About this discussion

Last updated

Author
Ryan P @Neo2000

Tags

Ask a Consultant! - GMAT/GRE Only

The GMAT section's been growing rapidly over the past few years but I'm sure you already know that. Unfortunately, it's becoming tougher for individual contributors to keep pace. Fortunately, a lot of consultants have been coming up to help! So as...
Follow this discussion to get notified of latest updates.
Page 26 of 213   

Hi. I have 5 yrs of exp. in Corp HR ( in India, with MNCs ) with a PG Diploma in HR from a  2 tier college  in India. I am interested in pursuing acads/teaching and therefore wanting to take up a PhD in HRM from universities such as York,NUS and likes . Wanted some help in understanding my chances and also if a GMAT/GRE would be required. Any help is highly appreciated.

I gave GRE and got 313, AWA 3. I plan to get into top b schools. I know this score is not upto the mark for top b schools. So want to know that should I give GRE again for better score or just go for entirely new exam,i.e, GMAT score as I have seen that many colleges still don't take GRE score. 

• 1 Like   4 Comments
  • What score score should I be targeting in gmat? My main p.... 26 Jul '14.
  • A GMAT score above 700 with an AWA of 5 would be desirabl.... 26 Jul '14.
hardilsarao2213
@hardilsarao2213 1

What score score should I be targeting in gmat? My main problem is the awa whats the minimum score needed in that??

ivyctor2010
ivyctor 2010 @ivyctor2010 918

A GMAT score above 700 with an AWA of 5 would be desirable to get into top B Schools. But as already pointed out, the decision for appearing for GMAT/GRE should be based on the time and preparation that you can afford.

LIVE CHAT : XAT 2015 Results and Post MBA Job Scenario

Discuss XAT Results and talk about queries related to job & career opportunities post an MBA degree to:-

1) Prof Biju Pillai (Director - IT & Professor In-Charge Admissions)

2)Dr. Dimple Saini (Director -Corporate Relations )

Follow the thread and tag @BIMM  to get your answers.

CHAT HERE

You can download the online brochure & get more details about BIMM, BITM, BIMHRD and BIIB.

Download Now

Hi, 

i would like your opinion on my chances of making it into these universities . 
1. Harvard Business School 
2. Booth School of Business 
3. MIT Sloan 
4. Stanford Graduate School of Business 
5. Wharton UPenn 
6. Kellog School of Management 
7.University of California , Berkley , Haas School of Business 
8. London Business School 
9. Cornell University 
10. Duke University 
11. Yale University 

My Gmat score is : 730(q50,v40,IR 6/8, AWA 3.5) 
I have spent 24 months in a reputed hardware industry , and have performed well(Should be able to get an LOR) 
Apart from this i was the founder of an Non-Profit Organisation(7 members) whose work was appreciated/recognised by Mayor of the city and was covered in 7 newspaper dailies(during my graduation). 
I was unanimously elected as the member of the Placement Committee(Training and Placement Office of my Graduation Institute) and was a part of the team for 2 years for the placement of 700-900 students per year. 

Graduation Info: 
B.Tech(Electronics and Telecomm , NIT Raipur) 
CGPA : 8.28/10 
10th: 92.6(ICSE) 
12th : 87 (CBSE) 

i am planning to apply for 2015 fall,(36 months WE) 

Let me know if you need more info for evaluating this profile. 
Would be really grateful for your inputs 

Thanks 
rt 

• 5 Comments
  • Hi @waynebruce! School selection is an important and rigo.... 28 Jul '14.
  • @waynebruce You could write to us as already mentioned. A.... 28 Jul '14.
ISBmantra.com
ISB mantra @ISBmantra.com 1,495

Hi @waynebruce! School selection is an important and rigorous process. It can be risky to ask for school suggestions randomly on forums. We would need to consider several factors to understand your needs and expectations. One of us will get in touch with you if it interests you. 

All the Best!

