About this discussion

Last updated

Author
Sachin . @Govi

Tags

GMAT Sentence Correction Discussions

The GMAT and Related Discussions section is very fragmented in terms of the information available at one's disposal. There are one of reply threads and several other redundant threads that have masked the more important ones. This is an atte...
Follow this discussion to get notified of latest updates.
Page 251 of 1056   
well c would be wrong for the same reason as D&E.....it; suggests that the vocal tract was without language

A. neanderthals had A vocal tract ... (singular) that resembled those of the apes (plural) .... WRONG
so i am only left with b

Ishita Kothari Says
but if E were to be correct then the vocal tract would possess no language...which is not the case! it is the neadrethals that lack language

Ishita Kothari Says
The OA is B .... cause i presume that Ape's in this case shows possession...

Ishita Kothari Says
yes saurav you are correct

Please use "Quote" to quote the corresponding message.

Makes it a little bit easier for souls like me to understand what is going on :)

Thanks!
ATB!
  • 1 Like  
Ishita Kothari Says

My take is E as vocal tracts agrees with "those" of apes.

A: "a vocal tract" do not agrees with "those"
Ishita Kothari Says

Is this the question of any AIMCAT or MCs???????? sounds kinda familiar to me.

Ishita Kothari Says

May be bcoz, it is short and succint. But we can't neglect even option A.
If "apes" is wrong wrt "a vocal tract" which is singular, we should say that even "a vocal tract" is wrong wrt "Neathandrals" which is plural.
kumarsaurav9539 Says
I didn't write "looks like an apes". Read the 2nd sentence carefully. U can't just deny it. Even dat is correct. However, we can say that 1st one sounds good while talking, but it doesn't mean that 2nd one is wrong. Singular and plural have nothing to do here bcoz all apes look the same and so a single person can be compared to them. So, it'll not be wrong to write the 2nd sentence.

Even then the sentence "He looks like apes" is wrong.

Can any expert comment on this.Pls
1. He(singular) looks like an ape (singular).----correct
2. He(singular) looks like an apes (Plural).----Incorrect

I didn't write "looks like an apes". Read the 2nd sentence carefully. U can't just deny it. Even dat is correct. However, we can say that 1st one sounds good while talking, but it doesn't mean that 2nd one is wrong. Singular and plural have nothing to do here bcoz all apes look the same and so a single person can be compared to them. So, it'll not be wrong to write the 2nd sentence.

OK read the following sentences:

1). He looks like an ape.
2). He looks like apes.

Which one is wrong and why?

1. He(singular) looks like an ape (singular).----correct
2. He(singular) looks like an apes (Plural).----Incorrect
@kumarsaurav9539:
If that be the case, "Cats", "dogs" etc also refer to a general species.Are they singular??? I think "apes" can not be considered a collective noun.It is plural.

correct me if i am wrong..!!

OK read the following sentences:

1). He looks like an ape.
2). He looks like apes.

Which one is wrong and why?

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

5922 people follow this discussion.