About this discussion

Last updated

Author
Ryan P @Neo2000

Tags

Ask a Consultant! - GMAT/GRE Only

The GMAT section's been growing rapidly over the past few years but I'm sure you already know that. Unfortunately, it's becoming tougher for individual contributors to keep pace. Fortunately, a lot of consultants have been coming up to help! So as...
Follow this discussion to get notified of latest updates.
Page 51 of 205   

Hi Consultant
I am planning to write GMAT soon.
Please evaluate my profile for one year PGP in IIMs A,B,C,L,I , ISB, XLRI, SP Jain.
Here is my profile,
1) 6 years of work ex in Telecom and IT sector.
2) Achievers awards in current organization.
3) X- 80%, XII - 80.4%, BTech (ET)- 73.6%.
4) CV fillers extracurriculars, not extraordinary.

Please do tell me if I can add anything, any certification.
Thanks in Advance.

• 12 Comments
  • @pranshunaswa What was the impact of "end to end delivery.... 10 Sep '13.
  • I have been part of one of the major roll-out (3G) for on.... 10 Sep '13.
ivyctor2010
ivyctor 2010 @ivyctor2010 903
@pranshunaswa What was the impact of "end to end delivery " in the 1st example in terms of cost, revenue or any other business metrics?
In the 2nd example the award is a good achievement but I see no mention of business impact.

Writing business impact in terms of metrics affected with bring more credibility to your stories in your essays and your application with be strengthened.

-- Team Ivyctor
pranshunaswa
Pranshu Naswa @pranshunaswa 9
I have been part of one of the major roll-out (3G) for one of the leading Telecom Operators in India, where I worked as a lead Engineer responsible for end to end delivery of one of our products. Secondly worked as a Project lead guiding a team of engineers to deliver one of the haughtiest projects in our domain for a leading Telecom Giant. Won company level Achievers award for the same. Involved in Project Management activities and Strategy building measures for different projects.

My profile:-
10th - 84.4 ; 12th - 82.5
B.E. (Electrical & Electronics) - 72.6
Work ex - 3 years (as of Sept 2013)
- Worked with an IT company for ING Investment Management (client).
- Handled datawarehouse design applications and software development.
- Interacted with Clients for design process in designing a part of datawarehouse.
- Constantly improving my work through performance tuning and developing value addition software codes using VBA.
CFA L2 candidate.
Interested in finance roles.
Can you please suggest good B schools for finance (apart from the usual suspects) ?
Also i am interested in Master in finance/financial engg. Kindly assist with that too.
I hope 4 yrs of non-relevant work ex won't matter for either of the above mentioned courses.

@mba-help

• @Iamsun Look at Rotman, Cornell, Rochester are the ones a.... 10 Sep '13.
That's what I do
ivyctor2010
@Iamsun Look at Rotman, Cornell, Rochester are the ones apart from usual suspects such as Columbia, NYU, Booth, Kellogg, HKUST, NUS etc.

Work ex does matter but in the end quality of overall application matters more.

-- Team ivyctor
LIVE CHAT with ex- Convenor and Dean MISB Bocconi

Ask all about Post-CAT results in a LIVE CHAT on 

26th December 2014 at 8.30pm with  Dr. Himanshu Rai, CAT 2010 Convenor and Dean MISB Bocconi.

Participate Now

-Full time post graduate program in business

-Faculty from SDA Bocconi, Italy 

-Dual Campus Mumbai and Milan

-2014 Avg. CTC 10 Lakh p.a

- Merit Based Tuition Fee Waiver 

Download Placement Stats

Hi ,

I am giving JUNE,2014 CFA attempt,Can anyone provide me with the link for CFA level 1 schweser notes.

Hi,

Thanks in advance for your help. I am a 28 year old management consulting professional with exposure to business research and analytic's at the start of my career. I have a total work experience of 7 years 4 months as of today and have registered for GMAT in January 2014 (started preparing). Previously, I have done my Economics Honors from Delhi University and have average academics (Graduation 58%, Xth 82% and XIIth 78%). I also have a PGCBM from XLRI.

Although I will try my best to get 700+ in GMAT (have appeared for CAT thrice and scored >93 %tile), but let's assume I end up scoring 680-720 in GMAT. For the “why MBA” question, I am looking at getting into industry from management consulting (like a strategy/ corporate planning role). Also, I would like to get a jump in my compensation (currently working in India at a CTC of $40,000). I jave home loan liabilities to take care if so need a secure B-School; also, I am married (no kids). Taking these assumptions, here are a few queries that I have:

1. Should I even consider a MBA abroad given my home loan liability, the fee for MBA programs and job insecurity?

a. If yes, then what B-Schools fit the bill? I shortlisted IMD and HKUST as of now, but given the fee for IMD and finance-driven placements for HKUST, I feel it's a risk.