'ISBmantra / EssaySunday'

ivyctor2010

@waynebruce You could write to us as already mentioned. A detailed evaluation and discussion would be needed keeping parameters like career goals, geography. course length, affordability etc in mind

Hello, Can you pls review my profile and let me know which colleges I can target

Schooling

X- 93.4%

XII- 93.6% ( Topper of Science Stream)

Scholarship holder for 7 consecutive yr

Graduation

B.Tech- 75.7% (NSIT, Delhi University)

Scholarship holder for first 3 years

Part of Department football team. Winner of College Football Tournament twice

Part of SIFE (Students in Free Enterprise)  chapter at NSIT. Worked with an NGO to provide rickshaw pullers micro-finance loans, help in opening their bank accounts and provide their self-owned new rickshaws

Work experience

2 yrs work experience as Analyst at Mckinsey & Company. Worked on multiple studies across Technology and Telecom domain.

Good opportunity for global exposure- visited numerous countries in Asia. Worked closely with colleagues in US and Europe

GMAT-710 ( Q-50, VA-34, AWA-4.5, IR-5) 

• Good profile @vikramdhingra90! Waiting for a year and 740.... 26 Jul '14.
  • Decent acads and GMAT score can get you into the top B Sc.... 26 Jul '14.
ISBmantra.com

Good profile @vikramdhingra90! Waiting for a year and 740+ on GMAT can even get you in the top 15, but this year you may have to settle for the top 30. ISB is a certain reality though. The exact list of schools can be suggested only after a more detailed discussion. 

All the Best!

ivyctor2010

Decent acads and GMAT score can get you into the top B Schools. Only concern could be the limited years of work exp, though an experience with Mc Kinsey is something that Adcom would not like to overlook. To suggest you better, get in touch with us through the Private Message or Email us your resume and details at info@ivyctor.com

Hi

Can you please tell with my profile do i have any hope for doing mba from a top notch colg.

10 87%

12,68%B.tech it 66% (distinction from bharati vidyapeethvidyapeeth 2011 pass out

Work ex 3yrs (in oct) in TCS

Please help

• 9 Comments
  • 740+. 25 Jul '14.
  • Try for a GMAT above 720. Also, as you belong to the pool.... 25 Jul '14.
ivyctor2010

Try for a GMAT above 720. Also, as you belong to the pool of IT applicants, you will need a strong application along with an impressive set of essays.For a detailed discussion, you can get in touch with us. Private Message us and send in your resume at info@ivyctor.com

Hello All,

Please let me know which colleges should I target. I am open to colleges in India, US and Australia. Following are my profile highlights:

* 10th - 83%

* 12 - 76%
* B.Tech. - 2005 - 65%

* PGCBM (2009-2010) - XLRI, Jamshedpur

* 9 years of IT Consulting experience (Indian IT majors & now a US firm) - Roles - Programmer, Business Analyst and now Project Manager

>   5 years in India
  >   4 years in US

Multiple industry certifications including PMP.
Yet to give GMAT.

• 7 Comments
  • @ISBmantra.com I look forward to hear from you.. 25 Jul '14.
  • @MansieDewanConsulting Thanks for the insight Mansie! I c.... 25 Jul '14.
abhimarian
@abhimarian 23

@ISBmantra.com I look forward to hear from you.

abhimarian
@abhimarian 23

@MansieDewanConsulting Thanks for the insight Mansie! I could not agree with you more. Considering the aggregate cost of MBA (including lost salaries) 2 year programs become prohibitive.

Hence I'm leaning more towards 1 year programs. I'm currently working in gevernment finance IT consulting. I want my MBA to support me in specialize in Corporate Finance / Banking / Investment IT Consulting.

Read my analysis of the recently released Kellogg Essays:

Essay Advice :MBA Decoder (New) : PaGaLGuY : The Education Network
Essay Advice :MBA Decoder (New) : PaGaLGuY : The Education Network
What is the challenging experience that you have had? Go on to describe the event, giving details that make the picture complete- Who were the other people involved? What was your role in the situation vis-à-vis theirs? What were the challenges that you faced? Did they arise from people or processes or both?

Pagalguy

• 1 Like  
  • ouch!!!. 24 Jul '14.

Hi, 

Please evaluate my profile for ISB, NUS, Emory Goizueta, and HKUST.

