About this discussion

Last updated

Author
Ryan P @Neo2000

Tags

GMAT Query Center 2010-13

In keeping with my mantra of starting the new Query thread when people stop reading the first post and start asking the same Qs over and over again, i'm pleased to announce the brand new GMAT QUERY CENTER 2010-11 :: :: As always, *PLEASE R...
Follow this discussion to get notified of latest updates.
Page 63 of 124   

Hi All,

I am preparing for GMAT last 3 months , i gave 4-5 MGMAT test and found that i am scoring around 45-48 in Quant but English is giving me sleepless nights i have always got around 25-30 , have done everything OG 12 , 700-800 , CR bible, but still not getting the Score i want in english. I am in fulltime job in IT and managing 3-4 hrs daily for studies.

Any concrete suggestions are most welcomed.

I am loosing my confidence in English.

Please help.

Thanks
Rohit

Commenting on this post has been disabled.

Hey all....! Thanks for such informative forum...
I have 1 query... my profile goes like this: 95% in 10th, 80% in 12th , 75% in B.tech (engineering),
I am going to start with my job.. I have not so incredible co-curriculars. What should I do now to improve upon my resume.. ?? What all co-curriculars are highly appreciated by top MBA colleges..?
Also please tell me : Is it better to go for IIMA/IIMB with 1 year work ex. or have 2-3 years exp. and then apply for ISB hyderabad or other top US colleges.. ???

One Year PGPM @ Great Lakes

Post Graduate Program in Management (PGPM)

- 1 Year Fast Track MBA Program

- Accredited by AMBA, UK

- Ranked 7th by Outlook & Business Today in 2014

- Avg. CTC of INR 11.43 Lakhs in 2014

App. Deadline: 30 November, 2014

Learn More

10+ Global Associations with Leading Schools/ Universities

25+ International Visiting Faculty from Stanford, Yale, Kellogg, etc.

50+ National Level Prizes Won by Students in 2013-14

100+ Industry Leaders on Campus in 2013-14

3000+ Alumni Network spread over 28 Countries

Know More

Hey all,

I am new to this forum and would like to seek advice from the expert members of this community to help me with my preparations.

I have just started preparations for my GMAT and I look forward to a date in Dec 2011 to appear for it. Please suggest how I should go about my preparations. I have clear three months to prepare and can spare about 4 hours on weekdays and 8-10 hours on weekends.

I have appeared for the Kaplan CAT 1 and scored a dismal 590 on it. I read somewhere on the forum that you should kickstart preparation with a mock test to see where you stand. Well, I guess this is where I stand at the moment.:o I haven's scored with much variation on both Quant and verbal, although verbal scores were worse that the quant ones.

Please advise as to how I should go about it. What books should I refer to? Looking at the test scores on my Kaplan practice test, what is the kind of scores I could be looking at, on the actual GMAT after 3 months?

Any advise would be highly appreciated.

Some piece of general advice for you:

1. Do Quant and Verbal in tandem if you have the time.

2. The MGMAT guides done in tandem with OG is all that you need. So don't worry you are on the right track.

3. 3-4 hours PER DAY then its a bit too much (assume you are working). 3-4 hours PER WEEK on weekdays is too less Something in between like say 2 hours a day and 8 hours per work week should be good.

Arun

Thanks a lot for the inputs Arun.....

Since I am working full time 3-4 hrs would a stretch but I think I should be able to manage 2 hrs per day comfortably...
Will start with verbal and quant in tandem as the same appeals to me too...

Thanks !!!

2. The MGMAT guides done in tandem with OG is all that you need. So don't worry you are on the right track.

3. 3-4 hours PER DAY then its a bit too much (assume you are working). 3-4 hours PER WEEK on weekdays is too less Something in between like say 2 hours a day and 8 hours per work week should be good.

Arun

Thanks a lot for the inputs Arun.....

Since I am working full time 3-4 hrs would a stretch but I think I should be able to manage 2 hrs per day comfortably...
Will start with verbal and tandem as the same appeals to me too...

Thanks !!!
Hi All,

I seek some guidance form you all for my GMAT which i plan to give by NOV'11 end...

To kick off the prep i gave a mock of the GMATPrep. Scored 600 ( Q 48, V 25).

