About this discussion

Last updated

Author
Ryan P @Neo2000

Tags

Ask a Consultant! - GMAT/GRE Only

The GMAT section's been growing rapidly over the past few years but I'm sure you already know that. Unfortunately, it's becoming tougher for individual contributors to keep pace. Fortunately, a lot of consultants have been coming up to help! So as...
Follow this discussion to get notified of latest updates.
Page 6 of 202   

Hi,

I am planning to apply for MIS/BA courses for Fall 2015. By that time i will have around 5 years of experience into IT.
Initially i made up my mind for pursuing masters for Fall 2015. But one of my friends did raise a question which i too think is valid. Hence i am posting my query here and looking to get some help from anyone who has knowledge for the same.

Looking at the class profile for MS, on an average candidates fall under the category of 2-3 yrs of work exp sometimes even less. I dont know how many fall under my category i.e around 5 yrs of work exp. My query is that for internships/jobs, do most companies have a criteria that they are looking only for freshers or candidates with < 3 yrs of experience?

Will my work exp create an issue for searching internships and jobs after masters.

I don't know whether my concerns are valid but this thing is stuck in my mind and i would really want some clarification to keep concerns at bay.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Shikhar

• hello,i don't think your job experience will do any matter... 17 Oct.
aryanpawar
aryan pawar @aryanpawar  

hello,i don't think your job experience will do any matter..

Hi All,

I have my gmat exam on 15 of this month and I am taking kaplan gmat premier 2013 test series. I scored 710, 650, 740 in three tests. I wanted to know how reliable are these tests to gauge my preparations. Please suggest.

Also, kindly recommend any other test except gmat prep. Regards.

• 14 Comments
  • The more you expose yourself to REAL GMAT questions. The .... 13 Oct.
  • @gorweedious Gunjan -- my recommendation is you take the .... 13 Oct.
Psychodementia
Arun Jagannathan @Psychodementia 5,486

The more you expose yourself to REAL GMAT questions. The better your chances of cracking the real test are. Trust me on this!

Psychodementia
Arun Jagannathan @Psychodementia 5,486

@gorweedious Gunjan -- my recommendation is you take the real GMAT. Being a perpetual GMAT student will not help. Remember that studying for the GMAT has diminishing returns i.e. after a point you really cannot do much. That is the truth. Honest!

Admissions open at Goa Institute of Managemnet

Studying at GIM will change you; transforming you into a competent leader. A learning experience based on Ethics, Diversity, Innovation, Research and Social Sensitivity, specifically designed to launch you into a rewarding and successful career.

Apply Now.

Learn more about us.

Start Downloading

PLEASE GUIDE ME IN WHICH 5 B-SCHOOLS TO SELECT DURING  GMAT EXAM

PROFILE : 

Class X : 86.67%

Class XII: 84.4 %

B.Tech : 8.93 CGPA ( Chemical Engineering in NIT Rourkela)

WORK-EXP : Indian Oil Corporation Limited ( more than 4 years in oil &Refining sector , with project experience)

Others : Involved in CSR -IOCL, have certificates for event organizers during college tech-fests

TARGET GMAT Score : 700

TARGET COURSE : MBA ( 1yr /2yr) , Supply chain Management /Operations , or general management

After an initial study through various universities websites and my topic of interest, ROI and tuition fees , My selected universities for which i will applying in no particular order

1 . ISB, Hyderbad

2.University of Texas , Austin (Mx combs)

3. Michigan (Ross school of Business)

4. University of California, Berkley(Walter A. Haas School of Business)

5.University of Michigan-Ann Arbo

6. Georgia Institute of Technology-Schuller College of Business

7.University of Illinois-Urbana Champaign

8.Texas A&M University, mays Business School, College station

9.NUS

10.University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill

11. Yale school of Management : ( Bit too costly )

12. Darthmouth :Tuck school of Business(Bit too costly )

Please help me in selecting 5 schools out of the above , with GMAT score of around 700 and my interest area.Also please suggest if any other college I skipped which is worth applying for.

Thanks !!

• 6 Comments
  • Thanks @ISBmantra.com. 09 Oct.

which coaching institute is best to prepare for GMAT in indore

Looking for a course in Supply Chain Management. If there is a course which help me specialize in SCM along with MBA, it will be great. It can be in India or Abroad. My Academics background: 10: 79%, 12: 79%, B.Com: 64%. Professional Qualification: CA,CS.

Work Experience: As of Feb 2015, it will be 3 yrs in which 2 yr was at Logistics Co and 1 yr at Big 4.

Please suggest some college in which I should apply?

Note: GMAT is due in Nov 14.

