PaGaLGuY Prepathon Mock CATs

Download the FREE PaGaLGuY Prepathon app to join in the free test series that start on Sept 13th.
The app is used by over 50,000+ students

About this discussion

Last updated

Author
Ryan P @Neo2000

Tags

Ask a Consultant! - GMAT/GRE Only

The GMAT section's been growing rapidly over the past few years but I'm sure you already know that. Unfortunately, it's becoming tougher for individual contributors to keep pace. Fortunately, a lot of consultants have been coming up to help! So as...
Follow this discussion to get notified of latest updates.
Page 51 of 358   

Hi! I just got admitted to McDonough School of Business. But did not get any scholarship. I already have a govt job here (approx 50k in hand per month) and now I am being counselled against leaving my govt job here and going out and spending approx 80k dollars per year for 2 years. Am being told that job scenario is not good for Indians over there with preference being given to local students. I was thinking of a career in consulting. Please guide. Other option am thinking of is a lower ranked Canada college like York schulich etc with higher scholarship chances lowering my risks. 

Students already in Mcdonough telling me it IS tough job situation for indian students over there right now. Please guide.

• Hi, Is it possible that you go on a sabbatical for your s.... 27 Dec '14.
  • A lot of government jobs do offer an opportunity to take .... 28 Dec '14.
nodwin
Nodnat @nodwin 32

Hi, Is it possible that you go on a sabbatical for your studies?

ThePrincetonReview
Manya-The Princeton Review @ThePrincetonReview 590

A lot of government jobs do offer an opportunity to take a long break and pursue your education. You can definitely explore that. Besides, what was your GMAT score. You can reconsider taking GMAT again and go for a higher score and therefore get admitted to a top university. This would brighten your chances of getting a job and take away your apprehensions. 

Tip for Applications:

Break down your assessment in the following areas:

1. Work Experience: Industry, Overall Role, Your Impact, Strengths in this area, Weakness in this area

2. GMAT Score

3. Academics: Undergrad GPA, Grad GPA, Stregths and Weaknesses in each area.

4. Goals: Short term and Long term. What Industry? What Position? Major or Slight Career Shift?

5. Extracurriculars: Poetry, Drama, Social, anything worth mentioning outside of the class.

6. Miscellaneous Factors: Failures(if any). Obstacles overcome.

• 2 Likes  
Veritas Gurgaon - 9810801887 
Prepathon – Prepare for IBPS, SSC-CGL and more!

Prepathon gives you courses that are backed by real coaches. Ask, discuss and learn from both coaches and other students. Innovative learning formats, friendly coaches and cutting edge technology — all in one powerful mobile app.

Google Play Store     Learn More

Download prepathon for free

Prepathon is available on the Google Play Store for a free download.

Google Play Store

Hi,

Need some guidance here;I am currently working in a PSU with 5 years work ex. in Construction Management of Large Refinery and Petrochemical complexes.

I am looking forward to a career move to Project Management,Infra Policy Mgt. or Consulting role.

I am aiming  to do a executive MBA (1 Year) from top Indian Institutes like IIM A,B &C .Look to appear for GMAT in Nov 2015.

(MBA from abroad is doubtful due to high expenditure involved.)

Kindly Clarify if the above move is feasible.

• 3 Comments
  • Hi Avishek, if you have considered all aspects of making .... 28 Dec '14.
  • You are the one who is going to make it feasible. Along w.... 28 Dec '14.
IIM-A PGPX,IIM-B EPGP,ISB Aspirant....2016 entrance "Batch of 2017" 
ThePrincetonReview

Hi Avishek, if you have considered all aspects of making a career move and are sure you want to move up in the role of Project Management, then don't stop yourself for anything and go ahead with giving GMAT. While MBA schools look for an overall profile, you should certainly target a GMAT score of 650-700. Let us know if you have any questions regarding gmat preparation and we would be happy to guide. Wish you the best. (www.manyagroup.com)

ivyctor2010
ivyctor 2010 @ivyctor2010 920

You are the one who is going to make it feasible. Along with IIMs I suggest you think about applying to ISB as well....

Bits of knowledge for Indian Candidates:

1. Indicate how your family business experience is far reaching

2. Demonstrate you know more than IT

3. Make the most of your extracurricular activities

4. Don't think all B-schools are made similarly

• 3 Likes  
Veritas Gurgaon - 9810801887 

Hi,

I'm planning to do my MBA from US and I'm targetting Fall 2015 session. I have a GMAT score of 620. My profile:

Xth - 85%

XIIth - 94%.

