About this discussion

Last updated

Author
Sachin . @Govi

Tags

GMAT Sentence Correction Discussions

The GMAT and Related Discussions section is very fragmented in terms of the information available at one's disposal. There are one of reply threads and several other redundant threads that have masked the more important ones. This is an atte...
Follow this discussion to get notified of latest updates.
Page 251 of 1087   
Guy's try this:--

San Franciscans of the 1890s mocked the claim that declared Los Angeles a world city, yet within 20 years a powerful municipal will had made this boast a reality.
1. yet within 20 years a powerful municipal will had made this boast a reality.
2. yet within 20 years a powerful municipal will made this boast a reality.
3. yet a powerful municipal within 20 years will make this boast a reality.
4. yet this boast had become a reality within 20 years because of a powerful will municipally
5. yet within 20 years a municipal will had made this boast a powerful reality.

my take is in bold!!

The bank holds $3 billion in loans that are seriously delinquent or in such trouble that they do not expect payments when due.

(a)they do not expect payments when

(b)it does not expect payments when it is

(c)it does not expect payments to be made when they are

(d)payments are not to be expected to be paid when

(e)payments are not expected to be paid when they will be
my take is in bold!!

The event of growing of that figure to nearly six hours a week occured earlier than 1997 (a logical timeframe, if it helps you better understand the sequence).

-------------------------------------------
Thanks,
Ashish
GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle
GMAT - 99th Percentile, MBA - ISB

cheers bro, i get it now
That's correct. The sentence is not talking about something happening after 20 years; 20 years is used as a frame of reference.

Another similar question:

In 1981 children in the United States spent an average of slightly less than two and a half hours a week doing household chores; by 1997 that figure had grown to nearly six hours a week.

Thanks,
Ashish

As i think of it, when a sentence talks about 2 actions in the past..the former one i.e the one that occurred first uses past perfect sense.

which is what you stated previously as well

Going by that logic, the above "had grown" should be incorrect since it is referring to the more recent figure. that only leaves me with "grew" as a possibility.

why, although, does "had grown" sound correct?
Hi Navin, this does not look like an official question, but has a good learning.

There are actually 3 events that this sentence talks about:

1.San Franciscans mocking the claim in 1890's
2.20 years passing since then
3.But, before those 20 years passed (within 20 years), powerful municipal will made this boast a reality.

Hence, if you look at points 2 and 3 above, while both 2 and 3 occurred in the past, 3 happened before 2 and hence, 3 should be in past perfect (in this case: had made). Hence, 1 is the right answer.

p.s. Hopefully you did realize that will is not used as an auxiliary verb, but as a noun (as in will power).

Thanks,
Ashish

ok maybe there is a difference in comprehending the sentence..
the way i look at it is this....the will was passed 20 years before..but the will made this boast a reality after 20 years i.e. much later - the most recent of the events..

Going by what you say..nothing really happened after 20 years..

Keep your thoughts coming.

OA to the "bank payments" question is indeed C....

Sandy....

The bank holds $3 billion in loans that are seriously delinquent or in such trouble that they do not expect payments when due.

Also, could someone plz tell me the meaning of "delinquent" in this context? Thanks!

Answer is C (My View)
If you will break this sentence in to 2 parts it would be like
Part 1 - The bank holds $3 billion in loans that are seriously delinquent.
(Considering delinquent means Over Due)
Part 2 Bank is in such trouble that they do not expect payments when due.
In part 2, keep in mind that Bank is singular and intransitive which needs to be addressed with it and word Payments is plural.
In the options list only B and C starts with it but Option B says it does not expect payments when it is which referring to word payments as singular.
So the answer is C It does not expect payments to be made when they are
Please correct me if I am wrong
-Sandy
  • 1 Like  

San Franciscans of the 1890s mocked the claim that declared Los Angeles a world city, yet within 20 years a powerful municipal will had made this boast a reality.

4. yet this boast had become a reality within 20 years because of a powerful will municipally

Option 2 sounds good to me.."had made" is wrong because the second statement occurred after the 1st statement.

Would go for Option c .

Please let us know the answer as well. ( m bad at sentence correction)

Cheers,
N

Also, could someone plz tell me the meaning of "delinquent" in this context? Thanks!

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

21871 people follow this discussion.