About this discussion

Last updated

Author
Monil Ruparel @reachmonil

Tags

Banned on PG? Why??

Hie folks, Have been receiving many queries such as: \- Whats the criteria for banning someone? \- Why was XYZ banned? \- What should we avoid so as not to get banned? Since its a people's forum, I thought its better we have a thre...
Follow this discussion to get notified of latest updates.
Page 32 of 48   
Apurv,
Why should you relinquish the role of the mod if someone else doesnt understand the right point of view?
It sets a very bad precedent for things to come.
All it will do is give a sadistic sense of satisfaction to some who are hell bent on defending anything.
Especially, it gives a green signal to those who want to indulge in such things again and be confident of getting away with it.

@Gantis
No matter what you say to defend Surr's actions, the girl in question was tormented enough and i got a glimpse of that on the iift thread the day the results were declared.

I havent noticed you showing any concern for what the victim went through.
What if bcoz all this rubbish she ends up screwing her interviews n chances of making it to a good b-school?The whole purpose of PG is lost.
In the eyes of the mods Surr crossed the line and he was reprimanded.
The degree of punishment is always debatable and it is upto the Mods to decide and for we to accept.
But you should not try to create the impression that NO MISTAKE WAS COMMITTED by Surr.
A Judge doesnt commit a mistake if he hands out a strict punishment. He commits a mistake if he hands out a less than appropriate punishment.

And when Surr does come back on PG, puys(including the mods) will welcome him to the fold like always. :)

Since you have the luxury of reading all the conversation that took place between Gantis and Apurv , I am surprised at the conclusions you have reached. Gantis has never condoned what happened with Parul, nor has he defended Surr's actions, he has just questioned the arbitrary judgments passed out to different people. As a member who values his role in this community he is well within his rights to do so. I havent noticed you expressing any solidarity with the victim either that does not mean I can accuse you of condoning what happened.

Apurv,

I hope you take your decision back. I hope you realize that Gantis calling you a "psychopath" was just a burst of emotion and nothing else, just as I believe you calling Surr a "sore loser" was a burst of emotion and nothing else. For all the time I have been a member of PG, you have been one of its most respected members and that respect still remains intact. Your contribution to PG has been immense and I dont believe a "minor" controversy like this should cause you to leave PG. I dont think anyone, in the duration of this controversy, has questioned your integrity or your commitment to PG. I believe I speak for the majority when I say that it is time to leave this controversy behind and get on with our aim of making PG a vibrant community, for which your contribution is essential.

Regards
  • 17 Likes  
Apurv,
Why should you relinquish the role of the mod if someone else doesnt understand the right point of view?
All it will do is give a sadistic sense of satisfaction to some who are hell bent on defending anything.
Especially, it gives a green signal to those who want to indulge in such things again and be confident of getting away with it.

@Gantis
No matter what you say to defend Surr's actions, the girl in question was tormented enough and i got a glimpse of that on the iift thread the day the results were declared.

What if bcoz all this rubbish she ends up screwing her interviews n chances of making it to a good b-school?The whole purpose of PG is lost.
The degree of punishment is always debatable and it is upto the Mods to decide and for we to accept.
But you should not try to create the impression that NO MISTAKE WAS COMMITTED by Surr.
A Judge doesnt commit a mistake if he hands out a strict punishment. He commits a mistake if he hands out a less than appropriate punishment.

And when Surr does come back on PG, puys(including the mods) will welcome him to the fold like always. :)

Hello sweetheart......I AM NOT TRYING TO CREATE ANY IMPRESSION THAT SURR WAS INNOCENT. MY ONLY CONCERN IS MENTIONED ALMOST EVERY TIME I POSTED. I AGAIN RE-ITERATE, "MY CONCERN IS NOT SURR, BUT, JUSTICE". AND EVERYONE MUST UNDERSTAND MY MESSAGE NOW. THAT IS THE REASON I AM TYPING IN CAPS:| And why do you people crop in without understanding the concern: What do you think about me: I have loads of people to support me for M.B.A. Co, my manager himself is an XL dude. I think its enough for you . Please think of a solution now
  • 2 Likes  
IMT Open Admissions for 2015

Kellogg India, L'Oreal India, Thomas Cook, Citibank etc. among the top recruiters.

Informed Decisions today leads to Promised Future tomorrow.

Take Your Call Now

Know More About Us!

Download Now
I believe I apologized and took back publicly the words I had used for Surreptitious, not to mention changing th reason of his ban. but I guess the definition of admitting a mistake stretches further than this.