I have the Manhattan set of guides ( 8 books) and all the three OG guides latest editions.
I believe i need to work really hard on the verbal part to score around 750 which is my target score..
Just wanted some guidance on how to start preparing. Should i start off with verbal first or i can simultaneously do quant and verbal devoting aorund 3-4 hrs on weekdays and ~10 hrs on weekend...

Would really appreciate help from the fellow puys....

Arun
India's fastest growing GMAT & GRE Test Prep Company:  http://crackverbal.com 

Hi All,

I seek some guidance form you all for my GMAT which i plan to give by NOV'11 end...

To kick off the prep i gave a mock of the GMATPrep. Scored 600 ( Q 48, V 25).

I have the Manhattan set of guides ( 8 books) and all the three OG guides latest editions.
I believe i need to work really hard on the verbal part to score around 750 which is my target score..
Just wanted some guidance on how to start preparing. Should i start off with verbal first or i can simultaneously do quant and verbal devoting aorund 3-4 hrs on weekdays and ~10 hrs on weekend...

Would really appreciate help from the fellow puys....

Thank you for the prompt reply.
I'm thinking about taking the GMAT now bcoz i'm not sure whether i will get enough time to prepare for it when im working...also i heard some rumors about change of pattern sometime next year but could not find anything on the gmat official website.

For once the rumors are true

Read about the new section here:
Next Generation GMAT: Multi-Source Reasoning

and here:
GMAT Integrated Reasoning Section to Debut in June 2012

However don't worry this will not impact your GMAT score - and you will end up getting the same score even if you were to take the new format. It is just replacing one of the essays of AWA.

Arun
hi guys,
I desperately need help!
I just finished my B.Tech from NIT Trichy n going to join a company in november. I want to apply for a MBA program aftr 3-4 years of work ex. Should i take GMAT now with 2 months of preparations or should i write it after a year or two? I have heard that some b-schools ask for a GMAT score not older than 2 or 3 years...is that true?

Take it after a few years - that way you will be more clear about what you really want to do. Planning 4 years in advance is not a great strategy - a lot of things might change (though I admire your focus ).

Arun
roadnotdecided Says
Wat should i need to improve if i had to apply EGP in future?

Answer: GMAT score.

You really can't do much about the philanthropic activities you ought to have participated in, but did not; you can't do anything about the extra-curriculars you participated in but did not care to collect the certificate for; you can't do anything about a couple of extra marks that could have catapulted you from being a District topper to a State topper...

That is all History and History, in most cases can neither be changed nor be mis-interpreted.

GMAT is the future, and is the one most important component of your profile that you can influence. So, better do that.

-------------------------------------------
Thanks,
Ashish
GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle
GMAT - 99th Percentile, MBA - ISB
GMAT Faculty @ http://www.EducationAisle.com ; GMAT - 99th Percentile, MBA - ISB

Guys,

Though Im going through many threads of this site,this is my 1st post.Im in dilemma as to continue with my career or should take break to do EGP.Well,some of you can throw light on as what to do based on my below profile .

Profile :

Indian male,working in Mineral processing EPC sector,mainly in commissioning field handling customer.Worked on with US,Australia,UK colleagues on my company.Handled many indian customer.

Work exp: 5yrs as on date with 2yrs in abroad(mainly in africa and month trip to aussie nd US)

Xth : 88.9%
XIIth : 96.3%
GPA : 8.5
Degree : Chemical engg (from Anna univ campus)
Won state scholarship for Univ program.
District rank holder in XIIth.
Executive member of college symposium.
NSS volunteer & team leader in college
School group captain.

GMAT : yet to give

Based on my above profile,i have got following ques :

1.How my profile stands?
2.What should be my GMAT target score if i plan to write?
3.How to choose IIM ? based on my career background or purely based on my score nd allied stuffs?
4.What would be my placement oppurtunity in this sector?
5.Has any ur batchmates or ur senior is from field of mineral processing?
6.Wat should i need to improve if i had to apply EGP in future?
7.Is abroad experience should be continous or is it OK with ON & OFF of staying 3months totalling 2yrs.

Guys,i tell you ...any of your reply will let me to decide if i have to prepare for GMAT to take on EGP or should i continue wit my profession.

regards
Raj

Hi All
I also have a few more queries which are worrying me .

which colleges and locations are you applying to? are you targettig fall 2012 in USA/france?

WHU in germany starts in mar 2012. so you can still apply.

i think SDA italy also starts inthe same period.

