SHOW

Giving Back: Advice and Perspective

• Created by @Adiyogi
Hello everyone, This is my first post on these forums. However, I have been visiting these forums for some time now, off and on. In many ways I'm a misfit here - am older than many of the posters here, I don't live in India anymore, and am no... Read More »
Dear Adiyogi,

Wanted your perspective on ISB for someone looking for a second MBA. I am presently working in a global Agriculture SCM company in India and have already completed a PG diploma in Rural Management. I want to pursue an MBA for moving into the strategic roles within the SCM sector in a global profile. Is it a good move to go to ISB for the same as I already have an admission offer from ISB or will it be better to apply to US/European B-Schools for the same.

Hey,

A couple of thoughts here:

1) It is important that you already have an admit from ISB. So you are basically evaluating giving up your existing ISB offer for a potential top tier U.S./Euro B. school offer in the future. Hard to make an assessment of the latter without greater understanding of your profile. Assuming it is pretty solid (which is has to be to score an ISB admit), realize that getting into a top 10 B school in the U.S. (for example) still has a significant component of luck involved. You cannot take it for granted. So, giving up on the ISB offer will be hard

2) While at ISB, focus on SCM, but keep a strong eye out for Management Consulting. Even though your eventual goal is to break into senior positions in SCM, you could be very well served by going through a stint in Management Consulting at one of the big 3 firms, for example (McKinsey, Bain, BCG). In senior roles, there's a convergence of the skills needed to be successful, and this kind of experience can help you a lot through the network and the direct experience itself. Of course, recruit for SCM directly as well, and if you are able to land a profile that's exciting, go for it

Adiyogi
Commenting on this post has been disabled.
Dear Adiyogi,

Wanted your perspective on ISB for someone looking for a second MBA. I am presently working in a global Agriculture SCM company in India and have already completed a PG diploma in Rural Management. I want to pursue an MBA for moving into the strategic roles within the SCM sector in a global profile. Is it a good move to go to ISB for the same as I already have an admission offer from ISB or will it be better to apply to US/European B-Schools for the same.
School of Inspired Leadership - Admissions Open!

SOIL has been co-created by a consortium of 32 leading companies. Admissions Open for the 7th Batch!

500 + Alumni working in top positions across industry.

Average Package : 9.0 Lacs, Highest Package : 18.0 Lacs

Apply Now!

Know more about 1 year leadership program at SOIL.

Download Now
Hi,

Thanks for taking this initiative.

I have got through SIBM-Pune. I need one advice from you. I have come to know that SIBM-P is very good for it's marketing and HR specializations. However, I am interested in pursuing MBA in finance only. How good would you rate the Fin-specialization of SIBM-P. Also, if you could rank the best Fin-specialization MBA colleges in India, it would be of great help.

Thank you.

PS: I will be doing my MBA this year from SIBM-P only and have no plans of taking SNAP/CAT/XAT next year. SIBM-P is the best call that I have.

Hey,

As I indicated in my PM, I wish I could help you with this query, but this one is truly outside the boundaries of my knowledge. There are several folks on these forums who are far better equipped to respond.

In response to the second part of your query, I would make the (obvious) observation that the IIMs (C, A and B in particular) and ISB would rank pretty high.

Good luck with your decision making process.

Adiyogi
  • 1 Like  
Hi,

Thanks for taking this initiative.

I have got through SIBM-Pune. I need one advice from you. I have come to know that SIBM-P is very good for it's marketing and HR specializations. However, I am interested in pursuing MBA in finance only. How good would you rate the Fin-specialization of SIBM-P. Also, if you could rank the best Fin-specialization MBA colleges in India, it would be of great help.

Thank you.

PS: I will be doing my MBA this year from SIBM-P only and have no plans of taking SNAP/CAT/XAT next year. SIBM-P is the best call that I have.
Cheers! SIBM Pune Human Resources 2012-2014
Doesn't look like this post/thread has gone anywhere. Maybe it is inefficient for folks to post questions away from the threads they are used to and/or the post appears too pompous to be believable.

I will keep checking once in a while, and if nothing comes out, maybe contribute on other relevant threads when I get a chance.

Regards,
Adiyogi
Hello everyone,

This is my first post on these forums. However, I have been visiting these forums for some time now, off and on. In many ways I'm a misfit here - am older than many of the posters here, I don't live in India anymore, and am not looking to pursue an MBA. So, why am I here?

There are several reasons for my being here. For now, let me just bucket these reasons into "giving back". Having gone through some of the life situations that several of you are now embarking on, I may be able to provide some advice and perspective.

At the outset, let me clarify that I'm not a professional counselor, and don't have any other tangential motives. In fact, what little points I will be able to make may not be useful to many of you. Apologies in advance for that. Moderators of the forum(s), please feel free to recast/reposition this thread in appropriate ways. If nothing comes out of it, feel free to close the thread.

Career dimensions I can provide perspectives on based on prior direct experiences:
1) Engineering Bachelors in India (IITs)
2) Engineering Masters in the US
3) IIMs (advice on CAT a bit dated, but remember this is a career advice thread)
4) ISB
5) Business schools/MBA in the US
6) Global career streams - Investment Banking; Consulting; and a few more

I apologize for posting a thread like this that may appear to some as being high and mighty, but I do not (unfortunately) have the time to build my profile on these forums over a period of time, and establish an online personality. The approach I'm currently taking seems more efficient - feel free to disagree.

I do not promise to be available frequently on this thread, and in some cases it may be preferable to speak on the phone or over email - we can explore those options as appropriate.

For now,

Adiyogi
  • 2 Likes  

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

3 people follow this discussion.