About this discussion

Last updated

Author
Sachin . @Govi

Tags

GMAT Sentence Correction Discussions

The GMAT and Related Discussions section is very fragmented in terms of the information available at one's disposal. There are one of reply threads and several other redundant threads that have masked the more important ones. This is an atte...
Follow this discussion to get notified of latest updates.
Page 251 of 711   

Hi All

I am working on a project with a top US school to find out the preferences of prospective students. I would greatly appreciate if you can take out 10 mins from your schedule to carefully go through the 16 choices in the survey and assign points based on your preference.

Please click the link below to start the survey:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/KZR3HBD

The chairman of the board of directors have decided that this year's profits will be used for research and development ,rather than for a shareholder dividend.

A)has decided that this year's profits will be used
B)had decided on using this year's profits
IMT Open Admissions for 2015

Kellogg India, L'Oreal India, Thomas Cook, Citibank etc. among the top recruiters.

Informed Decisions today leads to Promised Future tomorrow.

Take Your Call Now

Know More About Us!

Download Now

The chairman of the board of directors have decided that this year's profit will be used for research and development,rather than for a shareholder dividend
A)has decided that this year's profits will be used
B)has decided on using this year's profits

Which of the above two options is correct?Really confused!

Thanks a lot

Recent indications of weakness in the economy have led consumers to be more conservative with their purchases; so depressed have sales figures been as a result that the government has launched several initiatives to actively encourage consumer spending .
(a) same as underlined
(b) the sales figures have been so depressed as a result that
(c) as a result, so depressed has the sales been that
(d) the resulting sales figures having been so depressed that
(e) the sales figures have been so depressed that, as a result,

Please post the answer along with the explanation.

IMO B)
in A) usage of article "the sales figures" is necessary
1. It may be another fifteen years before spacecraft from Earth again venture to Mars, a planet now known to be cold, dry, and probably lifeless.
(A) again venture to Mars, a planet now known to be
(B) venture to Mars again, a planet now known for being
(C) will venture to Mars again, a planet now known as being
(D) venture again to Mars, a planet that is known now to be
(E) will again venture to Mars, a planet known now as being

This one is little confusing to me. Which should be given priority, sub-verb agreement or idiom usage. "known to be..." seems to be correct use of idiom in A. but A says "spacecraft venture to mars..." shouldnt it be "spacecraft ventures to mars..." Use of "may..." as a verb rules out option C and E. when there is a possibility, "will" cant be used... that leaves us with A,B,D. out of them A conveys the clear meaning.

please post OA and explanation as well, if possible.
1. It was an increase in reported cases of malaria along the Gulf Coast that in 1921 led the health authorities granting a permit for experimentation with human subjects to the group that later would be called by the name of Unimedco.
(A) authorities granting a permit for experimentation with human subjects to the group that later would be called by the name of
(B) authorities granting a permit for experimentation with human subjects to the group that later to be called by the name of
(C) authorities granting a permit for experimentation using human subjects to the group that later would be called by the name of
(D) authorities to grant a permit for human experimentation to the group later called
(E) authorities to grant a permit for human experimentation to the group that later would be called by the name of

IMO the answer is E. the sentence actually looks like "It was the increase....that led.... to ...." that rules out A,B,C. d is ambiguous calling the increase as Unimedco. The answer should be E, perfectly calls the group as Unimedco.
plz post OA.
This question has been discussed atleast once since I joined this forum a month and half ago. I remember that the OA is (A) for this question although I myself had opted (B). No one had given the OE for this question so I myself tried and found out that use of relative pronoun "whom" is inappropriate in (B)
as it is acted as subject in last phrase and is not properly modifying "farm worker". "whom" generally used as object of the subject in a grammatically correct sentence.
"them" in A clearly modify "farm worker" and is appropriate usage.

Education Aisle consider this yar and help or plz someone post genuine OE

Thanks

Unfortunately, your explanation highlights the immense dis-service that non-authentic GMAT material does to unsuspecting aspirants; aspirants try to force-fit their understanding based on wrong questions/answers provided in spurious material. I have been in your shoes when I was preparing for GMAT, and can empathize.

For your information, both whom and them fall into the same category of pronouns called object pronouns.
GMAT Faculty @ http://www.EducationAisle.com ; GMAT - 99th Percentile, MBA - ISB
1. It was an increase in reported cases of malaria along the Gulf Coast that in 1921 led the health authorities granting a permit for experimentation with human subjects to the group that later would be called by the name of Unimedco.
(A) authorities granting a permit for experimentation with human subjects to the group that later would be called by the name of
(B) authorities granting a permit for experimentation with human subjects to the group that later to be called by the name of
(C) authorities granting a permit for experimentation using human subjects to the group that later would be called by the name of
(D) authorities to grant a permit for human experimentation to the group later called
(E) authorities to grant a permit for human experimentation to the group that later would be called by the name of

IMO E.

A,B and C can be eliminated straight away due to "authorities granting... " error.

Out of D and E. D is ambiguous
1. It may be another fifteen years before spacecraft from Earth again venture to Mars, a planet now known to be cold, dry, and probably lifeless.

IMO A.

"....planet now known to be cold,dry and probably lifeless" is the only correct phrase.

I think its D

Recent indications of weakness in the economy have led consumers to be more conservative with their purchases; so depressed have sales figures been as a result that the government has launched several initiatives to actively encourage consumer spending .
(a) same as underlined
(b) the sales figures have been so depressed as a result that
(c) as a result, so depressed has the sales been that
(d) the resulting sales figures having been so depressed that
(e) the sales figures have been so depressed that, as a result,

Please post the answer along with the explanation.

This question has been discussed atleast once since I joined this forum a month and half ago. I remember that the OA is (A) for this question although I myself had opted (B). No one had given the OE for this question so I myself tried and found out that use of relative pronoun "whom" is inappropriate in (B)
as it is acted as subject in last phrase and is not properly modifying "farm worker". "whom" generally used as object of the subject in a grammatically correct sentence.
"them" in A clearly modify "farm worker" and is appropriate usage.

Education Aisle consider this yar and help or plz someone post genuine OE

Thanks

If OA is A, the OA is wrong. I would also like to know the source of the question in that case.

Also, subsequent to your post, I also did a Google search and found the following links which have comments from two other GMAT experts posted:

Erin on the patchwork of green fields that surround...

Stuart Kovinsky on many of them or many of whom

So, for the reasons I cited in my previous mail (among other reasons cited in the links above), rest assured B is the correct answer.
  • 1 Like  
GMAT Faculty @ http://www.EducationAisle.com ; GMAT - 99th Percentile, MBA - ISB

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

2430 people follow this discussion.