About this discussion

Last updated

Author
Ryan P @Neo2000

Tags

Ask a Consultant! - GMAT/GRE Only

The GMAT section's been growing rapidly over the past few years but I'm sure you already know that. Unfortunately, it's becoming tougher for individual contributors to keep pace. Fortunately, a lot of consultants have been coming up to help! So as...
Follow this discussion to get notified of latest updates.
Page 51 of 213   

I have taken my GMAT exam recently and scored 590 (Q48 v24).I have work-ex of 1.4 yrs at Infosys.10th - 92%12th -78%B.E 7.69/10I know that my GMAT score is low and I can get a better score if I give it an another try but I really don't have time for it.So please suggest me few good bschools for MIM or good finance course which suits my

Gmat scr

Hi,

I am a qualified Chartered Accountants. Currently working with one of Big 4 consulting firm in accounting/audit/finance profile with a 3 years of post qualification experience. I had average scores during my academics. Had participated quite few CSR activities organised by employer. As such, I don't have extracurricular activities on my biodata. On some of project, i did lead the small teams. I am eying to do MBA from any of good institution (India/Outside India).

I have started preparing for GMAT. Please evaluate my profile for getting into good college/institution and help me how can i improve my chances of getting in.

Thanks,

Shyam

2 people answered this question.
4 Comments
You can view the comments after answering or skipping this question.
Fore School Of Management, New Delhi

FORE School of Management brings you the first edition of TEDxFORESchool on the 31st of January, 2015.  Click below to get your tickets Now!

Book Tickets Now

To know more about us, download our brochure.

Download Brochure

Hi,

I am planning for second MBA but not now. I am planning it for may be after 6-7 years but I wanted to get my profile evaluated and start working on problematic areas. I also wish to change my speciliaztion from finance/marketing to HR if possible.

10th: 75.8%(CBSE)

12th: 78.2%(CBSE)

B.com (P): 53.92% (DU- Regular College)

PGDM (Finance & Marketing): 5.3/8 CGPA

Work Ex: Just 7 months now in Vehicle Finance NBFC as Management Trainee (Sales & Project Management"Temp")

Plans: CFA & FRM Certifications, Support to NGOs

Extra Curicular: ZERO

Desired Profiles: Finance & Marketing: Branding/Research/Risk Management

HR: Training & Development/Recruitment

Desired Schools: IIM(A/B/C) (Monetary Constraints)

Please suggest the right way for the desired profiles... any other suggestions are more than Welcome!

• 3 Comments
  • @nibsdc Yes, I will be able to pay upto 25L. Here, i mean.... 24 Dec '13.
  • @Gaharwar1989 I didnt get U? will u be able to pay the fe.... 24 Dec '13.
Never settle down for less...
Gaharwar1989
Shashwat Gaharwar @Gaharwar1989 30
@nibsdc Yes, I will be able to pay upto 25L. Here, i meant that due to money constraints i would not be able to try institutes outside India.
nibsdc
nibzz sdc @nibsdc 145
@Gaharwar1989 I didnt get U? will u be able to pay the fee for IIM A B C?

@chinnu444

dear consultants,

i want to join in mba after my b.tech

Depends on your work X. if you don't have any then it is better to go for a masters. MBA will only benefit you after you have had some experience to draw from. Thats why most of the good schools needs more than a few years of experience. ( not a consultant BTW)

Hi please evaluate my profile.

Profile summary

GMAT - 680-700(expected)

Undergrad-67%

12th -70.2%

10th-70%

Never been a student with stellar academics scores, but always an all rounder

Internship's

1. Om shiv shakthi iron ore- supply chain intern --4.5 months

2. Hive -in - founded by a friend worked on their marketing strategy.-- 7 months

3. Sureka Enterprise- A firm which develops electronic components for Indian army

Was responsible for designing of components-- 3 months

Full time work experience

1. BeHungry.in - Start up.

Working on this project for the last seven months

Extra curricular

1. Co- founder and chief organizer of an NGO (infinity squared)

-grew the organization from 8 to 300 people in a single year.

- working on various cause since last the last 4 years.

