About this discussion

Last updated

Author
Sachin . @Govi

Tags

GMAT Sentence Correction Discussions

The GMAT and Related Discussions section is very fragmented in terms of the information available at one's disposal. There are one of reply threads and several other redundant threads that have masked the more important ones. This is an atte...
Follow this discussion to get notified of latest updates.
Page 26 of 711   

The subjunctive case ('were') is used to express a degree of uncertainty or unreality.

• 1 Like  
GMAT 770. $60K scholarship from Goizueta in R3. A Debrief: http://www.pagalguy.com/forums/gmat-accepting-schools/admits-3-top-20-schools-with-scholarships-round-3-debrief-t-83776/p-3594001?a=d6672f9433e74ecb82e6decaaadfc583
@prasadkhadpe said: @vaibhavwadhera my ans E and D. OA please.

@Psychamour said: @vaibhavwadhera Ctrl+U is universal shortcut for Underlining.for this Qn follow the same strategy, look for IF so it will take WERE, option (c) and (d) remains, rest all gone.We are talking about adolescence here which is Singular so the word will take an IT. Option (c) struck off . Option (d) is the correct answer. Is it correct?
@Psychamour said: @vaibhavwadhera My take : will snap easily, as though it were a twig.'Is it correct? The thing here to look for is that 'as though', 'as if', 'if' kind of words always take WERE. These words are called Hypothetical Subjunctive.Nothing official about these words, just to keep in mind that they introduce a hypothetical situation which is not true in reality but suppose it becomes true then.....Like for example, If I were Roger Federer.... I collapsed as if I were a building. Hope this helps.Cheers !
OA are E and D. I just read some where that for the Wishful thinking we use were.

Thanks both of you for your inputs
LIVE CHAT with ex- Convenor and Dean MISB Bocconi

Ask all about Post-CAT results in a LIVE CHAT on 

28th December 2014 at 8.00pm with  Dr. Himanshu Rai, CAT 2010 Convenor and Dean MISB Bocconi.‚Äč

Participate Now

-Full time post graduate program in business

-Faculty from SDA Bocconi, Italy 

-Dual Campus Mumbai and Milan

-2014 Avg. CTC 10 Lakh p.a

- Merit Based Tuition Fee Waiver 

Download Placement Stats

@[469615:KunalDubey]

please post more questions...

@[198102:vaibhavwadhera]

@vaibhavwadhera said: Rust can deteriorate a steel pipe to such an extent that it will snap easily, as though it was a twig. a.) will snap easily, as though it was a twig. b.) will snap easily, like a twig doesc.) will snap easily, as though it is a twig. a.) might snap easily, as though it was a twig. a.) will snap easily, as though it were a twig.
@vaibhavwadhera said: A Recent and popular self -help book wryly notes that if adolescence was not so painful, it would have a droll comedic aspect, at least in retrospect. a.) was not so painful, itb.) was not so painful, they c.) were not so painful, they d.) were not so painful, it e.) was not so painful, being one I am not sure how i can underline the sentence in the question. if some knows let me know please.
my ans E and D.

OA please.

@[198102:vaibhavwadhera] Ctrl+U is universal shortcut for Underlining.

for this Qn follow the same strategy, look for IF so it will take WERE, option (c) and (d) remains, rest all gone.
We are talking about adolescence here which is Singular so the word will take an IT. Option (c) struck off . Option (d) is the correct answer.

Is it correct?
  • 1 Like  

@[198102:vaibhavwadhera] My take : will snap easily, as though it were a twig.'

Is it correct?

The thing here to look for is that 'as though', 'as if', 'if' kind of words always take WERE. These words are called Hypothetical Subjunctive.
Nothing official about these words, just to keep in mind that they introduce a hypothetical situation which is not true in reality but suppose it becomes true then.....
Like for example, If I were Roger Federer....
I collapsed as if I were a building.

Hope this helps.
Cheers !
  • 1 Like  

A Recent and popular self -help book wryly notes that if adolescence was not so painful, it would have a droll comedic aspect, at least in retrospect.

a.) was not so painful, it
b.) was not so painful, they
c.) were not so painful, they
d.) were not so painful, it
e.) was not so painful, being one

I am not sure how i can underline the sentence in the question. if some knows let me know please.

Rust can deteriorate a steel pipe to such an extent that it will snap easily, as though it was a twig.

a.) will snap easily, as though it was a twig.
b.) will snap easily, like a twig does
c.) will snap easily, as though it is a twig.
a.) might snap easily, as though it was a twig.
a.) will snap easily, as though it were a twig.

@[589306:KapTeacherEli], @[388912:EducationAisle] thanks for the explanation...

Can someone send me the book as well?

My email id is tanwani.shreshth@gmail.com

Thanks

@[584941:MoralFiber] Perhaps you interpreted it to mean that places can only be referred to by where. That is not true. For example, following is a correct statement:

India, whose cultures and traditions are very rich, is now a modern country.

In the above sentence, India, a place, is being modified by whose.
  • 1 Like  
GMAT Faculty @ http://www.EducationAisle.com ; GMAT - 99th Percentile, MBA - ISB

@[524706:prasad.khadpe] thanks a ton!

@MoralFiber said: As per SC Grail, 'where' will always refer to a specific location on GMAT. Based on this, the below mentioned examples were given: Correct: The town where I was born is known for its fishermen. Incorrect: The Company where I work has gone bankrupt. Can anyone explain, why is the 2nd sentence incorrect while the 1st one is correct?
As the SC grail states, "where" refers only to a literal, physical location. You may think of the office building your company is located in as a place, but the company is really an organization of employees; it doesn't necessarily have a location.

The correct version of the second sentence is "the company that I work at has gone bankrupt" or "the company at which I work has gone bankrupt."
  • 2 Likes  

As per SC Grail, 'where' will always refer to a specific location on GMAT. Based on this, the below mentioned examples were given:

Correct: The town where I was born is known for its fishermen.
Incorrect: The Company where I work has gone bankrupt.

Can anyone explain, why is the 2nd sentence incorrect while the 1st one is correct?

Whoa there!! Please note that sharing of copyright material is against forum-rules.

• 1 Like  

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

2433 people follow this discussion.