About this discussion

Last updated

Author
Stacy Blackman @StacyBlackman

Tags

Ask Stacy Blackman Consulting

Hi, My name is Stacy Blackman. Since 2001 my firm, Stacy Blackman Consulting, has helped clients gain admission to every top business school in the world. I am happy to answer any of your questions on the MBA admissions process and your speci...
Follow this discussion to get notified of latest updates.
Page 6 of 49   

Hi ish2012,

Unfortunately there is no universal "right" program for a candidate. I recommend you visit each campus and speak to current students, alumni, and the career centers to discuss opportunities post graduation. Career centers are very open with information.

The more data points you can gather, the better your decision will be in the end.

Cheers,

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team
www.stacyblackman.com
Hi aayush_badmash
Thanks for posting. First, I recommend you read this case study of a candidate who pursued a 2nd MBA and was accepted into MIT Sloan:
http://www.stacyblackman.com/business-school-hub/mit-sloan/
For extracurriculars, there are a number of ways you can address this. We have a number of case studies of candidates who successfully did this here:
http://www.stacyblackman.com/case-studies/#Extra-Curriculars
Are there any specific programs you are considering?
Cheers,

www.stacyblackman.com

Hello Stacy,

I am an Indian student holding B.Tech Engg degree and 1 yr work exp. I had applied to few colleges in US for MBA for Spring 2013 intake. Got admits from 3 of them, awaiting 1 decision. Please advice me which one is better in line with pursuing consulting after MBA. Here are the colleges:

1) UMass Dartmouth - Charlton Clg of Business
2) SUNY - Stony Brook
3) Chapman University

and awaiting Uni of Missouri, Crosby MBA Columbia's decision.

Just to familiarize, I have GMAT 660, TOEFL 112/120 and GPA 3.7/4.0.
I am mainly looking for low-budget MBA.
Please advise me.

Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for answering all our queries so patiently,

I am a 2nd MBA candidate and would like to ask you some questions regarding the admissions process and GMAT.

1. I am planning to go for a 2nd MBA in top 10 US b schools ( I have a MBA degree from IIT Kanpur). Can you help with the B schools I should target. I am primarily interested in Management Consulting and Financial Consulting roles
2. What is the average work experience that 2nd MBA candidates have. I am planning to join a US b school after 4 years of experience. Would 4 years be a good exp to make me eligible for those b schools?
3. I am working in a Big 4 audit firm (IT practice) and thus will be in a very competitive pool. My major concern is that i dont get time to get involved in any activities outside office(social work etc) but to the extreme work hours. Can you please suggest things which i can do to boost my profile? and would lack to social service be a negative in my application?

Thanks

Aayush

Hi everyone,

Are there any MBA admissions or GMAT questions we can answer?

Cheers,

www.stacyblackman.com

Hi Ankit.Lost,

You are a strong candidate. Remember that admissions teams will look beyond your numbers, and will also be considering your recommendations, personal essays, work experience, and more.

If you'd like, we have free school specific advice and tips on Stacyblackman.com.

Cheers,

www.stacyblackman.com

Hi rainbow86,

You have a strong candidacy. The biggest challenge you will face is differentiating your candidacy in a competitive talent pool. I recommend you read this case study of how one candidate was able to differentiate himself through leadership experience and was accepted into a top MBA program:

www.stacyblackman.com/comprehensive-services/case-studies/case2

We also have school specific advice and tips on Stacyblackman.com.

Cheers,

• 1 Like  
www.stacyblackman.com

hi Stacy ,

I am doing BE from India n i'm in my final year will be finishing off with my engineering by july 2013 . I want to go in management with no or less technical stuff so was preparing for GMAT recently i heard that one need mini. 2years of work ex to get top 40 universities. Is it true? n can v go for management thru GRE ? n what will are the job options aftr i finish off with my PG ? please repl asap

Hi Stacy,

I have been working in a petrochemical major for the past 2 years (will be 3 years for the 2013 fall intake). I did my engineering form one of the top 12 engineering institutes of India. My profile is as follows:
Graduation percentage: 78.6
Extracurriculars :
1. Volunteered in Help Age India. My job was to create awareness ans to assist in raising funds for the care of the elderly.
2. I was also the advertisement co-ordinator in Reunion in College.
3. I did some fund raising job in the Art of Living.
What is the best MBA program I should opt for which is related to my field?
I am looking for to do MBA from US,UK,Singapore etc.

Hi Stacy,

It'd be great if you could evaluate my profile:

GMAT 750(50, 41)
Acads:
GPA - 8.32(National Institute of Technology Karnataka)
10th : 88.2
12th : 88.4

Work ex - 3yrs.
Worked for a couple of years with Cisco.
For last one year working with a leading IB.

Extracurriculars:
Held positions of responsibility during Engineering.
Have participated extensively in debates and dramatics events.
Am an artist, have a keen interest in designing. Designed the desktop calendar for the firm i am working for.
Voluntary work.
Setup a computer education facility in a remote village in Rajasthan.
Collaborated with the CSR wing of a local industry in the village, to provide continued education to the students of the government school.

Achievements at work:
Drove the release of an entire module. Engaged with the customer to address deployment issues and saved him costs on hardware. Resulted in a multi million dollar deal.

Career goals.
Want to build a career in consulting. And want to get into aviation consulting in long term.

Schools that I am looking at:
ISB
Ross
Tuck
Darden
Insead

Could you suggest if the school choice is realistic. One of the major concern while choosing school is an international loan program without a consignee requirement. Could you suggest other schools that i should look at..?

Thanks,
Ankit

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

182 people follow this discussion.