2. Rose to become the head of the student body representing over 8000 students.

3. Managed a team of 80 members initiated and organized events for 10000 students which included performances by renowned bands like akcent, kailasa etc

4. Chief placement co-ordinator at college

Responsible for organizing campus placements

Miscellaneous

* Avid graphic designer for some 3 years done a bit of free lancing

I want to apply for mba in 2014, but I'm dicey about the chances of admissions by applying to the round 3

Suggestions on the way forward and the universities i could get into with this profile will be greatly helpful.

• Hi Mani3615, You have a decent profile with good extra cu.... 24 Dec '13.
Anoop.iitr
Anoop Kumar @Anoop.iitr 14
Hi Mani3615, You have a decent profile with good extra curricular. Based on your profile I would suggest you to target b schools like Georgetown University (McDonough), Duke (fuqua), UNC (Kenan Flagler), ISB and Emory. I would suggest you to apply next year in round 1-2 but you can apply to 1-2 b schools in round 3 this year. Hope that helps. If you want to have a detailed discussion on your profile and school selection you may also PM your details. Cheers!

Hi... I need your serious help! First, I'll put up my profile -

I am presently working with SBI as Assistant Manager (or Deputy Branch Manager) since last 3 years, and has CAIIB (Certified Associate of Indian Institute of Bankers) certification, a Company Secretary professional degree i.e. in the Final level left with 2 subjects..

Total work ex - 4 yrs

10th - 89%, 12th - 88% B.Com Hons frm DU (65%)...

Also served as Vice HEad boy and Head boy in school, president of my college...

1 International level prize (Model United Nations Conference), 1 national level and many other co curricular activities...

I have few prizes to show at corporate level for sports like badminton, TT and for some other competitions ..

many projects undertaken being in bank, discharged CSR from my organisation's side..Also have worked with a NGO voluntarily

Now the issue is I appeared for GMAT on 16th dec and scored mere 610 (QA - 45, VA - 28) ...Though I am planning to take coaching and reappear in Feb or March, can you please suggest me any good enough B school in ASIA in which I can apply with this score and profile? I am in real dilemma!

Thanks in advance

• 7 Comments
  • Try SMU Singalore. But again the GMAT Score on lower side. 19 Dec '13.
  • Please help!!!. 19 Dec '13.
kravindran7
Karthikeyan @kravindran7 151
Try SMU Singalore. But again the GMAT Score on lower side

Hi,

Please evaluate my profile for MBA. I am interested in MBA from outside India.

B.Tech from IIT Guwahati 2011. CPI 7.39/10
Xth 90.2%.
XII 90.8%.

Will have around 3 and a half years of experience by next year when I would be appyling.
Worked for 9 months at Yahoo! and the rest at Amazon.

I play and watch lot of different sports, but nothing to really show on paper in terms of extra curricular. Any suggestions to improve this area would also help.

• 3 Comments
  • I have worked at Yahoo for around 9 months, where i worke.... 18 Dec '13.
  • Amar, I understand, you are yet to take the GMAT? A good .... 18 Dec '13.
amar.nihant
Amar Nihant @amar.nihant 2
I have worked at Yahoo for around 9 months, where i worked as Software Engineer. At Amazon, I have worked in two teams, where I have been mostly an individual contributor and not managed any teams. I have worked on some interesting projects and as key contributor in some of the projects and I can gather recommendation from my managers for the same. I will look to join a NGO, around next year and start preparing for GMAT in parallel. How are my chances?
mba-help
MBA Decoder @mba-help 1,530
Amar, I understand, you are yet to take the GMAT? A good score, above 700, would be a requisite to open up a great range of b-schools to you.

You have not mentioned anything about your work experience- what was/is your role in these two companies? What is the quality of your experience? Have you taken any initiatives at work/ led teams etc.? These will be important elements that you will use in your essays next year. If you have not got this experience, then get started on building it. The good thing is, you have a year in hand.

I have the same advice for the your extra curriculars- watching sports is not the same as playing them, and it does not amount to anything!

B-schools highly value volunteering experience (when done seriously), so I think, you should spend the next one year getting involved with an NGO and doing some real good work there.

Would be happy to chat with you to help you develop your profile better.

