PaGaLGuY's Prepathon

Get access to great test material and prepare with friends! For CAT, IBPS, SSC-CGL and more!

Download for free.
About this discussion

Last updated

Author
Ryan P @Neo2000

Tags

Ask a Consultant! - GMAT/GRE Only

The GMAT section's been growing rapidly over the past few years but I'm sure you already know that. Unfortunately, it's becoming tougher for individual contributors to keep pace. Fortunately, a lot of consultants have been coming up to help! So as...
Follow this discussion to get notified of latest updates.
Page 6 of 350   

Hi, I have 5.5 years experience, 2 years in top US IT MNC , then did my MBA from LBSIM Delhi (CAT 93 percentile), post that 3.5 years in Top US MNC in Insurance broking with a profile of Key Account Management....i am planning to give my GMAT now and plan to do a 1 year executive program from a top institute (India or abroad)...i am interested in sustainability but don't see many 1 year programs, moreover as my experience is not related to sustainability will that be a disadvantage?

• 1 Like   7 Comments
  • Manya...are there 1 year programs for normal mba? as far .... 06 Jul.
  • @GmatAspirant23 Hi, for sustainability you can look at B.... 07 Jul.
GmatAspirant23
@GmatAspirant23 1

Manya...are there 1 year programs for normal mba? as far as sustainability is concern the interest is certainly there and i am confident of justifying it but as desert ice said that there are very few jobs in that area...i definitely want to get an ROI. Also i am trying for a good score but getting confused day by day on what next 

ThePrincetonReview
Manya-The Princeton Review @ThePrincetonReview 578
@GmatAspirant23

Hi, for sustainability you can look at B schools like Berkeley Hass, University of Michigan An Arbor, George Washington etc. Manya-The Princeton review (http://goo.gl/hpmXBk)

Hi I'm currently not eligible for executive MBA because of my age

I am a partner in a firm that manufactures precast concrete blocks. Have been working there for the last 3 years. I did my graduation in civil engineering from swansea university, UK. I haven't really performed well academically after school. I just wanted to know whether I should be thinking about Executive MBA or not.

• 1 Like   8 Comments
  • Haha :smiley: they were some suggestions ... maybe you .... 06 Jul.
  • @codename2601 Hi, Rishabh with 3 years of experience I w.... 06 Jul.
prepzone
Prep Zone @prepzone 150

Haha they were some suggestions ... maybe you can expand into a new vertical then

ThePrincetonReview
@codename2601

Hi, Rishabh with 3 years of experience I would recommend you to apply for regular MBA (2 years). You should target for a higher GMAT score of 700 at least to suffice for the lower undergrad.

I have recently taken the GMAT and scored a 670. This was my first attempt and I know I can do much better but I am afraid that the schools I am thinking of applying may consider my multiple attempts a bad thing.

Consultants please help!

• 1 Like   5 Comments
  • Hi Sanjay, if schools weren't open to looking at both sco.... 04 Jul.
  • Dear @singh.sanjay If you are confident of scoring a bet.... 04 Jul.
prepzone
Prep Zone @prepzone 150

Hi Sanjay, if schools weren't open to looking at both scores they would make that clear on their websites but the reason one can write the exam 5 times a year and every 21 days is because schools understand that candidates might want to write it another time and if the score is progressive then its a job well done from the schools' perspective. I hope this helps. Thanks

mentorstone.com
MentorStone Education @mentorstone.com 6

Dear @singh.sanjay  If you are confident of scoring a better score, we would advise you to take GMAT again. This will certainly not looked at negatively. A strong GMAT score def. adds a lot to your candidature. All the Best www.mentorstone.com

Hi, My profile is as under:

Xth-85% CBSE, XIIth- 96.5%, Graduation: B.Pharmacy from BITS-PILANI, 7.9 cgpa.

4 years experience in IT Industry, 4 years experience as Admn Officer with a PSU. I am in a dilemma whether to apply for PGDM/FPM programs of B-Schools and am yet to take GMAT.

I want some inputs on the suitability of my profile to FPM/PGDM courses and what GMAT score should i aim at to get through these programs.

Thanks for the help

• 1 Like   8 Comments
  • Hey all.. Thank you very much for the help.. 07 Jul.
  • Most FPMs have a very dubious reputation and are not reco.... 12 Jul.
deepthi_818
@deepthi_818 7

Hey all.. Thank you very much for the help.

Ernet-IIMAhd
iimahd ernet @Ernet-IIMAhd

Most FPMs have a very dubious reputation and are not recognised. Go for PGDM with 740+ score

Hi, I have 10 Yrs of IT experience as product manager/Business Analysts. I want to pursue my MBA or PhD from good B school from USA. I want some guideance & input for choosing the right school(name).Which B school are the right chose for me and GMAT score required to get admission .

