About this discussion

Last updated

Author
Ryan P @Neo2000

Tags

Ask a Consultant! - GMAT/GRE Only

The GMAT section's been growing rapidly over the past few years but I'm sure you already know that. Unfortunately, it's becoming tougher for individual contributors to keep pace. Fortunately, a lot of consultants have been coming up to help! So as...
Follow this discussion to get notified of latest updates.
Page 26 of 407   

Hi, 10th : 90%, 12th : 88%, B.Tech : 84%, Work Ex : 2.5 yrs in IT as a Business Analyst. Won many awards in School, College and at workplace. Certifications Completed : 1) Six Sigma Green Belt 2) Certified Supply Chain Management 3) ISEB BCS Business Analyst Reason for MBA: Willing to change the work sector from IT and climb up my career ladder as a Consultant. Issues Faced: Wrote CAT thrice but failed to get a decent score. Wrote GMAT once but self study, so scored 550 only. So all I need is experts suggestion to guide me what I should do next. I have great passion and aspiration to pursue an MBA n learn more. No financial constraints, so willing to study within/outside India. I have complete understanding n knowledge knowledge about the Indian BSchool system. Also i have done my research on the European BSchools as well. I am totally confused at this point of time as what I should do further. 1) continue my work in IT 2) join any coaching centre and take GMAT once again 3) temporarily shift to other sector apart from IT and start to gain more workex. @MansieDewanConsulting : any help here please?

• 7 Comments
  • Sure @vicks92 , I just meant it to be a light-hearted com.... 22 Jan.
  • here what I would do - I will give my self one or two mor.... 22 Jan.
ayushmansurekha
Ayushman Surekha @ayushmansurekha 35

Sure @vicks92 , I just meant it to be a light-hearted comment.

Anshulmba
Anshul Sharma @Anshulmba 60

here what I would do - I will give my self one or two more years in IT and get a little more mature with business , process and focus on the management sides of things. An onsite opportunity will be a great experience for you and will definitely look nice on the resume. In the meantime, I would only concentrate on getting a score because without a descent score everything falls apart. Would not recommend to work on GMAT and Applications together (a good recipe for disaster). I am not sure of your inclination towards  European schools in such a sad economy in that region and if US is not on your radar. Secondly, consultant is a overly rated and generic term, you need to be a little more specific what in consulting - management, supply chain, finance, IT you name it. More questions fee free to IM me. Who am i? I was in your shoes 10 years back and have learn quite a bit ever since them. cheers

No advertising.   20 Jan
12 people answered this question.
1 Comments
740! MBA | Coach | Recruiter| www.fromgmattomba.com | Austin , TX 
You can view the comments after answering or skipping this question.

Hi,

Profile-

10th-81-2006

12th-60-2008

B.Tech( Electronics, Non IIT/NIT) - 6.3/10-2012

Work Exp- Infosys(since Apr 2013, 33 months cont.). Earned several awards relating to work during this period.

Extra Curricular- Represented states team in basketball, Captained college and corporate team. 

As I stated my preparation late(mid Nov) to pursue for MBA I was only able to appear in XAT and SNAP. I am scoring around 23 in XAT and scored 88 %le in SNAP. I have a domicile quota for XIMB.

1. When should I take GMAT for admission into any good colleges(India/abroad)  in 2016 ? If possible. 

2. Given my score and profile, if I get an admission to GLIM/KJ/TAPMI/MICA/XIMB/IMT, would it be wise to join the college or to wait for another year and try better in GMAT/CAT/XAT ? I am confused because a lot of people have been saying that 3+ yrs of work exp is a turn off for indian colleges while going for a 2-yr PGP.

3. Does foreign colleges also show lack of interest towards candidates with 3+ work exp ?

4. As I have poor grades in 12th and BTech, how bad are my chances to get into good colleges(India/abroad) through GMAT?

Thanks a lot. 

• 5 Comments
  • yes. In India, you could focus on ISB, SP Jain or look we.... 20 Jan.
  • @MansieDewanConsulting got it. Thanks. 20 Jan.
MansieDewanConsulting
Mansie Dewan @MansieDewanConsulting 5,635

yes. In India, you could focus on ISB, SP Jain or look westwards. If an MBA is an important component to achieve your career goals, then it will positively happen-domestic or international! The GMAT will open many avenues for you.

