SHOW

Ask a Consultant! - GMAT/GRE Only

• Created by @Neo2000
The GMAT section's been growing rapidly over the past few years but I'm sure you already know that. Unfortunately, it's becoming tougher for individual contributors to keep pace. Fortunately, a lot of consultants have been coming up to help! So as... Read More »

How is BITS Pilani for a MS?

Hi All,

I have 4.8 years of Experience in a Consulting Firm.I am Computer science grad with 70% in Engg and 75% in XII th and 78% in Xth. Well I have a Gap of 3 years in my career, after XIIth . Now I want to do an MBA , so Just wanted to know about how to go with GMAT and what is the ideal month to give the exam, some information about the colleges , when do they take admissions or else when can I apply to the colleges. I am eyeing all the top colleges in India. 

School of Inspired Leadership - Admissions Open!

SOIL has been co-created by a consortium of 32 leading companies. Admissions Open for the 7th Batch!

500 + Alumni working in top positions across industry.

Average Package : 9.0 Lacs, Highest Package : 18.0 Lacs

Apply Now!

Know more about 1 year leadership program at SOIL.

Download Now

This App is extremely useful in learning relevant words while reading news/magazines. Cheers! 

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.yaki.wordsplash

Word Snitch - Android Apps on Google Play
Word Snitch - Android Apps on Google Play
NOW UNFAMILIAR WORDS CAN'T ESCAPE YOU. Just copy a word while reading (from any app*) and find its meaning THERE ITSELF. * which allows text selection REFER A...

Google

XLRI || Business Management | 2013 - 2015 || Senior Executive Member - External Linkages (ExLink) || Senior Executive Member - E-Cell || Setting goals is easy. What counts is the ability to follow the dreams till they become your reality

Hi I am planning to take GMAT in March 2015, please advise good books for depth study in Maths..

• 3Comments
  • Will that help to set the basics right? Unfortunately I .... 4d.
  • I think MGMT book should be good. You can complete that f.... 4d.
kinji.at.pg1
Kinjal Das @kinji.at.pg1 26.9 k

Start with official guide. The questions are not that tough so it will help you to get into the groove. Later, take the mocks as the basis and try from them. Any specific questions, you can tag me and ask me.

rohitmahajan29
Rohit Mahajan @rohitmahajan29

Will that help to set the basics right?  Unfortunately I have started with Manhattan foundation Maths, I have lot of unanswered questions regarding concepts. I need to brush up things in more details as I have done Maths 14 years back. So any book for math where concepts are explained in detail recommended for GMAT?

kinji.at.pg1

I think MGMT book should be good. You can complete that fast and solve the questions parallelly from OG. You can get an idea what is getting tested. Also take a mock and baseline your level.

Hi 

I am planning to apply for NANYANG, SMU, NUS MBA 2015 intake. Could you please evaluate my profile ASAP and guide me whether I' ll be a good fit for either of the MBA schools.

My Profile is as follows:-

GMAT Oct 2014 - 690 (Quant-50, Verbal -34, AWA-4.5)

10th standard - 90.8%

12th Standard - 95% (Scholarship Holder)

B.com Honors from SRCC, Delhi University - 72.64

Strong Extra curricular at College

Diploma in Chartered Institute of Management Accountant (Level 2)

Work Experience - I have a diverse work experience (Total 21 months)

13 months in Risk Consulting

5 months in Start up

3 months in NGO 

Hi, I had a really bad GMAT experience. Got a score of 480 Q 44 V 15. I had scored well above 590 in my preps. I'm little demotivated by this score. Can you suggest what are my possible options with this score. I'm looking for MIS course of US state universities. I have a good academic record and a work experience of 3.7 years. Seeking suggestions for my next step!

• Mohith, sorry to hear about this. Suggest you retake the .... 7d.
  • Any pointers to help me with Verbal section?. 7d.
mba-help
MBA Decoder @mba-help 1.3 k

Mohith, sorry to hear about this. Suggest you retake the GMAT 

Hi! I gave GMAT yesterday and scored 680. My profile is:

B.Tech - Civil Engineering - IIT Roorkee - 6.855/10 (CGPA)

12th - CBSE - 80.20%

10th - CBSE- 81.00%

Active participant in co-curricular and community service activities during college days.

