About this discussion

Last updated

Author
Ryan P @Neo2000

Tags

Ask a Consultant! - GMAT/GRE Only

The GMAT section's been growing rapidly over the past few years but I'm sure you already know that. Unfortunately, it's becoming tougher for individual contributors to keep pace. Fortunately, a lot of consultants have been coming up to help! So as...
Follow this discussion to get notified of latest updates.
Page 1 of 213   

Can any one please shed some light about  exams for management:

I am having total experience of 3.5 years in a  Leading IT and a Metering company.

By the time next CAT 2015 comes i will  complete 4 years of experience.

Please suggest which course should i go for- executive through GMAT or 2 year program through CAT 2015?

How many days prior should one register for the GMAT exam?? 

IFMR Admission Open for 2015

2 new specializations BFSI & Business Analytics

100% Placement since inception in 2000

World – class infrastructure

Faculty with international experience

IFMR PGDM 2015-17 (AICTE approved)

Last date - January 31st, 2015

Know More

Chase your dream with a management course that is right for you.

“Among the top 20 B-schools “- CNBC TV 18

“Among the top 10 in finance” – Star News

Download

Hi Guys, I am new here. But here goes.

My Academic scores are as follows : Xth : 91.4%, XIIth : 84.4%, B.E - 74.4%. I have not yet given GMAT.

I am a mechanical Engineer with 2 Years 5 Months experience in Automobile Industry. I work in a Global Product Development Team.

I am planning on doing mba.And as i mostly will not be studying any further, i want to pursue it from a good college. 

Few colleges that i am looking up are ISB - India, NUS and NTU - Singapore. I am not so keen in Europe because of its falling economy and US B Schools seems way too costly.

Please help me with the following queries:

1. Am i missing out on some good colleges? please mention them if i have missed it out.

2. Do the colleges i mentioned above have good placements?

3. Should i look into US B schools? I am worried about the budget as i have to completely rely on bank loans. How are the post mba job offers in US?

I will be able to look up more info from some help from you guys. thanks

• #. 12h.

Harvard 

Pros: The best academic brand in the world, people from East Timor will know where you went to school. Graduates are extremely polished and dynamic leaders. Its no coincidence that so many politicians these days are HBS grads.

Cons: Students are about as pompous and pretentious as possible. Polish is a fancy way of saying full of s**t. Its no coincidence that so many politicians these days are HBS grads.

Office Space Character: Lumbergh (Peter's hated boss). He's a quintessential Harvard grad; in charge and full of platitudes that sound great but on further inspection don't make any sense. He also drives a nice car and makes a lot of money while being universally loathed. 

Veritas Gurgaon - 9810801887 

Does anyone have any idea about non-profit organizations looking for volunteers. I am specifically looking to apply for a 6-8 month stint at a leading organization (Clinton Health Access Initiative, Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, WHO and the likes etc.) in a developing country (SE Asia/Africa). All views and inputs are appreciated

• 3 Likes   19 Comments
  • I also feel this is a good idea and in general, b-schools.... 2d.
  • One of my senior is involved in "Teach for India " in Pun.... 2d.
Mission Fontainebleau-ON! || About me - Strategy Consultant | The Doon School | IIT-Kanpur | LSE | ISB-YLP | GMAT'15-740 | XAT'15-99.92%ile 
eyece
Sam Matthew @eyece 1

I also feel this is a good idea and in general, b-schools do prefer candidates that exhibit sensitivity to society. So, while this will provide you personal satisfaction, it would also enhance your prospects. Also, there is one more thing. All this stuff about "excel modeling" is something that you can do for a NGO as well (in the areas of their indulgence). 

I mean NGO work does not have to necessarily be about taking care of senior citizens etc. Volunteering can come in many shapes and I am sure this activity would be quite satisfying to you as well.

I used to know a friend who was a CA and he used to keep accounts for a NGO, without charging the NGO. He seemed to be quite happy with this.