I'm an SRCC graduate and I have also completed M.com through correspondence.

Work Experience - 40 months.

I'm a little apprehensive because it is a huge investment and Visa also expires if we don't find a job within 6 months. How is the scope of MBA Finance in US? Do you think MBA from Tier II university is worth it? Also, could you please suggest me the best colleges for my profile.

• 10 Comments
  • Thanks guys for your replies....they have really helped m.... 28 Dec '14.
  • All the best Deepanshi!. 29 Dec '14.
deepanshi05
Deepanshi Mittal @deepanshi05

Thanks guys for your replies....they have really helped me make my decision

Anita Goyal helps answer questions about getting an MBA at the Indian Institute of Management (IIM), Lucknow. To know more click here

http://www.mba.com/india/plan-for-business-school/choose-a-school/school-expert-qanda/indian-institu...

Indian Institute of Management, Lucknow (IIM)
Indian Institute of Management, Lucknow (IIM)
Anita Goyal is working as associate professor (Marketing) at Indian Institute of Management (IIM), Lucknow, India. Presently she is also the admission chair at IIML-Noida Campus. She has 19 years of experience in academics. She has an MBA in Marketing Management and a PhD in Services Marketing and Consumer Behaviour.

Mba

Official representative of the GMAT exam. Learn more at http://www.mba.com

I have an Urgent question plz HELP !!!!!!!
If i will leave my job and then prepare for GMAT and apply for schools will it hamper my chances of getting admitted in B Schools..
Note: I am associated with an NGO and if necessary then i will join NGO as teacher will it be ok then? I will do it only if my chances won't dim because of leaving my job. 
In jan 21 i will have 2 years of work ex.
Kindly give your wise advice as i m in deep trouble.

• 9 Comments
  • All the best Karan :smiley:. 24 Dec '14.
  • Hi Karan , don't leave the job just for GMAT preparation .... 29 Dec '14.
Malinigc
@Malinigc

Hi Karan , don't leave the job just for GMAT preparation because the more WE you have ,there will be more weightage your resume will have.Try to prepare for GMAT without leaving your job.

Hi, I am looking for some advice on a good gmat coaching center near my home in Mayapuri, Delhi. I am planning to give gmat in June/July 2015. TIA

• Hi, we have answered your query before but posting the re.... 24 Dec '14.
ThePrincetonReview

Hi, we have answered your query before but posting the reply here again for your reference. At Manya Abroad - The Princeton Review, we have a gmat coaching center in Raja Garden which is very close to Mayapuri. You will find more information here:

http://www.manyagroup.com/gmat-test-preparation-coaching-classes-delhi. It would be great if you could visit our center and speak to our admission counselor who can help you with all your queries. Let us know if you need any further information and we would be happy to guide. Wish you the best. 

I am currently working as maintenance engineer in an MNC for the past 3.5 years. Due to some unavoidable reasons, I couldn't give GMAT prior to R2 deadlines, Is it better for me to take GMAT in the coming months and apply for R3 or wait for R1 next year?? 

By fall 2016, I would be having experience of 5 years.Will that affect my profile considerably or is it alright to apply with such experience?

My profile summary is as follows :

X-   92.7 %

XII- 93.1 %

Engineering- 7.47/10 from NIT, Nagpur

• 4 Comments
  • My sincere advice would be to forget about R1 or R2 and j.... 24 Dec '14.
  • Hi, you have a very good profile and if you can target a .... 24 Dec '14.
kinji.at.pg1
Kinjal Das @kinji.at.pg1 29,897

My sincere advice would be to forget about R1 or R2 and just focus about GMAT. Get your GMAT out of the way.

ThePrincetonReview

Hi, you have a very good profile and if you can target a score of 700+, you stand a very good chance of getting an admit from the top business schools. Work experience of 5 years is good as most top b schools prefer quality work ex and the more the better. You should just focus on your gmat preparation and give yourself sufficient time for the same. Start with a mock test and see where you are currently. Take it from there. Let us know if you would have any further questions. Wish you the best. 

hi! i am going to start my gmat preparation can you tell me the approximate score that is required to get into top b-schools(like lsb, stanford,MIT sloan). So, i can start my preparation with an aim of getting that much marks. 

• 9 Comments
  • @nktmehra2002, All the best!. 29 Dec '14.
  • hi buddy when are you planning for the exam?. 29 Dec '14.
Grk9
kishore G @Grk9 735

hi buddy when are you planning for the exam?

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

8690 people follow this discussion.