About this discussion

Last updated

Author
Ryan P @Neo2000

Tags

Ask a Consultant! - GMAT/GRE Only

The GMAT section's been growing rapidly over the past few years but I'm sure you already know that. Unfortunately, it's becoming tougher for individual contributors to keep pace. Fortunately, a lot of consultants have been coming up to help! So as...
Follow this discussion to get notified of latest updates.
Page 26 of 386   

Hey,

I have started this discussion for people wanting to participate in discussions regarding different economic and financial developments happening across the globe. You can share your personal views, newspaper articles, editorials, informative videos and many other similar stuff that can enhance our intellect across several issues.

Also, I urge all the exam aspirants here to promote this thread because if large amount of people, aspiring for range of exams across different fields, converge at this thread, it will be helpful for the followers to prepare for different stages in selection processes like Group Discussions, Personal Interviews, Written Ability Tests, etc.

Moreover, there will be many who would have cleared the exam and are working in some institution or are preparing to start their journey in their beautiful career. I request you all to remain active at this thread because there will be ample amount of information that only you can provide and not the ones who are aspiring to clear competitive examinations

http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/economic-financial-rendezvous-36069600

Economic & Financial Rendezvous - PaGaLGuY
Economic & Financial Rendezvous - PaGaLGuY
Read 10 posts, connect with 146 users. This thread is for people enthusiastic about the developments happening in the world related to economic and financial issues and are eager to contribute in healthy discussions about them. People can their share personal views, articles, editorials and any other intellectual piece of information.

Pagalguy

• 2 Likes  
You want something, GO GET IT. Period!!!!!!!!! 

i have getting 250 score in GMAT exam .i have 4years and 4 months expriences in FMCG INDUSTRIES .I want to do an EMBA.so, please suggest me best b-school in INDIA.

• 1 Like   4 Comments
  • As per my knowledge 650 is required for a decent college. 27 Sep '15.
  • Hi, 200 is the minimum one can get and the world average .... 28 Sep '15.
vikash.mishra
vikash mishra @vikash.mishra 4

As per my knowledge 650 is required for a decent college 

prepzone
Prep Zone @prepzone 211

Hi, 200 is the minimum one can get and the world average is in 500s but to get into a quality school you will need at least a 680. I would recommend to please get tutorials, work hard and reattempt it especially because Indian schools will not accept that score. I hope this helps. Thank you

Hi All, Please evaluate my profile below :-

SSC : 80.4% (Maths : 99)

HSC : 78.2% (Maths : 98)

B.E (IT) : Delhi College of Engineering -65.39%

GMAT : 700 (Quant : 50,Verbal : 34)

Experience : 4 years in BFSI Sector (till Aug'15)

1)Fiserv(1 year) As software Engineer in Banking Industry

2)RMS(2 years) : As an analyst in Property Insurance(Insurance Sector)

3)AIG -American International Group(Currently working for 1 year now) : As an analyst in Property Insurance (Insurance Sector)

Brief job responsibilities : I do risk analytics in catastrophic insurance .The work includes portfolio risk aggregation ,validation of risk models and preparing reports which are used by stakeholders for underwriting and other business purpose

Extracurriculars:-

1)I was part of several CSR Activities

2)Dance -Participated in Several competitions at college and companies and won awards

3)Participated in Skit Competition at company and won award

Courses:-

I am registered for FRM (part -1) .Paper is due on 3rd week of November.FRM is world renowed certification for risk professionals

Post MBA Goals:

I would like to be a global risk professional in core finance.With MBA,I want to sharpen my consulting skills,broaden my exposure and knowledge.

I would like to take along my past experience in BFSI sector in my career ahead.I am sure my experience of technology and risk analytics will supplement with astute understanding of risk management space

Please advise on which international schools I should apply to taking my experience into consideration. (I may apply for retake for 720 + but not sure of timelines w.r.t college i should apply to).

