About this discussion

Last updated

Author
Natarajan @nramachandran

Tags

Geometry for CAT 2011

Hi Guys, Geometry, Algebra and Number system form the major chunk of our QA section for CAT. Proficiency in these three sections would definitely boost our Quants scores. Contents of Geometry 1\. Plane Geometry - Basics and Tri...
Follow this discussion to get notified of latest updates.
Page 6 of 21   
I am new to this forum and this is my first post. Please provide solution for this question I stumbled upon

The question is in the attached image

a. 8/5
b. (1 + sqrt(2))/2
c. 2 - sqrt(2)
d. 4/5

Let center of the middle circle be O.
Drop perpendicular OP on ED
OP BC
So, AO/AB = OP/BC
=> 3/5 = OP/1 or OP = 3/5

Apply pythagoras thm. in triangle OPD
OD = OP + PD
1 = 9/25 + PD
PD = 16/25
PD = 4/5

And, DE = 2*PD = 8/5

Ques in the attached image. Options are:

a. 152/3
b. 32
c. 12
d. 41

http://cdn.pagalguy.net/s/forum/files/2/5/1/7/3/5/22001/attach/Triangles.jpg

This has been done earlier. Credits to chillfactor bhai who solved it. Here's the original solution. Last post on this page :

http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/official-quant-thread-for-cat-2011-part-2-25067094

• 4 Likes  
Corporate Communications Cell - MDI Gurgaon
Commenting on this post has been disabled.
Ques in the attached image. Options are:

a. 152/3
b. 32
c. 12
d. 41
Admissions open at Goa Institute of Management

Studying at GIM will change you; transforming you into a competent leader. A learning experience based on Ethics, Diversity, Innovation, Research and Social Sensitivity, specifically designed to launch you into a rewarding and successful career.

Apply Now.

Learn more about us.

Start Downloading

I am new to this forum and this is my first post. Please provide solution for this question I stumbled upon

The question is in the attached image

a. 8/5
b. (1 + sqrt(2))/2
c. 2 - sqrt(2)
d. 4/5

• 1 Like  
In the attached figure , if BC : CD = 2:3 and AE : EC = 3:4. Find the ratio of the area of triangle ECD to the area of triangle AEB

Ans: 2:1
PGDM Finance, IMT Ghaziabad

Originally Posted by nramachandran
SET - 9

An equilateral triangle ABC of side 40 cm is cut into two pieces in such a way that one piece is an equilateral triangle containing the vertex A and the second piece is a trapezium. Two such trapeziums are placed beside each other to form a parallelogram. What is the perimeter (in cm) of the parallelogram?

a. 120
b. 160
c. 200
d. 240
new equilateral triangle ki side = 20

Suja

Can anyone explain this que ?
Is there any1 who knows the concept of polygon inside polygon? Its done in byju's class but i cudnt attend tat session...pls post it here by u knw the concept.
Thnx in advance.

I don't know how relevant this is to the CAT prep. but it's highly unlikely that such concepts would ever figure ,as questions, in the CAT.

In case you wish to know more on this concept,do get a book on 'Trigonometry' By S L Loney...all such ( and many more) concepts are given there towards the end of the book.Hope that helps
  • 1 Like  
SET-24

A question from the recent mock

The shape of a solid plastic toy is shown in the figure given below. The structure consists of a cylinder, frustum of a cone and a hemisphere. The height and radius of the cylinder are H/2 and r respectively. The radius of the hemisphere is R. The height and base radius of the original cone were H and R respectively. If H = 2R = 4r, then what is the volume of the toy?

a
b
c
d

converting all volumes in terms of r
ans comes 'a'
Total volume = v(hemisphere) + v(cylinder) + v(large cone) - v(small cone)
=(2/3)(R^3)+ r^2h + (1/3)(R^2)H - (1/3)(r^2)h
put H = 2R = 4r, h = H/2
=
= 12r^3
SET-24

A question from the recent mock

The shape of a solid plastic toy is shown in the figure given below. The structure consists of a cylinder, frustum of a cone and a hemisphere. The height and radius of the cylinder are H/2 and r respectively. The radius of the hemisphere is R. The height and base radius of the original cone were H and R respectively. If H = 2R = 4r, then what is the volume of the toy?

a
b
c
d
PGP 2014-16, Indian Institute of Management Bangalore

Is there any1 who knows the concept of polygon inside polygon? Its done in byju's class but i cudnt attend tat session...pls post it here by u knw the concept.
Thnx in advance.

Too many of us are not living our dreams because we are living our fears.
ashishkakkar123 Says
guys like in equilateral triangle orthicentre= in centre = centrod=circumcentre. does isocles triangle follow this property as perpendicular bisector , median ,angle bisector altitude of it are same as n equilateral triangle....

I think no , because intersection point of medians is different than that of altitudes

guys like in equilateral triangle orthicentre= in centre = centrod=circumcentre. does isocles triangle follow this property as perpendicular bisector , median ,angle bisector altitude of it are same as n equilateral triangle....

new equilateral triangle ki side = 20

Suja

errrr..
new eq. ki side can be anything (as whenever we draw a parallel line to the the 3rd side we get an eq. tri.)

Its another matter that the perimeter of the formed llgm will be fixed (160)
barclays_boss Says
Ok solve this :

Join PQ. OP = 2 using distance formula. => OQ = 2
In triangle OPQ, by pythagoras thm. PQ = 2(sqrt2)
By distance formula,
PQ = (s+sqrt3) + ( t-1) = 8
s +2(sqrt3)s +3 +t -2t + 1 =8---(1)
Also, s + t = 4--------(2)
So, (sqrt3)s = t ...................from (1) and (2)
substitute this value in (2)
So, 4s = 4
s = 1
s = 1
Corporate Communications Cell - MDI Gurgaon
barclays_boss Says
Ok solve this :

I got SQRT(3)

Ok solve this :

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

117 people follow this discussion.