Thanks Gantis, for your title to me. I will always remember this.

It's been 5 years of my association with PG and I think it is time to end. I won't say I have done great work, but yes, I think I've been able to change things in this community and in the B-schooling world.

Thanks everyone, I relinquish all my responsibilities at Pagalguy. All the best

Apurv

Apurv bhai, you also know i started coolly. right: I was waiting for justice. And i dont know you at all:!::!: How can i target you: I am sorry. And, please condone me for what i have done. My intention was, the person who critiscised Surr with harsh words must be considered a pypsychopath:!: I am taking back my words. It was in sheer anger that nobody was understanding my intentions. I am having a hectic day in the office, still posting just because for the love for PG. And if i love PG, then i love the mods too. Ask GNRS or Nikhil how i behave wid them on SB. they always treated me like their younger broother. I felt it like that. Coz, i think i am the only PGite who welcomes GNRS or Nikker wa with a :Splat: Yar, Pm me your mobile number. I will apologise to you personally. Is that ok: Mistakes happen yar. The only thing we can better do is, correct them. Thats all.

I once again apologis eto you APURV. Please take your decision back.
  • 9 Likes  
I believe I apologized and took back publicly the words I had used for Surreptitious, not to mention changing th reason of his ban. but I guess the definition of admitting a mistake stretches further than this.

It's been 5 years of my association with PG and I think it is time to end. I won't say I have done great work, but yes, I think I've been able to change things in this community and in the B-schooling world.

Apurv

Apurv,

@Gantis

And when Surr does come back on PG, puys(including the mods) will welcome him to the fold like always.
  • 2 Likes  

Apurv

Hi Apurv,

Gantis was emotional there as mentioned in his later post. I beg in his behalf to rethink on this and reverse your decision. You have done a commendable job and PG needs you to lead it and us from the front. Please do not cripple PG at this stage of its growth. And, gantis please reply and explain your position. The onus is on you now.
  • 11 Likes  
I apologize one and all if one feels that I have crossed the line in questioning the decisions of the MODs

• 9 Likes  

Momentary lapse of reason - nice Pink Floyd album, everybody should listen
  • 4 Likes  
I come in peace. Take me to your leader. http://www.twitter.com/apurv
Gantis,

I know people have ganged up against you here (Folks, please dont dwell into the words "ganged up" now, it is a very common term used by mods). However, Gantis, I feel you were doing a good job in putting forward your points and persisting with it. However, you indulging in branding people just because people did so, doesn't look good. It would be wonderful if you exercise the diplomacy found in your earlier posts. Moreover, please do take note that Apurv has admitted that he didn't mean to hurt any person and was disappointed with their actions, found in the first post on page 20. And, lets not bring it up again just because some do. Tit-for-Tat doesn't really help here.

I really apologise for hurting people. That was not intentional but, very emotional.Thank you somuch for giving me a feedback,viggy.I promise you. I will never use such term,inology in PG again. My concern was not Surr. The injustice happened to him. I dont mind calling a spade a spade:!: But, the thing hurt me was, apart from understanding my concern, people are groaning. Thats ok. I dont mind people groaning at me. All i wanna say is "If you groan at me, it dosent make any diff. But, if you try to understand my point behind my posts, that will surely make a difference. Diff for PG."
Once again .....thank you VIGGY.
  • 20 Likes  

Honestly, i thot almost the same things. I've been on PG for a long time, and this kind of behaviour pissed me off. I was furious that something like this had happened on PG.
I dont know who made those comments, but man if for all of those things he was a Psychopath i wonder what somebody impartial would call Sur.

At this point i'm beginning to lose interest. You've gone from appealing Sur's ban to talking/questioning about every little action of the Mods.

I completely agree with Neo here. Apurv has done a commendable job in running things at the PG head quarters. Search for pagalguy on google, and the results would speak for itself. And, Gantis, I state again to you and everyone, let us not judge a person based on a single action and Apurv doesn't deserve this treatment. Please read my above post on his clarifying his stands. I hope we stop the character assassinations right here.
  • 13 Likes  
Forget about being an active feminist leader or a champion of the forum. Now, lets think of a solution. form a set of rules mentioning the eligibility of a ban. And my clause is if we tend to do a mistake, then a corretion is needed immediately. It must be applied to the mods aswell. I still have the same question. You have no right to ask a person why he / she PMed someone:!: Your duty is to prevent them from harassing them. Please re-think on it. And dont give tape recorded answers. They donot fit the conversation here.