IMD and ST gallen switzerland start in jan.but it looks it will be impossible for you for jan 2012.

top colleges in USA like MIT,harvard have round 1 by sept last week/october. you have to take GMAT by sept to meet that deadline.

you can still go for r2 in dec/jan. obviously r1 is better.

top colleges in france start in sept 2012 and have similar deadlines.

1.What all the things weneed to apply for a college

transcripts, 2-3 recommendations,lots of essays,GMAT score, toeffl/"medium of instruction= english" letter, application fee through credit card,application form usually online.

you better check the university website thoroughly and spend time there.

i enquired personally with each and every university that i was interested in.

2.When a college mentions a deadline does it mean we have to submit all the documents reqd or just the gmat score and the application form??

an unofficial copy of the GMAT can be given by the deadline and official scores mailed later. some univs will accept scores within 15-30 days of deadline. you need to enquire this again with the admissions officer.

for toeffl waiver or score, you have to talk to admissions directly again.

3.I am aiming at a score of 680-720 in the GMAT.I am intersted in 1 year MBA program.With my profile (Engg in BITS-Pilani) and working with Oracle for 2+ years by the time i apply,can i expect to get into Top 20-50 MBA colleges??

generally 4-5 yr will be ideal for the best colleges. but they promise to admit fresher students who demonstrate exceptional maturity.

you can ask for a cv assessment from european schools.
american schools are unlikely to give you that.but just give an enquiry to them.

4.Can u guys suggest any colleges which best suits my profile ..

you better do this exercise by self for the reason

the universities will ask why my program? why USA or france? motivation essays clearly asking you detail why MBA now? why their MBA fits you and how will it benefit you post MBA?

if you don't have this sorted out, you are unlikely to get admitted,Its a vital part of your application.

i suggest research on the universities using rankings or any other guide and make your decision considering your career aims.

this is not something that shud be left to other people.

Hi All
I have close to 2 years work exp (Oracle)and im planning to take up gmat in september end.I have worried whether im too late for taking up the test.
I also have a few more queries which are worrying me .
1.What all the things weneed to apply for a college
2.When a college mentions a deadline does it mean we have to submit all the documents reqd or just the gmat score and the application form??
3.I am aiming at a score of 680-720 in the GMAT.I am intersted in 1 year MBA program.With my profile (Engg in BITS-Pilani) and working with Oracle for 2+ years by the time i apply,can i expect to get into Top 20-50 MBA colleges??
4.Can u guys suggest any colleges which best suits my profile ..

Thanks a lot in Advance
Praneeth

Bala,

It is normally till the date of joining the institute which in most cases is
July-August. However, that frankly wouldn't make a difference to you as the average work experience of the current intake of the NUS batch is above 5 years and that for IT candidates is appox. 6 years with about 2 years of international work experience. The scenario would be the same in NTU and the other good schools, globally.

Frankly, it is way too early for you to get into any good school's Full Time MBA program. Suggest you not to apply for the upcoming intake - many reasons, low work exp. being one of them. Apply in a couple of years, work on the ECs, and consider changing your industry (if you want to).

All the best!

hi spark
thanks for your reply
if i am giving GMAT by this november end , which colleges can i opt for MBA by 2013 in US and other countries?
it doesnt need to be the best colleges, i can manage with the better colleges which are one step behind the best
please clarify my doubt
hi
presently am working in IT sector with 1.5 years experience, will be completing two years by march
am planning to give GMAT by november end.
for most of the b schools the minimum work exp is 2 years(for example NUS,NTU singapore), so will be eligible to apply for 2012 intake..
is it like we should be having 2 years work exp while applying or the work exp shouold be 2 years while joining the college?
please clarify my doubt

Bala,

It is normally till the date of joining the institute which in most cases is
July-August. However, that frankly wouldn't make a difference to you as the average work experience of the current intake of the NUS batch is above 5 years and that for IT candidates is appox. 6 years with about 2 years of international work experience. The scenario would be the same in NTU and the other good schools, globally.

Frankly, it is way too early for you to get into any good school's Full Time MBA program. Suggest you not to apply for the upcoming intake - many reasons, low work exp. being one of them. Apply in a couple of years, work on the ECs, and consider changing your industry (if you want to).

All the best!

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

1024 people follow this discussion.