Hi

I have started preparing for GMAT and would like to appear in the month of June/July. I need your advice regarding some of my queries
I would like to introduce my profile first, so that it could help you in addressing my queries
Class 10- 84%, Class 12- 79.6and B. Tech (NSIT DELHI)- 63.56% in Instrumentation & Control.
Work Ex- 3.5Yrs (CITY GAS DISTRIBUTION COMPANY- IGL)
Job Profile- Deputy Manager (operation & maintenance)
Current Responsibilities-
1) Maintenance planning and Execution
2) Planning, executing and monitoring Improvement projects.
3) Responsible for implementing Asset Management framework in the organization for Asset Optimization (Closely related to Reliability Engineering)
4) Participates in the technical audits and follow up for Compliance

So my queries are

1)According to my profile/work ex, which MBA specialization would suit me for my career growth.

2)How much minimum score should I target in GMAT to get short listed in Indian Colleges and for studying abroad

3) I cannot go for a classroom coaching due to location constraints, so kindly suggest me some online preparation course.

4) If i go for a self study mode of preparation, what are the resources needed for that? Resources refers to here are Books/study materials/ online course contents? Kindly mention the name

• 6 Comments
  • @shbht *1)*According to my profile/work ex, which MBA s.... 20 Jan.
  • ok. I cannot pass up on this without answering. Take what.... 22 Jan.
GMATinsight
GMAT INSIGHT 9999687183 @GMATinsight 157

@shbht 

1)According to my profile/work ex, which MBA specialization would suit me for my career growth.--- Operations Management

2)How much minimum score should I target in GMAT to get short listed in Indian Colleges and for studying abroad - 680+ for top 50 schools in world including ISB hyderabad

3) I cannot go for a classroom coaching due to location constraints, so kindly suggest me some online preparation course.-

You may Join one of

GMATinsight, Kaplan, Manhattan,  Jamboree for Online One-on-One classes.

or Join e-GMAT, Magoosh for recorded Sessions.

Take a FREE Demo first and the Decide. If you want I can share more details in a PM

4) If i go for a self study mode of preparation, what are the resources needed for that? Resources refers to here are Books/study materials/ online course contents? Kindly mention the name-

For self Study refer Manhattan Books for both Quant and Verbal, Official Guide, Quant and Verbal Review, and follow forums like GMAT CLUB, Beat the GMAT for quality questions and explanations.

Prosper!!!

"GMATinsight" (Online and Classroom GMAT Trainer)

Anshulmba

ok. I cannot pass up on this without answering. Take what it's worth for. if you have more question feel free to IM me. 1) You do not choose specialization based on your past alone. MBA is a forward looking activity where you choose your goals and then decide what specialization will be best for you. MBA 1st year helps you a lot to pick the right specialization. Your past experience will certainly help you make a smoother transition if you are choosing to go to the same/similar industry or same/similar function. Third component i.e. your role certainly changes after MBA. 2 all i can say you cannot stand an average give your best shot above class average will give you an admit class top score will help you with a scholarship. 3. yes, it possible, google or ring them up and you will figure out 4. whoever you will ring up will help you with that. choose the best and its not hard to find. good luck

Hi 

My profile in short :

10th % : 86.5

Inter 88.4%

B.Tech: 70.8%

Work exp: 4 Years in TCS

GMAT score : 650

I dont have any location preference for doing MBA

I'm only concerned about ROI and Campus placements/Jobs

In India , I'm applying for GreatLakes

Abroad, I m unable to decide.Could you suggest any good universities abroad ? like in Canada/Aus/Eupore.

Does Spain colleges do any good for me ?

Thanks in advance

• 11 Comments
  • I think you can do better and go to a better school. Not .... 20 Jan.
Anshulmba

I think you can do better and go to a better school. Not saying that great lakes not good but there are better out there. If you can articulate your 4 years experience well there are plethora of opportunities open for you. IM me if you have more questions. Who am I? Anshul, US MBA alum and love to help students. Thanks

Hi, My query is regarding admissions in top b school in India through gmat score for indian students. As I am from India only and I want to know if I am still applicable for the admissions in b schools of india through gmat because many of the bschools accept gmat scores but it is applicable for nri or foreigners only please provide me with the list of bschools in india accepting gmat score for indian students and with no work experience please please do rply asap

thankyou in advance

• 4 Comments
  • @kashyap2988 please reply. 15 Jan.
  • Why to rush for MBA then? gain some experience to make MB.... 20 Jan.
Anshulmba