2. What B-Schools in India will make sense for me?

a. I have shortlisted IIM-A PGPX only. Nothing else seems to fit the bill for me. ISB seems to be too competitive after I get into it and changes of getting better salary and preferred role seems to be less than IIMA. This is primarily as there is a lot of competition from 'young blood' at ISB.

I would really appreciate any help in this evaluation. Thanks!

Regards

BSchoolDreams

• Thanks.... 10 Sep '13.
  • @BSchoolDreams When you talk about competition from the y.... 10 Sep '13.
ivyctor2010
@BSchoolDreams When you talk about competition from the young blood you are taking too short term view of the MBA degree. The affect of initial placements will fade off within initial years. In India you should apply to IIM A,B PGP Ex and ISB. Outside in addition to IMD and HKUST you should research into Sloan, Kellogg, Ross and Booth as they are good for strategy roles. They are fairly competitive but worth a shot at your profile.

-- Team Ivyctor

I have 3 years of IT experience as of now. Above average academics and decent achievements at work. CFA L2 candidate. Interested in finance esp. Fixed Income.
Which B school are good in finance apart from the top ones like Columbia, Wharton, NYU Stern,etc ?

• @Iamsun \- any of the top 15 b-schools (BW rankings). Bec.... 09 Sep '13.
That's what I do
mba-help
MBA Decoder @mba-help 1,426
@Iamsun - any of the top 15 b-schools (BW rankings). Because b-schools that you have listed are so well known for their finance programs (you missed out Booth, Stanford and Harvard ), it will be a highly bumpy ride to get admission there.

Consider the other programs like Darden, Duke, Tuck, Cornell, Emory, UNC Kenan Flagler etc. which will get you the same kind of jobs and will be a tad easier to get admission into.

But, before that- let's get a peak into your profile?

Namita Garg,
www.mbadecoder.com...

Press like if my answer was helpful

Hi Consultant....

Please resolve my query...
I am currently working with State Bank of India as Assistant Manager. Total Work ex so far including all I have is 3.5 yrs. I am a B.Com Honours Graduate (from Delhi University), and about to complete Company Secretary (CS) professional degree.

My co-curriculars, HSC SSC % etc are all good enough!

I am going through a lot of work pressure, and therefore I am not able to prepare for GMAT, hence I have availed leaves.

So my question is, in case I decide to resign, and remain unemployed for 6 months ...will that be a blot on my profile? Do foreign B schools like Nanyang, NUS, and other Asian B schools look for continuation in work-ex and will a High GMAT score suffice for that ?

Thanks in advance!

• 3 Comments
  • Well mam, I have to join immediately and leaves have been.... 09 Sep '13.
  • Its not a good idea to quit work just to prepare for GMAT.... 09 Sep '13.
srijan_141
SRIJAN CHAKRAVARTY @srijan_141 871
Well mam, I have to join immediately and leaves have been declined straightaway from the management.

Please suggest that if I mention preparations for Company Secretary Professional i.e. Final Level exams, and resign for that...can that form a basis that I was preparing for a professional degree and therefore I resigned? Please suggest mam as I am really very confused at present.

Thanks
mba-help
Its not a good idea to quit work just to prepare for GMAT. A business school requires you to multi-task at all times, and by quitting, you would be sending out the wrong signals about your capabilities. Its better to take leave instead.

Namita Garg,
www.mbadecoder.com...

Press like if my answer was helpful

My profile :

I graduated from one of the IITs in 2010
CGPA-8
Gmat -750 (q-50,v-42, awa-4)

Work ex- 14 months in real estates in project management roles
34 months(by the time mba starts) in my own start-up

Extra -curr : CV filler stuff, nothing special

Can some one evaluate my chances at MIT-Sloan , Chicago-booth, Dartmouth-Tuck ,Darden ,oxford-Said
And if possible provide me with other options where i would have good chances

• 4 Comments
  • @mba-help well i started as management trainee at the rea.... 08 Sep '13.
  • @ps124 Hi Pashu Ram, Your stats are in great shape and.... 08 Sep '13.
ps124
pashu ram @ps124
@mba-help well i started as management trainee at the real estate firm and left as a an assistant manager. I was part of team of 5-6 member team in-charge of 50 million usd construction project.My job included coordinating between many consultants and contractors to get the job done at site.At some shifts i was the sole in-charge of the site which at any time had hundreds of labours working. After leaving i along with a few of my batch mates from IIT founded a company that was mainly focused on the education sector .I was involved in everything from product conceptualization to marketing.The main product has not done very well in the market and hence the plan to do an mba .I still believe our product has the capacity to revolutionize the education sector but maybe this is not right time for this product and after working of few years post mba i want to return to India to start up again.
mba-help
@ps124
Hi Pashu Ram,
Your stats are in great shape and congratulations for the GMAT score!