Should I apply to ISB in Round -1 or Round 2 (after retake)

Is ISB not good for finance/Risk management.Would my past acads and experience stop me to have good offers in good companies.

In my personal opinion, a person getting admit in april gets placed in December .In 8 months,I have heard past experience matters a lot in your job offers.

Budget : 45-50 Lakhs (indulding Loans and Downpayment)

• 3 Comments
  • @ISBmantra.com Thank you for your reply.Which US Colleges.... 26 Sep '15.
  • School shortlisting is a process that happens once we sta.... 26 Sep '15.
Just go on the roll   
Rankaur
rankaur pagalguy123 @Rankaur 22

@ISBmantra.com Thank you for your reply.Which US Colleges should suit my profile.?

ISBmantra.com
ISBmantra.com @ISBmantra.com 2,043

School shortlisting is a process that happens once we start working with you. Random school names without any application strategy will not help. But you can assume that given your profile and GMAT, scholarship schools will fall in the US News Rank top 40. 

I registered for GRE General ETS test got no confirmation from ETS.I tried with a visa Debit card n then with a Visa Credit card .Money deducted both the time .The ETA on refund is also unclear. Any one knows how long will it take for the refund of the money .Should I try again for the third time?

Hi Please evaluate my profile and chances for EPGP (IIMB),ISB, Insead, PGPX- IIMA one year MBA course. With Pros and cons of my application. Thanks for your help.

Age - 29/Marital status - unmarried

SSC - 71% (2001)

HSC - 70% (2003)

B.Com - 60% (2006)

CA qualified in 2009

Professional experience :

1. Apprenticeship: J.C. Bhalla Consultancy (2006-09)

Worked in Insurance, Telecom, Healthcare, Agriculture and Automobile sector on providing support on Tax, Audits and finance consultancy. Some of the clients include Aviva Life Insurance, Airtel Telecom, Triveni Sugar, and Apollo Hospitals etc.

2. Assistant Manager : Deloitte Haskins and Sells (2009 - 2010)

Worked in tax consultancy to provide due diligence support and dealing with compliance framework for valuations. Clients included Tata Chemicals, CNBC TV-18, Mitsubishi India Private Limited etc.

3. Deputy Controller - India Controllership Organization : Agilent Technologies (March 2010 till April'15)

Working with Sales on various projects (High Sea sales implementation, Validation of Permanent establishment risk, Equipment leasing to Agilent Customers etc.), Business restructuring (Acquisition via slum sale arrangement and divestiture),  Internal & Statutory Audit of Sales entity in India, liasoning with various government authorities like Directorate of Revenue Intelligence (DRI), Appellate authorities on Direct Tax matters.

4. Co-Founder - Threado (April - till date) - Building a market place for Designers and tailors in Delhi NCR. I have been given the responsibility of getting on board Tailors and getting the website ready with supply chain management. Basically to do a proof of concept testing. I will be working on these roles till Exec MBA starts next year.

Achievements:

1. Employee of the year - 2014
  2. CFO Club Winner ( From US leadership team) - 2013
  3. Employee of the Year - CCO India - 2012
  4. Exceptional Contribution Award - 2008 - Internship with JCB, for working on Aviva Life Insurance

Working with Startups:

I have also worked with few startups in the past, advising them on Tax structure, deal finalisation , compliances. 

1.        Framebench Technologies

2.        Innovese technologies

3.        Blank page

All of these startups have gone through 3 rounds of funding and ultimately been acquired.

• 8 Comments
  • @raghavsood759 You have a decent overall story. Focus on .... 25 Sep '15.
  • @CareerDefiners pardon my ignorance but M7 is?. 25 Sep '15.
CareerDefiners
Career Definers.com @CareerDefiners 38

@raghavsood759 You have a decent overall story. Focus on your GMAT and get up to 720. Then you can target all top b-schools including M7. Good luck!

raghavsood759
Raghav Sood @raghavsood759

@CareerDefiners pardon my ignorance but M7 is?

