About this discussion

Last updated

Author
@Oxymoron

Tags

For Newbies: The HitchHiker's Guide To The Pagalguy.com superway

For Newbies: The HitchHiker's Guide To The Pagalguy.com superway \---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- This primer is primarily meant for the newbies,old-but-still-not-comfortable,very-old...
Follow this discussion to get notified of latest updates.
Page 4 of 5   

well
i hope i get my query clarified here.
can someone tell me who the mods r,
r they employed or r they automatically made one depending on their posts.
also tell me what r the various posts that will make u into addict, harcore pagal, etc.
regards

great job

but i want to know few things 1) why it is so as to any thread default option is of instant email notification it really creates problem my suggestion is default shud be no email notifiacation if someone wants one ll change accordingly.

2) other thing is what is life of any thread .

why smillie :popcorn: doesnt work sometimes

u can change the setting whenever u want... but where did u see the default setting as "instant email"... it is set as "no email".. check again.

the life of any thread is until it serves gud purpose. If ppl start crapping it then mods will close it...
Admissions 2015 @ Great Lakes

PGPM 2015-16

1 Year Fast Track MBA Program for experienced professionals. 

App. Deadline (Cycle 2): 24 Jan. 2015

PGDM 2015-17

2 Year MBA program for graduates with 0-2 years of experience. 

Learn More

Global Faculty and internationally benchmarked curriculum

Accredited by AMBA, UK (PGPM & PGXPM Programs)

Ranked 7th by Outlook & Business Today in One Year MBA Programs (2014)

Ranked 10th by Business India in Top B-Schools (2014)

Avg. CTC of INR 11.43 Lakhs p.a. for PGPM 2013-14 &

Avg. CTC of INR 8.07 Lakhs p.a. for PGDM 2012-14

Know More

I am trying to add a thread to my signature as a hyperlink but everytime I use the it doesn't work and the link gets snapped. I noticed that the code "OFF" message appears on the "edit signature" page. Could this be the problem ? How do I turn it "ON"?

Couldn't find anything under the FAQs section so I thought I would check here.

great job

but i want to know few things 1) why it is so as to any thread default option is of instant email notification it really creates problem my suggestion is default shud be no email notifiacation if someone wants one ll change accordingly.

2) other thing is what is life of any thread .

why smillie :popcorn: doesnt work sometimes

hey.. thanx for ur help.. but i still dont seem to be able to get it right.. how am i supposed to be downloading an image.. or when it asks for da URL.. wat r u supposed to right...

well to be honest tis a bit embarrassing to admit dat i cant get it right.. but well dats da truth.. hope u would be kind enuf to help me once more... ?? :huh: Thankyou really....
Know wat.. tis nice to see ppl r ready to help ppl out here.. it really gives me pleasure to see dis..:)

..A.G..

hi radiance...listen - even i went made trying to fig out where to get my avataar pix from before i did this:
1. opened paintbrush and reduced the board size to abt a tenth of what it was.
2. drew the stuff u now see against my name - i wont get into describing it - use ur illusions!
3. open your SNAGIT software and capture the image and save it on ur desktop
4. upload the image onto ur avataar.

simple? or complicated?? feel free to bug the living daylights out of us if u cant get it right!

hope2 see ur avataar image soon!!

cheerio!
hey.. thanx for ur help.. but i still dont seem to be able to get it right.. how am i supposed to be downloading an image.. or when it asks for da URL.. wat r u supposed to right...

well to be honest tis a bit embarrassing to admit dat i cant get it right.. but well dats da truth.. hope u would be kind enuf to help me once more... ?? :huh: Thankyou really....
Know wat.. tis nice to see ppl r ready to help ppl out here.. it really gives me pleasure to see dis..:)

..A.G..

i m myself nt clear bout url thingie ......may be u hv to specify the url of ur avatar
but instead u can right click on the image which u want to keep as avatar, save it on ur computer and there directly upload the avatar from ur pc ...and yes b careful bout its resolution otherwise it will nt upload .....hopefully it will solve ur prob.......if nt then there r many studs here to help u out

and yes ur journey on PG has jst begun .....enjoy this and in due course u wud c a countless examples of peeps helping out each other .......this is vat which makes PG the best

cheers !!!
vishu.
  • 1 Like  

..A.G..

jus one thing i couldnt get was how to go bout dis avtar business... :whatthat: n how are PGites differed ...? (newbe...hardcore..certified..).. Iam a bit confused..:new-alie: So if anyone of u could jus help me on dis regrad...:)

...A.G.

u can load ne avatar of ur choice by going to the user cp on the top left corner of the page or rather HERE

regarding rang thingie.....c it depends on the no. of posts u make
if its 30 u get promoted 4m newbie to expert
again above 100 u get promoted 4m expert to hardcore....and so on......nt sure exactly about no. of posts but it works in the same way
but that does'nt mean u shud go on a posting spree.......rather post sm relevant and useful stuffs

hope it makes sm sense ....enjoy ur stay here

cheers !!!
vishu

da information u guys gave here was fantastic..!! i couldnt imagine.. someone actually posted all da info so dat ppl like me can read it n make use of it..! it was great help..! Why ppl dont go thru dis "guide" , i cannot imagine.. jus one thing i couldnt get was how to go bout dis avtar business... :whatthat: n how are PGites differed ...? (newbe...hardcore..certified..).. Iam a bit confused..:new-alie: So if anyone of u could jus help me on dis regrad...:)

...A.G.

