About this discussion

Last updated

Author
Monil Ruparel @reachmonil

Tags

Banned on PG? Why??

Hie folks, Have been receiving many queries such as: \- Whats the criteria for banning someone? \- Why was XYZ banned? \- What should we avoid so as not to get banned? Since its a people's forum, I thought its better we have a thre...
Follow this discussion to get notified of latest updates.
Page 33 of 48   

I think things have been explained by Mods as well as others lot of times and what is happening right now is just going around in circles. To end it all, let me make it clear, Mods have clarified time and again and their judgement is trusted upon since they understand the culture of Pagalguy much better than others. So the decision by mods stays as it is and there is no retraction on that. I believe the issue is closed now.

Any more on this issue by anyone, he/she joins the people with Golden Balls list.Any more inflammatory messages, you go there again.

Now let me make the few newbies who are around or people who want to understand why some decisions are not as black and white here.

Pagalguy evolved as a dream. It was all about brilliant,exceptional, average and mediocre people coming together, but everyone strived here for being exceptional. People who were part of it initially, were very particular about the quality here.As more members joined in, the quality got diluted. Partly due to the inability of oldies to communicate the PG culture to the newbies and partly due to inability of mediocre people to transform themselves to exceptional.Some did, and they have created stories. There is a devil inside all of us, but we decided, we will have zero tolerance policy when we are at pagalguy.It was not the responsibility of the mods, but it was of every member who was passionate about Pagalguy.The decision by Mods was based on understanding of this place for a long period of time and the bigger picture.

If you want to learn more, do read this link - Fixing Broken Windows - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia I have highlighted 2 things, which may be the root cause.If you agree with me and want to build on it, you are more than welcome.

And Gantis, since you have reminded us of our duties , I am sure you will carry the torch now and suggest some constructive things, as in how we can make average people exceptional during their PG journey and keep the devil in them at bay.

I will be writing more on this and taking part actively with you all in developing something which keeps the essence of the community intact as well as facilitates new users.

Cheers and let us move ahead.
Rohit

• 22 Likes  
I am not an MBA, hence; I have to use my brains.
Well ive been keeping track of this confrontation for a while now, and i must say that even after apurv's attempts to explain this over and over again, you are just to ready to let go..

Surr did something wrong and has been reprimanded accordingly. Besides its a 2 week ban and not a lifelong one.. he'll be back soon.

And you dont have to get personal. Its not easy being a mod from what i gather, and apurv and the rest are doing a rather good job.(they arnt paid a penny mind you).

Your smiley faced avatar is quite contradictory to your posts:grin:

Keep your precious mouth shut on my avatar. I two pens care for you track or rail on my posts. I raised my voice over an issue where the MOD is found faulty. Thanks for you advice, and i also know the job of a mod. I am working as a reminder for the ones who are unable to do their duties.
  • 2 Likes  
One Year PGPM @ Great Lakes

Post Graduate Program in Management (PGPM)

- 1 Year Fast Track MBA Program

- Accredited by AMBA, UK

- Ranked 7th by Outlook & Business Today in 2014

- Avg. CTC of INR 11.43 Lakhs in 2014

App. Deadline: 30 November, 2014

Learn More

10+ Global Associations with Leading Schools/ Universities

25+ International Visiting Faculty from Stanford, Yale, Kellogg, etc.

50+ National Level Prizes Won by Students in 2013-14

100+ Industry Leaders on Campus in 2013-14

3000+ Alumni Network spread over 28 Countries

Know More
All this time I have been following this thread, I refrained from posting, in the good faith that sense will prevail. But seemingly PG HQ has been very lenient in meting out its replies to you gantis, so I am just going to let it rip:1)Firstly, Pagalguy.com is NOT a democracy or a public listed company. There are no Admin elections and Moderator elections and their service to this forum is done from their own personal time. The moderators and administrators don't owe you or anyone justifications for their actions. Be accepting if not grateful that they have been patient enough to reply to your incessant keening.

2)So, what the banned spend 2 weeks in solitary confinement, in a dark 10 by 10 cell, beaten ever so often, and rarely fed?

No?
Oh, okay.. so a ban means no access to a computer for two weeks?
No?
Last guess... the banned have no access to the internet, right?
Wrong?
So what in god's name are you cribbing about? The "victims" can access any site they want, whenever they like, and don't live in life-threatening conditions, do they? Because the way you go on and on about the ban, it seemed that way to me. I suspect that this is less about the consequences of the ban and more about injured egos of the banned users. After all if one's ego is so fragile that the sign of another causes heartache enough to send PM's to the latter requesting change.. well, what can I say?

