About this discussion

Last updated

Author
Sachin . @Govi

Tags

GMAT Sentence Correction Discussions

The GMAT and Related Discussions section is very fragmented in terms of the information available at one's disposal. There are one of reply threads and several other redundant threads that have masked the more important ones. This is an atte...
Follow this discussion to get notified of latest updates.
Page 251 of 1099   
A controversial figure throughout most of his public life, the Black leader Marcus Garvey advocated that some Blacks return to Africa, the land that, to him, symbolized the possibility of freedom.
(A) that some Blacks return to Africa, the land that, to him, symbolized the possibility of freedom
(B) that some Blacks return to the African land symbolizing the possibility of freedom to him
(C) that some Blacks return to Africa which was the land which symbolized the possibility of freedom to him
(D) some Black's returning to Africa which was the land that to him symbolized the possibility of freedom
(E) some Black's return to the land symbolizing the possibility of freedom to him, Africa
my take is in bold!!
A controversial figure throughout most of his public life, the Black leader Marcus Garvey advocated that some Blacks return to Africa, the land that, to him, symbolized the possibility of freedom.
(A) that some Blacks return to Africa, the land that, to him, symbolized the possibility of freedom
(B) that some Blacks return to the African land symbolizing the possibility of freedom to him
(C) that some Blacks return to Africa which was the land which symbolized the possibility of freedom to him
(D) some Blacks returning to Africa which was the land that to him symbolized the possibility of freedom
(E) some Blacks return to the land symbolizing the possibility of freedom to him, Africa

A question from one of the sites...plz post ur explanations as well...

Cheers,
GP

IMO A

In C and D, "Africa which was the land " bla bla bla is confusing and awkward...
In B and E, "symbolizing the possibility of freedom to him" means that the blacks return symbolize the possibility of Marcus Garvey's freedom not the freedom of africa...SO Both these choices distorts the meaning..

Hence A wats the OA???

(D) some Blacks returning to Africa which was the land that to him symbolized the possibility of freedom
(E) some Blacks return to the land symbolizing the possibility of freedom to him, Africa

A question from one of the sites...plz post ur explanations as well...

Cheers,
GP

a. One should be responsible for one's own actions

or

One should be responsible for his own actions

I am a bit confused here. I have searched the internet and have found that both are acceptable in American and British English, though one's is more formal. But what does GMAT say?

b. Which is correct and why?

We resolved the issue among ourselves

or

We resolved the issue among us?

Well for the first one i think the acceptable answer should be One should be responsible for one's own actions because it elminates gender issues. The 2nd option can be better written as One should be responsible for his/her own actions. the first option eliminates this ambiguity.

For the 2nd question both the sentences can have different meaning in diff contexts. Also i think both are correct and the usage will depend upon the context.
If the new department store would open by Thanksgiving, it will be attracting many holiday shoppers.
would open by Thanksgiving, it will be attracting
would be opened by Thanksgiving, it would be able to attract
was opening by Thanksgiving, it would be able to attract
was to open by Thanksgiving, it also will attract
opens before Thanksgiving, it will attract

"opens before Thanksgiving, it will attract"
...correct answer i think...

a. One should be responsible for one's own actions

or

One should be responsible for his own actions

I am a bit confused here. I have searched the internet and have found that both are acceptable in American and British English, though one's is more formal. But what does GMAT say?

b. Which is correct and why?

We resolved the issue among ourselves

or

We resolved the issue among us?

Originally Posted by casmba View Post
Because there are provisions of the new maritime code that provide that even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fields of large sea areas, they have already stimulated international disputes over uninhabited islands.
(A) Because there are provisions of the new maritime code that provide that even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fields of large sea areas, they have already stimulated
(B) Because the new maritime code provides that even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fields of large sea areas, it has already stimulated
(C) Even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fields of large sea areas under provisions of the new maritime code, already stimulating
(D) Because even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fields of large sea areas under provisions of the new maritime code, this has already stimulated
(E) Because even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fields of large sea areas under provisions of the new maritime code,which is already stimulating

my take is in bold!!

Can you please explain the justification for E? There isn't any main clause in E.
It took me some time to understand what the explanation is pointing out...and finally i agree to the explanation...see...its a meaning base thing...the designing is done for what...?? what is the purpose to design clipper ship...??? the clipper ship was designed so that merchants can carry large goods slowly...now before explaining u further i want to admit my mistake in my previous explanation...i said ask a question from Determining...WHO Determining...here u are getting the answer is WAY...now the point is...the question says the way for the merchant is to move a limited amount of
scarce goods....now just try to understand...that this way doesn't led to the design of ship...while author wanna say that move in small quantities is not a good thing and merchants are forced to do this...so to overcome this situation designing of ship was done...In sum designing is incorrectly modifyin the way...and THE WAY was not something because of which the designing was done...hope this helps

finally got it! :-D

read ur exp n re-read the statement... this time it jumped out :-)

thanks a lot!
Hi Atul,

thanks for the reply... actually i got the parallelism part... heres what the solution has to say...

"The connector rather than should
jump out at you right away. In the phrase to
move . . . rather than to carry, to move and to
carry need to be kept in parallel form. That narrows
the possibilities to (A) or (B). Think about what the
sentence is saying. In (A), the way for a merchant to
generate profit isnt determining the design of the
clipper ship
. The way for a merchant to generate profit
is a situation determining the design of the clipper
ship. (E) is too wordy."

no matter howmany times i repeated the statement in my head... i couldn't get the meaning mentioned in bold-font from it...

It took me some time to understand what the explanation is pointing out...and finally i agree to the explanation...see...its a meaning base thing...the designing is done for what...?? what is the purpose to design clipper ship...??? the clipper ship was designed so that merchants can carry large goods slowly...now before explaining u further i want to admit my mistake in my previous explanation...i said ask a question from Determining...WHO Determining...here u are getting the answer is WAY...now the point is...the question says the way for the merchant is to move a limited amount of
scarce goods....now just try to understand...that this way doesn't led to the design of ship...while author wanna say that move in small quantities is not a good thing and merchants are forced to do this...so to overcome this situation designing of ship was done...In sum designing is incorrectly modifyin the way...and THE WAY was not something because of which the designing was done...hope this helps
  • 1 Like  
If the new department store would open by Thanksgiving, it will be attracting many holiday shoppers.
- would open by Thanksgiving, it will be attracting
- would be opened by Thanksgiving, it would be able to attract
- was opening by Thanksgiving, it would be able to attract
- was to open by Thanksgiving, it also will attract
- opens before Thanksgiving, it will attract

I am assuming that the underlined part is "would open by Thanksgiving, it will be attracting"

IMO - E

the sentence thus reads: "If the new department store opens before Thanksgiving, it will attract many holiday shoppers."

others all have a mismatch in the tenses...

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

50353 people follow this discussion.