About this discussion

Last updated

Author
Ryan P @Neo2000

Tags

Ask a Consultant! - GMAT/GRE Only

The GMAT section's been growing rapidly over the past few years but I'm sure you already know that. Unfortunately, it's becoming tougher for individual contributors to keep pace. Fortunately, a lot of consultants have been coming up to help! So as...
Follow this discussion to get notified of latest updates.
Page 6 of 213   

Hi..

I wrote GMAT few days back and these are my unofficial scores.

GMAT-710 (QA-50, VA-37, IR-7)

Background:
1. PGDM from Indian Institute of Management (IIM), Lucknow (CGPA 7.2/10)
2. B.Tech from National Institute of Technology (NIT), Allahabad (CGPA 8.1/10)

Work-Ex:
1. 3.5 years Pre-MBA work-ex at Steel Authority of India Ltd as a Jr. Manager
2. 1.8 years Post-MBA work-ex at Asian Paints as a Manager

Take on GMAT, actually I prepared for CAT 4-5 years back and scored 99.5%, so it was not a problem.

I feel that 710 is not a great score, and I can reach upto 760+ levels with a preparation of 2-3 months. But, I am looking for admission into a PhD course, and am not sure about the cutoff levels or the relevance of GMAT score for the same. Thus, I would be grateful if someone can guide me regarding this or refer me to a proper forum where someone may answer my concerns.

Thanks

• 4 Comments
  • Thanks for replying.. my motivation is purely love of aca.... 10 Jan.
  • Hi @jasthana9 , Yes we can sense that by looking at your .... 15 Jan.
jasthana9
@jasthana9 1

Thanks for replying.. my motivation is purely love of academics and possibility of doing something meaningful...

ThePrincetonReview
Manya Abroad @ThePrincetonReview 476

Hi @jasthana9 , Yes we can sense that by looking at your unofficial GMAT score, despite of having such a busy schedule.You have great potential and we would like to guide you with your queries and preparations.

Would it be possible for you to share your contact information with us. We can arrange a call for you with one of our expert counselor who would be able to help you with all your queries in detail. And you can also ask further questions. You can inbox us your number. Look forward to speaking with you. www.manyagroup.com

Set of 9 books for GMAT prep available for sale in Bangalore. Ping me for details.

• 6 Comments
  • What is the cost ??. 05 Jan.
1 Year to Transform Your Career - Great Lakes PGPM

Post Graduate Program in Management (PGPM 2015-16)

India’s leading One Year fast track MBA program for candidates with 2+ Years of work experience.

Application Deadline(Extended): 31st Jan. 2015

Apply Now

-Global Faculty and internationally benchmarked curriculum

-Accredited by AMBA, UK (PGPM & PGXPM Programs)

-Ranked 7th by Outlook & Business Today in One Year MBA Programs (2014)

-Ranked 10th by Business India in Top B-Schools (2014)

-Avg. CTC of INR 11.43 Lakhs p.a. for PGPM 2013-14

Learn More

Tip for Applications:

Describe a defining moment in your life, and explain how it shaped you as a person. (300 words maximum)

This question is an attempt to get to know you, the person. The previous questions are professionally focused. Use this essay to present a different side of you. Don't write about work and your professional goals here.

Tell a succinct story of that defining moment. What happened and what was the impact on you? How has that event influenced you going forward? How is your behavior, your life different because of that moment?

Veritas Gurgaon - 9810801887 

Hi,

I am planning to apply to US B schools in 2016. My details are:

JEE rank - 1569

B.Tech (IIT-Delhi) - 8.7/10 (Major: Chemical; Minor: Management Studies)

M.Tech (IIT-Delhi) - 9.1/10 (Major: Chemical)

Volunteer Experience: Limited

Extra cirrcs: Swimming, Fest organisation in college, Student Mentorship, College Journalism (awarded by college), etc.

Scholastic achievements: 2 lakh scholarship for M. Tech research from Sartorius, student exchange to NTHU taiwan for IIT, 2 internships (1 reserach internship in Italy, 1 R&D internship at Biocon Ltd.)

Work ex: 6 months in KPMG Advisory Sevices Pvt. Ltd.

GMAT: 720 (August,2014)

Can you please advise what should be my strategy for the next one year to apply in the most efficient way as possible. Is there any angle missing in my profile for getting scholarship and admissions to top B schools?

