PaGaLGuY's Prepathon

Get access to great test material and prepare with friends! For CAT, IBPS, SSC-CGL and more!

Download for free.
About this discussion

Last updated

Author
@Oxymoron

Tags

For Newbies: The HitchHiker's Guide To The Pagalguy.com superway

For Newbies: The HitchHiker's Guide To The Pagalguy.com superway \---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- This primer is primarily meant for the newbies,old-but-still-not-comfortable,very-old...
Follow this discussion to get notified of latest updates.
Page 3 of 7   
For Newbies: The HitchHiker's Guide To The Pagalguy.com superway
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This primer is primarily meant for the newbies,old-but-still-not-comfortable,very-old-but-as-good-as-dead and the lost souls who come to this thread for salvation. ok maybe I am kidding about the last kind but hey one never knows....I have divided into three sections for easy perusal and the primer is more of the catechism kind.

Disclaimer: The views and suggestions in this primer are purely personal and is not necessarily endorsed by the administrator and mods of this forum!(yet!) So follow them at your own risk!

Section 1: This is for the I-have-no-idea-about-the-site-so-start-from-the-beginning junta

Section 2: This is for the cut-the-jazz-and-lead-me-to-the-mba-related-threads junta

Section 3: This is for the what-else-is-there-to-do-here-other-than-mba junta

Section 1:

Target: Junta who have absolutely no idea about this site and want to get started...

"Hey what is the big deal about this site with such a strange name anyway?"

Two years down the line I am still wondering too...but as Calvin says in his last strip "Let's Go Exploring!" It's irresistable and A D D I C T I V E! Which would be vouchsafed by the number of hits and regular members of this forum. It
was primarily meant to be a "cat discussion forum" but has grown beyond that now. To know more read on....

"mmm...so where should I start? There are way too many threads and it is kinda confusing to navigate thro' this labyrinth!"

Well if you havent registered yet you could do so by going here !

(Note: As of now there is no provision to change your login name once you have registered. So think of an innovative one if you havent registered yet. )Only members are allowed to post and we do frown upon ppl who merely use the resources and do not contribute in any way towards the betterment of the forum! If you have already registered you could go to this thread Introduce yourself and tell us about yourself.
If your idea of introduction is something on the lines of "Hi I am new to this forum. Hope to have a great time where we can help each other in our pursuit of MBA from IIM's"! well just dont bother posting there and save the server space....remember before you actually start posting in threads that is one thread where you can get a good launchpad for yourself. So make the most of it. :)

"Tnx for the unsolicted gyaan but what next? I am still confused with the various buttons and the subforums....would you throw some light on that?"

when you click here you go to the main page of the forum and there you see the various sub forums. I guess the purpose of the sub forums are self evident. If not a brief idea about what the subforum "contains" and "might contain" is given below the subforum heading.

Caveat: Under "Chit Chat" Subforum there is clause which goes "..You don't even have to make sense." That does not translate to carte blanche for spamming! What you say have to be relevant to the topic atleast!

Also peruse thro' the thread NEW at PG ... and Confused/Lost ? Check
this post out!
thoroughly. Most of the queries would have been answered if not you can ask there and be rest assured pretty soon someone will answer it if it is a genuine doubt.

" oh really... cant I just start a new thread with my doubt?"

Nopes!! Starting a new thread involves quite a bit of ritual. Thou shalt read this properly as it is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT !

STEP 1: Thou shalt first formulate the exact qn in mind before jumping into starting a new thread.

STEP 2: Thou shalt see whether such a thread already exists. For that thou shalt religiously use the self evident SEARCH function. Try all the combinations of the query you have in mind
and see if it can "fit" in any of the threads thrown up by the search. If you master the art of searching you are in for a smooth ride out here else you will keep getting your threads locked and simply lose you way out here :)

STEP 3: After STEP 2 and ensuring that absolutely no way the query you have in mind(or the topic on which you have to discuss) is already present you can open a new thread in the relevant sub forum.