The b-schools on your list are highly competitve. Will need to understand more about your work related achievements and career progressions. Please detail these in your next post.

Namita Garg,
www.mbadecoder.com...

@varora

Hi All,

Can anybody evaluate my profile?

Male, Indian, 23

Educational Background: Bachelor of Business Management, Good to Excellent Grades (94% in 12th, 80% in University)

GMAT Score: 730 (Q 50 V 39, AWA 5.5, IR 6)

Work Experience: 3+ years in qualitative market research and consulting across two companies (1 year in India, 2+ years in Dubai, UAE)

Extra Curricular - Limited to those in University

I am targeting top 10 US schools - Kellogg, Wharton and Harvard. I am planning to apply to all three in R2. These are dream schools - do not want to make a safe list.

Post-MBA Goal is to settle in US and work in Brand & Strategy at an FMCG Co.

Any specific reason you are applying to R2 and not R1? I also plan to apply this year and have a commerce background.PM your email id/phone no. so that we can stay in touch.

Hi All,

Can anybody evaluate my profile?

Male, Indian, 23
Educational Background: Bachelor of Business Management, Good to Excellent Grades (94% in 12th, 80% in University)
GMAT Score: 730 (Q 50 V 39, AWA 5.5, IR 6)
Work Experience: 3+ years in qualitative market research and consulting across two companies (1 year in India, 2+ years in Dubai, UAE)
Extra Curricular - Limited to those in University

I am targeting top 10 US schools - Kellogg, Wharton and Harvard. I am planning to apply to all three in R2. These are dream schools - do not want to make a safe list.

Post-MBA Goal is to settle in US and work in Brand & Strategy at an FMCG Co.

• @varora Applying to all dream schools means you are ok wi.... 08 Sep '13.
  • @varora seems to be all good! A lot will depend upon your.... 08 Sep '13.
ivyctor2010
@varora Applying to all dream schools means you are ok with not entering an MBA this year, is that a fair assumption?

Also there are schools which are very good brands which will would be a very good enhancement to your career, but are not as competitive as these 3. And these good brands are not "safe" schools as well.

-- Team Ivyctor
mba-help
@varora seems to be all good! A lot will depend upon your accomplishments at work, as well as outside your profession. The top b-schools give emphasis to leadership outside the work sphere, and you lack that exposure.

You will have to do a good job of tying in your career goals with why a particular B-school? But we before we get there, you will need solid career goals - both short term and long term

Namita Garg,
www.mbadecoder.com...

Press like if my answer helped you!

Hi, kindly help, thanks.

Profile:

Indian Female, Age- 23

Work Experience- 2+ years: working in a Credit Rating Agency in the Public Finance department, under the Senior Economist.

Degree: Economics Hons, Lady Shri Ram College

GMAT- 680

Want to target top 10 US B schools. What would I need to increase my chances for the same.

• 8 Comments
  • @kritika7 Being female your profile do have good chances .... 06 Sep '13.
  • Hi @kritika7 ! With the deadlines approaching and you pla.... 06 Sep '13.
CsquareLearnings
Csquare Learnings @CsquareLearnings 44
@kritika7 Being female your profile do have good chances of getting into TOP 15-20 colleges if not into 'all' TOP 10. In the past, we have female - students making it to TOP B-schools such as Yale & Kennan-Flagler with the similar profiles like that of yours.

However you have to work hard on coming up with very interesting application essays & strong recommendations. Further, you must target at applying for few B-schools at least in Round 1. Applying in R1 that too for a female - have a better chances. Hope this helps. So go-ahead and take maximum advantage. ATB
ISBmantra.com
ISB mantra @ISBmantra.com 1,444
Hi @kritika7 ! With the deadlines approaching and you planning for the top 10 US schools, the one thing that you need to improve is your luck. Honestly, your profile and your GMAT score aren't the best possible combination for a top school, but you may certainly take a chance. But if you are keen on starting your MBA next year, then you need to prepare a list of schools that has a decent spread of top schools as well as safe schools.

All the Best!
'ISBmantra'

Hi can someone please evaluate my profile an guide me.

Indian Male, Age- 26

Work Experience- 5+ Years in total. 1 year in the financial services industry as a Financial Analyst and 4+ years as a Senior Manager- Business Development & Strategy at a diversified firm with interests in Textiles, Power and Higher education (most recent job). Also Co-Founded an internet venture in 2006 which I later sold off to the other partners making a decent profit on investment.

GMAT- 720

College- Cardiff University, Business School. Degree- BSc in Accounting & Finance Result- Upper 2.1 Degree. Topped year 1 and scored a first class in both year 1 and 2 but because of death in the family had issues with my final year grades and hence the upper 2:1. Graduated in 2008.

Treasurer of the Indian society in college. Developed the Corporate social responsibility charter for my current firm with focus on education and sanitation. Working with the biggest environmental NGO in India on part time basis.

