About this discussion

Last updated

Author
Sachin . @Govi

Tags

GMAT Sentence Correction Discussions

The GMAT and Related Discussions section is very fragmented in terms of the information available at one's disposal. There are one of reply threads and several other redundant threads that have masked the more important ones. This is an atte...
Follow this discussion to get notified of latest updates.
Page 26 of 713   
@sayanddude said:
My take- option E
E is correct but why not A
@Shireesh2331 said:

One More :

A group of workers in the computer industry, one who is a famous programmer, will be attending the 2010 Computing Convention in New York.

a) one who

b) one of which

c) one of whom

d) one of them who

e) one of them who

My take:- option C
IIM A | KDT 09| BDT 11 | SBT 11
IFMR Admission Open for 2015

2 new specializations BFSI & Business Analytics

100% Placement since inception in 2000

World – class infrastructure

Faculty with international experience

IFMR PGDM 2015-17 (AICTE approved)

Last date - January 31st, 2015

Know More

Chase your dream with a management course that is right for you.

“Among the top 20 B-schools “- CNBC TV 18

“Among the top 10 in finance” – Star News

Download
@Shireesh2331 said:

A 2007 agreement between the nations of the world reduced the amount of carbon that national manufacturing plants had been allowed to produce and release into the atmosphere.

a) reduced the amount of carbon that national manufacturing plants had been allowed to produce and release

b) reduces the amount of carbon allowed for producing and releasing by national manufacturing plants

c) reduced the carbon amount that national manufacturing plants had been producing and releasing

d) reduces the carbon amount national manufacturing plants have been allowed to produce and release

e) reduced the amount of carbon that national manufacturing plants are allowed to produce adn release

My take- option E
IIM A | KDT 09| BDT 11 | SBT 11

@[388912:EducationAisle]

Actualy to make your example similar to the one in the given sentence, I will extrapolate it..

While Sachin has scored many centuries, he is yet to score one in Bahamas, that will make THEIR total count 100.

Count of not Bahamas, obviously, but his centuries. But nothing stops us from thinking that Sachin's divine century will make the count of Bahamas islands a perfect 100.

That is why ONE is ambigous in the Qn and in example above and to resolve the ambiguity we should use specific word which will relate to centuries/rhinos and not to Bahamas/tourists in the sentence.

I learned that during prepping for GMAT we have to transcend ourselves to GMAT world, which is tad different from real world but at the same time highly logical, something which makes life easier in GMAT world.

On second note I totally agree with you that GMAT never tests us on rote learning.

@Shireesh2331 said:

What should be the correct answer for the below.

More and more these days people are eating vegetables as a means to a better diet and exercising regularly, because being healthy is important.

a) of a better dieting and exercise

b) to better their dieting and exercising

c) of a better diet and exercise

d) to a better diet and exercising

to a better diet and exercising ( is the correct option)
parallelism and meaning...

One More :

A group of workers in the computer industry, one who is a famous programmer, will be attending the 2010 Computing Convention in New York.

a) one who

b) one of which

c) one of whom

d) one of them who

e) one of them who

A 2007 agreement between the nations of the world reduced the amount of carbon that national manufacturing plants had been allowed to produce and release into the atmosphere.

a) reduced the amount of carbon that national manufacturing plants had been allowed to produce and release

b) reduces the amount of carbon allowed for producing and releasing by national manufacturing plants

c) reduced the carbon amount that national manufacturing plants had been producing and releasing

d) reduces the carbon amount national manufacturing plants have been allowed to produce and release

e) reduced the amount of carbon that national manufacturing plants are allowed to produce adn release

What should be the correct answer for the below.

More and more these days people are eating vegetables as a means to a better diet and exercising regularly, because being healthy is important.

a) of a better dieting and exercise

b) to better their dieting and exercising

c) of a better diet and exercise

d) to a better diet and exercising

@Psychamour said:

@prasadkhadpe

choice (B), we are talking about rhionS and not a single rhino so here the part of sentence "... to see one once their horns are..." kills this choice.

While this might be true for this question, there are instances when this is an acceptable usage. For example:

While Sachin has scored many centuries, he is yet to score one in Bahamas.

This is a correct usage (though not perhaps very "GMAT like" sentence), and should not be disregarded because of any mismatch between "one" (singular) and "centuries" (plural).

By the way, this is an OG12 #75 and OE for B says: One is ambiguous.

Thanks,
Ashish.
GMAT Faculty @ http://www.EducationAisle.com ; GMAT - 99th Percentile, MBA - ISB
@Psychamour said:

@EducationAisle

I second you Edu. I have come across many sources that include 'advise' in the list of bossy verbs.

But like you said, GMAT never gives any Qn over which disputes can arise. This is one of the reasons, I love this exam. Everything is crystal clear, unlike our home brewed CAT.

Let me know what is your take on this.

An instructor's perspective is always worthy.

More than "dispute" being the issue, GMAT, by its very nature, is highly unlikely to test you on something that just depends on your capacity for rote learning, in this case, a list of verbs that take Subjunctive vis-a-vis those which do not.

The exam always intends to test your understanding and not memorization.

Thanks,
Ashish.
GMAT Faculty @ http://www.EducationAisle.com ; GMAT - 99th Percentile, MBA - ISB

I do not think that we should go in such details about subjunctive ... any bossy words..(and i mean bossy ) would take "that".. and you would not be tested only on "that" there will be few more errors.. so don't u worry.. :)

and pscharmor.. i do agree that the sentence( on rhino) was not testing tenses.. but i still believe that the question was a valid one.. u can not use present tense here... that is my take... any example using the same would be helpful

OA C

U can not use "if" here so cancel out D and E
u went to a park "to" see rhino( here the purpose of going to the park was to see rhino)
u went to the park and saw( here your purpose was not see to rhino, u just saw it)
hence cancel out A
use of "their" is ambiguous.. hence cancel out B
here the tense "have been" (present perfect) is correct because

We often use the Present Perfect to say that an action which we expected has not happened. Using the Present Perfect suggests that we are still waiting for the action to happen.

hope u got it.. :)

Anybody having Barron's GMAT book pdf file....

plzzzzzzz share it....!!!!

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

2656 people follow this discussion.