About this discussion

Last updated

Author
Ryan P @Neo2000

Tags

Ask a Consultant! - GMAT/GRE Only

The GMAT section's been growing rapidly over the past few years but I'm sure you already know that. Unfortunately, it's becoming tougher for individual contributors to keep pace. Fortunately, a lot of consultants have been coming up to help! So as...
Follow this discussion to get notified of latest updates.
Page 51 of 202   

are d online applications for sp jain out?? i mean those profile based applications??

Hello,

I gave my GMAT today and got a score of 600.
Do you think i should apply to any of the to top 25 B schools? including ISB?
Iv been working for the past 3 years with Schlumberger, In the oil rig, for different clients like Shell Total and QP. Been working outside the country for the entire duration.
I have a MSc Degree in Geology From Mumbai University. 68%
BSc in Geology From Mumbai University. 73%
HSC 66% and SSC 75%.
Also if not the top 25 where do u suggest i apply?
Would appreciate the help. Thank you.

• 3 Comments
  • Thanx for the advice ivyctor, thing is, i wont be getting.... 24 Aug '13.
  • @Anandv4 600 combined with a low work experience makes yo.... 22 Aug '13.
Anandv4
Anand Viswanath @Anandv4
Thanx for the advice ivyctor, thing is, i wont be getting time to appear again, and even if im luck enough to find time to give it, there is hardly any time for studying, is there no other way i can get in?
ivyctor2010
ivyctor 2010 @ivyctor2010 886
@Anandv4 600 combined with a low work experience makes your profile weaker. So which of the below choices will you make:

1) Apply to a low ranked b-schools with current score get an admit and have that brand with you for life
2) Re-take GMAT at the end of September, work on writing some competitive, robust essays in parallel and apply to top-25 US B-schools in Oct with a better score

-- Team Ivyctor
One Year PGPM @ Great Lakes

Post Graduate Program in Management (PGPM)

- 1 Year Fast Track MBA Program

- Accredited by AMBA, UK

- Ranked 7th by Outlook & Business Today in 2014

- Avg. CTC of INR 11.43 Lakhs in 2014

App. Deadline: 30 November, 2014

Learn More

10+ Global Associations with Leading Schools/ Universities

25+ International Visiting Faculty from Stanford, Yale, Kellogg, etc.

50+ National Level Prizes Won by Students in 2013-14

100+ Industry Leaders on Campus in 2013-14

3000+ Alumni Network spread over 28 Countries

Know More

Hi,

I'd be really obliged if you could evaluate my profile and suggest the B-schools that I should aim for.

Origin : Indian,Male,24

GMAT : Scheduled on 23rd Aug 2013. Targeting a score of 700.

Education: B.Tech (Engg) in Instrumentation and Control

GPA: 3.7 out of 5 (73.5 %)

12th: 79%

10th: 84%

Work Experience:

Till date: 23 Months In Wipro Technologies as a Java-J2EE Dev (IT)

Till September 2014: 3 Years

Clients worked for : Citibank USA (Retail-Mortgage Industry)

No international exposure but frequent telephonic conversations with Onshore team member as well as client.

Responsibilities:

1.Part of the team responsible for Enhancement of Citimortgage . com and Mortgage Assessment Tool (an internal tool used by citi employees).

2.Given KT (Knowledge Transfer),technical as well as Project based(Mortgage and related terms), to new joiners.

3.Given the responsibility of conducting POCs (Proof of Concept) and Presentations by the Manager and subsequently gave POCs and presentations to the Delivery head and Clients.

4.Independently worked on a module (including estimation,development and delivery).

I have also established a PVT LTD company of my own (with 2 more friends of mine) under which I am about to launch a website(nation-wide) related to Internal Job Postings.

The website is in the development phase(outsourced).

I also help my father on Weekends in his business,a readymade garments' showroom which employs 8 salesmen. I also introduced a new bonus system for the salesmen as opposed to the standard market norm, positively affecting the business.

LOR: from Supervisor-who is now pursuing MS in Computer Science from Urbana Champaign and from the Delivery Head of my current project (Citibank). To be reviewed by a professional

Extra Curricular :

Co-Director, Event Management for IEEE branch of my college.

Part of the college football team for 2 years.

Captained the school football team for 2 years and won bronze at zonal level.

Active participation in quizzes at both-school as well as college level.

Post MBA Goal: Finance (Investment Banking)

I have shortlisted the below mentioned schools. Could you tell me what are my chances of getting selected to these colleges?

Stretch : Carnegie Mellon,ISB, McCombs, Kenan-Flagler, Rotman

Competitive : Manchester Business school (UK), Schulich(York), Urbana Champaign, Richard-Ivey, Fisher, Mays,Georgia Tech, Carlson, Rice,Wash U. (Olin), Georgetown

Safe: Boston College (Carroll), Purdue

I understand this is a long list(and my experience is on the lower side) hence, I am looking forward to your guidance to help me shortlist a correct mix of B-schools(like 1 stretch school, 2-3 competitive schools and 2 safe schools) to apply in R1 for Fall 2014 admissions.