• 3 Comments
  • Hi Apurva, you haven't mentioned your career aspirations.... 09 Jan.
  • @ThePrincetonReview KPMG Advisory Sevices Pvt. Ltd. is a.... 09 Jan.
ThePrincetonReview

Hi Apurva,

you haven't mentioned your career aspirations and your job role as well. You should focus more on extra curricula activities and taking up more initiatives at work.Let us know the above details about your profile in order for us to guide you well. www.manyagroup.com

apurvamanvar
Apurva Manvar @apurvamanvar 1

@ThePrincetonReview  KPMG Advisory Sevices Pvt. Ltd. is a consulting firm, I work as a consultant. Post MBA too I would want to continue working in consulting!

Hi, I am planning to apply to US/UK B schools in late 2015/2016. My details are:

Work Experience - 15 months at Opera Solutions LLC (www.operasolutions.com)

B. Tech - 9.1/10.0, M.Tech - 10.0/10.0 (IIT Kanpur)

12th - 94.75 %

10th - 94.20 %

GMAT (Dec 2014) - 740, 8/8 IR, 6/6 AWA

Target schools for me are HBS, London Business School, INSEAD and Wharton. I also have a admit from the ISB through their YLP programme for the class of 2016/2017. Can you please advise what should be my strategy for the next one year to apply in the most efficient way as possible.

Thanks!

• 6 Comments
  • Hi Puneet, You academic profile seems exceptional and s.... 09 Jan.
Mission Fontainebleau-ON! || About me - Strategy Consultant | The Doon School | IIT-Kanpur | LSE | ISB-YLP | GMAT'15-740 | XAT'15-99.92%ile 
ThePrincetonReview

Hi Puneet, 

You academic profile seems exceptional and so is your GMAT score. As far as the schools which you have mentioned are concerned I think your work experience would be a bit on the lower side specially for schools like LBS and INSEAD wherein the average experience of the class is around is 5-7 years. Also they generally prefer students to have some kind of international exposure. Harvard and Wharton again would be highly competitive and you need to show a lot of leadership potential, team ability and strong extra curricula achievements.Hope this information helps.Let us know if you have any further queries and we would be happy to help. www.manyagroup.com

Hi Guys,

I was looking up university and I wanted answer to one of my questions. Is switching between different campuses of the same university after one year of MBA possible? If yes, what are the main criterias these universities have? There is one university - University of Illinois that has two campuses - one at Urbana champagne and second at Chicago. If I seek admission in Chicago campus this year, how easy or tough will it be to switch to the Urbana Champagne campus after an year if I have a good GPA in first year?

• Hi Deepanshi, Switching between campuses in programs lik.... 09 Jan.
ThePrincetonReview

Hi Deepanshi,

Switching between campuses in programs like MBA is tough. It is at the discretion of the university so you will have to consult the university on the same.Let us know if you have any further queries. www.manyagroup.com

Hi. I'm targeting GMAT for the year 2016. Would be very much obliged and advice on this.

My profile:

20 years old, Male

10th: 91%

12th: 82.33%

Grad: 79.8% (till 7th Semester)

B.Tech in Electrical and Electronics,IIIT Bhubaneswar 

Work Experience: Still in engineering last semester

Extra-curriculars: Nothing of importance

I am planning to take the exam in June/July

Q1: Do I stand a chance to get into any one of the top US B-Schools with this profile? What should my GMAT score be, to this end? (CAT 2014: 95 Percentile (Just for some reference))

Q2: Any possible areas where I can strengthen my profile?

Thank you.

• 6 Comments
  • Hi Lipun. Are you targetting for only GMAT or for both GM.... 09 Jan.
ThePrincetonReview

Hi Lipun. Are you targetting for only GMAT or for both GMAT and admissions in 2016? For you to be able to apply to top most of the 2 years programs in US schools, a minimum of 2 years of work experience is required. You could also look at getting involved in extra curricula activities like some kind of voluntary experience. Its too early to comment on your candidature for the top schools. You should try and aim for 700+ to be able to apply to decent colleges. Let us know if you have any further queries and we would be happy to guide. www.manyagroup.com

Hi Puys!!

I am here for a profile evaluation. Please help.