• 1 Like  
oh come on! Tell me the last time you actually went thro' a manual or "Rules" whenever you got a hardware or joined a community? Well I confess I dont do it voluntarily and it is safe enough to assume so doesnt almost 90% of the junta who join this forum. so the best we can do is guide them and ppl who wanna stay on will eventually pick it up. So let us think abt ways of making the newbies read this thread and keep adding to this to make it as user friendly as possible for someone who comes to this site for the first time.

So any additiosn to be made? was the "flow" coherent enough? Any particular link which you think a newbie might be interested in? and anyway of spreading the message to the newbies? For starters if you could allocate some space in your signature.....

@Khota and QE : Great work! good compilation! Perhaps we could add a bit more on CAT related threads cos threads directing to pertinent threads is woefully inadequate in the above FAQS compiled. We have to start thinking in the minds of a newbie who is a CAT apsirant....

thanks oxy..for that kinda understanding for the newbies..sincere apologies to the all the moderators..but trust us(the lot of the ignorant newbies that is..)we not despo to start a thread only to see it closed with a few weirdo comments..juz sheer enthusiasm..the site rox..so ppl wanna plunge right in..n they mk hasty posts..u guys doin a grrreeeaaat job..but sm kinda link with the registration itself..or sm other way for the new user acccess al this gyan wud save u n the new user lot of trouble..
this threadz rocking..n it also mks me feel quite stupid for the random thread i started..obviously it ws lockd within minutes of its posting...
now i dunno if i was supposed to post this or even this is a waste of the precious space on the site..but this thread was due..alas..only if it was posted before i registered!!
  • 1 Like  
"mavericK" Says
Well each time a member joins, we used to send them a mail regarding the forum and lots of FAQs. And lookin at the way most of the n00bs behave once they join the forum, Its pretty obvious that no one goes through such intro mails. So I dont see any point in teaching them how to use the forum, when they are not interested to learn

oh come on! Tell me the last time you actually went thro' a manual or "Rules" whenever you got a hardware or joined a community? Well I confess I dont do it voluntarily and it is safe enough to assume so doesnt almost 90% of the junta who join this forum. so the best we can do is guide them and ppl who wanna stay on will eventually pick it up. So let us think abt ways of making the newbies read this thread and keep adding to this to make it as user friendly as possible for someone who comes to this site for the first time.

So any additiosn to be made? was the "flow" coherent enough? Any particular link which you think a newbie might be interested in? and anyway of spreading the message to the newbies? For starters if you could allocate some space in your signature.....

@Khota and QE : Great work! good compilation! Perhaps we could add a bit more on CAT related threads cos threads directing to pertinent threads is woefully inadequate in the above FAQS compiled. We have to start thinking in the minds of a newbie who is a CAT apsirant....
  • 1 Like  
ILLUMINATUS Says
guys.. is there a way by which u can make every new member to go thru this thread, n the other threads such as introduce yourself etc etc before they can actually start postin? cos no matter how many times v tell them not to post their mail ids, they end up doin that.. i'm assumin that they dont read these must read threads.. is there a way by which they can b lead to these threads b4 they can star posting?

Well each time a member joins, we used to send them a mail regarding the forum and lots of FAQs. And lookin at the way most of the n00bs behave once they join the forum, Its pretty obvious that no one goes through such intro mails. So I dont see any point in teaching them how to use the forum, when they are not interested to learn.
  • 3 Likes  

I have a small suggestion. This thread and along with many threads that are targeted for all the new joinees should also be put in FAQ section. They can be asked to go thru them so as to understand what this forum is all about.

Also if possible i would like to see this thread as Sticky in ALL sections

Gr8 work Oxy,QE and Khota

• 1 Like  

guys.. is there a way by which u can make every new member to go thru this thread, n the other threads such as introduce yourself etc etc before they can actually start postin? cos no matter how many times v tell them not to post their mail ids, they end up doin that.. i'm assumin that they dont read these must read threads.. is there a way by which they can b lead to these threads b4 they can star posting?

• 1 Like  

This thread has been re-opened as the thread starter asked me to. He is hoping for constructive feedback regarding this thread.

I REPEAT: NO messages saying "Good Work" will be tolerated, unless they are accompanied with suggestions.

QE: can you please add names of the threads along with the links. On forum upgrades, the links may change, in which case folks here may use the search option along with the title to search for the thread.

Cheers!

• 1 Like  

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

60 people follow this discussion.