About this discussion

Last updated

Author
Sachin . @Govi

Tags

GMAT Critical Reasoning Discussions

The GMAT and Related Discussions section is very fragmented in terms of the information available at one's disposal. There are one of reply threads and several other redundant threads that have masked the more important ones. This is an atte...
Follow this discussion to get notified of latest updates.
Page 1 of 615   

Astronomer: Observations of the Shoemaker-Levi comet on its collision course with Jupiter showed that the comet broke into fragments before entering Jupiter’s atmosphere in 1994, but they did not show how big those fragments were. Nevertheless, some
indication of their size can be inferred from spectrographic analyses of Jupiter’s outer atmosphere. After the fragments’ entry, these analyses revealed unprecedented traces of sulfur. The fragments themselves almost certainly contained no sulfur, but astronomers believe that the cloud layer below Jupiter’s outer atmosphere does contain sulfur. Since sulfur would have seeped into the outer atmosphere if comet fragments had penetrated this cloud layer, it is likely that some of the fragments were at least large enough to have passed through Jupiter’s outer atmosphere without being burned up.

In the astronomer’s argument, the two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?

19 people answered this question.
http://www.gmatfreeprep.com/...I am no expert.still preparing for GMAT 
You can view the comments after answering or skipping this question.

Sylvia: some psychologists attribute the complex reasoning ability to reptiles, claiming that simple stimulus-response explanations of some reptiles’ behaviors, such as food gathering, cannot account for the complexity of such behavior. But since experiments show that reptiles are incapable of making major alterations in their behavior, for example, when faced with significant changes in their environment, these animals must be incapable of complex reasoning.

Which one of the following is an assumption required by Sylvia’s argument?

29 people answered this question.
4 Comments

Tiger beetles are such fast runners that they can capture virtually any nonflying insect. However, when running toward an insect, a tiger beetle will intermittently stop and then, a moment later, resume its attack. Perhaps the beetles cannot maintain their pace and must pause for a moment's rest; but an alternative hypothesis is that while running, tiger beetles are unable to adequately process the resulting rapidly changing visual information and so quickly go blind and stop. 

Which of the following, if discovered in experiments using artificially moved prey insects, would support one of the two hypotheses and undermine the other? 

20 people answered this question.

Hi Guys, please share details of POE as well..

Spectroscopic analysis has revealed the existence of frozen nitrogen, methane, and carbon monoxide on the surface of Pluto. Such ices have a tendency to vaporize, producing an atmosphere. Since the proportion of any gas in such an atmosphere depends directly on how readily the corresponding ice vaporizes, astronomers have concluded that the components of Pluto's atmosphere are nitrogen, carbon monoxide, and methane, in order of decreasing abundance. 

The astronomer's argument relies on which one of the following assumptions? 

(A) There is no more frozen nitrogen on the surface of Pluto than there is either frozen carbon monoxide or methane. 

(B) Until space probes reach Pluto, direct analysis of the atmosphere is impossible. 

(C) There is no frozen substance on the surface of Pluto that vaporizes more readily than methane but less readily than carbon monoxide. 

(D) Nitrogen is found in the atmosphere of a planet only if nitrogen ice is found on the surface of that planet. 

(E) A mixture of nitrogen, carbon monoxide, and methane is characteristic of the substances from which the Solar System formed.

• 6 Comments
  • A-as proportion of gases is directly proportional to thei.... 3d.
lochan_cancer
Rudra Lochan @lochan_cancer 442

A-as proportion of gases is directly proportional to their rate of vaporization,so in what quantity they exists on surface it doesn't matter,so out. B-no way ,this assumption can't be made here ,as already we are talking about proportion of different gases..C-as n>co2>methane are three components in atmosphere, so none is between co2 and methane on surface in terms of vaporization rates...this one is fine....D-wrong comparison or generalization,the given relationship is for pluto..so maynot be true for all..so option eliminated..E-same as D ..pluto VS solar system so out ..answer is C

Can anyone suggest me a good book for critical reasoning for CAT? I need good study material from where i can understand the basics.Thanks in advance.