Below are my details-

10th- 82% CBSE

12th (Science stream)- 74% CBSE

Bsc. (General) - 67% from Delhi University (off-campus college)

Extra Curricular- Nothing under my belt

Work Experience- 5 years but have not reached any managerial position

I am 26 currently and the main reason I am looking for an MBA is a career change. I was earlier thinking of appearing for CAT but it seemed I was too old for it. So I think GMAT is the one for me but  as I have never been active in extra curricular activities , have no volunteer work experience and a very average academic record I want to know can I get a really nice college from where I can expect giving my career a very very good head start with such a profile through GMAT. If yes, what is the minimum score required for that. Also I am working somewhere and I am confused about whether to leave my current job and focus entirely on GMAT  or keep my job going as a backup and start preparing simultaneously. I know that my profile is below average and there is nothing positive in my profile but I have been thinking (and only thinking) about doing an MBA as I can this can lease a new life to my career. Also I want to go for a year program rather than two. Please suggest if that will be fine or not career wise.

Thanks!!

• 1 Like   8 Comments
  • Hi Shruti, 1 year programs are mainly available in UK/E.... 09 Jan.
  • Though not an MBA consultant, but a few points based on m.... 09 Jan.
ThePrincetonReview

Hi Shruti, 

1 year programs are mainly available in UK/European countries and your experience fits their requirement. It is all dependant on how you project your application. Also try and focus on your GMAT score to help offset your academics as well. Try targetting a score of at least 650 and apply in the 1st rounds to take advantage. A lot of students prepare for GMAT while working so I would advice you not to quit your job.Let us know if you have any further queries and we would be happy to help you. www.manyagroup.com

mba9999
Saikat Lahiri @mba9999 349

Though not an MBA consultant, but a few points based on my experience of GMAT and apping for schools.

1) Don't quit your job just for GMAT prep.You should be able to prepare for GMAT along with your job. It will be tiresome and frustrating sometimes but keep hitting at it. Leaving the job opens a lot of unnecessary questions that you might have to answer to adcoms.You might want to avoid that.

2) Choose the schools that you want to apply to and note down their dates for application submission and work backwards to get a date for your GMAT exam. I would suggest to leave ample time between your GMAT date and application submission date. This will enable you to write your apps in peace and also might give you some time if you wish to re-appear for GMAT in case the first scores are not as per your liking.

3) A coaching might not be necessary so gather some info from your peers or acuaintances whether you will be able to prep yourself. If you can have self-discipline, i don't think a coaching class is needed.A lot of materials/experiences are available on PG, join one of those threads and get started.

4) Stop procrastinating and start introspecting on why you need an mba? This will help you write the essays and SOPs for various schools. Be honest in what you want.

5) If you are planning to apply to IIMs  then ensure you are aware about the current happenings around the world and ofcourse in India, maybe touch base upon a bit  of high-school level maths. Knowing about current happenings will also help for foreign schools' interview  if you wish to apply there...Good luck!!

Hi. I'm targeting GMAT for the year 2015. Would be very grateful if someone could share their perspective, feedback, and advice on this.

My profile:

23 years old, female

10th CBSE: 94% | 12th CBSE: 92% (doesn't matter but anyway)

Grad: B.Tech in Computer-Science from Tier-1 University, 74.64%

Work Experience: 18 months working as a Software Developer with a major tech corp. as of December 2014 (completing 2 years in June'15)

Extra-curriculars: *Plenty*. Good footprints in theater, music, writing, public-speaking, organizing events, Baseball etc. and social-media branding, marketing, and management. Some noticeable entrepreneurial work during college years (won 2 international awards). Good online visibility as a writer.

Internships: A 6-week marketing internship (good numbers to show as measure of contribution) in IIM-A and 2 months of table-turning social-media-management work during early college years for a startup (some other silly/bogus tech internships too)

Volunteer-work: None as of writing of this post

I am aiming for Round 1. Planning to take the exam by March/April (any suggestions on this?) to have enough time at hand. 

Q1: Do I stand a chance to get into any one of the top US B-Schools with this profile? What should my GMAT score be, to this end?

Q2: Should I take up volunteer work to improve on that aspect? Feels like a cheat doing so but yea, what kind of work would stand out?

Q3 (Somewhat less related): How exactly do Indians cope with the exorbitant expenses overseas? Loan and then re-paying after getting a job? How easy is it to get?

Many thanks.

• 4 Comments
  • @noobexpert \- Hi Sugandha, Nice to have you here on the .... 03 Jan.
  • Hi Sugandha. Whether you have a chance to get into a top .... 09 Jan.
mba-help
MBA Decoder @mba-help 1,530

@noobexpert - Hi Sugandha, Nice to have you here on the forum!

let me directly answer your questions:

1. Two years of experience is a little less for the US b-schools. Its going to be 3 years by the time you matriculate. I would say you need to achieve a lot in the next 6-10 months to have a fighting chance. The average age at most b-schools is about 4 years. 