Get a little perspective will you? If Pagalguy.com was the centre of their joyful existence, Maybe... just maybe... this ban maybe a good thing... The banned users may finally rediscover the joy of reading paper backs, or will choose to spend the now-freed time in a park, or maybe pick up a phone and call some long lost friends. One lives in hope....
3)Lastly, Pagalguy.com is a community. A community where all members are driven by a common pursuit for excellence in academics to further their career. So when one joins this website, the user makes a deal. While delving deep into the pool of resources provided by PG, the user pledges courtesy and respect to fellow members, moderators and administrators of the forum as well his common sense with regards to posting.

Now gantis, while your allegiance to your banned friend is admirable, please give some credit to the vast experience of the community leaders. These are not self serving dictators you are speaking of. Apurv and the rest spend 90% of their day for this forum and you accuse them of false pride????

Get over it or get out of it.

Here's something for the sake of political correctness. The views expressed in the post are that of the author alone and do not reflect the opinions of the administrators or moderators of Pagalguy.com. Happy?
  • 40 Likes  
Well....i am unable to control appreciating your SHREWDNESS my dear friend Ok. I willnot speak about Surr or anybody. And this might be your last post but, i am sure you would read mine. You are unfit as a mod because your pride and persoanal integrity have come in your way of your judgement. I like your "PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE" ATTITUDE:thumbsup: Well, though i am patient enough to fight for a cause, i am not a fool to beat drums for a DUMB. Please read the book "HOW TO WIN FRIENDS AND INFLUNCE PEOPLE" you need it. And this is a friendly advice.

Remember, i will not let you do this to anybody else:grin:

Well ive been keeping track of this confrontation for a while now, and i must say that even after apurv's attempts to explain this over and over again, you are just to ready to let go..

Surr did something wrong and has been reprimanded accordingly. Besides its a 2 week ban and not a lifelong one.. he'll be back soon.

And you dont have to get personal. Its not easy being a mod from what i gather, and apurv and the rest are doing a rather good job.(they arnt paid a penny mind you).

Your smiley faced avatar is quite contradictory to your posts:grin:
  • 4 Likes  
If it didnt cause him heart-burn what exactly was he doing PM-ing her to change her sig? And why? I find it hard to believe that he had the noble intentions of preventing her from getting harassed by the others. So i checked with Apurv and i'm told that Sur had no such intention. As such, i fail to see why Sur sent out the PM.
IYou are looking at it as 1 person while we are looking at as a mob behaviour. Before Sur's PM went out there was quite a session on SB abt her having attitude wasnt there? Was that necessary?

Ip.s. I've got to post faster!!

Who are you to ask the reason for PMing her: I asked a question in one of my posts. ie., Did he use any abusive or sexy languange which harassed that lady: How can you judge if the person really harassed her or not: If you really have soft corner for ladies, i appreciate that. And then, why cant you join a feminist group and be a social worker: What are you doing on PG: Try to use you privileges properly. Forget about intentions. Try to solve the practical problem. Can you prove if Surr was really jealous: He might be. But, he was called a loser on SB. Also, said that he was posing a threat to female users of PG. Is he a misogynist: Or are you guys PSYCHOlogistS:

You are saying that Surr has atttacked her. Then what did you guys do on Sb: Is'nt that attacking a persons integrity by calling him a loser and making ruthless comments on him:
  • 5 Likes  
For the final time...

Having said that, let me say some things once and for all and I hope you get them...

1. Surr's ban was not a mistake and it will not be revoked.
2. Your appetite for posting the same thing again and again without reading my posts properly does not mean I will post the same thing again and again.
3. This is my last post on this issue.
4. Cheers :D

Apurv

Well....i am unable to control appreciating your SHREWDNESS my dear friend Ok. I willnot speak about Surr or anybody. And this might be your last post but, i am sure you would read mine. You are unfit as a mod because your pride and persoanal integrity have come in your way of your judgement. I like your "PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE" ATTITUDE:thumbsup: Well, though i am patient enough to fight for a cause, i am not a fool to beat drums for a DUMB. Please read the book "HOW TO WIN FRIENDS AND INFLUNCE PEOPLE" you need it. And this is a friendly advice.

Remember, i will not let you do this to anybody else:grin:
  • 1 Like  
You are absolutely correct my dear friend. Do you know if it really caused heart burn: Or, why cant you take it as an advice that people are ganging her with groans: You can take this in a positive manner also. Does Surr groan on any of her posts just becuase of the sig: Though he asked her to change the sig, it was his intention that the lady should not be targeted. She has achieved something which is next to impossible. We all as PGITES should be proud of her. Coz she is a part of our community. Some people targeted her with some clone. Does it attack her personal integrity or, a message asking her to change her sig just to avoid her from recieving 'N' number of groans does it: Did the lady complain about surr: C'mon guys, you've done a mistake. And it is unfair if only Surr gets a punishment.