4+ years of experience in construction industry and worked with 2 organizations. Recently resigned from the post of Project Manager in a Delhi-based real estate group to prepare for b-school admissions. Even with the employer prior to this, I worked as a Project Manager and handled multiple projects, each to the tune of 500 crores. 

What are my chances at cracking ISB? What are other good colleges I should apply to? 

• 1 Like   7Comments
  • Hi @rishabh2198! Though your profile is not very strong, .... 7d.
  • @ISBeacon : It's good to hear from an alumnus Sir ! yes, .... 7d.
  7 Comments
ISBmantra.com
ISB mantra @ISBmantra.com 1.3 k

Hi @rishabh2198! Though your profile is not very strong, it's not bad either (given your IIT background). A good set of essays can help you improve your chances. What made you choose Nottingham? If there is no specific reason as such, you may target much better schools like Manchester if you are keen on UK. Several good options will be open for you in the US as well. In UK you may not get a job, in US, you are very likely to. 

All the Best!

'ISBmantra / EssaySunday Consulting'

rishabh2198
@rishabh2198 3

@ISBeacon : It's good to hear from an alumnus Sir ! yes, it is still called 'Thomso' and I was in the central organizing team for the year 2008. Indeed Sir, as you have mentioned, we civil engineers do not have the privilege of a 'weekend', as our project sites remain open for 24x7. As I had made up my mind to do MBA (reason explained below), it was getting difficult for me to prepare for the exam and I was left with no other option. 

To all the experts @mba-help, @kinji.at.pg1, @ISBmantra.com @ISBeacon : My friend started his own business in 2010 and I have been giving his organization (I don't wish to mention the name here) consultancy regarding the civil engineering aspects in his projects, all in good faith as a friend. Now his firm is a key player in the market. We both have now planned to venture together in a new business. That is, in fact, my main reason for pursuing MBA. For the time being, I am still giving his firm consultancy. Although I have not been charging his firm till date, I am very much eligible to draw and show consultancy fee now as I have resigned. I believe that should suffice as far as the reasons cited by you all are concerned. 

Also, it might strike you a contradiction that since I have business plans and am already selected in Nottingham, why not just join it then? My answer to that would be since 1 year is big duration and nobody knows the market trend or the attitude of business man (here, my friend), I wish to secure a place in an institute that can ensure a better return for my investments even if my business plan goes downhill.  

I gave GMAT this weekend and got 700.

Can you please advice me regarding application procedures for ISB.

I have 4 years of Experience.

Also would appreciate if you can tell me which good colleges i can apply to with this score.

• 1 Like   22Comments
  • @kinjal das : both, first preference to indian and asian .... 2d.
  • For Indian schools -> None of top IIMs will entertain you.... 2d.
http://top2012moviezz.blogspot.in/
  22 Comments
ISBeacon
ISB Beacon @ISBeacon 2

@kinji.at.pg1 Frankly I definitely don't think that it's been just 3-4 months; or may be we are talking about many UIs here: current, old, older and oldest:).

Anyway..so perhaps the idea of a feedback survey is something that you might want to suggest to the founder/owner of PG, though I really doubt that he/she will approve of a rollback.

kinji.at.pg1

Again as i said there are changes on the way. Once all those changes are published and users started using the forum with the new chages, we can go in for a survey. Give it time, exciting new changes are on the way.

viveknitw
vivek singh @viveknitw 2.4 k

looking forward to these changes.............i wud really appreciate if you can give me links where i can find about the different colleges i can apply to with this score.............been trying for last few days!

viveknitw
vivek singh @viveknitw 2.4 k

@kinjal das : both, first preference to indian and asian schools!

kinji.at.pg1

For Indian schools -> None of top IIMs will entertain you because of less work ex. IIMA/B/C requires 5+. You are left with ISB and SPJain. Even XL requires 5+ for GMP program. For asian schools, you can try for NUS/HKUST.