10th - 90.2%

12th- 84.6%

CGPA- 7.57

Undergrad collg- Birla Institute of technology,Mesra.

GMAT -750

Work Exp : 

3 years as an IT consultant with Deloitte Consulting.Started up a business venture in the field of consumer fashion while working in Deloitte, post Deloitte working on it full time(6 months+ exp.) Associated with 'THE HOPE Foundation' as a volunteer for Child rights and Protection in Calcutta slums( 3 months+ exp.) 

• 3 Likes   15 Comments
  • @ivyctor2010 Thanks for your reply. Can you shed some lig.... 12 Aug '14.
  • NUS is higher ranked but NTU is as good as well.Going bey.... 13 Aug '14.
suchi1247
Suchi @suchi1247 9

@ivyctor2010 Thanks for your reply. Can you shed some light on how good NTU is comapared to NUS? And also the overall fee and exposure difference between the two.

ivyctor2010

NUS is higher ranked but NTU is as good as well.Going beyond the rankings,both have their focus in place.For fee structure, I suggest you visit their website. NUS is a little on the higher side but you can apply for scholarships. NUS is believed to be  more Finance focused ( but exposures in areas of Marketing, Strategy, Ops are good enough as well). People from IT backgrounds prefer both NUS and NTU.

Hi ,I am 22 years female chemical engineer and interested in pursuing MBA in human resources. please evaluate my profile and suggest some good B-School in India where i can apply. GMAT : 680 10th - 90% 12th - 91 % and B Tech 8.35 passed in 2014. 

PS: i can choose other than human resources in case of better opportunity please ssuggest

Awaited for your valuable guidance 

• 1 Like   4 Comments
  • Passed in 2014, Means you have less than 6 months of expe.... 23 Jul '14.
  • Hi @jyt0803! Your acads are good and you should be able t.... 23 Jul '14.
ivyctor2010

Passed in 2014, Means you have less than 6 months of experience....It would be good to think about gaining some experience and once you have more clarity on what kind of a role you want to do post MBA, you can focus on your next steps - thinking on career goals and applying to B Schools accordingly

ISBmantra.com

Hi @jyt0803! Your acads are good and you should be able to target some very good schools like SP Jain, Great Lakes etc. But ISB has also opened up through the Early Entry Option to candidates with less than 2 yrs workex. Visit the isb site or for more details on the EEO. If you intend to apply, you should start working on the application now since the Round 1 deadline is September 15. 

All the Best!

Hi ,I am 22 years female chemical engineer and interested in pursuing MBA in human resources. please evaluate my profile and suggest some good B-School in India where i can apply. GMAT : 680 10th - 90% 12th - 91 % and B Tech 8.35 passed in 2014. 

PS: i can choose other than human resources in case of better opportunity please ssuggest

Awaited for your valuable guidance 

Hi. I am a mechanical engineer and am interested in pursing MBA in operations management. please evaluate my profile and suggest some good B-schools where i can apply.

GMAT: 730

10th- 88%

12th-85%

b.tech- 78% 

nationality: indian

work ex: 3+ years in Fluor Daniels (working as a piping design engineer)

Extra Curricular: working with a NGO from past 2 years

participated in and won various inter school art competitions.

part of poetry club in school. 

cleared Alliance Francais level A1 and A2.

part of robotics club in school.

member of toast masters.

member of amercican society of mechanical engineers(ASME)

trained classical singer.

• 4 Comments
  • Hi @dee.can1107! You have a very good profile for some of.... 22 Jul '14.
  • thanks guys for ur valuable advice... 22 Jul '14.
ISBmantra.com

Hi @dee.can1107! You have a very good profile for some of the top programs. Though there are schools like MIT Sloan, Tepper, Ross, Kelley (requires TOEFL) etc that are perfect, there are safer schools worth keeping on the list such as Purdue, Carey, Smeal, RSM etc. One needs to consider several factors for the final shortlist of schools and with your profile, good planning can deliver awesome results. 

All the Best!

dee.can1107
deepti kaur @dee.can1107 3

thanks guys for ur valuable advice..