All....please check the dictionary meanings for "HARASSMENT"

And, one more thing. Surr was called a loser. He was considered a terrorist for female users of PG. Why were those remarks made: Thhis says the person who made the comments is a PSYCHOPATH. I dont mind getting groans. But, puys, when you undergo a similar situation, uyou will understand my emotions behind these posts. one of you might be a victim of siimilar kind in the near future. And i am trying to avoid the pain i am receiving.
THANKS FOR ALL THE SUPPORT. THANKS YOU ALL

Gantis,

I know people have ganged up against you here (Folks, please dont dwell into the words "ganged up" now, it is a very common term used by mods). However, Gantis, I feel you were doing a good job in putting forward your points and persisting with it. However, you indulging in branding people just because people did so, doesn't look good. It would be wonderful if you exercise the diplomacy found in your earlier posts. Moreover, please do take note that Apurv has admitted that he didn't mean to hurt any person and was disappointed with their actions, found in the first post on page 20. And, lets not bring it up again just because some do. Tit-for-Tat doesn't really help here.
  • 16 Likes  
gantis Says
Forget about being an active feminist leader or a champion of the forum. Now, lets think of a solution. form a set of rules mentioning the eligibility of a ban. And my clause is if we tend to do a mistake, then a corretion is needed immediately. It must be applied to the mods aswell. I still have the same question. You have no right to ask a person why he / she PMed someone:!:

You want a solution? And your clause? "How to make Friends and Influence People" anyone?
You are kidding right? I dont have a right? If a user complains that she's receiving PMs asking her to change her sig, i dont have a right to ask why was that PM sent? More so considering this is an Online Forum, where members have the right to freely express themselves?? What she did was well within her rights, what he did was not.

Your duty is to prevent them from harassing them. Please re-think on it. And dont give tape recorded answers. They donot fit the conversation here.

And i wasnt doing my duty by questioning why the PM was sent?? Without questioning would i have known about the groans and the crap that went on SB??? Are you arguing because you have a valid reason or for the sake of arguing?

As for tape-recorded answers, i've been patiently answering your Qs over and over again and all you are doing is repeating them.

And, one more thing. Surr was called a loser. He was considered a terrorist for female users of PG. Why were those remarks made: Thhis says the person who made the comments is a PSYCHOPATH. I dont mind getting groans. But, puys, when you undergo a similar situation, uyou will understand my emotions behind these posts. one of you might be a victim of siimilar kind in the near future. And i am trying to avoid the pain i am receiving.

Honestly, i thot almost the same things. I've been on PG for a long time, and this kind of behaviour pissed me off. I was furious that something like this had happened on PG.
I dont know who made those comments, but man if for all of those things he was a Psychopath i wonder what somebody impartial would call Sur.

At this point i'm beginning to lose interest. You've gone from appealing Sur's ban to talking/questioning about every little action of the Mods.
  • 1 Like  

Hi Folks,

The last few pages have been quite interesting and gantis has pretty much been shunned for whatever he has brought up except for one other chap. This post is not out of sheer debate to help a losing side win but an attempt to make people look at the case more righteously in this democratic setup.

There are quite a bit of developments which have taken place in the last couple of weeks revolving around a single user and the mods have been having a tough time in justifying Apurv's bans. To be more specific, the length of the bans imposed by him and the one-day bans imposed by a different moderator (a good friend of mine...one of the few thinking people I have met in my life so far).

We had a PG meet on the very same day or the next day (this was before Apurv handed out the rest of the bans) of the one-day-ban being imposed on the man who created the clone. Apurv is probably right when he says the entire picture was not seen and hence a light ban. When asked about the reason, as we always have been interested in, the mod who did impose it told me (for the sake of chronological assumptions, this was again before Apurv handed out the bans) that he felt it was sufficient given that he expressed remorse and if he did ever repeat it, he could be banned forever and he still had that option left with him. It did and still makes perfect sense.

And then I learnt that Apurv investigated the matter and found a bunch of people groaning at her. One of whom was a Chennai PGite monsterkartik. And the bans were given following it.

Now, I would like to take a detour at this point and get into the case of monsterkartik (MK from here on), another good friend of mine. MK happened to explain his case to Apurv and so did he asking Apurv for what proofs he had about the conversations. And, Apurv explained that the history of chatlogs is limited and he is relying on the words of more than one of PGites who fall into the "trusted" category. And, later I heard from one of my "trusted" fellow PGite that one of Apurv's "trusted" blokes was the likely mod who ruined his chances this year by creating a clone, as explained by Neo. My trusted bloke claims Apurv's trusted bloke openly admitted that on SB. One more thing about him is holds the record for the most number of thanks given out. For the record, we have to understand that we are working hear-say.

