SHOW

CAT/Current Job related Dilemma Queries!!

Hi all Though Personal/Career/CAT-Job dilemma thread has been a great success, we have observed that there are good number of puys who end up not posting their query on the thread because they get confused with the name. So, we have dec... Read More »

Hey Puys,

I have major dilemma, I had been on-site for 3 months to Canada in this march till may, the manager there loved my work and initiated talks with the VP to relocate me to Canada. It is still in progress but the process is getting delayed due to some reasons I don't know about. Should I wait for the relocation opportunity or dedicatedly work on my CAT preparations, If it happens the next on-site will clash with CAT exam for sure. 

I have just finished 2 years in mechanical core company. 

Please give suggestions, Last CAT I got 94 perc. So with more hard work I am hoping to reach more than 98. But because of the on-site I am unable to make firm decision. Which will be best option to go for? 

i have two offers in hand .. one is executive operations n research and the other as business development manager.. i am really confused as to which obe shd i choose as ui have further plans of ba.. guys plz help

p.s. both are related to finance ..plz reply asap

bell the cat
International Management Institute, New Delhi

IMI-Delhi, ranked 9th by Business Today Survey 2014 and accredited with prestigious AMBA, SAQs and NBA, among various other accreditations; is inviting applications for PGDM, PGDHRM and PGDM-B&I for 2015-17 Batch.

Apply Now

Know more about Admissions 2015.

Download Now!

Hey Puys I am an electrical engineer working in a steel plant for the past 1 year in maintenance department and have now got admission in TAPMI. I am interested in finance and want to take it up as my specialization in MBA. Please help me clear some of my doubts

1. I want an honest opinion on how is TAPMI for Finance and what are the roles offered in tier 2 B schools like TAPMI for finance Students.

2. Will doing CFA certification help during final placements ?? and is it possible to do CFA certification while doing MBA . I have heard the MBA rigor is too much so want a heads up on weather it is possible to do CFA while pursuing MBA

3. what are the other certifications which I can do to build my profile as I am from engineering Background

4. How difficult it is for Engineers to cope up with finance ??

5. During summer internship what are the roles offered ?? and is it possible for an engineer to do internship in a financial firm with just basic knowledge of finance gained during the first year of MBA

Puys please help me with this doubts and give me some advise about how to go about building my profile and successfully doing my MBA in finance.

• 1\. Mainly sales. But if you are lucky, you may get some .... 09 Jun.
Life begins outside your Comfort Zone
sb29
Shankha Basu @sb29 3.6 k
1. Mainly sales. But if you are lucky, you may get some finance profile
2. Yes. Possible. Have to work really hard.
3. Many finance certifications exist. Depends on your area of interest.
4. I would guess more than 50% finance MBAs are engineers.
5. Ask on TAPMI thread. Yes.
I have 39 months of wrk ex in a Tier-1 IT company...i will b doing my MBA in one of the top 10 bschools..other than front end finance and marketing, will I be considered for other roles from firms like Deloiite,( for Consulting), Amazon (for Operations), Accenture and Cognizant (IT Consulting) etc ? Will such huge experience close the doors for me to get into a different profile ?
Please provide your valuable inputs ....thanks :)

• 1 Like   7Comments
  • IIM K. 06 Jun.
  • Shouldn't be an issue. You will get more info in a months.... 06 Jun.
  7 Comments
Blacker
IIM dreamer @Blacker 13
yeah...:( is that going to be a problem during the summers and finals ??
Blacker
IIM dreamer @Blacker 13
But I had quit my job last May...i am more worried abt that
sb29
Shankha Basu @sb29 3.6 k
Shouldn't be an issue. You will get more info in a months time. Have patience and all the best! Which school are you joining?
i need help .. i have done m .com from d.u. and i have been placed for some small firm which has offered me marketing and sales job ..i am really confused weather i shoold join or not .. cos in long term i dnt want to make my career in this.. n also i want do mba plz help
I have given C.A.T test this year and i am waiting for the result now.I hope that my result will be good
  • wat ... hawwwwww result check nhi kia kya. 23 May.
  • @Thomas2154 bro, are U joking?? CAT results and almost .... 19 May.
PsychicDevil
Joy @PsychicDevil 163
@Thomas2154 bro, are U joking??
CAT results and almost all college results are out..still you are waiting for your results ??
ha ha ha

Would joining share market to get job experience give an edge over others, if I manage to secure a good percentile ? Will it be helpful for me as I am planning to do MBA in Finance.

If yes, then what kind of a job can I look for in share market.

• 10Comments
  • If you plan to go for MBA in Finance then surely Exp in f.... 19 May.
  • What do you mean by joining share market?. 19 May.
Just waiting for the day .... 
  10 Comments
PhoenixScribe
phoenix @PhoenixScribe 5.8 k
You may do CFA and invest small amounts of money to get a hang of it
PhoenixScribe
phoenix @PhoenixScribe 5.8 k
@Huey Make use of the degree you have. Work in that domain. Don't waste your time and effort on low-paying jobs.
Huey
Huey_00 @Huey 885
@sb29 Actually I have talked to some firm that deals with shares, but I havent really talked about what kind of jobs are there. If you have some knowledge about it please share.

