About this discussion

Last updated

Author
Sachin . @Govi

Tags

GMAT Sentence Correction Discussions

The GMAT and Related Discussions section is very fragmented in terms of the information available at one's disposal. There are one of reply threads and several other redundant threads that have masked the more important ones. This is an atte...
Follow this discussion to get notified of latest updates.
Page 487 of 1099   
OA's
1)B(A,B,C all looks good to me,Please Note:- Both "as a result of and resulting from" are correct usage)
2)B
3)E( but i feel it should be D)

I cross-checked the answers with other site. a whole thread is for the discussion for this ques only. esp b/w choices D and E. you can check that too.here's the link:

SC-Wages : Verbal GMAT Questions

And can you give the explanation for sentence 1?

Regards,
Neha

Hi All,

Try these!!!

Cost/costs? and why?

While large banks can afford to maintain their own data-processing operations, many smaller regional and community banks are finding that the cost associated with upgrading data-processing equipment and with the development and maintenance of new products and technical staff are prohibitive.

A cost associated with
B costs associated with
C costs arising from
D cost of
E costs of

The rising of costs of data-processing operations at many financial institutions has created a growing opportunity for independent companies to provide these services more efficiently and at lower cost.
(A) The rising of costs
(B) Rising costs
(C) The rising cost
(D) Because the rising cost
(E) Because of rising costs

My answers are in Blue and the errors in the sentences in Red.
Hope that helps.
Regards,
Neha

OA's
1)B(A,B,C all looks good to me,Please Note:- Both "as a result of and resulting from" are correct usage)
2)B
3)E( but i feel it should be D)
Hello,

I obtained 42 in Verbal with overall score of 750. I can share my "Self-prepared study notes" on Verbal and Quant to serious GMAT aspirants. Interested may please mail .

Ashok,

Ple edit your post.and remove your email id.
it's against the PG rules to post your email id/nos.
if you want to tell your email id/nos to somebody then ple PM to him/her.

Regards,
Neha

Hello,

I obtained 42 in Verbal with overall score of 750. I can share my "Self-prepared study notes" on Verbal and Quant to serious GMAT aspirants.

Contrary to earlier conjectures, it may be that increased atmospheric carbon dioxide as a result of burning fossil fuels would cool the globe by reducing the amount of solar energy absorbed by snow.

A. increased atmospheric carbon dioxide as a result of burning

B. increased atmospheric carbon dioxide resulting from the combustion of

C. increasing carbon dioxide in the atmosphere resulting from the combustion of

D. carbon dioxide in the atmosphere that increase from burning

E. atmospheric carbon dioxide that increased from burning

Correct Idiom is- As a result of that is why answer is A.

Contrary to popular belief, victors in the ancient Greek Olympic Games received cash prizes in addition to their laurel wreaths.

A. Contrary to

B. In contrast with

C. Opposite of

D. Unlike

E. In spite of

Correct idiom is Contrary To.
that is why answer is A.

Confusion b/w D and E(below)

Discrimination in wages paid in occupations that are predominantly male over the predominantly female have given rise to substantial differentials between the wage of housepainters and secretaries and between the wages of parking-lot attendants and library assistants.
A. paid in occupations that are predominantly male over the predominantly female have
B. paid in occupations that are predominantly make over those that are predominantly female have
C. that favors predominantly male occupations over the predominantly female have
D. that favors predominantly male occupations over those that are predominantly female has
E. paid in predominantly male occupations over the predominantly female has
E changes the meaning, it says- Discrimination (in wages) paid! now how can discrimination be paid??
this is why choices A,B and E are eliminated.
C has two errors: subject-verb agreement and Parallel consturction.
C compares the discrimantion in wages of male occupations with female!
and with the word "discrimination" we need verb-has and have.
all of these errors are corrected by D.

My answers are in Blue and the errors in the sentences in Red.
Hope that helps.
Regards,
Neha
Hi Everybody,

Confusion!!!

Contrary to earlier conjectures, it may be that increased atmospheric carbon dioxide as a result of burning fossil fuels would cool the globe by reducing the amount of solar energy absorbed by snow.
Contrary to popular belief, victors in the ancient Greek Olympic Games received cash prizes in addition to their laurel wreaths.
A. Contrary to
B. In contrast with
C. Opposite of
D. Unlike
E. In spite of

My answers in RED

Let me try to explain

Question #1 : This clearly tests the logic of the sentence. The first 2 options say that increased carbon di oxide .. .that means a certain amount of increased carbon di oxide would be reducing(a continuing action) .. which doesnt make sense.