• 4 Comments
  • watch some youtube videos on cr...i found bulls eye video.... 5d.
  • @piyushcoool4321 no clue about material! Am not an aspira.... 4d.
Mohit...
Mohit Srivastava @Mohit... 47

watch some youtube videos on cr...i found bulls eye video on CR a good one,,,,,,that would help u understand the basics...practising on cr wud further help u in getting the concept right

scrabbler
Sir hoga tera baap @scrabbler 27,522

@piyushcoool4321 no clue about material! Am not an aspirant...

When people predict that certain result will not take place unless a certain action is taken, they believe that they have learned that the prediction is correct when the action is taken and the result occurs. On reflection, however, it often becomes clear that the result admits of more than one interpretation.

Which of the following, if true, best supports the claims above?

(A) Judging the success of an action requires specifying the goal of the action.

(B) Judging which action to take after a prediction is made requires knowing about other actions that have been successful in similar past situations.

(C) Learning whether a certain predictive strategy is good requires knowing the result using that strategy through several trials.

(D) Distinguishing a correct prediction and effective action from an incorrect prediction and ineffective action is often impossible.
(E) Making a successful prediction requires knowing the facts about the context of that prediction.

28 people answered this question.
6 Comments
CAT '13 94.XX | CAT '15 hope  

Below is an excerpt from a letter that was sent by the chairman of a corporation to the stockholders.

A number of charges have been raised against me, some serious, some trivial. Individuals seeking to control the corporation for their own purposes have demanded my resignation. Remember that no court of law in any state has found me guilty of any criminal offense whatsoever. In the American tradition, as you know, an individual is considered innocent until proven guilty. Furthermore, as the corporation’s unbroken six-year record of growth will show, my conduct of my official duties as chairman has only helped enhance the success of the corporation, and so benefited every stockholder.

Which of the following can be properly inferred from the excerpt?

58 people answered this question.
8 Comments
CAT '13 94.XX | CAT '15 hope  

Last year the worldwide paper industry used over twice as much fresh pulp (pulp made directly from raw plant fibers) as recycled pulp (pulp made from wastepaper). A paper-industry analyst has projected that by 2010 the industry will use at least as much 
recycled pulp annually as it does fresh pulp, while using a greater quantity of fresh pulp than it did last year. 

If the information above is correct and the analyst's projections prove to be accurate, which of the following projections must also be accurate? 

(A) In 2010 the paper industry will use at least twice as much recycled pulp as it did last year. 
(B) In 2010 the paper industry will use at least twice as much total pulp as it did last year. 
(C) In 2010 the paper industry will produce more paper from a given amount of pulp than it did last year. 
(D) As compared with last year, in 2010 the paper industry will make more paper that contains only recycled pulp. 
(E) As compared with last year, in 2010 the paper industry will make less paper that contains only fresh pulp.

Please provide the details of POE as well... thanks

• 7 Comments
  • Yes, I have landed up with A as well. This question is fr.... 3d.
  • A. 2d.
Ace_of_Base
Mohit Joshipune @Ace_of_Base 3

Yes, I have landed up with A as well. This question is from Princeton Rev. Manual for the GMAT exam version 8.0. Thanks to both of you @rikku20 @kunal.suraiya 

Until now only injectable vaccines against influenza have been available. They have been primarily used by older adults who are at risk for complications from influenza. A new vaccine administered in a nasal spray form has proven effective in preventing influenza in children. Since children are significantly more likely than adults to contract and spread influenza, making the new vaccine widely available for children will greatly reduce the spread of influenza across the population. 

Which of the following, if true, most strengthens the argument?

36 people answered this question.
undertheskygymworld.blogspot.in/ The secret of Life ,though,is to fall seven times and to get up eight times. 

Mourdet Winery: Danville Winery's new wine was introduced to compete with our most popular wine, which is sold in a distinctive tall, black bottle. Danville uses a similar bottle. Thus, it is likely that many customers intending to buy our wine will mistakenly buy theirs instead.

Danville Winery: Not so. The two bottles can be readily distinguished: the label on ours, but not on theirs, is gold colored.

Which of the following, if true, most undermines Danville Winery's response?

30 people answered this question.
2 Comments
undertheskygymworld.blogspot.in/ The secret of Life ,though,is to fall seven times and to get up eight times. 

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

25074 people follow this discussion.