However I was thinking I could work with some financial adviser that way I would have knowledge of companies and shares. I was also looking forward to work as a broker, study about balance sheets and all the others things that are involved in the same.
I have done integrated BS-MS program from IISER, so I don't have too much knowledge about all this. But I have interest in Finance sector. That's why I am planning to join a job in share market. Is it wise ? (+ Since I dont have any job experience so far, I was thinking it would serve both my purposes).

@sanchitconfused Which job in share market should I prefer then ?
sanchitconfused
sanchit srivastava @sanchitconfused 5.5 k
If you plan to go for MBA in Finance then surely Exp in finance sector would give you an edge over others .

pls ans my query ? i have tcs offer in hand. but i am thinking of some better job which gives me opportunities to get challenges and learn (like IT Manufacturing and innovative companies). I AM planning to give ELITMUS exam for that purpose .... tcs may call me by the end of july. now my problem is, if i give elitmus on may 25th. and get good result by june ist week. is it possible to get placed before tcs calls. becos if i dont get better one before tcs i cant risk (my acads also good - 90,93,81) - 2014 passed out ... here i have another issue -- i have an NGO society which i am running form one and half month (ofcourse this is started with long term vision) ... now if i cant get job before tcs calls me ... can i leave tcs and say in furthur interviews ( iam sure i can get job before september or october if not july only) that i have wrked in establishing my ngo all these months waiting fr a challenging job ???? do they think i have just strted ngo to cover my gap ?? pls ans .. tnx in adv ..

CAN CAN  
Hi, My Profile X-68%(CBSE),XII-84%(TNSB) B.E(ECE) - 68% 3.2 Years of work experience in Cognizant as a software tester.... I am not interested in software industry.... I have some questions & Dilemma going through my mind...I request experts to advise me on this...
1. I am feeling depressed after scoring a poor percentile of 10 in CAT13, and could not concentrate on my work as well..I am in a dilemma whether I should continue preparing for MBA or shall I leave the option of MBA and concentrate fully on work.
2. I am pretty much confused which career suits me the best...Is it MBA or any other? How can I know what I am best at?
3. I am always very depressed at work after my disasturous performance in CAT. I have lost all my self confidence....How to regain my confidence and concentrate on work as well.
4. I am pretty decent at qunatitative ability...Is there a good career path for the person with qunatitative ability
  • 1 Like  
hi, X-83 , XII -93, b.tech-73,work ex -3 yrs at a KPO ( 1.5 yrs-ops + 1.5 yrs- BD sort of role).CAT didn't crossed 93%ile even in 4 attempts.
I'm liking the BD role ..reporting to the person 5-6 positions senior to me ...i have to search for articles related to areas v r pitching in ...assist in b-plans , a hell lot of reading on the subject area v r pitching into ...but...pay is less + no bonus on a possible project conversion plus.... intervurs (job/b-school)

feel that there's no value add in my exp ...nybody can read stuff & pop it out. Shd i switch back to ops role...but personally i feel that ops is sth anybody can be trained into & the obvious work at KPO's is copy n paste...whereas BD kinda role can bring uniqueness to my profile. I want to get into top 3-4 consulting firm...which looks feasible post MBA from a tier 1 college.M i overestimating the BD profile or is it really worth it in long run..fellas pls help me.

• 10Comments
  • true....but even the low prob can become realty only thru.... 23 Feb.
  • The probability of getting into a top 3-4 consulting firm.... 23 Feb.
  10 Comments
sb29
Shankha Basu @sb29 3.6 k
The acceptance rate (and therefore probability) of getting into a tier 1 school is <1%. Top 4 consulting companies prefer IIT+IIM profile. The top tier school that you will get into will have people with such profiles. So, multiply the chances that you think that they will select you with 0.01 and that should be the probability of the event that you will get into a top 4 consulting company. But yes, p should be greater than 0.
crazyguy07
crazy guy @crazyguy07 1
true....but even the low prob can become realty only thru getting in tier1 college..m i correct?
sb29
Shankha Basu @sb29 3.6 k
The probability of getting into a top 3-4 consulting firm even if you manage to get into a top tier business school is very low.
why does it take C.A.T results so much time to be declared? Other exam results are declared in a shorter span, even though they are paper based

• Reply please !!. 23 Dec '13.
why does it take C.A.T results so much time to be declared? Other exam results are declared in a shorter span, even though they are paper based

Hi,
I have
10th- 80
12th- 70
Grad- 63(Mech Engineering)
CMAT Rank(Sept)- 95,0 Score:243
Work Ex- will complete 24 months in Jan 2014.... (IT in a US based company, in a very hot skill and they may send me Onsite in 2014end or 2015start)(I dont hate IT)

Cant say anything about CAT yet, but still expecting 90-95 %ile
I have filled IMT-G/IMI-D/MDI/

I am thinking of filling Great Lakes(channai and gurgaon) / BIM-T / TAPMI / KJ Somaiya / GIM-GOA
which of these should i fill.
CAT 13: 93.6, Work Ex-2 Years | Calls: IMT-G, IMI-D, Great Lakes-Chen/Ggn | Converts: IMT(389WL), IMI B&I;, IMI-PGDM(WL )
my profile
10---84.33
+2 --- 8.78/10
ug --- 8.01/10
NC -OBC
no work ex
decent extracurricular activities......
what is CAT-2014 score should I get to get into ABC ?

PLEASE HELP me..........

• dont know abt OBC cuttoff, but i assume, 95+ should do. 12 Dec '13.

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

578 people follow this discussion.