I am open to other B schools and geographies.

Also, as ISB deadline is near, I wish to apply in R2 for same. Does my application stand an equal chance as R1 in R2?

Thanks in advance for your time.

• @Gmataspirant25 You have put things in detail and have do.... 21 Aug '13.
ivyctor2010
@Gmataspirant25 You have put things in detail and have done your homework well. A few questions which will help us understand your profile better and offer you better advice:
1) How do you aim to earn money through your website venture? Please describe your business model very briefly.
2) Why is Investment Banking your goal and if so what are the steps you have taken to get into Investment Banking?

Purdue is not a safe school at your profile. Also do you even wish to apply to safe schools and get admitted and take that brand with yourself for rest of your life? Or do you wish to just stick to top-notch schools and prepare awesome applications to get into them?

ISB R1 and R2 are not very different so you should apply only when your application is fully ready. To US B-schools is it preferable to apply in R1.

-- Team Ivyctor

What was the cut off for MAT TERI in 2012 and 2013?

what is minimum score required, provided other criteria fulfilled.

Hi guys, totally new here. Just gave the GMAT on 14th August and got a 720. Have 4.5 years of experience in Business Development, client acquisition and account handling for Areva T&D; India Ltd. B.E in Electrical from Thapar University, Patiala CGPA 7.3/10. Have helped start up an NGO called "Gurbat" from scratch. Organised funds, collected volunteers and taught underprivileged children during weekends since about 3 years. Not many other extracurriculars at college though lot of achievements at work. Have been recognized as high potential candidate and in consideration for a rotational programme spanning different countries. Want to target ISB, NUS and HKU. What do you all think?? am I realistic or too ambitious?

• Sounds good, Sudeep. I hope your achievements in the day .... 22 Aug '13.
mba-help
MBA Decoder @mba-help 1,395
Sounds good, Sudeep. I hope your achievements in the day job shine just as much as your extra-curricular achievements do. This seems to be the case, as you are in the running for a rotational program, which are generally offered to employees on a fast track growth.

The b-schools on your list are realistic, based on the assumption that you will submit a stellar application to them. In fact you can also aim a little higher, based upon your career goals and other criteria for attaining business education.

Namita, MBA Decoder

hi guys....please look at my profile and please give your opinions...

xth score is 78%

Xii -74%

B.S in Marine engineering from BITS,Pilani with a GPA of 8.3

My work exp is around 30 months working in Danish company.I have had exposure of working with multiple nationalities.Also took part in quiz n debates and much to show.

I have travelled a lot also took part in adventure sports like rock climbing,scuba diving,snorkelling and cliff junping.

I m seeking admission into ISB,INSEAD,ERASMUS university(netherland),Nanyang,Dartmouth.

So what score would be decent in Gmat and what are my odds.

• 9 Comments
  • Hi @moazzam0987 ! You have a decent profile, the total wo.... 21 Aug '13.
  • replied to your post on the ISB thread!. 21 Aug '13.
ISBmantra.com
ISB mantra @ISBmantra.com 1,431
Hi @moazzam0987 ! You have a decent profile, the total work-ex though on the lower side. You have a good spread of schools that you have shortlisted and all of them are pretty competitive. You may want to target something around 750 to get an edge.
Feel free to discuss anything else that you may need.

All the Best!
'ISBmantra'

hey hi,

let me introduce myself first , its pankaj dubey aka panky , i have been working for infoedge pvt ltd better known as naukri.com as a senior executive sales and operations (consultant) in common term and already have a MBA degree from IMT ghazibad its CDL and now i feel like to have some more strong affiliations at back of my name but the problem is that i am a non engineering graduate that will lead me to be not enough strong in quants section specially that belong to integration and all (11th 12th portion) though i find myself a bit comfortable in all other sections , so i wana help in regard that is there any chance of mine cracking a CAT exam i have already filled a form for the 2013 version of it...
do help me my mind is in lot of troublesome these days
1 person answered this question.
1 Comments
You can view the comments after answering or skipping this question.

I gave my GMAT today. Got a score of 730. 49 in quant and 40 verbal. Is it a good score? what are my chances of getting into any of the top 20 B Schools?

Brief about my profile

2 years work exp in sales in HPCL(fortune 500)

good acads (10th 92, 12th 89, eng. 8.71/10)

Civil Eng

Decent extra curricular in college and school.

Please help Guys?

• 3 Comments
  • Hi @slokarth ! If ISB is also on your list, you have a ve.... 19 Aug '13.
  • @slokarth GMAT score is quite good, but work experience i.... 19 Aug '13.
PGP student Class of 2014 ISB 
ISBmantra.com
ISB mantra @ISBmantra.com 1,431
Hi @slokarth ! If ISB is also on your list, you have a very good chance in ISB with this profile. Ensure that your essays are crafted well to express your motivation and uniqueness.
Feel free to contact us for any further assistance.

