About this discussion

Last updated

Author
Ryan P @Neo2000

Tags

Ask a Consultant! - GMAT/GRE Only

The GMAT section's been growing rapidly over the past few years but I'm sure you already know that. Unfortunately, it's becoming tougher for individual contributors to keep pace. Fortunately, a lot of consultants have been coming up to help! So as...
Follow this discussion to get notified of latest updates.
Page 26 of 325   

Hi, I have 3.5 years of experience in the power sector. Graduated in 2011 (electrical engineering, NIT Kurukshetra) CGPA-9.01, 12th 88%, 10th 88%, GRE - 312 (148,164) and have to give my TOEFL on 6th Dec.

The problem is that most of the application deadlines is 15th Dec, while I could not find a date for the toefl prior to that, what should I do, as the toefl scores would arrive In 2-3 weeks, i.e. after the application deadlines.

Also suggest best universities for MS in electrical engineering.

• 6 Comments
  • Hi @Gmat4me Where did you pick up the info that ALL dea.... 14 Nov '14.
  • Hi Manila, You can still apply for 15th Dec deadlines pro.... 24 Nov '14.
Psychodementia
Arun Jagannathan @Psychodementia 5,515

Hi @Gmat4me 

Where did you pick up the info that ALL deadlines are over by Dec-15?

Here is the answer to your second question:

http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/university-subject-rankings/2014/engineering-elec...
(Hint: I copy pasted your query on google :mg:)

ThePrincetonReview
Manya Abroad @ThePrincetonReview 534

Hi Manila, You can still apply for 15th Dec deadlines provided you put in a date for TOEFL in the application and the date is not too far away from the deadline. Schools can wait for 2-3 weeks but not beyond that. Hope the above information helps. Wish you the best. 

Hi All,

I have 4.5 years of experience in the Semiconductor industry. I am working with the best company in the industry. 

My academics are:

X - 93%, XII - 90%, Grad - 75% (BE - Electronics and communication). I am working with NGO in the weekend and I a mainly looking for the top 5 Indian Business Schools for 1 year MBA. To name a few - ISB, IIM-ABC etc. I am yet to start my GMAT preparations and I have given CAT couple of times with decent scores.

Please provide me the insight on 1. Is it worth leaving job for an year and pursuing MBA? ( i have pretty decent pay now)

2. How do I go about  and which are the other schools suitable for my profile. 

• 5 Comments
  • Thanks alot @Psychodementia .. As you suggested, i will r.... 15 Nov '14.
  • Hi Khushi, IIM'S might not be so great an option right no.... 24 Nov '14.
khushihegdeh
Khushi Hegde @khushihegdeh

Thanks alot @Psychodementia .. As you suggested, i will research a bit. I wil post my queries, if any, here. Please guide me through. Thanks

ThePrincetonReview

Hi Khushi, IIM'S might not be so great an option right now as you only have 4.5 years of work experience. Some of the schools reuire 7 years while others require 5 years in which case you would just be meeting the bare minimum. You can look at XLRI-GMP, SP Jain GMBA, Great Lakes, IMT Ghaziabad etc. 

Hi guys,

I have cleared GRE in july 2014 with 326/340 quants 170 and eng 156. I am a student of mtech/btech dual biotech student of IIT will be passing out in 2015. my profile is as follow

10th 91%

12th 89%

CGP 8

worked in an NGO for one year as coordinator in vector control programme, as a research astt in finland for 3 months.

I want to pursue MS in US , can you guide me how to go ahead.

thanx

• Hi, As per the given credentials your profile seems to be.... 14 Nov '14.
ThePrincetonReview

Hi, As per the given credentials your profile seems to be pretty good. You can very well apply to the higher ranked universities as well. Would recommend you to start applying as early as possible for Fall 2015 intake as with your profile you might have good chances of getting merit based scholarships as well. Start finalising universities and then you can proceed to filling in the online applications. If you would need any further inputs, please do let us know and we would be happy to help (www.manyagroup.com)

Hi,

I am having 9 years of IT work experience as software programmer. Currently working in a multinational IT service based company. I would like to do MBA at US/UK by June 2015. I am interested in business analysis and finance. Please recommend good bschools offering one year  MBA that fit my profile.

Thanks

Subin

• 10 Comments
  • @nodwin thank you!. 17 Nov '14.
  • @ThePrincetonReview thank you. 17 Nov '14.