Namita Garg.
MBA Decoder

Hi,

Please evaluate my profile for MBA :-

Passout of VIT University in 2007 -- GPA is 7.5

Have currently 6.5 yrs of IT experience.(Changed 2 companies).Currently working with major US product company

GMAT score of 680.

X -- 89 % and XII -- 92 % in ICSE.

Do I have a chance in Indian B - schools.

Also for US/UK what are the options and are there any options for scholarships so that cost of MBA comes less.

Regards,
Niketan
  • 6 Comments
  • hi anoop can u please evaluate my profile ... 17 Dec '13.
  • Hi Niketan, You have a decent profile. The only weak poin.... 17 Dec '13.
niketan777
@niketan777 6
hi anoop can u please evaluate my profile ..
Anoop.iitr
Hi Niketan, You have a decent profile. The only weak point in your application is your GMAT Score but that can be certainly offset by a strong application. You have a lot

to showcase on your essays- 6.5 years of work experience/achievements till now/leadership qualities(if any). Based on your profile and GMAT Score i would suggest you to apply b schools like - ISB and Great lakes in India. There are couple of b schools in US which you can apply like - Duke (Fuqua), Georgetown University (McDonough), UNC (Kenan Flagler) and Indiana University (Kelley). In UK -University of Cambridge-Judge, Manchester Business School and Cranfield School of Management. Hope that helps. Cheers!

Hello.... I wanted to know what my options are regarding doing my MBA from US/UK. I am in the final year of my engineering.
Here are my credentials,
10th - 89.8
12th - 90.8
BITS Pilani, BE(Hons.) Mechanical - 7.65 (Hopefully 8.01 by the time I graduate)
I have not given my GMAT yet.
Thank you.

• 4 Comments
  • Hi @guptakartikbp \- there's no training better than on-t.... 16 Dec '13.
  • have some work experience......chances for freshers are a.... 15 Dec '13.
mba-help
Hi @guptakartikbp - there's no training better than on-the job training. Get some work experience first - you will learn a lot about the corporate environment and hopefully also figure out your longer term career goals. An MBA with 3-4 years of work experience will be more beneficial then.

Namita Garg,
www.mbadecoder.com...
s999
shekhar k @s999 4
have some work experience......chances for freshers are almost negligible

guys please help me out...

I have

79.6% (MATRIC) in Xth,

58.8% (CBSE) in XII th and

75% (BE-EEE) in UG

iam persuing my final year BEcan i get place in any top Bschools??? please do reply me. it would be very gratefull...

• 4 Comments
  • yaar venalum pogalam.....aana adhuku etha madri xam ku na.... 14 Dec '13.
  • first prepare for cat or related xams...den we can think .... 14 Dec '13.
vinodcivil
sivaram vinoth @vinodcivil 4
yaar venalum pogalam.....aana adhuku etha madri xam ku nammala ready panikanum
vinodcivil
sivaram vinoth @vinodcivil 4
first prepare for cat or related xams...den we can think about that....:p

Academics :

Xth - 81 (ICSE)

XIIth - 76 (ISC)

Mechanical Engineer - 73% (Top 5) (State University, College- Amongst Top Colleges in State ,Government Aided )

GMAT 590 [ Q - 48, V - 23, AWA - 5]

Professional Exp: Infosys - 2.7 years

Family Managed Business - 3.7+ (Current)

Academics Accomplishments:

1. Certificate & Medal during engineering for 3rd Rank Topper.

2. A couple of certificates in Olympiads (merit only)

Extra Cs : Plenty of in sports/cultural/technical/fine arts...with prizes...but no state / national level....all college level

Social : Plenty of....

Short Term Goal : To get back into engineering industry ( operations/manufacturing) and work for 5-10 years.

Long Term Goal : Start my own business of technical consulting or contract manufacturing.

Just to add : Was shortlisted by SPJIMR based on profile only, got rejection after GMAT :-D

Is there a good college who might consider current gmat score ( though i ll be reappearing on 19th )

• 3 Comments
  • hmmmm...Thanks for inputs, btw website doesnt work. 16 Dec '13.
  • Reappearing for GMAT is a better plan than applying with .... 16 Dec '13.
ygdrasil24
YG S @ygdrasil24 13
hmmmm...Thanks for inputs, btw website doesnt work
mba-help
Reappearing for GMAT is a better plan than applying with this score. All the best for your test, and do update us!