Prasanta4gmat
Prasanta Chakraborty @Prasanta4gmat 3

One of my senior is involved in "Teach for India " in Pune, I can refer your name if you wish to get further information.

is learning vocabulary important for gmat?

please post link of what type of RC comes in gmat so that i can prepare.....

• 3 Comments
  • @BGPC_Eliza thanks a lot. really helpful.. 2d.
  • Hi @jaskarn, Having a good vocabulary is a must to under.... 1d.
Yes , Preparing for an MBA and will apply after completing my president service. GOD BLESS AMERICA....... 
ThePrincetonReview
Manya Abroad @ThePrincetonReview 475

Hi @jaskarn,

Having a good vocabulary is a must to understand the GMAT CR and RC passages.These passages require that you are able to understand the words used in the context of the passage.Hence along with your preparations,it would be best if you also start reading articles, science journals , business tabloids and read them online and figure out for yourself if you can understand the language and the main idea present in the passage. This will help you a lot to improve your vocabulary on the GMAT. www.manyagroup.com

Hi,

My profile:

Gmat : 560 

Xth : 77

XIIth : 75

BE :74.9

Work Ex: 39 Months with CTS.

3 Months with TCS.

I want to opt for a 1 year MBA.Is it possible to get into  a decent college with this score?If not then can you shed some light on the deadline of various colleges so that I take gmat accordingly.

P.S :I want to get into a college this year.

• which country are you primarily targeting & what is your .... 5d.
  • Hi @tweety789, As suggested above please elaborate the co.... 1d.
nodwin
Nodnat @nodwin 23

which country are you primarily targeting & what is your budget?

ThePrincetonReview

Hi @tweety789, As suggested above please elaborate the countries you are looking forward to apply and your budget.There are other factors than your GMAT score which helps you to get admission in your dream college.You can access our blog from our experts team on how to improve your profile on the link below:

http://blog.manyagroup.com/detail.html?authorid=60

You can send us your queries further on the link below and our experts will get back to you soon.

http://blog.manyagroup.com/index.html?url=Q-A-Section Wish you the best. www.manyagroup.com

need help with business proposals...have googled n al can't find 1 type of format..any links books or nething that would help in learning business proposal writing presale?? plz guide...

how can i perform well in verbal section of GMAT?

please guide me....

• I wish I were able to answer this question through a post.... 6d.
  • As far as studying for the verbal section, you will need .... 2d.
Yes , Preparing for an MBA and will apply after completing my president service. GOD BLESS AMERICA....... 
Psychodementia
Arun Jagannathan @Psychodementia 5,513

I wish I were able to answer this question through a post. In short - take a GMATPrep test and see where you stand. Once done the analysis can be a lot easier :mg:

Arun

BGPC_Eliza
Eliza Chute @BGPC_Eliza 3

As far as studying for the verbal section, you will need to study differently for SC, vs RC and CR.  For RC and CR, you do not need to learn any rules, just how to take the test, so the best way to do this is to get a handle on the strategy through a course or a book, then practice, practice, practice.  For Sc, you WILL need to memorize rules, so start by getting a good grasp on the content (through a course or book) and make sure to take detailed notes.

Having BE degree in computer science and 2.5 years of IT experience (as a software developer ), what should my ideal answer to the below question ? :

"what is your motive behind entering a management career ?

PS : I prefer to do specialization on "Retail /FMCG/ Consumer" or "consulting" or "IT".

• 3 Comments
  • while answering the question analyse your present status .... 5d.
  • Hi Titli, For the purpose of the application it is best .... 14h.
nodwin
Nodnat @nodwin 23

while answering the question analyse your present status & the future status you aim for & then what is the link between the two? Is it the management program you are opting for? 

