SHOW

Data Suffciency Thread for CAT 2011

Hi All, I think there is no Data Sufficiency thread in PG.So Iam creating this Thread dedicated only to Data Sufficiency Questions and Fundas.So why wait Let Start :: :: Regards
** MBA is hyped but post MBA life is over hyped **
Commenting on this post has been disabled.
9. Is the square root of A an integer?
(1) The last digit of A is 8 .
(2) A is divisible by 6.

Statement 1 is sufficient. A perfect square cannot end with 8.
Statement 2 is not sufficient.
International Management Institute, New Delhi

IMI-Delhi, ranked 9th by Business Today Survey 2014 and accredited with prestigious AMBA, SAQs and NBA, among various other accreditations; is inviting applications for PGDM, PGDHRM and PGDM-B&I for 2015-17 Batch.

Apply Now

Know more about Admissions 2015.

Download Now!
If a, b and x, y, are all real numbers and a : b = 2 : 3, then what is (b + 3y) : (3a + 8x)?
I. x : y = 3 : 4
II. x : y = 4 : 5

1)if the question can be answered by using statement I alone but not by using statement II alone.

2)if the question can be answered by using statement II alone but not by using statement I alone.

3)if the question can be answered by using both the statements together but not by either of the statements alone.

4)if the question can be answered by using either of the statements alone.

5)if the question cannot be answered on the basis of the two statements.

Puys plz sove this

I think the answer is A
We have 3a=2b and 4x=3y
We need the value of (b+3y)/(3a+8x). In the denominator, substitute a and x with (2b/3) and (3y/4) respectively. The ratio becomes 1:2.
My ans C.

Thanks
Ashish

@Ashish- How is statement B sufficent? They've just mentioned '2 out of 4 terms'. They haven't mentioned which two terms are 2 and 4. The numbers can be 1,2,3,4 or 2,4,6,8 right? Could you please explain how you got to the answer? My answer would be A
9. Is the square root of A an integer?
(1) The last digit of A is 8 .
(2) A is divisible by 6.
JCU Singapore 2012 - 2013
Hi Pratiksha09, Srihari123

Can you Plz Post the OA.?
Thanks
Ashish
Thanks with a :) , AB
If a, b and x, y, are all real numbers and a : b = 2 : 3, then what is (b + 3y) : (3a + 8x)?

1)if the question can be answered by using statement I alone but not by using statement II alone.

2)if the question can be answered by using statement II alone but not by using statement I alone.

3)if the question can be answered by using both the statements together but not by either of the statements alone.

Puys plz sove this

Ans 5) can not be answered by both the equation,

consider a=3,b=4 n a=-3,b=-4 ration is same but not the value of (b + 3y) : (3a + 8x).
Thanks
Ashish

Plz post OA soon
Mark (a) if the question can be answered by using the statement A alone, but not by using the statement
B alone.
Mark (b) if the question can be answered by using the statement B alone, but not by using the statement
A alone.
Mark (c) if the question can be answered by using either of the statements alone.
Mark (d) if the question cannot be answered even by using both the statements together but not by
either of the statements alone.

Q-The arithmetic mean of four arithmetic series A1, A2, A3 and A4 is 4, 7, 8 and 9 respectively. What
is the sum of the four arithmetic series?

A- The total number of terms in the four mentioned series A1, A2, A3 and A4 is 3, 7, 9 and 11 respectively.

B- The total number of terms in the four mentioned series is in a Arithmetic Progression. The number
of terms in two out of the four mentioned series is 2 and 4.

My ans C.

Thanks
Ashish

Puys plz sove this
Mark (a) if the question can be answered by using the statement A alone, but not by using the statement
B alone.
Mark (b) if the question can be answered by using the statement B alone, but not by using the statement
A alone.
Mark (c) if the question can be answered by using either of the statements alone.
Mark (d) if the question cannot be answered even by using both the statements together but not by
either of the statements alone.

Q-The arithmetic mean of four arithmetic series A1, A2, A3 and A4 is 4, 7, 8 and 9 respectively. What
is the sum of the four arithmetic series?

A- The total number of terms in the four mentioned series A1, A2, A3 and A4 is 3, 7, 9 and 11 respectively.

B- The total number of terms in the four mentioned series is in a Arithmetic Progression. The number
of terms in two out of the four mentioned series is 2 and 4.
A man has 57 pens. He wants to distribute these pens among his 3 sons such that his eldest son receives the highest number of pens. What will be the number of pens received by the eldest son?

A. The number of pens received by the sons are in Arithmetic Progression.
B. The number of pens received by the sons are in Geometric Progression.

Taking A) let the no of pens be a-d,a,a+d
so, a-d+a+a+d=57, therefore, a=19
AP is 18 19 20 ..eldest son gets 20

Taking B) 1 7 49 are in GP..so eldest son gets 49

Ques can be answered using either of the A or B.

correct???
Question can not be answered even by using both the statements together.

Suppose, we take statement A:
Then the middle aged son gets 19 pens. But, we can't predict about the other two sons' possessions.

From statement B:
let say they have a, ar, ar^2 no of pens
so, a(r^3 - 1)/(r-1) = 57
or, a(r^2 + r + 1) = 3 x 19 or 1*57
a cant be 19, so, a =3,
but using this we are not getting any integer value of r.
if a = 1 then we will get r = 7.
so, three numbers will be, 1,7,49

So, statement B alone can answer the question.
Please confirm in case of any aberrations.

Just try this combination 1, 7, 49. It satisfies.

One more set of values is possible. For the time being, I leave it upto you to find that

Please find my corrections in bold green. :splat:
I could not find out any other combination though. :shocked:

kuldeep yadav Says
i think both A nd B r required..from a we get 19 wid common difference zero..wid B we get common ratio 1 so 19...any flaw plz point

The question is telling that the eldest son will receive the maximum no. of pens, So, it can be inferred that their possessions of pens will be different.
"If you want some, go get it. Period."
i think both A nd B r required..from a we get 19 wid common difference zero..wid B we get common ratio 1 so 19...any flaw plz point

Then the middle aged son gets 19 pens. But, we can't predict about the other two sons' possessions.

From statement B:
or, a(r^2 + r + 1) = 3 x 19
a cant be 19, so, a =3,
So, this statement is of no use.
And even by combining both of them we can not answer the question.

Just try this combination 1, 7, 49. It satisfies.

One more set of values is possible. For the time being, I leave it upto you to find that
  • 1 Like  
http://www.facebook.com/deepakpandey028
A man has 57 pens. He wants to distribute these pens among his 3 sons such that his eldest son receives the highest number of pens. What will be the number of pens received by the eldest son?

A. The number of pens received by the sons are in Arithmetic Progression.
B. The number of pens received by the sons are in Geometric Progression.

From statement B:
or, a(r^2 + r + 1) = 3 x 19
a cant be 19, so, a =3,
So, this statement is of no use.
And even by combining both of them we can not answer the question.

"If you want some, go get it. Period."

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

18 people follow this discussion.