About this discussion

Last updated

Author
Sachin . @Govi

Tags

GMAT Sentence Correction Discussions

The GMAT and Related Discussions section is very fragmented in terms of the information available at one's disposal. There are one of reply threads and several other redundant threads that have masked the more important ones. This is an atte...
Follow this discussion to get notified of latest updates.
Page 1 of 1081   

In 1975, Sippy produced a film that became the biggest blockbuster that Indian Cinema had ever seen.

In 1975, Sippy produced a film that WOULD become the biggest blockbuster that Indian Cinema had ever seen.                                         In this the second sentence is correct .Could someone please tell me how .Thanks in advance

• 3 Comments
  • Does, this makes sense? In 1975, Sippy produced a film t.... 10h.
  • @Delhitimes yes if it refers to future from a past time ,.... 3h.
Rome0
Sumit Narang @Rome0 1

Does, this makes sense?

In 1975, Sippy produced a film that  had become the biggest blockbuster that Indian Cinema had ever seen.

apoo2293
Apoorva Kasoju @apoo2293 4

@Delhitimes yes if it refers to future from a past time , then it is would.But when we use became does it not convey that it was biggest blockbuster till 1975 ?

In 1850 Lucretia Mott published her Discourse on Women, arguing in a treatise forwomen to have equal political and legal rights and for changes in the married women's
property laws.

A. arguing in a treatise for women to have equal political and legal rights
B. arguing in a treatise for equal political and legal rights for women
C. a treatise that advocates women's equal political and legal rights
D. a treatise advocating women's equal political and legal rights
E. a treatise that argued for equal political and legal rights for women -

QA is E ..y a and b is wrong.

• A---option A suggests that Mott published her discourse w.... 1d.
  • and parallelism as well,construction after argue will bec.... 1d.
lochan_cancer
Rudra Lochan @lochan_cancer 417

A---option A suggests that Mott published her discourse while arguing in a treatise..so by meaning analysis it 's clear Modifier(verb ing+Noun phrase) is distorting the meaning...i am not sure but may be argue for is better idiomatic use.. B-Same error,C-I believe possessive use is dubious here--women's equal political and legal rights Vs equal political and legal right for women and then origin use of "argue" should be preferred over "advocate"..i am not sure but it might be changing the meaning..

lochan_cancer
Rudra Lochan @lochan_cancer 417

and parallelism as well,construction after argue will become.. for...and for...... 

Thomas Eakins’ powerful style and his choices of subject—the advances in modern surgery, the discipline of sport, the strains of individuals in tension with society or even with themselves—was as disturbing to his own time as it is compelling for ours.  

35 people answered this question.
undertheskygymworld.blogspot.in/ The secret of Life ,though,is to fall seven times and to get up eight times. 
You can view the comments after answering or skipping this question.

The increased popularity and availability of televisions has led to the decline of regional dialects, language variations which originate from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated by geographic isolation.

75 people answered this question.
9 Comments

I have about 2 months before I write the GMAT. Which books should I buy if I am aiming a 730+ and will be devoting a minimum of 6 hours daily over the course of 2 months.

Thanks in Advance

• 3 Comments
  • Kinjal, thanks for your reply. I have the official guides.... 4d.
  • First of all, take a free mock from GMATPrep and check wh.... 4d.
john.does
@john.does 1

Kinjal, thanks for your reply. I have the official guides. Could you also tell me if it is is beneficial to get the Manhattan Prep course material? Lastly, do I have a chance of scoring a decent 700+ considering I have two months and my grasp on both Verbal and Quant can be safely said to be average. TIA

kinji.at.pg1
Kinjal Das @kinji.at.pg1 29,447

First of all, take a free mock from GMATPrep and check where you are.You can PM me the scores and we can talk more. Make sure you have time for both Quant and verbal sections.

Hello!!

Is there any whatsapp group for GMAT ..if yes please add me .my number is 8793319209.. I am planning to take my GMAT in July/Aug..

• @Kash1990 just created, added you...if interested others .... 4d.
  • @Rome0 could you add me too?...9035018559. 4d.
Rome0
Sumit Narang @Rome0 1

@Kash1990 just created, added you...if interested others can also join us....

sanjeevabhujang
red devil @sanjeevabhujang 44

@Rome0 could you add me too?...9035018559

Hello everyone...

I want to take GMAT this July or August... I wanted to know, when Should I take my first mock ...my plan is to finish Official Guide first and then take  first mock .....Could you guys please help me out...when should I take it...and which gmat mock would be appropriate. to gauge myself.?

thank you so much in advance....and all the best...

• 4 Comments
  • @M_mdm Dude, Should I take that mock available on mba.com.... 4d.
  • @Romeo I will recommend that you give the Mock test and t.... 4d.
Rome0
Sumit Narang @Rome0 1

@M_mdm Dude, Should I take that mock available on mba.com now...or first I should finish OG.....and then take that mock....?

M_mdm
Maulik @M_mdm 4

@Romeo I will recommend that you give the Mock test and then complete the OG. By completing the Mock test you will be able to identify your areas of improvement and while completing the OG you may focus on these areas.

Please Help !!

Which sentence is correct?

1.The band U2 WAS just one of many new groups on the rock music scene in the early 1980's, but less than ten years later, U2 HAD fully ECLIPSED its early rivals in the pantheon of popular music. '

2.The band U2 WAS just one of many new groups on the rock music scene in the early 1980's, but less than ten years later, U2 fully ECLIPSED its early rivals in the pantheon of popular music.

I went with 2 that is wrong .My concept says HAD has a earlier effect in any sentence . The sequence should be HAD->WAS->simple past . So the sentence says "ten years later " and the sentences starts with "WAS " so should not it take a simple past , as it happened 10 years later.Kindly give some more examples like this.

• 6 Comments
  • @EducationAisle I could make out from the original ques.... 20h.
  • @apoo2293 concept is very similar in the example I provid.... 20h.
apoo2293
Apoorva Kasoju @apoo2293 4
@EducationAisle 

I could make out from the original question ,that are two time markers First: "U2 HAD fully ECLIPSED its early rivals in the pantheon of popular music(sometime after early 1980's and before early 1990's) Second :"point of time which is ten years later(early 1990's)" Is this correct? However , i could not clearly point to such time markers in your example. My understanding 1) 2007 - usage

EducationAisle
EducationAisle.com @EducationAisle 559

@apoo2293 concept is very similar in the example I provided. Between 2007 and 2011 (the way it is between 1980's and 1990's in the question under consideration), that figure "had gone" up to 8 hours.

The number of people flying first class on domestic flights rose sharply in 1990, doubling the increase of the previous year.

89 people answered this question.
3 Comments
undertheskygymworld.blogspot.in/ The secret of Life ,though,is to fall seven times and to get up eight times. 

Even though I did sc in Princeton review and OG still my accuracy is around 50%. Kindly suggest what to do to improve my accuracy to 80%

• find the error and clear your basics on it. 7d.

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

17200 people follow this discussion.