Namita Garg,
www.mbadecoder.com...

Hi
my profile is as follows:

10th : 93%
12th : 86%
BTech : 6.89/10
MBA finance from NMIMS, Mumbai (2.71/4)
CFA Level 3 cleared

WE: 6 MONTHS as a financial consultant in an IT firm and 2+ years(at the time of class) in a foreign bank in structered debt products analytics and modelling

EC : have been captain of college TT and basketball teams, played many state level TT tournaments, letter of appreciation from 3 NGO's , was sports captain of my school

GMAT : 730

i am targetting only NYU and wharton for MBA and CMU for financial engineering program...

can you please advise on my chances...

Thanks

• 4 Comments
  • A double MBA would need justification. You will have to c.... 14 Dec '13.
  • @thaparian You should have strong points to justify ,"why.... 13 Dec '13.
cleared CFA level 3... it is party time :)
ivyctor2010
ivyctor 2010 @ivyctor2010 918
A double MBA would need justification. You will have to come up with exceptional stuff in your essays. Extra curriculars date back to school / college. Anything that you do now would bear more weight. Please remember that a high GMAT score may not be sufficient unless backed by an application which will appeal to the Adcom.
Bijukris
Biju Krishnan @Bijukris 8
@thaparian You should have strong points to justify ,"why you need a additional mba?" and the acceptance rates at NYU and Wharton are a concern. However a good application should do the trick. if you need more info, you can always pm me.

Sir,I have a total experience of 31 months in an IT MNC as on 31st dec '2013 . My academics are as follows:

10th-71%

12th-68%

Undergraduate (B.Tech)-59.4%

Can you list some gmat accepting B-schools which i can target with the above profile and a 710+ Gmat score. Thank you.

• 4 Comments
  • Thanks Anoop.iitr for the quick response.Geographically i.... 13 Dec '13.
  • Hi addy69, you have pretty good profile. Let me know if y.... 13 Dec '13.
addy69
aditya tripathi @addy69 2

Thanks Anoop.iitr for the quick response.Geographically i would prefer Asian Schools followed by US/Europe schools. My short term goal is to make the switch from being a developer to a managerial role or if possible make the switch from IT to a field in which i can be involved with numbers like capital markets. I have always been fascinated by numbers. I have decent extra curricular. I have won a few awards at my college and workplace. Also i was heavily involved in sports during my school/college days. I am yet to take the Gmat but have taken a few mock tests according to which i estimate a score of about 710.

Anoop.iitr
Hi addy69, you have pretty good profile. Let me know if you have taken GMAT or about to take. Also, do you have any geographical preference and what are your long term and short goal. Also, mention about your extra curricular activities. Based on all such factors we can let you know list of b schools which you can target and you stand a fair chances of getting an admit. Cheers!
dear consultants,
i want to join in mba after my b.tech
is this a good option for me because my parents are suggesting that i wont get good oppurtunities in mba and are compelling me to do masters in abroad.
3 people answered this question.
2 Comments
You can view the comments after answering or skipping this question.

Dear Consultants

Thanks u all for this thread first of all.My query is as follows I am IT Technical architect/manager in a leading MNC with more than 8.5 yrs of exp . I have spent close to 5 yrs in UK. My GMAT score is 660 (quant -48 verbal 33 ,AWA -5 IR -6) . I am looking for MBA in europe n US.Kindly suggest me good schools which I can apply and get a call for full time MBA . I am OK to spend 2 yrs on studies .

Regards
Anup
  • 3 Comments
  • @asahoo999 Even thought the GMAT score is a bit of a conc.... 18 Dec '13.
  • Anup, what is your post MBA career goal? When do you plan.... 16 Dec '13.
Bijukris
Biju Krishnan @Bijukris 8
@asahoo999 Even thought the GMAT score is a bit of a concern, i believe a good application should do the trick for you. Based on your career goals and functions i might be able to suggest you some good schools. You can always PM me if you have any questions.
mba-help
Anup, what is your post MBA career goal? When do you plan apply? And are you open to retaking the GMAT?

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

8093 people follow this discussion.