Why to rush for MBA then? gain some experience to make MBA education worth it. Just my 2 cents on it. Thanks Anshul

Hi All, I don't have much knowledge about ISB admission procedures. Here is my profile: Class 10th : 74% Class 12th : 76% B.Tech. : 89% Work experience: 2 years 5 months till date in MNC. Gold medalist in B.Tech (overall semesters). Planning for 2017 classroom program. Below are my queries: 1. According to my profile,what should be an eligible gmat score? 2. When can I take gmat this year.? 3.Am I eligible for 1 year executive MBA.? Please address the above queries. Thanks .

• 9 Comments
  • @anshulmba to save time. 20 Jan.
  • I am guessing you are worried about the opportunity cost..... 21 Jan.
sristi13
sristi kumari @sristi13

@anshulmba to save time

Anshulmba

I am guessing you are worried about the opportunity cost. think about the increase compensation per year post MBA and compare that with your current one year compensation. IM me if you'd like to discuss more. thanks

Hi, I am planning to take GMAT exam this year. I am already 10 years experience. Will it do any favor in my career if I wish to take admission in Indian B-School. Will my experience carry negative points for getting into the B-School. Please clarify.

• 6 Comments
  • Chandrachur - experience is invaluable at any point in yo.... 20 Jan.
Anshulmba

Chandrachur - experience is invaluable at any point in your career. Your job is to narrate a story that articulates your experience, accomplishments , learning and how you have steadily advanced in your career in these many year. If you can do that you might have a better chance than rest of the candidates.

Hello everyone. I want to start my preparation for GMAT and have absolutely no idea about where to start and how to go about it. I only have OG 15. 1. Are there any good online classes that i can take ? (classroom coaching is not available nearby my place). 2. When should i preferably take the exam for admission in the next academic year i.e 2017-19. 3. Which Indian schools accept the score? 4. What other books/ material/ online material (like videos or torrents ) do i need to buy? Thanks in advance.

• 7 Comments
  • Hi Raghav! My 2 cents: 1\. I have personally heard good .... 15 Jan.
  • I have their course (Magoosh )and its awesome trust me.. 15 Jan.
pgsk
Sriram Krishnan @pgsk 277

Hi Raghav! My 2 cents:

1. I have personally heard good reviews about Magoosh. Their free videos on their site and other forums are pretty good. However, I have not seen their course. So try and check a few reviews online before purchasing.

2. Let's work backwards. The first admissions cycle starts in Aug/Sep. You will need around 2 months to submit a good application. So ideally you should have taken your GMAT by the end of May so that you get a good chunk of time to work on your applications which are extremely important. Ideal preparation time for GMAT is 3 months (give or take a month). Hence, now is a good time to start prep.

3. I think Akshat has already mentioned the schools in the comments above.

4. I recommend the entire Manhattan series if you are weak in both Quant and Verbal. However, if you are good in Quant, then buy only the Manhattan Sentence Correction book. Buy the Official Guide 16 and optionally, the Official Guide Verbal books. Solve all questions from these 2 books. If you need more questions on Critical Reasoning, then look up 'Powerscore CR Bible'. 

Finish the theory first and then start taking mocks. Analyzing a mock is the best way to improve. Maintain an error log with the errors that you make in mocks so that you know where you are going wrong. Try not to make the same error again.

Hope this helps! Feel free to ping in case of any doubts.

kashyap2988
Destiny01 88 @kashyap2988 520

I have their course (Magoosh )and its awesome trust me.

Did colleges notice 10th and 12th score as well while applying, if the scores are low like 60% and gmat score 680then also is there is any chance of getting in a good reputed college?

• 5 Comments
  • Most admission processes look for a consistent pattern. I.... 14 Jan.
  • Abhinav - MBA is not like taking admission in undergrad. .... 20 Jan.
sudhendar.rao
Sudhi Rao@MYRA @sudhendar.rao 9

Most admission processes look for a consistent pattern. If your 10th & 12Th are an aberration, then you will be able to explain it in your SOP or during the personal interview.

Anshulmba

Abhinav - MBA is not like taking admission in undergrad. GMAT score matters but no one cares of your 60% anyways. Put up a good application good story line in your essays and rest all is not even secondary. Thanks

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

9558 people follow this discussion.
Upcoming Events