Hello sir/madam,

i have a small query..

what are the basic characteristics of work that can be considered as "work experience" for getting admission into a top business school in London?

• 10 Comments
  • some Schools consider. Some dont. You need to write to t.... 22 Jul '14.
  • @ivyctor2010 thanks a lot :smiley:. 22 Jul '14.
ivyctor2010

some Schools consider. Some dont.  You need to write to the B School and find out.

Hello seniors, please evaluate my profile and let me know if it's good enough for top schools in the US.

Here's my profile:

GMAT - 710 (Q50, V35, IR5, AWA 5.5)

Nationality: Indian

Education:
UG: BSc in Hospitality and Hotel Administration from Institute of Hotel Management, Pusa, Delhi (considered the best college for HM in India) - 64% marks - 2008 

PG: 2 year full time Post Graduate Program in International Business from Shri Ram College of Commerce, Delhi University  - 68% marks - 2012

12th: 66% (Science stream)

10th: 80.4% (with 95 in maths and 88 in science) 

Work Experience:
1) Assistant Supervisor (Catering) - Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation, Delhi - 8 months (2008 - 2009)
2) Research Analyst - Egon Zehnder Information & Research Services Private Limited, Delhi - 1 year 10 months (July 2012 - May 2014)

Total work experience - 2.5 years

Extracurricular:

1) Was a part of the anti ragging squad in undergraduate college

2) Was also a part of Official Outdoor Catering team of the college, and member of the college football squad.

3) During graduate course, I was a non-executive member of Placement Committee and also an active participant of the Quizzing society. 

4) Took on mentoring responsibility for 3 new joiners within 1 year of joining Egon Zehnder.

5) Took on additional responsibility for conducting English grammar practice sessions for team members.

6) Stood third in a general knowledge quiz held for the Research team.

7) Recognized as a GEM (Go an Extra Mile) in January 2013. This distinction is presented to those employees who take on additional responsibilities in addition to their routine duties.· 

Targeted Post MBA Specialization: Consulting, Finance and Analytics 

Please let me know which all colleges I could apply to with such a profile? 

Regards,
Ankit Dayal

• 6 Comments
  • Ankit, 710 is also decent for a few schools that you woul.... 25 Jul '14.
ivyctor2010

Ankit, 710 is also decent for a few schools that you would like to target. I would be more considered about your work experience part rather than the score for International Schools.Consider giving your valuable time for a retake on GMAT, only if you are sure of bettering your previous record.

Hi.I completed my chemical engineering in 2008 and currently working in a reputed Pharma company for the past 5 and half year. I have experience in production , planning , scale up (Co-coordinating with cross functional teams for the timely delivery of the project).I am planning to take my GMAT and apply for 2015 .Please suggest how to move forward . 

• 9 Comments
  • If you are planning to take GMAT in 2015, you should thin.... 21 Jul '14.
  • @GMATinsight Thanks for your valuable suggestion.... 22 Jul '14.
ivyctor2010

If you are planning to take GMAT in 2015, you should think first on the basics - why MBA, what do you want to do post MBA, whether MBA. Once you have figured it out, plan for your GMAT, giving approx 4-5 months of preparation. Also research on the kind of programs you want to apply to ( 1 yr/2 yr/ geography/ focus ). 

prathysrikant
srikanth prathy @prathysrikant

@GMATinsight Thanks for your valuable suggestion...

Hi! am going for GMAT after my MS.. for PGDM...no work ex.. I wanted to know what score would be needed so that I can compete with the other candidates who hv work ex..

• 3 Comments
  • but the SP Jain FAQ web site says that work ex is not man.... 22 Jul '14.
  • Sorry my mistake @ SP Jain PGDM - work exp not reqd. PGPM.... 22 Jul '14.
gorweedious
Gunjan Mahindre @gorweedious 9

but the SP Jain FAQ web site says that work ex is not mandatory!! am confused :/

ivyctor2010

Sorry my mistake @ SP Jain PGDM - work exp not reqd. PGPM - 5 years of work exp.

But yes, if you are looking at other B Schools like ISB etc  work experience is required.

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

8093 people follow this discussion.