MK's case is not done with. So, Apurv puts the words of his trusted blokes into perspective, God knows what they were...wait a minute....ain't this a democratic setup? Ofcourse the trusted chaps have acted in confidentiality I suppose and so did mine. Speaking more about this trusted bloke is he created a clone, a male who posed as a female and got away with a no-day ban and just a warning. And, the female clone was around valentines day! Man, isn't this stupid? Creating a female clone around valentine's day for some cheap thrill on PG, ________(anyone can do the honours of typing in the history of PG and the values it stands for, enumerated in almost every post apart from Gantis in the last 4 pages).

Now, who decides on the judgements? PG does not have any hard and fast rules. Ofcourse, every post of mine is to be looked at constructively, and do note that its high time PG comes up with a list of rules and guidelines, not exactly like ICC...but atleast a small one start with and additions along the way. That is the most objective way to provide a solution to the problem Gantis has pointed out to. And, ofcourse its a shame that people are trying to shun Gantis completely, and I feel bad for him as he did put forward his case very clearly and was just shunned upon right from the word "post"!

So, let me wrap up the situation with MK. He was handed a 6-month ban after his case was heard. I was shell-shocked...one of the most respected people, a CA in qualification and working at a pay-package most b-schoolers dream to get. This was reduced to 1-month in a days time. Following this, MK had a chat with Apurv, he didn't quiet detail on what transpired on the chat but he told me that the ban has been reduced to a day or two. He's now out of it. MK should be appreciated for having had the maturity and tenacity to explain his case without any heavy headedness. He wanted to make things clear and he got it clear. So, Apurv act in haste more than once? Again, all you fellows, you guys have done a great job with Apurv. My intention over here is not to defame PG but to put forth the problems that exist so that people up there fine tune it and make it a much better place.

This part is for Apurv------------------------------------------------

Why aren't you doing this Apurv? Do you think you have had enough of a chat with Surreptitious? Or do you think you know what his intentions are? I have got to make you realise that you said calling people "nitwits" and calling surr a "sore loser" were against his actions and not character assassination. No person would feel so given the entire context. The problem over here is you do not know his intentions and you have been using the word "heartbreak", as mentioned by surreptitious, way too often (which was also repeated by Neo).

We all hate the Australian cricket team not because they are the best, but because they have too much of an attitude. Every sane person, including the likes of legends like Sunil Gavaskar thinks so. The woman had included in her signature her converts and also that she wouldn't be going for any of the MDI interviews. Unfortunately, Surr has been in the company of people like me who are a bit more matured and try to not showcase their accomplishments in ways unless questioned. He felt it wouldn't be nice if a person puts something like this. For all you know, it gives a very bad impression for CAT 2008 aspirants, which I am sure you would fully agree with. And, do realise that surr is not in anyway a character who would want to ride it cheap on a woman just because she has accomplished. He is a very respectable person, somebody who happened to find my number and call me to explain his case and he did...something which you haven't done.

Apurv's part ends---------------------------------------------------

To wrap up this really long post (kindly bear with me folks but a whole load of things did happen), the words of the mod in my area comes to my mind. He said, "What is the logic behind banning people? It is to make them understand and to make others realise what would happen?" I am sure Surr has realised and people have seen enough of this. I also feel the bans should have been handled in a lot more organised manner and giving 6 month bans and reducing it to a month and then to a day has been extremely illogical. Or what new things came to light?...would be my next question.

Rest left, we have silently forgotten another user just like surr, diablorulez who has converted some of the top institutes in India and was awarded a similar ban without understanding what his intentions were completely.

And, I would like to thank Gantis for his unrelenting effort to explain to people one and all on what actually happened. Man, very few have the tenacity to put forward a point when almost everyone is against you. Hats off!

Cheers to one and all. Again, I would like people to look at this as a constructive criticism and expect a very pragmatic reply. To err is human Apurv...everyone has..you, me, everyone. But, to forgive is divine. But, to forgive is divine. Please take some time to understand what his intentions could have been and relook at the conclusion you have made based on a chat conversation you have had with him.

• 34 Likes  
Who am i to ask?? I am a Mod, Gantis. And a long time member of PG. Or judge?? Because the lady concerned was affected enough to complain. And because we spent time looking into the entire thing. You want to tell me all the incessant groaning and the rubbish that went on at SB is acceptable? Do we just put up with it because of "Freedom of Speech"?? It doesnt work that way. You are allowed freedom of speech as long as you dont infringe on somebody else's rights. Sur had no business sending that PM to change the sig. If it burned him so much, he could have ignored the sig. That would have and Is the mature thing to do.