ThePrincetonReview

Hi Titli,

For the purpose of the application it is best that you mention that your short term goals is to get into IT consulting. This is something you will be able to justify in the application. Once you get into the business school you can pick up any other specialization in the second year.Hope this helps.Let us know if you have any further queries. www.manyagroup.com

Hi all, 

Please find the details of my profile below: 

X-82%, XII-65%

BTECH GPA-8.02

Work Exp: 5 years in IT with onsite experience with a Belgian client.

Lead a team to start new project and went to Belgium and successfully completed smooth transition of project. Conducted several team engagement activities. Received award at workplace for high performance.

Extra Curricular: Won prizes in college in Computer Gaming and Table Tennis tournaments. Took part in internal Badminton  and Table Tennis competitions in Office.

Volunteer Exp: Participated in an event organized in office to bring college students and deliver industry related sessions.

I am planning to take the exam after 4-5 months. I am looking to apply in Texas Mays and BYU Mariott. Can you please let me know what will be a good score to get an interview call from these colleges based on my profile shared above. I know that getting a call will not be decided solely on GMAT scores and profile that I have shared, but I want to have an idea on the range of scores for those colleges based on my profile. 

Thanks, 
Ambar

• 3 Comments
  • Thanks @nodwin. 4d.
  • Hi Ambar, With more than 5 years of experience you shoul.... 14h.
ThePrincetonReview

Hi Ambar,

With more than 5 years of experience you should target a score of at least 680.  The universities do not expect a 720 from someone who has more than 5 years of experience. Therefore you can target a range of 650-700.Let us know if you have any further queries. www.manyagroup.com

hi guys,

i am looking out for study material for preparing English verbal and non verbal .

anyone help me out with some ebook links or some other source....help will be highly appreciated ....

• 4 Comments
  • Sorry guys for the OFF topic can anyone tell me the cut o.... 1d.
  • @Grk9 For the 1 year MBA, there are no such cutoffs, howe.... 1d.
Grk9
kishore Goteti @Grk9 702

Sorry guys for the OFF topic can anyone tell me the cut off for IIM-A/B/C/L thru GMAT

mba9999
Saikat Lahiri @mba9999 349

@Grk9 For the 1 year MBA, there are no such cutoffs, however it is always good to score as close to the school's average as possible. School's GMAT average is available on their website.Mostly it hovers around 700.

guys, I see no thread for discussing application status, interview invites, questions, admits.

I have created this thread, please participate there in the discussions.

http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/fall-2015-mba-applications-usa-31421707

Fall 2015 MBA Applications (USA) - PaGaLGuY
Fall 2015 MBA Applications (USA) - PaGaLGuY
Let's discuss Applications for Fall 2015 you can discuss about any university you have applied to.

Pagalguy

Recommendation letters:

Letters of recommendation are an essential part of the admissions process-some top schools have said they are the most important part-so choose your recommenders carefully!

. DO use references from your current and most recent jobs. An academic reference won't be able to answer the most common recommendation questions. Insights from your supervisors help create a picture of you now. The admissions committee isn't as concerned with how you behaved eight years ago.

. DON'T be tempted to seek a letter of recommendation from the CEO of your company, or another high ranking person, if he or she hardly knows you. The admissions committee always prefers placement over prestige, so make sure your recommender knows you well enough to comment in a thoughtful way, with supportive examples that help flesh out the candidate they see on paper.

. DO prepare your recommenders and manage them closely. These references are a small but crucial test of your management abilities. If you can't ensure that your recommenders submit on time or follow other directions, what does this say about your skills as a manager?

DO's and DONT's:

Where should I apply? And to how many programmes?

DO apply to your dream school, even if it is a stretch. This is your only chance, don't leave yourself with any regrets.

DO apply to at least four schools of varying levels of competitiveness to maximize chances of success.

DON'T apply to more than six schools. This is an intensive and time-consuming process. Applying too many schools leads to burn-out and diminishing returns.

DON'T rely on rumor and others' opinions when deciding where to apply. Engage in first-hand research by visiting schools, and speaking with current students and alumni. Only you can decide which school is the right fit for your personality and goals.

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

8092 people follow this discussion.