If it didnt cause him heart-burn what exactly was he doing PM-ing her to change her sig? And why? I find it hard to believe that he had the noble intentions of preventing her from getting harassed by the others. So i checked with Apurv and i'm told that Sur had no such intention. As such, i fail to see why Sur sent out the PM. What the lady in Qs did or didnt do is none of our business. If she's not attending the GD/PI then some other person is likely to get the seat. The fact that we didnt even make it to that round is in no way reason for us to grouse about the fact that she's not going for the process. Shouldnt you be thankful she's already told she isnt??

I remember the first time i gave the CAT, there was this guy who had had calls from ALL of the top10 instis. The directors at TIME told him not to attend the remaining admit process because he had already secured IIM-A. However he was adamant that he would "attend, get the seat and then kick them" Now who would you rather target??

You are looking at it as 1 person while we are looking at as a mob behaviour. Before Sur's PM went out there was quite a session on SB abt her having attitude wasnt there? Was that necessary?

Even i have the same concern:(. Why did the mods stop responding to this thread: Are you people feeling pressurised coz we are supporting SURR: Or , are you silently accepting your mistake by not ersponding: Yar, a mistake has happned and the victim has got more than what he actually deserves. please revoke the ban. Please donot add insult to the injury. We always have repect for mods. And even some of the mods know this fact: I donno why this message is not reaching the people??:
Mods.....explanation please:
Please donot delay until the due date of Surrs ban occurs

I stopped responding because i wasnt well yesterday and left for home early. I doubt any of us is going to feel pressurised or think we've made a mistake. There was a situation and we dealt with it as we saw fit. When RMBT made the first ban, he didnt realise that it went deeper. Once the extent became known, stricter punishment was handed out.

p.s. I've got to post faster!!
  • 3 Likes  

For the final time...

1. Stop beating around the bush and answer my question. Dint you make any mistake by unnecessarily banning surr:

No.

Don't be more loyal to someone than that someone is to himself ;). As I have already said, Surr PM'ed a user to ask her to edit her signature because in his own words, it was causing him heartbreak. This is unacceptable and reeks of encouraging mediocrity on the forum, not to mention that he's intruding into how a user should have his online presence on the forum. That user complained about him to me and I believe to a few more users. Furthermore, Surr accepted this to me once on SB and then on Gtalk and after his chat with me, I accepted one of his requests to edit the reason for which he was banned (I assume he's checked it and knows it). However, at no point did I see any signs of remorse from him. From my chat with him, he completely believes that what he did was right. For a forum that is owned by a Wharton grad and built over the years by admits from the absolute top institutions of the country, this is simply unacceptable behaviour. If you do not agree to that as a deal-breaker standard, I have to say that you are wasting your time on the wrong forum, measuring things by your standards which clearly are not equal to those who built this place. In that case, you are in the wrong place thinking that you are in the right place ;).

As for datkilledme, I would have given him an equal duration ban, but I have specified the reasons why it did not happen. That said, datkilledme has been given enough hell and embarrasment on SB by other users when you were not even present. It is not fair for you to comment on something about which you have absolutely no idea about. You cannot be absent throughout the whole episode and come out like jack in the box two days later and cry murder. Now do we go back in history and do a parity on all bans on the basis of Surr's ban because of datkilledme?

Having said that, let me say some things once and for all and I hope you get them...

1. Surr's ban was not a mistake and it will not be revoked.
2. Your appetite for posting the same thing again and again without reading my posts properly does not mean I will post the same thing again and again.
3. This is my last post on this issue.
4. Cheers :D

Apurv
  • 12 Likes  
I come in peace. Take me to your leader. http://www.twitter.com/apurv
Well, for the simple reason that we can't repeat the same thing again and again. If you have chosen to remain stuck at not seeing the bigger picture, our repeating for the umpteenth time won't help.

Cheers,

A bigger picture: Apurv...what does this mean: My questions are straight forward.

1. Why are you always trying to divert the topic not by responding properly:
  2. Stop beating around the bush and answer my question. Dint you make any mistake by unnecessarily banning surr:
  3. We need some set of rules as in to decide if a member has to be banned or not:|
  4. My post is not for anyone but, its for justice for a fellow PGite.
APURV, be a bit open mided and try to see things in plain glasses. I want all the mods to answer this now.

I am not gonna leave this matter here.
  • 4 Likes  

I believe the creator of the clone (with such an id) definitely deserves punishment worse than just banning for a day. Doesn't he deserve a longer ban, esp. when the others did?

PS : I don't know who the creator of that id is. It doesn't matter.

