About this discussion

Last updated

Author
Vishal R @vishal.das

Tags

Critical Reasoning for CAT 2012

Hi Guys, :: CAT 2011 season is over.. Lets start the preparation for CAT 2012 :: :: Here is link for CAT 2011 CR thread :http://www.pagalguy.com/forum/english-resources/64412-critical-reasoning-for-cat-2011-a.html
Follow this discussion to get notified of latest updates.
Page 6 of 91   
@arunss90 said:
Hi all, I am bit confused with the CR question I read in a forum
The question is

"A recent study has found that aerobic exercising is the best bet to reduce fat compared to resistive training. A research center X had done a head-to-head comparison on aerobic training, resistive training, combo of both and found that
aerobic exercising is the most efficient and effective way to reduce one's belly fat. Aerobic exercise reduce 70% more calories compared to resistance training.

Which of the following if true, weakens the argument?

A. Pilates training, if done for regularly for 6 months can be more effective than the aerobic training

B. Aerobic exercise, if done without proper training can lead to injuries in neck and back bone.

C. 70 % of the people who reduce fat by aerobic training have gained weight in the next 6 months

D. Aerobic training if not combined with resistive training can reduce the muscle's strength.

E. Research center X's study has not been verified independently. Although, the sample were from diverse communities, the total number of people were not enough to draw a conclusion
"

The answer is A. I'm confused why not E. What if the research center study is flawed.
A is the better choice.
Lets say E is correct and research study is flawed, still there is a chance that aerobic exercising is the best bet. Whereas if A is correct than Pilates are simply better, no confusion about it. :)
  • 4 Likes  
2013| Converts - BLACK, XL , FMS
@numerouno3987 is it c
IRMA PRM-35(2014-2016)
One Year PGPM @ Great Lakes

Post Graduate Program in Management (PGPM)

- 1 Year Fast Track MBA Program

- Accredited by AMBA, UK

- Ranked 7th by Outlook & Business Today in 2014

- Avg. CTC of INR 11.43 Lakhs in 2014

App. Deadline: 30 November, 2014

Learn More

10+ Global Associations with Leading Schools/ Universities

25+ International Visiting Faculty from Stanford, Yale, Kellogg, etc.

50+ National Level Prizes Won by Students in 2013-14

100+ Industry Leaders on Campus in 2013-14

3000+ Alumni Network spread over 28 Countries

Know More

its time to Crack CAT 2013

• Same here. 18 May '13.
Ask Beauty Related Question -> http://khoobsurati.com/forum/
Hi all, I am bit confused with the CR question I read in a forum
The question is

"A recent study has found that aerobic exercising is the best bet to reduce fat compared to resistive training. A research center X had done a head-to-head comparison on aerobic training, resistive training, combo of both and found that
aerobic exercising is the most efficient and effective way to reduce one's belly fat. Aerobic exercise reduce 70% more calories compared to resistance training.

Which of the following if true, weakens the argument?

A. Pilates training, if done for regularly for 6 months can be more effective than the aerobic training

B. Aerobic exercise, if done without proper training can lead to injuries in neck and back bone.

C. 70 % of the people who reduce fat by aerobic training have gained weight in the next 6 months

D. Aerobic training if not combined with resistive training can reduce the muscle's strength.

E. Research center X's study has not been verified independently. Although, the sample were from diverse communities, the total number of people were not enough to draw a conclusion
"

The answer is A. I'm confused why not E. What if the research center study is flawed.

correct.

@MANJULNEOGI

John?
CAT '11 98.27 || CAT '12 97.59 || XAT '14 99.09
Four people are suspected of stealing a diamond from a museum. If one of each person's statements is true and one is false, who is the thief?
Bo said: It was Bo. It wasn't Roman.
Roman said: It was Kate. It wasn't Bo.
John said: It was Roman. It wasn't Kate.
Kate said: It was John. It was Bo.
  • John....trial and error method... 10 May '13.
  • John is the Thief.. 10 May '13.
@dreamz007 in 1st question for books,tables,mirrors it will be either I or II and in 2nd doctors,fools,rich none follows
I am 2nd year CSE B.Tech student at IIT Ropar. I want to start preparing for CAT 2014.Could any of you please suggest good books for the same as I don't have much idea about CAT. I have heard that "Quantum CAT" is good for Quant, "RS Aggrawal" for reasoning (both logical and verbal), and "Word Power made easy by Norman Lewis" for vocab. building.
Still I am confused as reviews of RS Aggrawal are not much satisfying.
Also suggest some good book for DI.
Thanks..
  • buy the arun sharma series for CAT. published by tata mcg.... 09 May '13.
ShahNilay
Nilay Shah @ShahNilay
buy the arun sharma series for CAT. published by tata mcgraw hill.
@abhibeloved pratiksingh28@yahoo.in......thnx in advance mate..:)

@abhibeloved said:
Its one the toughest area in XAT so nothing weird in this. And message me your mail ID, I'll mail you some material.
me too buddy gs4890@yahoo.co.in
aur kuch ho related to xat & snap ...plz kar dena :)
thanks bro :)
  • 1 Like  
  Straight from the heart - gs4890.blogspot.in/
@prats28 said:
guys a bit wierd i know...but i just want to ask ,which book to refer for critical reasoning..i am weak at it..
Its one the toughest area in XAT so nothing weird in this. And message me your mail ID, I'll mail you some material.
  • hey buddy can u mail tht material to me aswell..it will b.... 08 May '13.
"I may be having the worst phase of my life, BUT I WILL NOT QUIT"
methane
@methane 1
hey buddy can u mail tht material to me aswell..it will b of great help. my id is methane12@gmail.com....thanks in advance...

guys a bit wierd i know...but i just want to ask ,which book to refer for critical reasoning..i am weak at it..

@UnCharismatic said:
In the following question:
PM Manmohan Singh lobbied for the asian countries.This would help develop and liberalize trade with countries as Japan,China and other prominent members of the Asean group.

Each of the following,if true,could account for the above,except:
(a)The PM is up for re-election and needs to show results.
(b)The PM's UPA has promised the creation of new jobs in the economy.
(c)The inclusion of India in the ASEAN would be a major achievement on the economic and potential front for Manmohan Singh
(d)Being a shrewd economist,Manmohan Singh realised that trade agreements with prominent nations of the ASEAN would definitely lead to an increase in the trade deficit of the country.
(e)The IMF would punish the PM for such a deal.

iam not able to understand the question,but what i felt like is it a strengthen the question type??
According to me answer should be option (e) as this doesn't supports PM's motive for lobbying.
Tough moments dont last; tough men do!
Statement: Should colleges be given the status of a university in India?
Arguments: I. Yes. Colleges are in a better position to assess the student's performance and therefore the degrees will be more valid.
II. No. It is Utopian to think that there will not be nepotism and corruption in awarding degrees by colleges.

A. Only argument I is strong
B. Only argument II is strong
C. Either I or II is strong
D. Neither I nor II is strong
E. Both I and II are strong
Help me with this..How to deal with such questions?

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

9734 people follow this discussion.