Target Schools- ISB, Darden, Cambridge, IMD, INSEAD, LBS, NUS and Nanyang (Singapore)

Planning to apply for R2 2014Post MBA goal is to move into Strategy Consulting. Plan to gain some experience in the consulting field through a job/internship before the start of my MBA.

Thanks

Regards

• 10 Comments
  • @CsquareLearnings Thanks for the advice. I think I'll be .... 06 Sep '13.
  • @ramalo Your profile seems to be good on prima facie . If.... 06 Sep '13.
ramalo
Anj samrit @ramalo 4
@CsquareLearnings Thanks for the advice. I think I'll be able to tell the b-schools a reasonably interesting story through my essays. But do you think I have realistic shot at LBS or INSEAD? The reason I'm concerned is because I do not come from the traditional consulting/engineering background. I've worked for a firm with revenues in the region of $100 million. So the firms relatively small in size but that's allowed me to take up greater responsibilities at a very early stage in my career. However now I feel as if its time for a change and the major reason for me applying for an MBA is to change my career field to strategic consulting.
CsquareLearnings
Csquare Learnings @CsquareLearnings 44
@ramalo Your profile seems to be good on prima facie . If you can write Good ( Interesting ) Application Essays, then you have good chances in most of the schools you are looking at Please let me know if you have any specific questions. Hope this helps.

hi! i'm currently preparing for CAT. However, i also want to apply to certain B-schools abroad as a back up option in case I score a low percentile in CAT. I have only 4 months of work ex. Which are the good universities abroad which offer an MBA to students without work ex? Also, is the MSc Management programme at par with an MBA degree?

i want to pursue my mba from abroad and i heard that without gmat there are some colleges that take admission on the basis of IELTS and TOEFL score card so is it true ?

• @priyam_007 Yes it is true. Rotman (Canada) for example w.... 05 Sep '13.
ivyctor2010
@priyam_007 Yes it is true. Rotman (Canada) for example waives your GMAT if you have cleared CFA level 3 certification. Some European b-schools programs do not require aspirants to have a GMAT score. However before you go down that road you need to make sure if a school suits your career needs or not. Just because a school does not require a GMAT should not be the sole criteria for you for a school selection.

-- Team Ivyctor

hello... M new to pagal guy...
I am confused...
My profile is:-
Having work ex of 4 mnths n still running.. 10th-88% 12th-68% engg agg 7.96 spi.
so please can u guide me...!!!
Whn to giv xam"GMAT"...???How much work EX is required...?
I am actually targeting top 15 uni...

• 2 Likes   5 Comments
  • Work for atleast 2 years. Most of the top 15 universities.... 04 Sep '13.
  • Hey @awsmsita , You are too young. Work for another two y.... 04 Sep '13.
saurabh_gim
Saurabh Bhardwaj @saurabh_gim 9
Work for atleast 2 years. Most of the top 15 universities have work-ex as the min eligibility criteria. So get some work experience.
mba-help
Hey @awsmsita , You are too young. Work for another two years before you think of applying.

Namita Garg

www.mbadecoder.com

Hi Can anybody please tell me if it is advisable to join tier 2 (top 20 -50 in ft b school rankings) US MBA colleges over our iims ? Im not worried about the cost or placements but a looking for some quality MBA..My doubt is that why haven't our IIMB,IIMC and etc do not feature in Ft B school lists ?

• 4 Comments
  • @GONA Agree with what Neo has said here. Although IIMs ar.... 05 Sep '13.
  • This tier-2 thing is more applicable to Indian b-schools .... 04 Sep '13.
ivyctor2010
@GONA Agree with what Neo has said here. Although IIMs are good bets if you have to work in India, the top 30 B-schools in US are very good places to groom your leadership skills in a truly global environment. And global is not a loose word being thrown here, it means interacting with professers and peers from different nationalities from all walks of life. Pursuing streams and study tracks which take you to different parts of the world. International B-school programs will mold your perspective on an entirely different dimension. So it's not an apples to apples comparison here, depends on what you wish to do with your career.

-- Team Ivyctor
Neo2000
Ryan P @Neo2000 6,810
This tier-2 thing is more applicable to Indian b-schools than international ones. Leaving aside the usual suspects, there's very little to really differentiate in the top-30 schools. Each has its own pros and cons, and depending on the weightage given to them, fall somewhere in the pecking order. That is not to say they aren't great - you would have a fantastic experience wherever you went. It all comes down to where you think you would fit in the best and make the most of the opportunities offered to you.

The question you should be asking is where are you right now in your career and what are your long term plans. Then decide which type of school you want to go to. Nothing beats going to an IIM if you want to work in India and graduate with virtually no debt. International exposure, experienced classmates, living on your own in a foreign land and world-class proffs on the other hand...

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

7892 people follow this discussion.