SHOW

CAT'07 For "WORKING JUNTA"

hi everybody, This thread is dedicated to all "working junta" whose left side of brain is occupied by office work and right side is pre-occupied by Quants,Vocab and Reasoning ability and more importantly the fear for cracking CAT. Le... Read More »
  • 1 Like  
Commenting on this post has been disabled.
hi ankit,

first of all, i think it was really a very good effort from ur side this year... the only advice is u shud go for 2008 without any doubts... reason being... u have it in u to atleast get a call from the IIMs... so shud give it a try... and min u.... never take it for granted and the results can vary... but hope for the best and be confident... thats it..

(and tell me how did u manage with no prep... i mean what it THEEE THING required?? )

thanks
sid
International Management Institute, New Delhi

IMI-Delhi, ranked 9th by Business Today Survey 2014 and accredited with prestigious AMBA, SAQs and NBA, among various other accreditations; is inviting applications for PGDM, PGDHRM and PGDM-B&I for 2015-17 Batch.

Apply Now

Know more about Admissions 2015.

Download Now!
Hi Puys,

Me a n00b on PG.:.

I am currently working in a leading IT company (work ex of 19 months as on March 31st,0

I gave CAT this year and got a score of 97.4%ile(QA-96.35%, DI-98.34, V-62.02).
And for this I put an effort of 1 week.

I filled forms for just 3 colleges - IMT(Ghaziabad),Nirma, Somaiya. Got a call from all 3.

IMT GD/PI & interview was bad, Nirma was average and Somaiya is still pending.

Now I am confused whether I should accept admission to any of these institutes or give CAT another shot next year.

Please enlighten me.

Thx,
Ankit
Thanks a lot for your suggestion,
Now i m bit clear in my mind how to procede.

This is great how people who did it are helping others in the way

Hope to see more thoughts

As my personal exp

newspaper's editorial: daily
divide the material dont just do quants or di.. mix the subjects
i used to do english daily for an hr or so and then either quant or di

my study hours were
9-12.30 daily..n more in weekends

MOCK CATs ..enrolled to atleast and max two

till march-april finish the funda books and religiously do verabal..focus not only on jst RC but to ur lang.. and words..

its like this

by end of march-april: done with fundas
may-june- revise strengthen the weak areas not comf
july-start with mocks: analysis.. then identify ur weak area

how to analyse
well it is everything
what u need to analyze
1- where u went wrong
a) were u wrong due to lack of knowledge
b) were u wrong due to lack of time
c) were u wrong due to silly mistake
d) were u wrong due to wrong understanding of concept
e) were u wrong due to marking a fluke
2- where u were not able to attempt
a) was it lack of time
b) was it lack of knowledge
c) was it fear of more time utilzation
3- where u went right
a) u were confident
b) it was a fluke
c) it took more time than it should take
d) it was an intelligent guess with some conceptual backing
4- how much time allocation u gave to each section
a) were there ques which u can solve but was not able to reach that page
b) did u gave too much time to the section u r good/bad on

Now u have a good mix of what concepts u r lacking and once u have given few tests u can easily tell which topic u r good at and which u r not so good
so this will help u in question selection as well will give u direction for further preparation as well

follow this..afer ever 5-6 mocks revisit them..n analyse..

15 days before CAT ..stop with mocks..no tests..just general reading and some problem solving...relax urself ...
D-dAY: jai mata di

my story so far
CAT07 - 96.65 (DI-93.89,QA-87.72:( , VA-95.34)
JMET-AIR-467
IRMA -96%ile with call

there r few mistakes i did..like in the end i got too saturated ..so make sure u dont burn urself out..do relax in between...my perf in the end got affected coz of that
  • 2 Likes  
Hi all,
I am working from 9: 6 and trying to put my consistent efforts for CAT 2008,
Can any one please share his/her experiances regarding how to follow a plan.
Like i have planned to do self study instead of coaching.

Then i am bit confused that how i should procede
like : what part should be covered till feb/March?
: How to make a complete plan till NOV.
: What are key areas to focus upon?

