PaGaLGuY's Prepathon

Get access to great test material and prepare with friends! For CAT, IBPS, SSC-CGL and more!

Download for free.
About this discussion

Last updated

Author
Sachin . @Govi

Tags

GMAT Sentence Correction Discussions

The GMAT and Related Discussions section is very fragmented in terms of the information available at one's disposal. There are one of reply threads and several other redundant threads that have masked the more important ones. This is an atte...
Follow this discussion to get notified of latest updates.
Page 251 of 1091   

Legislation in the Canadian province of Ontario requires of both public and private employers that pay be the same for jobs historically held by women as for jobs requiring comparable skill that are usually held by men.

(A) that pay be the same for jobs historically held by women as for jobs requiring comparable skill that are

Use of "the same" seems weird here to me
(B) that pay for jobs historically held by women should be the same as for a job requiring comparable skills

Jobs compared to a job

(C) to pay the same in jobs historically held by women as in jobs of comparable skill that are
most appropiate

(D) to pay the same regardless of whether a job was historically held by women or is one demanding comparable skills
incorrect use of whether

(E) to pay as much for jobs historically held by women as for a job demanding comparable skills

Jobs compared to a job

 In order to evenly and effectively paint a rough surface, it is necessary to sand it and apply primer before applying the paint.
(A) it and apply primer before applying the paint
(B) it and prime it and paint it
(C) it, then prime it, then paint it
(D) the surface and apply primer before you
apply paint to the surface

(E) the surface, apply primer to the surface and then paint it

My Answer is D
 Legislation in the Canadian province of Ontario requires of both public and private employers that pay be the same for jobs historically held by women as for jobs requiring comparable skill that are usually held by men.
(A) that pay be the same for jobs historically held by women as for jobs requiring comparable skill that are
(B) that pay for jobs historically held by women should be the same as for a job requiring comparable skills
(C) to pay the same in jobs historically held by women as in jobs of comparable skill that are
(D) to pay the same regardless of whether a job was historically held by women or is one demanding comparable skills
(E) to pay as much for jobs historically held by women as for a job demanding comparable skills

My Answer is A

Hi All

Can some one please send me MANHATTAN SENTENCE CORRECTION.

Thanks
Vaibhav

 In order to evenly and effectively paint a rough surface, it is necessary to sand it and apply primer before applying the paint.

Ans E

A. pronoun reference error, not sure what "it" refers to.

B. same pronoun ref as A

C. same as A.

D. you has no antecedent.

E. no pronoun issues sounds right.

OA pls??
 Legislation in the Canadian province of Ontario requires of both public and private employers that pay be the same for jobs historically held by women as for jobs requiring comparable skill that are usually held by men.

Ans: C

Solution:

A. 'that' is a co-ordinating conjunction and the construction "of both public and private employers that pay be the same for jobs " which has a prepositional phrase( of) followed by a conjunction followed by the object of the dependent clause just doesn't sound right. Grammatically I am unable to pin-point the error though ...

B. 'job' (singular) in the dependent clause cannot be compared to jobs (plural).

C. best option according to me althouugh the use of 'in' instead of 'for' looks out of place.

D. erroneous comparison, from the statement it is not clear what is being compared.

E. jobs and job getting compared again.

Not sure about this one. OA pls.

My ans is in bold op A, although D looks good to me..reasons
opA:- To sand it and to apply primer....parallel statements..and i thnk pronoun "it" is ok...referring to surface only not the paint..
opB:- violates parallelism and looks awkward as word "before" is missing
opC:- violates parallelism and looks awkward
opD:- you has no antecedent..although looks good as it used the "surface" instead of "it"...
opE:- "and" shld come b/w surface and apply

wats the OA?????
1. Legislation in the Canadian province of Ontario requires of both public and private employers that pay be the same for jobs historically held by women as for jobs requiring comparable skill that are usually held by men.

1. Legislation in the Canadian province of Ontario requires of both public and private employers that pay be the same for jobs historically held by women as for jobs requiring comparable skill that are usually held by men.

My ans is in Bold..op C...reason
Requires the employer to pay...not that pay...also in jobs historically held by women is parallel to in jobs of comparable skill in op c...

WATS THE OA...????

I think it's (A)....leave it as it is...

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

24316 people follow this discussion.