About this discussion

Last updated

Author
Sachin . @Govi

Tags

GMAT Critical Reasoning Discussions

The GMAT and Related Discussions section is very fragmented in terms of the information available at one's disposal. There are one of reply threads and several other redundant threads that have masked the more important ones. This is an atte...
Follow this discussion to get notified of latest updates.
Page 1 of 584   

The Larynxtown industrial zone is infested with rats. The municipality introduced DDA poison, improving the situation, but resulting in the death of many Klacktop birds. To prevent the death of the Klacktops, DDB poison was introduced which resulted in the death of many Gellowtop frogs. Some of the public believe that since the rat infestation poses a significant threat to the Larynxtown citizens' health, any measures, irrelevant of the harm caused to wildlife, must be taken to cease it. The industrial zone neighbors the habitats of certain wildlife species that are protected by law so the introduction of poisons is probably not the solution to this particular infestation.

In the argument given, the two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?

Kindly post your explanation too.

10 people answered this question.
1 Comments
You can view the comments after answering or skipping this question.

First published in 1946,  and comparing the ways the world appears both in Homer's Odyssey and in the Bible, Mimesis, a philosophical treatise written by Auerbach laid the foundation for a unified theory of western literature beginning from the very early times to his days 
this is a sentence correction Q by mistake posted it in CR thread. sorry for that.
Please discuss.

4 people answered this question.

There are tests to detect some of the rare genetic flaws that increase the likelihood of certain diseases. If these tests are performed, then a person with a rare genetic flaw that is detected can receive the appropriate preventive treatment. Since it costs the health-care system less to prevent a disease than to treat it after it has occurred, widespread genetic screening will reduce the overall cost of health care. 

The argument assumes which one of the following? 

Discuss it too.

12 people answered this question.
1 Comments

Healthcare analyst: Consumers should avoid purchasing low-cost insurance plans from a certain 
health insurance company that has been touted as a resource for those who need to reduce the 
cost of their monthly premiums. Although the low-cost insurance plan, which costs up to fifty 
percent less than other insurance plans, has short-term financial benefits, it does have a serious 
drawback: it does not cover brand-name drugs, thereby costing consumers as much as several 
hundred dollars per month.

In evaluating the columnist's position, it would be most useful for a consumer to determine 
which of the following?

3 people answered this question.

The head baker at Barry’s Bagels can either purchase flour in-person from the local flour mill, Larry’s Local Mill, or order a shipment of flour from an out-of-state mill, Isadore’s Interstate Mill. The cost of the flour from Isadore’s Interstate Mill is 10 percent less than the cost of the flour from Larry’s Local Mill. Even after shipping and handling fees are added, it is still cheaper to order flour that has to be shipped from Isadore’s than to buy flour locally from Larry’s. The statements above, if true, best support which of the following assertions?

16 people answered this question.
1 Comments
Every champion was once a contender that refused to give up

Health insurance rates have been steadily increasing in this country for decades. Though health insurance companies paid for a smaller percentage of claims last year than they did ten years ago, the overall rise in the number of claims still means that more money is being paid out, and the companies compensate for this by hiking their rates.

From the information above, it can be inferred that ten years ago

16 people answered this question.

State university's physics department requires that all tenured professors be "deliverable-oriented" in other words, focused on the creation and publication of new technical research that would add to the reputation of the university. Professor HAwkings, however, is known for his unorthodox methods of teaching and popularity among undergraduate students. Therefore, Professor Hawkings is in direct violation of State University policy and shouldn't be considered a candidate for department chair. 

The argument assumes that ... 

13 people answered this question.

Albinism is a rare genetic condition that inhibits the production of melanin, or pigmentation, in the skin and hair. People born with albinism are unusually susceptible to sunburn, melanoma, and a range of other health issues that are generally connected to excessive exposure to the sun. The statements above, if true, provide the most support for which of the following conclusions?

13 people answered this question.

Lawmaker: Raising taxes is not the only means of reducing government debt. The government's stockpile of helium is worth 25 percent more, at current market prices, than the debt accumulated in acquiring and storing it. Therefore, by selling the helium, the government can not only pay off that debt but reduce its overall debt as well.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

Source : GMATPrep CR

37 people answered this question.
4 Comments

Hello Everyone,

I am planning to give GMAT on April 2015. My GMAT prep practice scores are fluctuating in between 650 - 700 range. From analysis of my practice exams, I come to know that I got most of my CR questions wrong. I do not follow any standard approach to attempt a CR question , simply understand the argument first and then POE(process of elimination) of wrong answers. But, this doesn't seems working.

If someone out here can help me with the right resources or approach to nail the CR section of GMAT that will help me big time to get my dream score(720+). 

Please suggest.

• 1 Like  
  • CR has some specific steps: 1) Identify the conclusion. .... 14 Feb.
  • Read CR Bible for tips and tricks!. 17 Feb.
kinji.at.pg1
Kinjal Das @kinji.at.pg1 28,288

CR has some specific steps:

1) Identify the conclusion.

2) Understand the logical connections between the premises and conclusion. 

For Assumptions: Use the negation test. Negate the option and see if the conclusion breaks. That should the correct  option.

For Weakener/Strengthener : See which option makes you belief that conclusion is either weakened or strengthen in the scope argument is written.

For Bold Faced : You just need to do step 2) Religiously.

For Evaluate : I learnt from @egmat a test called variance test. How to apply it. Most of the time, the options of evaluate question is mentioned in "Whether" so I can answer that option in either "Yes" or "No". If I answer in "Yes" or "No", the conclusion of the argument with "Yes" or "No" varies a lot. In that case, the option is correct.

Most difficult CR questions, tests you on identifying two things:

1) Conclusion.

2) Scope.

Both of them requires a lot of practice.

Any specific queries, you can tag me.  

Aditya1812
Aditya Thapar @Aditya1812 24

Read CR Bible for tips and tricks!

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

11594 people follow this discussion.