Thanks in advance

As my personal exp

newspaper's editorial: daily
divide the material dont just do quants or di.. mix the subjects
i used to do english daily for an hr or so and then either quant or di

my study hours were
9-12.30 daily..n more in weekends

MOCK CATs ..enrolled to atleast and max two

till march-april finish the funda books and religiously do verabal..focus not only on jst RC but to ur lang.. and words..

its like this

by end of march-april: done with fundas
may-june- revise strengthen the weak areas not comf
july-start with mocks: analysis.. then identify ur weak area

how to analyse
well it is everything
what u need to analyze
1- where u went wrong
a) were u wrong due to lack of knowledge
b) were u wrong due to lack of time
c) were u wrong due to silly mistake
d) were u wrong due to wrong understanding of concept
e) were u wrong due to marking a fluke
2- where u were not able to attempt
a) was it lack of time
b) was it lack of knowledge
c) was it fear of more time utilzation
3- where u went right
a) u were confident
b) it was a fluke
c) it took more time than it should take
d) it was an intelligent guess with some conceptual backing
4- how much time allocation u gave to each section
a) were there ques which u can solve but was not able to reach that page
b) did u gave too much time to the section u r good/bad on

Now u have a good mix of what concepts u r lacking and once u have given few tests u can easily tell which topic u r good at and which u r not so good
so this will help u in question selection as well will give u direction for further preparation as well

follow this..afer ever 5-6 mocks revisit them..n analyse..

15 days before CAT ..stop with mocks..no tests..just general reading and some problem solving...relax urself ...
D-dAY: jai mata di

my story so far
CAT07 - 96.65 (DI-93.89,QA-87.72:( , VA-95.34)
JMET-AIR-467
IRMA -96%ile with call

there r few mistakes i did..like in the end i got too saturated ..so make sure u dont burn urself out..do relax in between...my perf in the end got affected coz of that
  • 6 Likes  
Hi all,
I am working from 9: 6 and trying to put my consistent efforts for CAT 2008,
Can any one please share his/her experiances regarding how to follow a plan.
Like i have planned to do self study instead of coaching.

Then i am bit confused that how i should procede
like : what part should be covered till feb/March?
: How to make a complete plan till NOV.
: What are key areas to focus upon?

Thanks in advance
Hey Guys, Please Help me
My Scores of CAT are:
OA: 81.74
qa:20.68 :sad:
di:93.89
ver:74.40

I am a Soft. Engg and have a work ex of 3.2 years, average acads but gud extra curricular(some very diversified field), please suggest me some decent college.I just want to do this year only.
I wud be highly thankful

Hey ashish at this %ile not many decent collees will call you, i think you ahould fill welingkar,if you are desperate , my take prepare hard and try again ,because at this amount of work ex , only tier 1 instis can give you value for it.
ATB:thumbsup:
Hey guys.. Pls help me.. My score in CAT 07 was
ps-95.43,
va-96.13,
di-83.46.
temme what all institutes shud i be expecting a call from. I have applied to MDI, UBS, TAPMI, IMT, NIRMA and XIME. Also, i wanted to know when are we expected to get our CAT report cards?

AT this %ile you can expect call from UBS,TAPMI,NIRMA,XIME
MDI (IB), IMT (can get)
CAT report cards will come in FEB:)
  • 1 Like  
Hey guys.. Pls help me.. My score in CAT 07 was
ps-95.43,
va-96.13,
di-83.46.
temme what all institutes shud i be expecting a call from. I have applied to MDI, UBS, TAPMI, IMT, NIRMA and XIME. Also, i wanted to know when are we expected to get our CAT report cards?
Hey Guys, Please Help me
My Scores of CAT are:
OA: 81.74
qa:20.68 :sad:
di:93.89
ver:74.40

I am a Soft. Engg and have a work ex of 3.2 years, average acads but gud extra curricular(some very diversified field), please suggest me some decent college.I just want to do this year only.
I wud be highly thankful
hai if i were in ur position my priority list will go like this
Great Lakes > IMT > IMI > Somaiya > BIM > TAPMI

prepare well with technical n work related questions for Great lakes n try n crack... my heartiest wish was to get an admit in greatlakes n was confident of getting a call atleast but dont know what happened...

anyways ATB to u...
  • 1 Like  
Hi Xtran, Sony007

Thanks for your immediate reply ...