Option D and E, use that way too much making it confusing and unclear .

Out of all the options C seems to be the best option, and logically sound.

Question #2 : This phrase is commonly used. Contrary to one's belief ... bla bla bla ... so it is right as it is. Option A . even if u try and plug in the remaining options, none sounds right.

Cheers !!

Hi Everybody,

Confusion!!!

A. Contrary to
B. In contrast with
C. Opposite of
D. Unlike
E. In spite of

Confusion b/w D and E(below)

Discrimination in wages paid in occupations that are predominantly male over the predominantly female have given rise to substantial differentials between the wage of housepainters and secretaries and between the wages of parking-lot attendants and library assistants.
A. paid in occupations that are predominantly male over the predominantly female have
B. paid in occupations that are predominantly make over those that are predominantly female have
C. that favors predominantly male occupations over the predominantly female have
D. that favors predominantly male occupations over those that are predominantly female has
E. paid in predominantly male occupations over the predominantly female has

I was a little doubtful about 167 ... and now that I read it again, A seems a better answer than B.

B is also wrong because of incorrect usage of so that ... it should always present itself in the form so X that Y, and not as a replacement for 'as to'

I am not sure where, but I did read a rule stating this fact, please correct me if I am wrong, my memory fails me more often than I'd like to believe.

Cheers

Let me try my best to explain how I chose those answers....

Hope that helps you, and if anyone else reading this finds any of the things mentioned above wrong, please correct me. I don't want to be answering with an illusion of correct theory.

Cheers !!

Dude, you are absolutely right in both the above posts. no ambiguity in that.

Hi mvikred,

Also i would appreciate if you could explain a bit about how you went about Q169 &Q170; ,co'z there is confusion about when to use 'therefore'

One more thing in addition to mvkried post:
Therefore is always used to conlcude something.

So when you come across with 'therefore' check whether something is being concluded or not. then you'll get to know where 'therefore' is relevant and where not.

Regards,
Neha
Hi mvikred,

Also i would appreciate if you could explain a bit about how you went about Q169 &Q170; ,co'z there is confusion about when to use 'therefore'

Let me try my best to explain how I chose those answers

Question:169
Because the enemys new ship is the quietest and it is therefore the most elusive submarine, it is being increasingly viewed by the military as a threat to security.

A. and it is therefore the most elusive submarine, it is being increasingly viewed

B. it is therefore the most elusive of submarines, and it has increased the view

C. and therefore the most elusive submarine, it is being increasingly viewed

D. and therefore it is the most elusive of submarines, there is an increasing view

E. therefore being the most elusive of submarines, it is increasingly viewed
option A, B, D because of unclear usage of pronoun it .. 'it' might refer to enemy or the ship .... I eliminated E due to the presence of 'being' 95 out of 100 times whenever an option has 'being' it is incorrect in GMAT.

and that leaves us with C, and when you cross check, it makes the most sense, and maintains brevity at the same time. 'it' in sentence clearly refers to submarine and the ship, so there is no confusion in the sentence, therefore my pick ... option C

Question:170
Because the financial review covered only the last few fiscal years, and therefore the investigators were unable to determine the extent to possible earlier overpayments.

A. and therefore the investigators were unable to determine the extent to possible

B. so therefore the investigators were not capable of determining the possible extent of

C. therefore the investigators were unable to determine the possible extent of

D. the investigators were not capable of determining the possible extent of

E. the investigators were unable to determine the extent of possible
here the question is of modifiers. the first string mentioned in the sentence is basically describing an action by the investigators. the best way is to keep the noun/subject closest to the modifier.
A, B, C don't do that, D and E do that

Between D and E, D has unnecessary usage of words 'not capable', when unable could be used, and E maintains the simplicity and if you observe the brevity is maintained. Therefore I chose E

Hope that helps you, and if anyone else reading this finds any of the things mentioned above wrong, please correct me. I don't want to be answering with an illusion of correct theory.

Cheers !!

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

50561 people follow this discussion.
Upcoming Events