STEP 4: Remember it is a "discussion" forum so your job doesnt end up merely starting the thread. So thou shalt given your view first on the topic at hand and then further the discussion.

" I guess that's fair enough...so what about naming of the threads?"

"HELP needed", "Attention plz!" ," I am Eligible and Single!" are NOT the way new threads should be named! Thou shalt use your common sense and name the thread which gives someone more than an idea about what the thread might contain. Only then you can expect your thread not to be locked and get meaningful and swift responses. As the cliched phrase goes "Help Us To Help You"! Peruse thro' the forum first to get an idea about how threads should be named.

"Any thing to be kept in mind while posting in threads?"

We hate to say it but there are some rules you got to follow while posting too.

Rule 1: Thou shalt not copy/paste stuff from somewhere and pass off as your own. In other words thou shalt not plagiarize.

Rule 2: *if* you post something from the net thou shalt mention the Source. If you dont have the source thou shalt mention the same as "Anonymous". But if you do a google search it is very much possible that you will get the source. Anyway you are solely responsible for the contents you put up here and needless to say you have got to ensure that it is not copyrighted .

Rule 3: Strictly no personal phone numbers allowed on the forum. Except in certain threads thou shalt not display your e-mail id either unnecessarily. You can use the Personal Messaging facility for those purposes.

Rule 4: Needless to say it would be in the best interest of you to avoid extremely sexist,racist and risque comments. We are not exactly "prudish" but it doesnt reflect well on your personality if you indulge in it.(Common decency and public
etiquette) Suffice it to say you will be booted before you can say "Pagal guy"!

Rule 5: To the best of possibility avoid using vernacular language while posting if your target audience spans more than one state. The reason I guess is obvious and self evident.

Rule 6: Avoid CAPSLOCK and using bold fonts and colors for general posts.

Rule 7: Try to make sense in your posts cos' in an online community one is judged by his/her posts.(Again obvious!)

Rule 8: No surrogate or Direct Advertising of any kind!

Rule 9: No posting of results link before they are officially released!

Rule 10: No Ranking of MBA institutes(other words no mudslinging!)

Rule 11: Thou shalt not violate any of the above rules! :P

"Boy! you ppl sound quite draconian....so tell me when and how did this forum into existence"?

In the best interests of everyone the rules are inevitable. But hey they are hardly draconian if you think about it logically:) As for the second part of your question you might want to go thro' this thread History of PaGaLGuY.com !

"Wow! That was something....so who are the people behind all these?"

Well you could go thro' Who is Pagalguy ????! to get an idea(?) abt the person behind it. And dont forget the Forum Moderators who are doing a stellar job and the least but not the least the members themselves You could also try PaGaLGuY's Interview on CNBC - Young Turks - Thursday
"Now That is something! Though am new here is there anyway I can contribute to the forum?"

Well you could take your own sweet time to get to know the forum well and see how useful it is to you ( and we hope vice versa too!:)). Since the monetary aspect of running this is borne by one man a.k.a Allwin there is an initiative taken by Zango here Contributors invited - read thread starter for any doubts. And remember if you have a chronic habit of saying "Aye Aye" just for everything without actually meaning it just dont bother about the thread...:) We can sympathisize with the habit...unfortunately quite a number of our forum members is afflicted with it as you will realize if you go thro' that thread.

All fine and said, I would like to add one more point. I have been guiding newbies on the FMS thread, & they repeat the same queries over & over again, & it's tiresome to address these. I would recommend that they should read at least 20-25 posts in a particular thread before posting their query. This helps folks who spend precious time in trying to help them out.
Secondly, I would recommend that this post in particular should kinda replace the homepage, it would force new folks to read the forum rules, before becoming trigger happy on the keyboard. How many of them actually could be reading the forum rules before typing in... I faced a similar problem on an ebooks blog (As a VIP there), I recommended to the admin. this aspect for newbies, & it's actually been implemented there with a lot of refinements. Tye!
latasinghal Says
i hve heard dat der is sum sort of discussn forum in di site.bt m unable 2 trace it out.......can sun1 plz hlp me hw 2 luk 4 d discussn forum?