I really dont think , i can be able to get into cream of the institutes.
I m really getting worried .... will I be able to do MBA (Not considering GMAT & executive) if i miss the chance this year ....

yeah Great Lakes & IMT are the institutes i am eyeing for ......apart from that which can be the good inst for me from IMI, TAPMI, Somaiya, BIM?

Sorry to ask personal queries.

Regards
MBA Aspirant 2008

Hi all,

Life is not easy ... sometimes it makes u frustrate when one doest see any opportunities ...... it was the same case with me till December 2007 .... Suddenly it poured different opportunities in my hand ..... & asked me to Choose one .... its really making me more confused ... so thought to take help from 'Working People'.....

My Profile
1) Total Work experience will be 3 years till march 2008
2) Working in Indian IT major since last 2 years & 4 months

I prepared for CAT 2007 & was not sure till result @ the score ......... was expecting around 92-93 ..... So applied for IMT, S P Jain, Great Lakes, IMI, TAPMI, Somaiya, BIM Trichy ....... Meanwhile my onsite travel process started ....... Got 98% in CAT ...... Till now got call from Great Lakes, IMI and TAPMI ..... expecting cal from IMT, Somaiya and BIM ..... & suddenly got to know I have to travel ASAP ....... I have asked my managers i cant go till 2nd of march .....but they were not at all ready for it ........They told me to go on 20th Feb .... somehow i manged to postpone till 5th march ......

Now Confusion in my mind ..... which colleges are good enough to drop onsite opportunity and even lastly the job .... Can you please give ur suggestions?

Regards
MBA Aspirant 2008

hai MBA_asp,
me too working and left company(one of the biggest IT services) as well as onsite opportunity and joined one in my hometown to follow the great Indian Dream for a MBA:)
CAT 2007 was my 2nd & a serious attempt, scored 90.55...was looking forward to GLIM but didnt receive a call...
so i believe u r lucky enuf to geta GLIM call...crack it n go for it...i believe its better than any of the executive programmes... its has lots of industry interaction...
See u join any company in the IT services getting an onsite opportunity is not a big deal... u join as Business analyst n can be deported as onsite -coordinator for Life...

secondly the CAT game is becoming unpredictable year after year... i have seen ppl's percentile dropping (n rarely rising) the next yr when they are working...its really tuff
Try and postpone ur onsite trip... telling all sorts of reason till last week of march n see if u r worthy enuf ur manager will understand that n give u another opportunity...

Hope my 2 cents helps!!
  • 1 Like  

Sorry Double post!!
Hi all,

Life is not easy ... sometimes it makes u frustrate when one doest see any opportunities ...... it was the same case with me till December 2007 .... Suddenly it poured different opportunities in my hand ..... & asked me to Choose one .... its really making me more confused ... so thought to take help from 'Working People'.....

My Profile

I prepared for CAT 2007 & was not sure till result @ the score ......... was expecting around 92-93 ..... So applied for IMT, S P Jain, Great Lakes, IMI, TAPMI, Somaiya, BIM Trichy ....... Meanwhile my onsite travel process started ....... Got 98% in CAT ...... Till now got call from Great Lakes, IMI and TAPMI ..... expecting cal from IMT, Somaiya and BIM ..... & suddenly got to know I have to travel ASAP ....... I have asked my managers i cant go till 2nd of march .....but they were not at all ready for it ........They told me to go on 20th Feb .... somehow i manged to postpone till 5th march ......

Now Confusion in my mind ..... which colleges are good enough to drop onsite opportunity and even lastly the job .... Can you please give ur suggestions?

Regards
MBA Aspirant 2008

Sticky situation eh!!!
Well... I would have been in the same situation, but personally, I might take up the on-site opportunity if its not for the cream of the institutes.

It just boils down to your ambition. You said you were expecting 92 but got 98.... If you think you can improve on it(for the creme-de-la-creme), You might go ahead and aim for the IIMs next year....

Finally its just... what do you want... You should be the one making decision... Either this side or that side...... Obviously, the employers won't be having a nice attitude for someone who is to ditch them for greener pastures...
  • 1 Like  
Hi all,

My Profile

Regards
MBA Aspirant 2008
  • 1 Like  

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

508 people follow this discussion.