About this discussion

Last updated

Author
Sachin . @Govi

Tags

GMAT Sentence Correction Discussions

The GMAT and Related Discussions section is very fragmented in terms of the information available at one's disposal. There are one of reply threads and several other redundant threads that have masked the more important ones. This is an atte...
Follow this discussion to get notified of latest updates.
Page 251 of 713   

I think (B) is most logical as far as the meaning of the sentence is concerned.
The underlined portion should describe "the way" that the WWW consortium is developing and not the intent of the consortium for developing "the way".
Please post the OA....I will go with (B).

My take:

1. Unnecessary use of separating.
2. Separating is wrong.
3. correct one
4. Because if not reqd
5. Bcos is not reqd.

I will go with option 3
kapur.arnav Says
OA is D... can someone explain please... confused b/w D&E;

D and E convey the same meaning, but E is more wordy - so need to go with D.
Your Gateway to Global Leadership

-Full time post graduate program in business

-Faculty from SDA Bocconi, Italy

-Dual Campus Mumbai and Milan

-2014 Avg. CTC 10 Lakh p.a - Merit based tuition waiver

Apply Now

To know our placement statistics download the brochure.

Download Now
Hi guys..i have a clarification...pls see the below line:

"Forget, for a moment, whether marginal rates are too high or too low."

my doubt is...when we go with the parallelism....should there be an extra "are" in the above sentence ("or are too low")?

If not, can someone please explain the reasoning.

Maybe i am getting confused here, but i really need to clear it.

thanks!!

"Are" is a type of linking verbs - verbs that do not express action but instead connect the subject of the verb (marginal rates) to additional information about the subject (too high/too low).

Given this context there is only one linking verb required as clearly both "too high" and "too low" refer to the same subject "marginal rates".

If there were (note the subjunctive here ) more than one subject and you need to link it to different information then you would use "are" more than once.

Example:

"The people in Kazhakastan are not like what is shown in Borat, and are enterprising in their own way"

Now in the above example if I had not used the second "are" then it would be confusing since the subject is now placed quite some distance from the additional information. Additionally you now have a new subject Borat which could add to potential confusion.

Saying that "The people in Kazhakastan are not like what is shown in Borat, and enterprising in their own way" it looks like the conjunction "and" somehow fuses Borat and enterprising while they are 2 distinct attributes about the people of Kazhakastan.

Hope this helps,

Arun
India's fastest growing GMAT & GRE Test Prep Company:  http://crackverbal.com 
Uninterested in the lecture, the operator put most of the audience to sleep.

Ref. Manhattan SC

The correct sentence given for this is:
The operator put most of the audience, which was uninterested in the lecture, to sleep.

My question is: Can WHICH be used with audience?

According to the guide:
The pronoun which introduces phrases that modify things.

Will audience be considered a thing ?

Thanks
GT

Audience can be used with the pronoun which.

Don't the producers/directors keep carping about how it is the audience which wants to see a particular type of movie?

Jokes apart frankly I don't see any reason why audience cannot be considered as a "thing". Let us take other collective nouns such as team and army.

Which team lost today?

The army which has the most foot soldiers.

Sounds pretty fine to me.

Arun
India's fastest growing GMAT & GRE Test Prep Company:  http://crackverbal.com 
the worldwide web consortium is developing a way to collect information from visitors of web pages with a view to separating the appearance of a webpage and the data it helps correct.

1) same as underlined
2) by separating the appearance of a webpage from the data it helps to collect.
3) with a view to separate the appearance of a webpage from the data it collects
4) because it hopes to separate the appearance of webpages from the data they collect
5) because of the need to separate the appearance of webpages from the data they collect.

LOL, this one is very tricky. Is it a GMAT question ?? Well my takes

1). "to separating" incorrect usage of infinitive besides "helps correct" need a preposition in between. Overall awkward sentence, thus discarded

2). singular pronoun "it" is modifying the singular noun "web page". Parallelism is maintained between the verbs "developing" and "separating". Over all this option restores the correct meaning and hence correct according to me.

3). "with a view to" is an awkward phrase !! what this phrase is modifying?? I think it is redundant here.

4). This option changes the meaning of original sentence "because" is used to give cause.

5). same as 4 .

So my take is 2

Abhishek
the worldwide web consortium is developing a way to collect information from visitors of web pages with a view to separating the appearance of a webpage and the data it helps correct.