I am tagging experts who can add more in puts : 

@Llewellyn75 , @MansieDewanConsulting , @mba-help , @ISBmantra.com 

guys which colleges can i apply with my profile in cs stream

gre score 320

toefl 100

4 yrs wrk experience in it field 

b tech 71% 

10+2 95%

10 90%

Do let us know how it is once you speak to them

This is a deleted post.

Can someone please give me their phone numbers and addresses. The website is not opening for me. I would like to speak to them. I checked their Facebook page too and their techniques look great.

FB Page link: https://www.facebook.com/topgmat

• Are they good? surprised that no one has mentioned them b.... 15 Oct.
  • @arabelleber@phyllyssko@frannilucyktn You guys should hav.... 15 Oct.
rage_666
GS @rage_666 6

Are they good? surprised that no one has mentioned them before despite being in Delhi

rage_666
GS @rage_666 6

@arabelleber@phyllyssko@frannilucyktn You guys should have replied to the original post instead of the creating new posts of your own

Yes I have. It is a coaching institute based in Delhi and Bangalore.It was founded by Sandeep Gupta. He has been teaching GMAT for the last 2 decades. Check him out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNC_IOyBz1k

Hi Guys,

I am planning to start my preparation for GMAT. I need your help and guidance to go forward with it. 

I am a civil servant with 3+ years of experience in government, mostly in International Trade/ Imports-Exports. Prior to civil service, I was working with an IT Consulting firm for 4 years. I have 7+ years of work ex. in all. 

Since I am new to this, I need assistance in planning my GMAT and the prospects thereafter. Any personal assistance would be much appreciated. 

• HI Barney! Two things need to happen before you make any.... 14 Oct.
Eli_at_LTG
Eli Meyer @Eli_at_LTG

HI Barney!

Two things need to happen before you make any kind of GMAT plan.

1)  think about target schools. For many people, this means top 25 schools, but this isn't always the case. Many programs are specialized in a given field of business--finance, start-ups, entrepreneurship, supply chain--and a top tier program in your specialization may be lower ranked because its other programs are less distinguished.

2) Take a practice test. Sit down with one of the official tests from www.mba.com. Make your practice test-like: rested, uninterrupted, and quiet. See how you do.

Once you have a baseline score, and a target score, then you can start prepping fully informed about what you need to accomplish.

Hope this helps!

Eli

Director of Content, LTG exam prep platform

Hi, I am into my family business which is based out of Rajasthan. I have done my graduation from St. Xavier`s College, Mumbai and MBA from SCMHRD ,Pune. Before joining my business I was working with First Source Solutions Ltd. as business analyst for 8 months. Having an experience of 4 years in my business I feel I should have done my MBA after some work experience.Also I feel I lack the global exposure which is necessary to expand or diversify my existing business. I am confused that whether should I do double masters degree or not? If yes how should I go about it? and which countries should I focus? Will it really help??

• Hi @shaleenag! It is certainly worth gaining some global .... 14 Oct.
ISBmantra.com
ISB mantra @ISBmantra.com 1.3 k

Hi @shaleenag! It is certainly worth gaining some global exposure and a formal training in business. Which options you select will be important. There are several full time and part time options with some of the top global schools that may be interesting to you. Feel free to email us your detailed profile so we can make some suggestions. 

All the Best!

'ISBmantra / EssaySunday Consulting'

Hi,

I am planning to apply for MIS/BA courses for Fall 2015. By that time i will have around 5 years of experience into IT.
Initially i made up my mind for pursuing masters for Fall 2015. But one of my friends did raise a question which i too think is valid. Hence i am posting my query here and looking to get some help from anyone who has knowledge for the same.

Looking at the class profile for MS, on an average candidates fall under the category of 2-3 yrs of work exp sometimes even less. I dont know how many fall under my category i.e around 5 yrs of work exp. My query is that for internships/jobs, do most companies have a criteria that they are looking only for freshers or candidates with < 3 yrs of experience?

Will my work exp create an issue for searching internships and jobs after masters.

I don't know whether my concerns are valid but this thing is stuck in my mind and i would really want some clarification to keep concerns at bay.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Shikhar

• hello,i don't think your job experience will do any matter... 6d.
aryanpawar
aryan pawar @aryanpawar

hello,i don't think your job experience will do any matter..

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

7635 people follow this discussion.