Hi, i am working as a consultant (civil design/tender and claim / project finance / project management) in one of the prestigious public sector organization ( government of india ) 

1) rendered consultancy services to all major steel plant of the country ,power plants from concept to commissioning activities of project value exceeding inr 1000 crore.( $ 2 Billion ) - as team member mainly as structural consultant , extra claim settlement expert , contract price negotiation etc. 

2) worked as asst team leader on project of national importance ,defence projects etc. ( project value 200 million )
3) 6.5 years of work exp in india ( no out of the country assignment). continuing with the same organization , and got one accelerated promotion which is a rare phenomenon in public sector of india.

4) working as member of various committees directly reporting to steel ministry for policy decision from past 3 years.

5) CSR ( Company social responsibility) activities for the organization in rural india .

6) Gmat score 660 ( q 49 v 32).

7) Gpa : 6.71 - civil engineer from one of the most prestigious engg collage of india.( among 50 % of class) 

kindly evaluate my profile for :

1) NUS , nanyang

2) Insead, lbs,imd

3) american b schools .

• 4 Comments
  • and what all us b schools in specific.... 14 Nov '14.
  • Hi Teja, Your profile is pretty good. As far as INSEAD an.... 24 Nov '14.
teja22
@teja22 1

and what all us b schools in specific...

ThePrincetonReview

Hi Teja, Your profile is pretty good. As far as INSEAD and IMD are concerned they generally look for international exposure and if you go through the class profile of these two schools you will find 90% of their class as some kind of international exposure and is proficient in a foreign language. For LBS again international exposure is a section in the application and your GMAT would a bit on the lower side for LBS. NUS and Nanyang you can givce a shot. Your career goals need to be very concrete which you havent really mentioned here. American B Schools again will also depend to a certain extent on your goals. You can look at schools like Georgetown, Washington University etc. Let us know if you would have any further queries and we would be happy to help. Wish you the best. 

Hi, 

To brief my profile :

Acads : Hovers around 70s

work ex : 40 months till now in TCS. will be switching 

Worked in an NGO for a year.

Working as a theater actor\director from past 8 months (performed on stage 8 times till now). I work as a theater actor\director in the evening after office hours. I don't have a certificate indicating the same but only photos,newspaper articles and performance videos.

Conducted 2 technical competitions at my college (JEC jabalpur) , won a competitions at IIT Bombay and IIT kanpur each.

Conducted 2 day technical workshop in college for embedded systems. 

I am aiming for ISB 2017 admit. will be giving GMAT by April or May next year and will hopefully apply in R1.

1. What skills I should hone at this point to make my profile look strong enough for consideration.

2. How much weight theater carry during my profile evaluation.

3. To compensate for my acads, will a GMAT score of 700-720 suffice??

Any more suggestions to make my profile stronger will be appreciated

Thanks

• 5 Comments
  • being a theater artist will definitely invite curiosity, .... 13 Nov '14.
  • Hi Rahul, 1\. Leadership potential is a major skill tha.... 24 Nov '14.
Sab MOH-maya hai
ivyctor2010
ivyctor 2010 @ivyctor2010 920

being a theater artist will definitely invite curiosity, but allow readers to go past your academic qualifications, GMAT score and work experience before they are charmed by your ECs. For now focus on a decent GMAT score.

ThePrincetonReview

Hi Rahul, 

1. Leadership potential is a major skill that the B Schools look for. Also, there are no set rules for profilie building, and the key is to play your strength. Make your profile well rounded so that you stand out among other applicants. Since you have made the desicion well in time, utilise it to indulge in areas you are really passionnate about.

2. If you are passionate about it then it would certainly add value. But do not start doing it just for the sake of application

3. a 70 % acads is pretty decent, and after 3-4 years of work exp, focus shifts more on the job role and responsibilities, so 70% acads in nothing to worry about. And yes, a GMAT above 700 will balance it out. Hope this helps. If you would have any further queries, please do let us know. Wish you the best. 

Hello everyone, I have 4 years of experiance working in a IT company, i want to take gmat in 2015, want to get admission in ISB, My profile is as follows

X - 49

Xii - 56

UG - 59

PG - 75 Please suggest

• You really need a great GMAT score and I hope you have st.... 15 Nov '14.
  • Hi Hema, Your profile seems good, however in MBA admissio.... 24 Nov '14.
nodwin
Nodnat @nodwin 32

You really need a great GMAT score and I hope you have strong professional experience

ThePrincetonReview

Hi Hema, Your profile seems good, however in MBA admission, your work profile and job responsibilities are more critical parameters than the academic score. You still have time till next year, so you can utilise this time to make your profile even stronger. Let us know if you would have any further queries and we would be happy to help. Wish you the best. 