All the Best!
'ISBmantra'
ivyctor2010
@slokarth GMAT score is quite good, but work experience is on the lower side. A lot will depend upon your goal clarity. B-school admissions love applicants who are mature enough to understand where they are coming from and where do they want to land up post MBA. Are you clear on where would you be 2 years after you are done with your MBA?

-- Team Ivyctor

I have completed my B.E in comps before 1 month.. i want to go for CAT '14,,,which is the best coaching institute to join?

Hi..I have around 4 years of IT exp and have done B.E in Comps..At this point of time I am confused whether I should go for a MBA or MS..Can you please suggest..

• 3 Comments
  • Hi..I am interested to move towards managerial role. 18 Aug '13.
  • @nits7 After your masters, do you wish to be in a manager.... 18 Aug '13.
nits7
Nit S @nits7
Hi..I am interested to move towards managerial role
ivyctor2010
@nits7 After your masters, do you wish to be in a managerial position or do you wish to be in a more technical role?

-- Team Ivyctor

Hi

I am preparing for CAT2014 , just have some queries..

1. I have done my BBA as a distance learning because i had to dropped out of my B Tech(3rd yr) because of ATKT'S .

so do it deter my chances of getting into a good B school .

2. is CL good for cat coaching? i would start preparing from oct 2013.

3. Right now working with Larsen & Toubro as a sales officer , i m a sales professional , total work ex 4 yrs ,but simultaneously i was doing my BBA , so do this work ex counts for executive MBA or should i target for MBA marketing.

4. i would be 27 next year when i would be sitting for CAT 2014 , so whts the avg age for mba at good b schools , wont like to feel like a un-cle while pursuing mba.

5. last one could somebody pls explain what is CAT to my dadu,,,,,kiddin...

Expecting Quick Reply Puys..

Thanx a ton....

CAT , here i comeeeeee.....

kindly suggest me some good business schools in dubai,singapore,or uk who offer full time MBA programme to freshers and the admission is relatively easy (GMAT 600).

• 3 Comments
  • my main concern is that the business school be doing well.... 18 Aug '13.
  • @vaibhavsnghl Post MBA brand, placements, peer group and .... 18 Aug '13.
vaibhavsnghl
vaibhav singhal @vaibhavsnghl 2
my main concern is that the business school be doing well in global ratings (like sp jain,ISB). and accept fresher for MBA programme plus the admission to be relatively easy.
ivyctor2010
@vaibhavsnghl Post MBA brand, placements, peer group and learning are not the parameters for you?

-- Team Ivyctor

Hi,

I would like some advice regarding my application.
I did my BBA(B&I;) from IP univ in the year 2010, and worked till 2011 march in BarclaysBbank, had a break for a year (bank exam preparation & accident) after which i have been working as deputy manager in Indian Overseas Bank (feb2012-present) i wish to enter b-scahool in sept 2015 by which my total work ex will be 4 years, i am also giving cfa L-1 this year.
i wish to ask whether 4 years work ex is enough for applying or should i wait 1 more year? altough i would not like to wait , also by what time i should be ready with my GMAT school next year?
thanks.
  • @markinson Quality of work experience matters a lot more .... 18 Aug '13.
ivyctor2010
@markinson Quality of work experience matters a lot more than quantity of work experience. Suppose you are confused between applying in 2015 and 2016, then the parameter for your decision should be are you going to change your profile drastically in a span on that 1 year? If yes then do delay your application to 2016, if not then apply right away in 2015.

-- Team Ivyctor

Hi.. I B.E graduate with 3.5 years full time and 2 years part time work-ex. I have scored decent grades in the past but only a 660 for my GMAT. Which one year mba in India am I most likely to qualify for? Kinda lost. Please advice.

• 4 Comments
  • @boooooo 660 is on the lower side but are you also aiming.... 18 Aug '13.
  • Any chances of retaking the GMAT? Indians are such good G.... 18 Aug '13.
ivyctor2010
@boooooo 660 is on the lower side but are you also aiming at B-school programs in US or Canada?

-- Team Ivyctor
mba-help
MBA Decoder @mba-help 1,395
Any chances of retaking the GMAT? Indians are such good GMAT scorers that your score of 660 make you less competitive at most MBA programs.

Namita
www.mbadecoder.com

I am a penultimate year student at IIIT gwalior

My inclination is towards MIM or MS in quantitative finance..........

My academic credentials stand at

10th-85.8%

12th-79.4%

Btech+MBA(Dual)-7.21(may improve a bit down the line)

others:-CFA L2 candidate,NCMP L1

which universities should i target,will research papers add weightage to my CV,what other extracurricular should i work upon

What GMAT score would compensate my poor academics....(predictable range)

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

7783 people follow this discussion.