About this discussion

Last updated

Author
Sachin . @Govi

Tags

GMAT Critical Reasoning Discussions

The GMAT and Related Discussions section is very fragmented in terms of the information available at one's disposal. There are one of reply threads and several other redundant threads that have masked the more important ones. This is an atte...
Follow this discussion to get notified of latest updates.
Page 1 of 584   

The head baker at Barry’s Bagels can either purchase flour in-person from the local flour mill, Larry’s Local Mill, or order a shipment of flour from an out-of-state mill, Isadore’s Interstate Mill. The cost of the flour from Isadore’s Interstate Mill is 10 percent less than the cost of the flour from Larry’s Local Mill. Even after shipping and handling fees are added, it is still cheaper to order flour that has to be shipped from Isadore’s than to buy flour locally from Larry’s. The statements above, if true, best support which of the following assertions?

13 people answered this question.
1 Comments
Every champion was once a contender that refused to give up
You can view the comments after answering or skipping this question.

Health insurance rates have been steadily increasing in this country for decades. Though health insurance companies paid for a smaller percentage of claims last year than they did ten years ago, the overall rise in the number of claims still means that more money is being paid out, and the companies compensate for this by hiking their rates.

From the information above, it can be inferred that ten years ago

14 people answered this question.

State university's physics department requires that all tenured professors be "deliverable-oriented" in other words, focused on the creation and publication of new technical research that would add to the reputation of the university. Professor HAwkings, however, is known for his unorthodox methods of teaching and popularity among undergraduate students. Therefore, Professor Hawkings is in direct violation of State University policy and shouldn't be considered a candidate for department chair. 

The argument assumes that ... 

11 people answered this question.

Albinism is a rare genetic condition that inhibits the production of melanin, or pigmentation, in the skin and hair. People born with albinism are unusually susceptible to sunburn, melanoma, and a range of other health issues that are generally connected to excessive exposure to the sun. The statements above, if true, provide the most support for which of the following conclusions?

12 people answered this question.

Lawmaker: Raising taxes is not the only means of reducing government debt. The government's stockpile of helium is worth 25 percent more, at current market prices, than the debt accumulated in acquiring and storing it. Therefore, by selling the helium, the government can not only pay off that debt but reduce its overall debt as well.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

Source : GMATPrep CR

36 people answered this question.
4 Comments

Hello Everyone,

I am planning to give GMAT on April 2015. My GMAT prep practice scores are fluctuating in between 650 - 700 range. From analysis of my practice exams, I come to know that I got most of my CR questions wrong. I do not follow any standard approach to attempt a CR question , simply understand the argument first and then POE(process of elimination) of wrong answers. But, this doesn't seems working.

If someone out here can help me with the right resources or approach to nail the CR section of GMAT that will help me big time to get my dream score(720+). 

Please suggest.

• 1 Like  
  • CR has some specific steps: 1) Identify the conclusion. .... 14 Feb.
  • Read CR Bible for tips and tricks!. 17 Feb.
kinji.at.pg1
Kinjal Das @kinji.at.pg1 28,264

CR has some specific steps:

1) Identify the conclusion.

2) Understand the logical connections between the premises and conclusion. 

For Assumptions: Use the negation test. Negate the option and see if the conclusion breaks. That should the correct  option.

For Weakener/Strengthener : See which option makes you belief that conclusion is either weakened or strengthen in the scope argument is written.

For Bold Faced : You just need to do step 2) Religiously.

For Evaluate : I learnt from @egmat a test called variance test. How to apply it. Most of the time, the options of evaluate question is mentioned in "Whether" so I can answer that option in either "Yes" or "No". If I answer in "Yes" or "No", the conclusion of the argument with "Yes" or "No" varies a lot. In that case, the option is correct.

Most difficult CR questions, tests you on identifying two things:

1) Conclusion.

2) Scope.

Both of them requires a lot of practice.

Any specific queries, you can tag me.  

Aditya1812
Aditya Thapar @Aditya1812 24

Read CR Bible for tips and tricks!

Everyone who has graduated from TopNotch High School has an intelligence quotient (IQ) of over 120. Most students with an IQ of over 120 and all students with an IQ of over 150 who apply to one or more Ivy League universities are accepted to at least one of them. The statements above, if true, best support which of the following conclusions?

45 people answered this question.
8 Comments
Veritas Gurgaon - 9810801887 

A researcher discovered that people who have low levels of immune-system activity tend to score much lower on tests of mental health than do people with normal or high immune-system activity. The researcher concluded from this experiment that the immune system protects against mental illness as well as against physical disease.

The researcher's conclusion depends on which of the following assumptions?

A. High immune-system activity protects against mental illness better than normal immune system activity does.

B. Mental illness is similar to physical disease in its effects on body systems.

C. People with high immune-system activity cannot develop mental illness.

D. Mental illness does not cause people's immune-system activity to decrease

E. Psychological treatment of mental illness is not as effective as is medical treatment.

• 7 Comments
  • @pulkit_malik ok got you but why not C???. 30 Jan.
  • @sambitm05 I'll give an analogous answer to you. Suppose .... 30 Jan.
sambitm05
sam sammy @sambitm05 338

@pulkit_malik ok got you but why not C???

pulkit_malik
Pulkit Malik @pulkit_malik 1,755

@sambitm05 I'll give an analogous answer to you. Suppose if you and i both have fever. Your temp is 100 and mine is 99. I'm healthier than you but that doesn't mean that I'm fit. So in this case the person with a better score may not necessarily be free of mental illnesses 

wel wrong forum for such a question,but can anybody guide me on which coaching can i join for gmat in chandigarh especially if verbal is to be improved upon. ther is princeton ,time ,cl n quite a few more.also please suggest some gud novels i can read..

In Eastland, from 2000 to 2005, the total consumption of fish increased by 4.5 percent, and the total consumption of poultry products increased by 9.0 percent. During this time, the population of Eastland increased by 6 percent, in part due to new arrivals from surrounding areas. Which of the following can one infer based on the statements above?

49 people answered this question.
3 Comments
Veritas Gurgaon - 9810801887 

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

11112 people follow this discussion.