• 9 Comments
  • Hi Amit, This year we have been seeing a surge in the n.... 07 Oct.
  • Thanks Namita for the response. Yes, by Ivy League I mean.... 08 Oct.
mba-help
MBA Decoder @mba-help 1,390

Hi Amit, 

This year we have been seeing a surge in the number of applicants who are applying from an operations background. Frankly, we are loving it!

Now let me ask you - What do you mean by  Ivy League?  FYI, Ivy League is a consortium of 7-8 colleges and it was formed way back as a sports association. Some of these colleges also have an MBA program, such as Wharton, Harvard, Cornell, Yale, Columbia and Tuck, so these are the Ivy Leagues.

I think you are using the term interchangeably with the  top b-schools. If this is the case, then you just need to be informed. 

If you are thinking of applying just to Ivy Leagues, then it may not be a very good strategy as all of them are not known for their supply chain programs, with the exception of Wharton. 

Instead, look at the these programs which are known for their SCM - MIT, Michigan University- Broad School of Management, Arizona Carey, Fisher,  Krannert (Purdue University), Tepper and Ross.  I can not comment on how competitive you will be at any of these b-schools because the information you have provided here is limited, but I tend to agree with ISB Mantra's view that you will need a solid GMAT score to be in the standing for the top b-schools. 

Feel free to share your resume/linked in profile with us at contact@mbadecoder.com and we will be willing to pass on more tips to you.

Namita Garg

http://www.mbadecoder.com

amit11289
@amit11289 3

Thanks Namita for the response. Yes, by Ivy League I meant Harvard and other colleges of US; by top b-school I meant schools situated around the globe. I am looking forward to do supply chain management as it is my family business. However, my priority is to do MBA to develop business skills. I am also sending you my resume at the mentioned ID so you can have evaluate further and pass more tips.

Guys, i need some help and guidance here to choose between GMAT/GRE EXAM. I am preparing for GRE exam to pursue MBA. is that a good option or not? also i am targeting Europe/UK for MBA, which is the better option? Also, what is the scope of MBA from Europe/UK and what about job placements? i have 5 yrs exp in IT industry. Please advise.

Also, how good are MS colleges in Germany? any thoughts on that side will also be helpful.

hi... can any1 guide me... i did my PG in english literature in 2006... now i want to do MBA from a reputed institute... any suggestions.. advice?

• Are you looking for advice on CAT accepting institutes or.... 06 Oct.
  • Hi @neha2014! Since you completed your PG in 2006, we wou.... 06 Oct.
ivyctor2010
ivyctor 2010 @ivyctor2010 886

Are you looking for advice on CAT accepting institutes or GMAT accepting institutes? For GMAT accepting B Schools, you will need to have work exp. 

ISBmantra.com
ISB mantra @ISBmantra.com 1,430

Hi @neha2014! Since you completed your PG in 2006, we would like to assume that you have a decent amount of professional experience, without which, any good school will be difficult. You may apply to the one year programs at the IIMs, to ISB and/or to top schools abroad, depending on your GMAT and your profile. The schools through CAT may not be of any value to you. 

All the Best!

'ISBmantra / EssaySunday Consulting'

@MansieDewanConsulting@mba-help - I plan to give my GMAT on the 16th of October. Please let me know which colleges in US can I target for R1 and some good options to try for R2 in US.

I have 4 years of experience into IT sector with international exposure. I have more than 85% aggregate in both 10th and 12th standards.

In extra curriculars I have won accolades in debates, group discussions, drama competitions and singing competitions as well.

Please let me know the score I should target and if you can provide some good colleges in US to target for R1/R2; with good chances of scholarships as well.

I am also inclined to ISB and INSEAD apart from the colleges in US.

• 1 Like   5 Comments
  • @nams_007 \- Naman, what about your career progress and a.... 02 Oct.
  • @mba-help \- Namita I have mentioned in my previous post .... 02 Oct.
mba-help

@nams_007 - Naman, what about your career progress and achievements? The picture is incomplete without we know more about that, as well as your extra curricular achievements.

Namita Garg

http://www.mbadecoder.com

nams_007
naman sindwani @nams_007 5

@mba-help - Namita I have mentioned in my previous post above about the onsite exposure and the extra curricular like Group discussions, debates, organising annual day and fests in college. Accolades in drama and singing competitions. In my current job, my designation is a team lead where I am leading a team of 20 people. Do these achievements and career progress make a good profile? If not, please mention what all shall be included or what makes a good profile?

Hi Experts/Consultants,

I am preparing for CAT '14/XAT '15 and aiming for IIMs and other top institutes like SP Jain, MDI, FMS, XLRI, XIMB, only. However, in the worst case if I don't get a decent percentile to manage calls from the above institutes; I am planning to appear for GRE next year. I am currently working in family business of pharmaceutical company and have a total of 2 years of work ex. Kindly suggest the ideal time for GRE preparation, considering the fact that I am well prepared for CAT '14. Also, when should I take GRE to get admission around July-Sept?