2. yes, you should get involved somewhere- anything that interests you, but where you can make some serious impact- It doesn't have to be teaching children or organizing blood donation- but do think about what goes best with your personality and where you would like to contribute. Extra curriculars help you show your multi-faceted personalities and give you a chance to talk about your leadership capabilities outside of work. So they are essential, specially for the top b-schools. 

3. The way to go is by taking loans- you can take them in your country or if the school where you get admit has a non-US cosigner requirement, then from the b-school. Scholarships are few and far between, and not a guarantee.  But a score running upward of 750 may help in getting the scholarships. 

Namita Garg

http://www.mbadecoder.com

ThePrincetonReview

Hi Sugandha. Whether you have a chance to get into a top school or not cannot really be commented at this point of time since I assume you are looking at Fall 2016. You havent mentioned your job role at this tech corp. It is very important to distinguish yourself from the rest of the applicants and to avoid falling in the same IT applicant pool. You extra curriculas can definitely help you to set yourself apart but your work experience is something which will be scrutinized in greater detail in terms of leadership, team management, iniaitive taking ability etc. So try taking some iniaitives at work to take up more responsibility. Voluntary experience you can try and get involved but remember only being a volunteer wont help. Try and take up iniaitives there as well and become more than just a volunteer. As far as expenses are concerned, any US business schools costs from 60-80 Lakhs for 2 years. Students in a lot of cases rely on education loans and also scholarships from the school. Scholarships from schools are merit based and dependant on how much you score in your GMAT and how you project your application. Some top B schools also have no cosignor loans for international but it is completely at the discretion of the school and not all students get the same. You can also look at external scholarships like Tata and Narotam Sekhsaria which can help you out.Hope this information helps.Wish you the best. www.manyagroup,com

Techniques for MBA Essay Success:

1. Use Vivid Verbs

2. Avoid using Passive Voice

3. Get rid of flabby writing

Veritas Gurgaon - 9810801887 

Hi, I am planning to write GMAT in March 2015, my details are:

Job experience- 15 months in Accenture

Btech - 7.02 CGPA

12th - 68 %

10th - 85 %

I have average academic scores, I want to apply with the GMAT score in Top B Schools(Only in India), please suggest me the colleges where I can apply to for 2015 MBA. Also what should be my target for GMAT Score to crack Tier 1 college.

• 12 Comments
  • Hi Gunjan, TIER 1 schools generally accept GMAT scores fo.... 05 Jan.
  • what is the hurry? If you are looking at top B Schools on.... 05 Jan.
ThePrincetonReview

Hi Gunjan, TIER 1 schools generally accept GMAT scores for international applicants for their normal programs. The ones which accept GMAT are for their executive full time residential programs like IIM's etc but which require minimum 5-7 years of experience. As Kinjal pointed out most of them are already over. Other than that you can look at Great Lakes Institute in Chennai which has its deadline somewhere in Jan.Let us know if you have any further queries and we would be happy to help. Wish you the best. www.manyagroup.com

ivyctor2010
ivyctor 2010 @ivyctor2010 918

what is the hurry? If you are looking at top B Schools only, you should consider working for a little longer before applying. 

GMAT score 610 Q49V25. II attempt

Work Experience 4 yrs . Production field. Worked in OEM.

BE(Industrial and Production Engineering)70% Govt College

XII 81%

X 79%. Both CBSE board.

Academics

Selected for Apprenticeship in batch of 72 students in college for OEM college.

Won award for paper presentation in college annual fest.

Won 2nd position in English Paraphrasing in class 12th.

Won 2nd position in computer quiz in class 12th.

Extra Curricular

Won 2nd position in table-tennis competition in college.

Event Manager for annual tech fest in college.

3rd position in softball competition in school.

1st position  in Judo competition in school.

Computer Prefect in school.

Please evaluate my profile for admission in Indian B schools and also foreign B schools.I have to take admission this yr. Thanks in advance.