You think that just because he didnt use abusive language he was not guilty of anything? Didnt he violate her right to a trouble free Online Profile? A right that PG has strived through the years to provide??

So if I champion a forum with respect for ladies i shld join a feminist group and become a social worker?? Nice reasoning dude. I'm thinking i'll probably see you as well in one of the same social worker groups no??

What am i doing on PG? Helping people, encouraging them, giving them my time and experience. I'm helping them up, not kicking them down.

Can i prove Sur was jealous? YES! He admitted that to Apurv.

Is he a misogynist? I dont know. Are we Psychos? I dont think so. Is the Mod faulty? Again, i dont think so and i believe the majority of the junta, with 1 or 2 exceptions, feels that way.

Forget about being an active feminist leader or a champion of the forum. Now, lets think of a solution. form a set of rules mentioning the eligibility of a ban. And my clause is if we tend to do a mistake, then a corretion is needed immediately. It must be applied to the mods aswell. I still have the same question. You have no right to ask a person why he / she PMed someone:!: Your duty is to prevent them from harassing them. Please re-think on it. And dont give tape recorded answers. They donot fit the conversation here.

• 8 Likes  

hmmmm....... a bit heated uppp:nervous:

Where ever there are more than one functions in an entity or organisation or community , it is bound to have certain overlaping areas where each function will have different viewpoints allthough each of them will thnk for betterment of the entity.

The moderators are doing what they are supposed to do ... and Grantis is doing what a concerned user should do(if they see something illogical,irrational etc). Only problem here is a little difference in viewpoint.

Sur did something which the moderators found, to be inappropriate , and hence the ban. Now duration of ban might vary as there is no defined degree of punishment in PG(i hope i am right) . Whereas the same action from Sur is not considered a offence or inappropriate action by Grantis .

Since everybody here are looking for better and smooth running of PG in most constructive way , so it would be really appreciable if no one among us gets personal, and posts with professionalism(it may be formal or informal) in it.

Only solution for this sort of incidents is possibly a written list of things which will invite a ban/punnishment .e.g openly comparing two institues , using abusive words etc.

P.S : if Sur has PMed the lady , asking her to change the signature as it caused him heart burn then personally i feel he sud get some warning or light punishment if he has not done any wrong earlier.

regds,
Sourav

• 8 Likes  
Who are you to ask the reason for PMing her: I asked a question in one of my posts. ie., Did he use any abusive or sexy languange which harassed that lady: How can you judge if the person really harassed her or not: If you really have soft corner for ladies, i appreciate that. And then, why cant you join a feminist group and be a social worker: What are you doing on PG: Try to use you privileges properly. Forget about intentions. Try to solve the practical problem. Can you prove if Surr was really jealous: He might be. But, he was called a loser on SB. Also, said that he was posing a threat to female users of PG. Is he a misogynist: Or are you guys PSYCHOlogistS:
You are saying that Surr has atttacked her. Then what did you guys do on Sb: Is'nt that attacking a persons integrity by calling him a loser and making ruthless comments on him:

Who am i to ask?? I am a Mod, Gantis. And a long time member of PG. Or judge?? Because the lady concerned was affected enough to complain. And because we spent time looking into the entire thing. You want to tell me all the incessant groaning and the rubbish that went on at SB is acceptable? Do we just put up with it because of "Freedom of Speech"?? It doesnt work that way. You are allowed freedom of speech as long as you dont infringe on somebody else's rights. Sur had no business sending that PM to change the sig. If it burned him so much, he could have ignored the sig. That would have and Is the mature thing to do.

You think that just because he didnt use abusive language he was not guilty of anything? Didnt he violate her right to a trouble free Online Profile? A right that PG has strived through the years to provide??

So if I champion a forum with respect for ladies i shld join a feminist group and become a social worker?? Nice reasoning dude. I'm thinking i'll probably see you as well in one of the same social worker groups no??

What am i doing on PG? Helping people, encouraging them, giving them my time and experience. I'm helping them up, not kicking them down.

Can i prove Sur was jealous? YES! He admitted that to Apurv.

Is he a misogynist? I dont know. Are we Psychos? I dont think so. Is the Mod faulty? Again, i dont think so and i believe the majority of the junta, with 1 or 2 exceptions, feels that way.
  • 12 Likes  

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

163 people follow this discussion.