Please evaluate my profile:

10th - 82% CBSE(2004)

12th - 73% CBSE(2006)

B.E - 75%  RGPV University Bhopal (2007-2011)

Extra Activities:

***Having NCC A Certificate

***Was House Captain in My School during class 12th

***Participated in many Science and General quizzes including DRDO science quiz(participation certificate I have)

***Won few internal awards like on the spot award in my current organisation. 

Currently I am having exact 4 years experience in India as Software developer and Big Data  . I am planning to give GMAT in few months time . 

So considering my short profile and assuming SOP and remaining things are fine how much would you say the GMAT score will put my candidature in good position .And apart from that anything else that you would suggest to improve my profile as i have substantial  amount of time as i am targeting 2017-2018 batch .Mainly i want to target the ISB and IIM B EPGP .So suggestion specific to these are most welcomed. Any other good B School you suggest that also will be helpful.Please give candid opinion so that i can improve my profile and target that much GMAT score.

SOME INFO REGARDING WORK Experience:

My 4 years of experience is basically as a Software developer . Mostly i worked in Java and Big Data . I am managing a team of 2-3 members. Earlier i was in Infosys there i got promoted from System Engineer  to Senior System Engineer.I completed Infosys Mysore Training with CGPA 4.56 out of 5

Thanks 

• 9 Comments
  • If you have over 8 years of work experience, please look .... 30 Sep '15.
  • @ISBmantra.com @prepzone @CareerDefiners @Grk9 Af.... 30 Sep '15.
prepzone
Prep Zone @prepzone 211

If you have over 8 years of work experience, please look at ISB & IIM A, B & C. I hope this helps. Thank you

vikash.mishra
vikash mishra @vikash.mishra 4

@ISBmantra.com    @prepzone  @CareerDefiners  @Grk9    After reading the above comments by you people what i understood that as i am having just 4 years of experience so its very difficult for me to get into IIM A B C or ISB . Then my query is that having 4 or 5 years of experience and If i want to do MBA and that too from the above mentioned college then Should i give CAT and join their 2 year course ? But I have heard there are very few people having 5 years of experience in 2 year course . Please clear my concerns. Thanks in Advance . I am getting in TIME mock 99+.

Hi! Have my GMAT in a week. If any of the consultants or recent test takers could help me with this qestion of mine - Do we have to select the universities we wish to send our scores before the exam starts or after we finish it and get our score ? Also, how much time do we get to select the schools ?

• 4 Comments
  • yes, so your best bet will be to to think its the average.... 24 Sep '15.
  • @prepzone \- Thank you so much!. 24 Sep '15.
The beginning and the end . . CAT15 99.86    CAT14 99.27     GMAT 770(51/44)      Admits 2015-16 - Duke University, USA 
prepzone
Prep Zone @prepzone 211

yes, so your best bet will be to to think its the average of the last 3 mock exams you have written (hopefully in the last 3 weeks or so) and hence deduce the schools you want to send your score to. Thank you

adi_dosa_desh
Aditya Deshpande @adi_dosa_desh 205

@prepzone - Thank you so much!

Hi All,

I am appearing for my GMAT exam this weekend and will start applying for colleges soon after that. Just need some advice if my profile is good enough for Business schools as I don't have the average work experience mentioned in the websites of various schools.

10th : CBSE - 88.6%

12th CBSE - 91%

EEE Engineering from a deemed university - 8.92 CGPA

I will be completing my 2years of work experience as a Software Engineer in a MNC in Feb 2016.

Leadership Skills

- Managed the complete functioning of the science exhibition of my University for 3years (2009-2012) as the chief coordinator in the annual tech fest

- Managed the complete budget and organised the photo exhibition cum competition of the college as the chief coordinator in 2013

- Coordinated the college's cultural fest for 2 years in terms of planning and execution

- Managed the budget and smooth functioning of all the department based events for students in college for 4years

- Led my project team at College's final year assignment. 