Hi everyone! I'm new here. Presently, I am in my pre-final year at NIT Allahabad. I want to know what are my chances of getting into one of the finest business schools(top 50) abroad - preferably U.K or U.S. and which MBA college do you suggest for me?

Aim from MBA : Networking, Business knowledge/know-how

Profile :

10th - 94%

12th - 88%

Btech - 66-70% (expected)

Due to my fathers transferable job, I have studied from many different educational boards from places such as - Dhaka, Birmingham, Abu dhabi, Delhi.

I have worked with an NGO in my first year of college.

I also worked with a budding startup within my college which is now an established company.

Started my own brand(educational startup) in my sophomore year of college. The community has over 14k users and my team consists of over 20 individuals across the globe. 

I would also like to know how many years experience I should have after college to be considered by the MBA colleges abroad?

I would also like to know the required GMAT score for a good MBA college abroad.

Thanking you,

Rajat.

• 7 Comments
  • @ThePrincetonReview I will keep in mind! Thank you soo mu.... 14 Nov '14.
  • Glad, we could be of help. Do keep up updated on the prog.... 17 Nov '14.
codebreaker2009
@codebreaker2009 5

@ThePrincetonReview I will keep in mind! Thank you soo much

ThePrincetonReview

Glad, we could be of help. Do keep up updated on the progress you make. Wish you the best. 

Hi All. I am currently working for a start-up based in Bangalore since past 2 years handling their IT and product development. 

X - 91.7%

XII - 89%

Engineering - 71%

I also volunteer with an NGO working in the field of child education. Please evaluate my profile. I am interested to do MBA in US and planning to give GMAT next year

• 3 Comments
  • 2 years is relatively low in experience, but I am sure th.... 12 Nov '14.
  • Hi Pooja. Your academic profile looks nice and you also s.... 13 Nov '14.
Always keep playing the game 
ivyctor2010

2 years is relatively low in experience, but I am sure that if you can add another year or two, you can have a solid profile. Your academic scores are decent. Suggest you look at a score of 680+  in GMAT, so that you can target decent Schools in the US. Without a GMAT score, a profile evaluation is quite incomplete.

ThePrincetonReview

Hi Pooja. Your academic profile looks nice and you also seem to have a varied work experience which will hold you good. 2 years may be a little less work experience but it also depends on what have you managed to accomplish in these two years. The fact that you are working with a start-up and may have helped them to grow is a solid point on your CV. Also, as you have mentioned that you plan to give GMAT next year, you would have added another year to your work experience. We would suggest you to start your preparation for GMAT and consult an expert to simultaneously work on your profile and fill up the gaps, if there are any. If you would have any specific queries about GMAT coaching or GMAT preparation at Manya Abroad, please do let us know and we would be happy to help. (www.manyagroup.com)

Hi all,

I am an engineer and want to persue PGPX in Operations and Marketing field from IIMA.

Kindly Evaluate my below mentioned profile:

X: 77.7% CBSE

XII:68.9% CBSE

Graduation:(53.6%)B.E. (Electronics) University of Pune

Total Experience: 3 years and 5 Months as an Embedded software Engineer in Automotive field.

Warm Regards,

Utkarsh Gupta

• 7 Comments
  • @utkarsh12888 You should refer to the PGPX, PGPEX, and EP.... 13 Nov '14.
  • Hi Utkarsh, the IIM PGPX program is meant for mid level m.... 24 Nov '14.
ivyctor2010

@utkarsh12888 You should refer to the PGPX, PGPEX, and EPGP programs listed in the websites of IIMs.

ThePrincetonReview

Hi Utkarsh, the IIM PGPX program is meant for mid level management professionals, the minimum experience required is 5 years and the class average is 8-9 years. Also, most of the accepted application have managerial experience and international exposure as well. Based on these parameters, it would be early for you to plan for the PGPX progrm, you need to gain more years of experience and then plan accordingly. Let us know if you have any further queries and we would be happy to help. 

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

8178 people follow this discussion.