TIA

If you can meet with triumph and disaster,  and treat those impostors just the same!  

Hi All,

I recently appeared for the GMAT and scored a 750 (Q 50, V41) on my first attempt. I received an AWA of 4.5 .

I have a total of 5 years of experience working for two different IT companies. I have been in the financial domain throughout working in core banking implementations and business analytics.

Would need advice on what kind of college can I apply to in India. Also what kind of scholarship can I manage in case I apply and get selected for some US program. I cannot afford the fees for US schools on my own.

• 2 Likes   3 Comments
  • Hey Namita, filled up the form at your above mentioned li.... 27 Sep.
  • Hello Soham, great GMAT score. In Asia, do look at NTU, N.... 04 Oct.
soham_gmat
Soham Dutta @soham_gmat 3

Hey Namita, filled up the form at your above mentioned link. Also, would like to know what kind of programs are there in Asia outside India which are highly ranked but aren't as expensive as the programs in US.

ivyctor2010

Hello Soham, great GMAT score. In Asia, do look at NTU, NUS and HKUST besides ISB.

Hey! consultants.....i have a gmat score of 710 4+ years of work ex in project management at mining location Btech gpa:9.07 KIIT BBSR, 12th:75% 10th 86%  Post MBA:Supply chain management.....what are my chances at ISB,NUS,NTU?What is the expenses at US Bschools(tutition+living)..........also your thoughts on Singapore Management University for my profile 

• 1 Like   7 Comments
  • @ivyctor2010 ......thanks for your input.I am also planni.... 08 Oct.
  • it would be difficult to give you any random figures here.... 08 Oct.
nitesh1
Nitesh Dubey @nitesh1 4

@ivyctor2010 ......thanks for your input.I am also planning for US Bschools.Can you tell me what is living+transporation+job search expenses in USA for a 2 year program

ivyctor2010

it would be difficult to give you any random figures here..Suggest you visit the B  School's website to get an understanding...

I would be really grateful if someone could help asses my Profile :

I am an ERP Consultant in IT with 4.5 years of Experience. My GMAT Score is 700 and I have not given TOEFL/IELTS.

My Academic Credentials are pretty average.                                   10th - 76, 12th - 64, B.E - 70

I have extensive Volunteer Experience in Teaching , Voter Awareness Campaigns and Campaign Management.

Have won competitions at National and Collegiate level , Also awarded for a documentary on Problems faced by poor children in Govt Schools.  

I am interested to apply in US but I am really confused with which US Schools I should go for in Round 1 and Round 2. 

I would be grateful If someone could shed some light on this and help me.

• 3 Comments
  • You score is good and you should definitely look at Schoo.... 25 Sep.
  • @Nomad007 \- Hi Vishal!! R1 or R2?? Baffles many applic.... 27 Sep.
ivyctor2010

You score is good and you should definitely look at Schools like CMU, Ross, Mc Combs, USC Marshall etc. For a more detailed discussion, you could get in touch through the PM

mba-help

@Nomad007 - Hi Vishal!!

R1 or R2??

Baffles many applicants! 

We suggest you use both the rounds - a lot of b-schools are already over their Round deadlines, or will be getting done with them by mid October, which may not be feasible for you. But if you can make a push for the b-schools that have their deadlines after/around October 20th, then you should try to hit two b-schools in the next 2 months. Spreading your time between both these rounds is always a good idea so that you can put in your best effort into the applications.

Do reach out to us for a free consultation.

Namita Garg

http://www.nbadecoder.com/mba

I am an Indian but I am applying to IIMs and SP Jain and XLRI through GMAT.. I don't have work ex but I completed MS from USA. I know that SP can take 680 around for marketing. But what score is safe for IIMs..I can apply to Shillong, Udaipur, Rohtak. Please suggest.  What other top 10 B-schools can I apply to? Thanks.

• 1 Like   4 Comments
  • you should have at least 3 years off expr I believe. 06 Oct.
  • Thanks!. 06 Oct.

Has anyone made a list of globally top 20-30 schools, with their specializations and application deadlines? website links etc

Can somebody throw light on the kind of documents one needs to gather before applying to any foreign university ??

I could not get a consolidated info. on this.

• You need to refer to the university site to get more deta.... 22 Sep.
kinji.at.pg1
Kinjal Das @kinji.at.pg1 27,111

You need to refer to the university site to get more details. As far as i know GMAT/GRE score, TOEFL/IELTS score, transcripts and essays. 

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

7774 people follow this discussion.