IMO B. Please post the OA.

1) same as underlined
3) with a view to separate the appearance of a webpage from the data it collects
4) because it hopes to separate the appearance of webpages from the data they collect
5) because of the need to separate the appearance of webpages from the data they collect.

My take:

1. Unnecessary use of separating.
2. Separating is wrong.
3. correct one
4. Because if not reqd
5. Bcos is not reqd.

I will go with option 3

1) same as underlined --- Very confusing. "seperating" is incorrect here. Eliminate this option
2) by separating the appearance of a webpage from the data it helps to collect. --- it changes the meaning of the sentence. eliminate this option
3) with a view to separate the appearance of a webpage from the data it collects --- everything is fine here hence the answer.
4) because it hopes to separate the appearance of webpages from the data they collect --- change in meaning. "hopes" is not the correct word to express the meaning implied here. eliminate this option
5) because of the need to separate the appearance of webpages from the data they collect.--- change in meaning. what is the need to separate the appearance? thus elinimate this choice also.

My final answer is (3). Please post the OA with explanation.

1) same as underlined

Uninterested in the lecture, the operator put most of the audience to sleep.

Ref. Manhattan SC

The correct sentence given for this is:
The operator put most of the audience, which was uninterested in the lecture, to sleep.

My question is: Can WHICH be used with audience?

According to the guide:
The pronoun which introduces phrases that modify things.

Will audience be considered a thing ?

Thanks
GT

Critics contend that the new missile is a weapon whose importance is largely symbolic, more a tool for manipulating people's perception than to fulfill a real military need.

(A) for manipulating people's perceptions than to fulfill
(B) for manipulating people's perceptions than for fulfilling
(C) to manipulate people's perceptions rather than that it fulfills
(D) to manipulate people's perceptions rather than fulfilling
(E) to manipulate people's perceptions than for fulfilling

correct answer is B.
Let us disect the options one by one.

(A) they estimate that, in comparison to last year, when only 36 percent of the nations 607 HMOs was profitable, this year 73 percent will be

there is no antecedent available for they. "Interstudy" should be refered by "it". Thus eliminate the option.

(B) compared to only 36 percent of the nations 607 HMOs being profitable last year, they estimate 73 percent would be this year

eliminated---same reasoning as above

(C) only 36 percent of the nations 607 HMOs were profitable last year; it estimates that this year 73 percent will be

everything is fine here . thus the answer

(D) it estimates 73 percent of the nations 607 HMOs would be profitable this year; last year that was only 36 percent

According to Interstudy it estimates is not a correct construction. Thus eliminate this choice also.

(E) only 36 percent of the nations 607 HMOs last year were profitable, whereas they estimate it this year to be 73 percent

same culprit again. eliminate it .

Thus the answer according to me is (C). Please post the OA.

Correct d OA is (C)

my doubt is...when we go with the parallelism....should there be an extra "are" in the above sentence ("or are too low")?

thanks!!

In the above sentence the second "are" is implicit so for conciseness we omit it. Thus extra "are" is not required.
  • 1 Like  

thanks!!

Q. According to Interstudy, a nonprofit organization that studies health maintenance organizations (HMOs), they estimate that, in comparison to last year, when only 36 percent of the nations 607 HMOs was profitable, this year 73 percent will be.
(A) they estimate that, in comparison to last year, when only 36 percent of the nations 607 HMOs was profitable, this year 73 percent will be
(B) compared to only 36 percent of the nations 607 HMOs being profitable last year, they estimate 73 percent would be this year
(C) only 36 percent of the nations 607 HMOs were profitable last year; it estimates that this year 73 percent will be
(D) it estimates 73 percent of the nations 607 HMOs would be profitable this year; last year that was only 36 percent
(E) only 36 percent of the nations 607 HMOs last year were profitable, whereas they estimate it this year to be 73 percent

Let us disect the options one by one.

there is no antecedent available for they. "Interstudy" should be refered by "it". Thus eliminate the option.

eliminated---same reasoning as above

everything is fine here . thus the answer

According to Interstudy it estimates is not a correct construction. Thus eliminate this choice also.

same culprit again. eliminate it .

Thus the answer according to me is (C). Please post the OA.

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

2664 people follow this discussion.