Below are my details-

Educational Qualification-

10th - 77 %

12th-67%

BTech-70%

Post Graduate Diploma in IT from IIT Kharagpur-6.67CGPA.

Professional Experience-

9.5 years of comprehensive experience in  New Product Management  in  Big Data & Analytics, Mobility, Business Intelligence, Data warehouse, Conceptualization Idea's into POC, Business Analyst, Pre-sales, Competitor Analysis and Market Research.

Profile at a Glance-

§Demonstrated ability to adapt multiple domains & work environment.

§Managed high value projects from various domain & technologies like BFSI, eGovernance, Mobility, Analytics, Big data

§Exemplary track record in Product Management - Managed complete product line, Defined products roadmap, features for new & existing product .

§Responsible for end to end delivery and deployment of  POC's, Products and  Software application development.

§Responsible for undertake Product Requirement Gathering and performed Gap Analysis.

§Responsible for preparation various artifacts as part of requirement gathering/Elicitation [Product Backlog, User Stories, BRD, FSD, PRD, Use Case Document, Traceability Matrix document].

§Comprehensive experience in Project Management and Estimation (FPA): Scope, planning, Function Point Analysis (FPA) for estimation, execution, control & tracking, risk management, vendor management, Creating SOW, Project Plan.

§Responsible for providing response to RFP/EOI/RFx as part of Pre-sales.

• 1 Like   12 Comments
  • @Umediitkgp Phd is much more competitive than an MBA. Ple.... 05 Jul.
  • If you are looking at a PhD then please note that every s.... 06 Jul.
mentorstone.com
MentorStone Education @mentorstone.com 6

@Umediitkgp Phd is much more competitive than an MBA. Please target a GMAT score of 730+ for PhD. I would suggest that you take GMAT first and then shortlist schools for MBA ( if MBA is what you want to do!)

All the Best

www.mentorstone.com

prepzone
Prep Zone @prepzone 150

If you are looking at a PhD then please note that every school has only certain specific topics under which they grant funds for research. Furthermore, each school only has 2 - 3 candidates researching on those few topics hence its more competitive. Additionally, most funded PhDs like at least 2 published papers in International journals preferably so ensure you work on this as this is a mandatory prerequisite. Finally over 720 in the GMAT will give you the competitive edge you need to get in, good luck! Thanks  

Why MBA and not any other Masters degree out there? What concentration? Why now?

What GMAT score is a good score? Is 6** a low GMAT score? Do I need to retake my GMAT exam?

How much work experience is a good work experience?

Does one particular work experience weighs more than the another? I only have couple years of experience?

What to write in my essays? Do I need to be a team lead or manager or a star performer to get into a b-school of my choice?

Who to ask for recommendations? Manager, Peers, Clients, Vendors ? Not sure!!!

How to shortlist from hundreds of business schools out there?

What business schools look for in letters of recommendation? Who should I ask to write my LORs?

How to prepare for the interviews? How do I know if a interview really worked in my favor?

Is paying visit to a school prior to getting admit a good thing?

What should I expect? What should I prepare myself with? How can I impress? What is a good time to start applying to B schools?

Is Round 1 any better than consecutive R2 or R3 deadlines?

I have a 3 year degree. Are there schools that accept a 3 year degree vs a 4 year? What are my options?

Got admitted but No scholarship or financial aid? What are my options?

Got admitted, what are my options?Can I defer?

These were some of my questions 9 years back when I applied to B Schools in the USA. What's on your mind???

Hello MBA aspirants

Quick introduction of myself. I am a resident of Austin Texas and a proud Penn State alum!!!
I graduated from Smeal College of Business, Penn State, Class of 2013 and have been helping since then students like you to achieve the USA MBA dream. Over the years, I have been actively involved in recruiting students out of campus for Internships and Full time MBA roles as well.

By the way "there are no dumb questions"

Good luck with admissions!!!

Hit me up or send a private message on PG if you have related questions. Happy to help. Thanks

• 2 Likes  
Anshul Sharma   

Hello I'm a aspirant of GMAT and would like to take GMAT 2015. I'm currently in my 4th year B.Tech, 7th semester. What are my chances as a fresher getting into a premium b-school around the globe. Say i have scored 720 or a very very good score to qualify into one of the top 20???  I'm awaiting replies.