Erm...

What exactly are you doing? And where have you put this post?

The discussion forum is where you've put your question. Just search for what you want, and it'll be there.

Regards,
Grondmaster
Prepathon – Prepare for IBPS, SSC-CGL and more!

Prepathon gives you courses that are backed by real coaches. Ask, discuss and learn from both coaches and other students. Innovative learning formats, friendly coaches and cutting edge technology — all in one powerful mobile app.

Google Play Store     Learn More

Download prepathon for free

Prepathon is available on the Google Play Store for a free download.

Google Play Store
I have a small suggestion. This thread and along with many threads that are targeted for all the new joinees should also be put in FAQ section. They can be asked to go thru them so as to understand what this forum is all about.

Also if possible i would like to see this thread as Sticky in ALL sections

Gr8 work Oxy,QE and Khota

i hve heard dat der is sum sort of discussn forum in di site.bt m unable 2 trace it out.......can sun1 plz hlp me hw 2 luk 4 d discussn forum?
guys, how to delete my psot in a thread??

i dint find any option apart from editing...

You cannot delete your posts. Send a PM to the mods OR click on the "report bad post" button on the left hand bottom side of your post to do the same whenever required.

Check this as well:
http://www.pagalguy.com/faq.php?faq=vb_faq#faq_vb_read_and_post
  • 2 Likes  

guys, how to delete my psot in a thread??

i dint find any option apart from editing...

• 1 Like  

hi all ,
i was trying to put my avatar , but was'nt able to do so . After I click d save changes option , d screen gets refreshed but does'nt show d avatar . why so???
Also , i checked out d pics size ,it is 2.66kb in size and i dont think it exceeds d max. limit of 80 by 80 pixels. mods plss help

I feel, as soon as a new registration takes place, that newbie should be a subscriber of this thread BY DEFAULT until he/she turns into trainee pagal.
OR All the points written in this guide should be mailed to his mailbox plus whenever he logs in, a message in PG way, asking the user if he has gone thru the guide should be displayed until he becomes trainee regardless of his mastery over the tools.
What say?

Hey guys...

I have a query though m nt very sure that whether this is the right thread for it or not so pls forgive me in case u find it to be wierd.....
How can one stop some one from posting (block) a particular user on the thread which started by him?

let me make it simpler...
Mr. A started one thread....Mr. B posted something against the general interest of that thread.... NOw since "A" started that thread, can he block "B" from posting on that thread? and also can he delete any posts by "B" on that thread?....

pls reply asap!
thanks..

Nopes... the option for such a block does not exist. Mr. A will not be able to block B. This option - and that of locking threads - is available to only Moderators.

However, if you feel that Mr. B has been very wrong in posting, or is breaking forum rules by the post, you can use the 'Report Bad Post' option which is the red button on each post to send a message to all moderators who'll then take corrective action.

Another option is to find which mod is online (Check for bold blue/red names in the who's online list on the forum homepage) and send them a PM.

Regards,
Grondmaster

Hey guys...

I have a query though m nt very sure that whether this is the right thread for it or not so pls forgive me in case u find it to be wierd.....
How can one stop some one from posting (block) a particular user on the thread which started by him?

let me make it simpler...
Mr. A started one thread....Mr. B posted something against the general interest of that thread.... NOw since "A" started that thread, can he block "B" from posting on that thread? and also can he delete any posts by "B" on that thread?....

pls reply asap!
thanks..

hi
all

i just logged into this

iam an MBA from B school and working with a Infrastructure company as a mangement trainee(hr) from one year.Iam planning to take Gmat Next year with solid 2 years experience.and iam about to start ,for it so can you please give the neccesary input .frankly saying iam zero at information on gmat.so please become a virtual teachers guides etc and make me come out of good colours in life.
looking for great reponse fro you

satya vegi
:wow:

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

60 people follow this discussion.