related to the noun (Animal shield) - that it protects the warriors - will be removed, leaving the other half of the statement kind of misleading.

So, by definition (as Manhattan SC states), "A modifier introduced by 'which' can be removed from the sentence without the sentence losing any essential meaning. Whereas, a modifier introduced by 'that' is essential to the meaning of the sentence."

Cheers.
Ankit.
  • 1 Like  

@ xpect@ton hurts..

Gimme ur e-mail id.. i'll send it thru e-mail... its 1.5 mb .doc file....

xpect@ton hurts Says
hi...where can i get 1000 SC from??ne link or ne book??

@ grtembey..
I have not used this link till now.. But it seems it has OA's and explainations to all SC 1000..
1000SC: Qn: 1

Thanks Ankit. I agree, the modifier here should be "that" and not "which".

@all
Does anyone have OA's for 1000SC? Without OA's it becomes kinda difficult to verify your answers.

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

5663 people follow this discussion.