• Hi Anmol, most top business schools globally have a 3 yea.... 01 Jul.
  • @nikfire Hi Anmol, MBA requires minimum 2 years of exper.... 02 Jul.
prepzone
Prep Zone @prepzone 150

Hi Anmol, most top business schools globally have a 3 year minimum work exp. requirement and in fact most of these schools have a 5 year work exp. average. Since you have no work experience, you are looking at a Masters in International Mgt or Business (MIM / MIB) which is designed for fresh graduates. For me to tell you if you can get into the top 20 schools for the MIM / MIB , I will need your 10th, 12th, up to Bach marks along with extracurricular activities. I hope this helps. Thank you

ThePrincetonReview

@nikfire

Hi Anmol, MBA requires minimum 2 years of experience therefore you are eligible for the MS in management related courses. In case you get a GMAT score of 720 and work on the application theme in a good way you have good chances of getting an admit. http://www.manyagroup.com/

Hi

I have given my GMAT twice my score improved from 690 to 710. I have been working in IT consulting since 2012. From the past year I am in EY. My academics is decent (80+ in 10th 12th and 70+ in undergrad). 

I would like to know which colleges should I apply for MBA. Also does profile make a difference or is it only the GMAT score?

I had applied to colleges last year, but did not receive many calls. (Had written my applications on my own)

This year, should I take help for writing the applications. If yes, then any suggestions for the same?

• 4 Comments
  • Hi Akanksha, You have a good profile and good GMAT score.... 01 Jul.
  • @AkkuMitt Hi, Akanksha in case you did apply the last ye.... 02 Jul.
desert_ice
desert ice @desert_ice 15

Hi Akanksha,  You have a good profile and good GMAT score. You need to carve out insightful stories from your professional and personal experiences to be noticed by the admissions committee. A lot of Indian, IT professionals apply to MBA programs, so your application should distinctly stand out from the crowd. 

Are you planning to apply to Indian or to international MBA programs this year? Working for EY would definitely improve your application. However please note that the world of strategy consu

ThePrincetonReview
@AkkuMitt

Hi, Akanksha in case you did apply the last year I would suggest you to take help with the applications and get the previous ones reviewed as well. For a successful MBA application both GMAT and Work profile go hand in hand. A good GMAT score always helps add value to the profile.

http://www.manyagroup.com/

Dear sir/madame,

I need a review for my profile.

I am looking for an Executive MBA from India preferably (abroad will be my second preference).

Tenth: 88% ICSE

Twelfth: 80% ISC

BE in Electrical Engineering from IIEST, Shibpur (formerly BESU, Shibpur): 70.53%

Work Experience: 5yrs (on Sept'15) from a reputed MNC with experience in Industrial Automation Engineering.

I would like to know which course will be more relevant for my profile & which colleges will be best for these courses. I would also request you to provide some informations regarding the GMAT exam.

• 1 Like   8 Comments
  • @bluebird2 Hi Saurav, I would like to know a little mor.... 30 Jun.
  • My job profile includes engineering and commissioning of .... 30 Jun.
ThePrincetonReview
@bluebird2

Hi Saurav,

I would like to know a little more about your work profile before suggesting any program. But as far as the minimum criteria are concerned for the executive programs you need 5 yrs of experience, which makes you eligible to apply.

bluebird2
Saurav @bluebird2 2

My job profile includes engineering and commissioning of industrial automation system in the metals industry (mostly steel plants). During engineering, we design & develop the electrical automation system; which is generally office work. Once the designing part is over, we go to the sites (steel plants) for commissioning. Commissioning includes running the system developed by us and demonstrating the customer the full process, troubleshooting any problem, and make the plant fully operational. The plant is handed over to the customer. Depending on the volume of the project, the team strength is determined.

Need some guidance on courses in institutions based out of US to supplement my 6 year+ IT experience in banking industry. After graduation, I wish to work in a similar area but a different role - Business Analyst/ IT Project Management/Software architect. I have no interest in marketing, HR fields of management. Although, I would prefer getting trained in finance, I am not interested in moving into trading, fund management and other facets of financial industry. Score in GMAT is 720.

• 1 Like   3 Comments
  • Hi Rahul, hope you are well. You could look at MIS as @IS.... 29 Jun.
  • @rhlvig Hi Rahul, I would recommend you that with 6 plu.... 30 Jun.
prepzone
Prep Zone @prepzone 150

Hi Rahul, hope you are well. You could look at MIS as @ISBmantra.com  said or you could look at MSc. in Bus Analytics as well. As you stated you might not be interested in Management currently so an MBA might not supplement you the way you'd like. If I have misunderstood that then you should also look at MBA in Tech Mgt ... I hope this helps. Thank you

ThePrincetonReview
@rhlvig

Hi Rahul,

I would recommend you that with 6 plus years of experience you should go for  an MBA program rather than applying for MS business Analytics/ project mgmt etc. With 720 score you can target schools like Rochester Simon, Chicago Booth, Ohio State etc. 

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

8574 people follow this discussion.