Extra Curricular

- Four certifications in Harvard Management Mentor

- An avid photographer, won 2 photographic events at tech fests of 2 colleges in Odisha

- Awarded student of the year (2007) award in 10th class

- Awarded certificate of merit by CBSE for scoring full marks in 2 subjects in 10th board

- 4th rank in state and 238th national rank in International Informatics Olympiad

I afford at max $50k - $60k through loans and scholarships.

Please advice if I should apply for any of the good B-Schools in USA or wait for a few more years to gain a bit more of industry experience or apply for MiM courses. Also I am interested in Sauders and Telfer Business schools of Canada. Can I expect a call from these two colleges in case I apply?

• 3 Comments
  • Hi Ashmin, you have a brilliant profile however at work i.... 24 Sep '15.
  • Buddy my sincere suggestion would be work at least 3 more.... 24 Sep '15.
Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest. ರ_ರ 
prepzone
Prep Zone @prepzone 211

Hi Ashmin, you have a brilliant profile however at work it seems you are only just digging in. I would recommend more quality progress at work for the next 2 - 3 years and look at an MBA especially since you have a budget. In the years to come, you might be able to save or source money and be able to give yourself the career progression you deserve through a quality MBA from a top school. Post 2 years of work until now and 3 yrs by the time you enter the MIM class, I will actually not recommend the MIM since that is for fresh grads between 0 - 2 yrs of work exp. I hope this helps. Thank you

Grk9
@Grk9 1,015

Buddy my sincere suggestion would be work at least 3 more years and then go for GMAT

Hi people,

I need some info .planning to take GMAT soon this year,targeting admission '2016

My profile is as follows:

10th: CBSE Board : 74%

12th: CBSE : 76%

Grads: BE Computer Science: 88%

I have a work experience of 2+ years as a Software Engineer in MNC.

Extra curricular  : little less experience in this area.

Stating a few here:

Represented my district in district level cricket tournament.

Organized symposium in college.

Please tell me what are my chances for admission in 2016 .

• 3 Comments
  • Without knowing you work experience, its tough to gauge y.... 23 Sep '15.
  • Hi Shivam, hope you are well. With your work experience c.... 24 Sep '15.
admitlane
www.AdmitLane.com @admitlane 144

Without knowing you work experience, its tough to gauge your chances. However, with 2+ years of work-ex, I would like to see a 720+ score for a good chance at getting in interview. All the best.

prepzone
Prep Zone @prepzone 211

Hi Shivam, hope you are well. With your work experience currently I would actually recommend you look at at 2017 or 2018 even for an MBA that will benefit you most. Currently with your profile, even a good GMAT score might not help you get into top schools of your choice. Work more on your profile at work and outside for the next year or so, take time to write the GMAT and then apply will be my advice. Thank you

Guys I need some clarity for applying to B-Schools.

My profile is as follows:

10th: State Board : 78.33%

12th: CBSE : 68.83%

Grads: BE Computer Science: 54.44 %

I took additional 2years to complete my BE degree, due to personal problems.

I have a work ex of (12+16 months=28 Months) ; 12 months on contract as a system admin and 16 months in a PSU bank as a Assistant Manager.

Extra curricular  : Winner of inter club tennis tournament, participated in State Level and National level tennis competitions. 

Winner of various city and state level quiz contests.

Junior Red Cross, Marathon runner and also was into events as a coordinator and was working as a session musician for bread and butter. Organised India's first multi city album launch of Indian Bands in 2013.

Tell me what are my chances of getting a B-school and which ones would accept my profile. I am looking for exams and admissions in 2016

• 1 Like   3 Comments
  • Target 730+ GMAT and then you can go for decent schools! .... 23 Sep '15.
  • Thank yo so much for the feedback. 24 Sep '15.
If not now then when?
CareerDefiners
Career Definers.com @CareerDefiners 38

Target 730+ GMAT and then you can go for decent schools! Good luck!

natecatxat
nate catxat @natecatxat 35

Thank yo so much for the feedback

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

9188 people follow this discussion.