• 26 Comments
  • You can look at schools like UT Dallas, SUNY Bufalo, Mich.... 08 Jan.
ThePrincetonReview

You can look at schools like UT Dallas, SUNY Bufalo, Michigan State University, Case Western Reserve for Supply Chain/Operations Management. For Engineering Management hardly any school accepts a GMAT score as mostly this program comes under the Engineering school. www.manyagroup.com

hey consultants can you please evaluate my chances of getting into a good b-school in india or abroad with the following profile:

10th- 73.4%(CBSE)

12- 78.6%(CBSE)

grad- 58.37%(DU-Cor.)

Chartered Accountant(First Attempt)

Will be completing my M.Com from IGNOU in June 2015

3 certificates of National Stock Exchange of India

Have won national level singing competition at school level.

Will have appx.3 years experience by the time I apply to B Schools.(Including over 2 years of Managerial level experience and also have 3 months of international experience)

Targeting a GMAT score of 700+

Planning for the 2016 intake.

Kindly Reply.

• 5 Comments
  • @karanca : First of all, forget about chances and college.... 01 Jan.
  • Hi Karan As far as your educational background is con.... 02 Jan.
kinji.at.pg1
Kinjal Das @kinji.at.pg1 27,944

@karanca : First of all, forget about chances and colleges, get your GMAT out of the way. You should target 2016 intake - class of 2018. Frankly, your grad score is very low and if you target US B school, only grad score is considered. Your Class X and XII scores will not be considered. @ManyaAbroad suggested, you need to target 720+ score to balance out your low grad score. Just focus on GMAT as of now.

ThePrincetonReview

Hi Karan

As far as your educational background is concerned it is pretty good. You haven't mentioned your career goals which you need to also a little more clarity on your work experience would be beneficial in listing down schools. The work experience you have mentioned was it a part of your article ship? If not then it might need some justification of changing jobs very frequently.

GMAT to be accepted for NITK MBA from 2015

Applications are invited to the 9th batch of MBA programme by Dept. of HSSM, National Institute of Technology Karnataka Surathkal, Mangalore.

NITK Surathkal is an institute of national importance with a legacy of over 50 years, and has a 300 acre fully residential campus with the Arabian Sea on its west border and the Kanyakumari-Mumbai highway passing right through the middle,  and accommodates over 4500 students pursuing UG, PG and doctoral programmes.

Eligibility:

Graduation: Candidates must be a graduate in any discipline with minimum 60% marks or 6.5 CGPA (For SC/ST it is 55% or 6.0) from a recognized institute/university.

Test scores: CAT 2014 or GMAT

Last date for applications: 12-01-2015

Total Institute Fee: INR 1,54,100 

Total Hostel Fee: INR 77,500 (for Boys) or INR 81,500(Girls)

Total Intake: 64 (Reservations applicable)

Admission notification:

http://www.nitk.ac.in/mba-admissions

Official Facebook Page:

www.facebook.com/mba.nitk.surathkal

For more details, discussions and queries kindly visit the Official PG Thread:

http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/nitk-mba-2015-2017-admissions-official-thread-30381526

National Institute of Technology Karnataka, Surathkal - PaGaLGuY
National Institute of Technology Karnataka, Surathkal - PaGaLGuY
National Institute of Technology Karnataka , Surathkal - Read 2,099 posts, connect with 529 users, follow 12 discussions and stay updated about admissions, students & alumni of NITK, NITK Surathkal

Pagalguy

• 1 Like  
Beryl Thomas, Public Relations Cell, NITK MBA

Hi,

I have a GMAT of 750 but a low AWA(4.5).

B.tech is from Nit  (8.84CGPA)

Xth:91.2

XIIth : 96.8

Work Ex : 12 Months(Training)

6 Months (Business Development)

M looking to apply in India, Singapore, Europe and US...kindly suggest universities for the same

• 1 Like   3 Comments
  • Hi, your work ex is still on a lower side. If you are loo.... 31 Dec '14.
  • Also, we must admit that your overall profile including a.... 31 Dec '14.
CAT XII:98.72 CAT 13: 92.46, CAT 14: 99.39 
ThePrincetonReview

Hi, your work ex is still on a lower side. If you are looking at applying abroad, work ex of 2 years or more is almost a mandatory requirement. Lately, even Indian B schools give more weightage to students with work ex. You have got a good GMAT score and it is valid for 5 years. We would advice you to hold onto your GMAT score and work a bit more on your profile before applying. Let us know if you think this helps or if you have any other queries. 

ThePrincetonReview

Also, we must admit that your overall profile including all scores is very good and should help you stand out from other applicants. 

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

8093 people follow this discussion.