• 3 Likes  
gantis Says
Even i have the same concern:(. Why did the mods stop responding to this thread:

Well, for the simple reason that we can't repeat the same thing again and again. If you have chosen to remain stuck at not seeing the bigger picture, our repeating for the umpteenth time won't help.

Cheers,
  • 4 Likes  
I come in peace. Take me to your leader. http://www.twitter.com/apurv
My concerns :(
  1. sur definitely crossed the line. I am sure he would be repenting for his deeds. But, my concern is still unanswered. How would admin/MODs justify the degree of punishment given to him? :(
  2. I know it is up to the discretion of the particular MOD to decide the amount/degree of punishment one should receive. However, I believe that one should take the complete picture and then only decide about the degree/level of punishment. In this case, it wasn't and I feel sorry for sur that he should be banned for two weeks which is unfair So should the particular user bear the brunt because of admin/MOD?

Even i have the same concern:(. Why did the mods stop responding to this thread: Are you people feeling pressurised coz we are supporting SURR: Or , are you silently accepting your mistake by not ersponding: Yar, a mistake has happned and the victim has got more than what he actually deserves. please revoke the ban. Please donot add insult to the injury. We always have repect for mods. And even some of the mods know this fact: I donno why this message is not reaching the people??:

Mods.....explanation please:

Please donot delay until the due date of Surrs ban occurs
  • 4 Likes  
I was in PGHQ on Saturday and talked with Apurv about this. I also talked to Apurv when this broke. The problem is that we at PG expect you to be a mature and sensible individual. After all, you are seeking a Post-Graduate degree. As old timers, we've come to expect certain levels of maturity and decency from members. Creating a clone in itself is bad ( but just so you know, one person lost the chance to become a Mod for this very reason) but just to PM another member to change her sig is a completely different matter. It escalates the seriousness of the matter. It troubles us Oldies that stuff like is happening on PG, stuff which is probably expected from teenages who dont know better. I am going to repeat the same thing ad nauseum-- This kind of behaviour is simply not acceptable. We expect better from you.

It definitely is a chance for you to improve yourselves but what does this have to do with revoking the ban? Sur crossed the line when he PM'd her to change this sig. Next year, are we to disallow members from sharing something they've worked hard to achieve?

p.s. Please dont ask who it was who lost the chance. I'm giving my answer right here "No Comment"

My concerns :(
  1. sur definitely crossed the line. I am sure he would be repenting for his deeds. But, my concern is still unanswered. How would admin/MODs justify the degree of punishment given to him? :(
  2. I know it is up to the discretion of the particular MOD to decide the amount/degree of punishment one should receive. However, I believe that one should take the complete picture and then only decide about the degree/level of punishment. In this case, it wasn't and I feel sorry for sur that he should be banned for two weeks which is unfair So should the particular user bear the brunt because of admin/MOD?
  • 6 Likes  
Neo2000 Says
PM-ing a member is definitely NOT a sin. But asking her to change her sig because it causes you heart-burn? Is that fair to the member? Why shouldnt she be proud of what she has achieved?? Combined with the fact that her posts were always being groaned at, one would get the feeling she has been rather unfairly ganged upon no? Is that we do at forums? Gang up on others because they've done well and we havent??

You are absolutely correct my dear friend. Do you know if it really caused heart burn: Or, why cant you take it as an advice that people are ganging her with groans: You can take this in a positive manner also. Does Surr groan on any of her posts just becuase of the sig: Though he asked her to change the sig, it was his intention that the lady should not be targeted. She has achieved something which is next to impossible. We all as PGITES should be proud of her. Coz she is a part of our community. Some people targeted her with some clone. Does it attack her personal integrity or, a message asking her to change her sig just to avoid her from recieving 'N' number of groans does it: Did the lady complain about surr: C'mon guys, you've done a mistake. And it is unfair if only Surr gets a punishment.
  • 6 Likes  
Hi NEO:),

I liked your post. Does PMing a member a sin: I donot feel so. The point behind this conversation is
  1. Did he(Surr) use any abusive or sexy languange which targeted her personal integrity:
  2. Does his message carry a text which harassed her:
  3. I think banning a person or taking any action on an individual should be done if any of above highlighed criteria are achieved:|
  4. So, please take an action which does justice and makes some sense.
Awaiting your next post,

GANTIS

PM-ing a member is definitely NOT a sin. But asking her to change her sig because it causes you heart-burn? Is that fair to the member? Why shouldnt she be proud of what she has achieved?? Combined with the fact that her posts were always being groaned at, one would get the feeling she has been rather unfairly ganged upon no? Is that we do at forums? Gang up on others because they've done well and we havent??
  • 3 Likes  

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

163 people follow this discussion.