SHOW

Ask a Consultant! - GMAT/GRE Only

• Created by @Neo2000
The GMAT section's been growing rapidly over the past few years but I'm sure you already know that. Unfortunately, it's becoming tougher for individual contributors to keep pace. Fortunately, a lot of consultants have been coming up to help! So as...

Hi Puys!

I'm in a very panicked situation as i'm writing this. I have my GMAT day after tomorrow, i.e., 31st October 2014 and i still don't have a prepared list of the 5 schools to which i'll be sending my scores.

In brief, I'm a female CA with almost 3.5 years of experience and a regular BCom (Hons) degree from DU. I currently work in MIS FP&A profile in HCL Technologies Ltd and prior to this, have worked with Kobe Steel Group (a Japanese steel giant) in Finance. Shortly, I'll be joining a different industry in MIS FP&A profile only. My goal from an MBA is to gain entrepreneurial and management skills that would help me move towards more of a general management role or maybe consider doing something of my own. In my practice GMATs so far i'm getting scores in the range of 660 to 700.

When i initially consulted a few people, i got the following names - ISB, IIM ABCL, XLRI and SPJIMR. ISB happens to be my preference. I am leaning more towards a one-year course but a good two-years course is also a feasible option. Also, I'm willing to consider an international MBA too. The names that have cropped up so far are NUS, Tuck,etc. 

As a confession, i'm from a purely technical finance background so my knowledge about admission procedures of any school except ISB is next to none. I'd like to start my MBA in 2015.

Please kindly guide me as to what schools I should choose on my test day. I will choose ISB but about the other four choices i'm confused. Request you to please help!

Thanks in advance!

• 4Comments
  • Hi Ankita. Firstly, wishing you the best for GMAT. The be.... 5h.
  • you can give B-school names later also after getting your.... 5h.
ISBmantra.com
ISB mantra @ISBmantra.com 1.3 k

Hi @caak! PMed you the list. All the Best for your GMAT! 

'ISBmantra / EssaySunday Consulting'

[100% of ISBmantra applicants in ISB R1 2014 get an interview call]

ivyctor2010
ivyctor 2010 @ivyctor2010 879

NUS and HKUST would be good options along with ISB. 

ThePrincetonReview
Manya Abroad @ThePrincetonReview 389

Hi Ankita. Firstly, wishing you the best for GMAT. The best universities would be NUS, ISB, IIM, XLRI. You can choose any between SPJAIN and ABCL. For any further guidance, we can get on a call with you and guide you accordingly

praneet.psm
@praneet.psm 1

you can give B-school names later also after getting your scores of GMAT most people don't know this , all the best and dont worry aabout the list of 5 b-schools

If I attempt for the exam in Feb/Mar 2015, and apply for the 5 colleges as per the standard GMAT exam practice, would the application apply for the 2016 fall admits or 2015 admit for which it'll be too late considering the deadlines? Would it be advisable to give it later or Feb/Mar 2015 would suffice for the 2016 fall admits?

• Hi @RickRoy! Feb-march will be late indeed for 2015 admit.... 2d.
  • In Addition, if you have your GMAT score in Feb/March, yo.... 2d.
We do what we were trained to do... ... what we were bred to do... ... what we were born to do.
ISBmantra.com

Hi @RickRoy! Feb-march will be late indeed for 2015 admits. Which means, you may comfortably take some more time for the GMAT and target the 2016 admits. The application process for most schools will start in August/September 2015, so plan your GMAT accordingly. 

All the Best!

ivyctor2010

In Addition, if you have your GMAT score in Feb/March, you can apply only for deadlines later than Round 2 in most Schools ( US/UK B Schools). As an international applicant, it is advisable to apply not later than Round 2. Round 1 is most preferred as it has advantages including Scholarship options

Lal Bahadur Shastri Institute of Management- Admissions Open!

Classes, Case-studies, Cafeteria, Conferences, Competitions, Clubs, Camaraderie! The 7 C's of LBSIM aptly summarize the ideal life of an MBA student, which, as our Director says, should be a blend of "70% learning outside the classroom and 30% learning inside the classroom"!

Learn More

Hi , I have a GMAT score of 670 and 4+ years of experience as a  consultant in one of the Big 4 companies. Can you please suggest which colleges can i target for next year ?

• 3Comments
  • Hi Kunal. You have a promising profile, though one may ne.... 5h.
  • A good university offers much better exposure than the on.... 5h.
Psychodementia
Arun Jagannathan @Psychodementia 5.4 k

There are a few things on which the answer depends:

1. What is it you want to do Post MBA?

2. Which geography do you want to work in?

3. What is your preferred domain?

4. What is your preference - 1year or 2years for an MBA program?

I would suggest you read up a bit on this. I am sure you will get the answer youself

Here is are some pdfs you can download to help answer the above questions:

http://gmat.crackverbal.com/free-resources/ebook-library/

ThePrincetonReview

Hi Kunal. You have a promising profile, though one may need more detailed information to have a complete idea. Your choice of college should depend upon what course you wish to take. With your experience, you may have some degree of idea about where do you wish to see your career grow. Once, you have the course in mind, you can make a list of 10 universities who offer it best and then target those only. 

ThePrincetonReview

A good university offers much better exposure than the one's ranked lower. For the overall personality and career development, you should definitely look out for universities in the order of how they are ranked

Hi,

I gave GRE in 2011 and scored 301/340 and in september end I also gave gmat but dint score well can I apply in some good colleges through GRE I have 41 months work ex at present 25 months as in marketing and remaining in my own business that I started last year.

My acads

10th -73.60%

12th-65.60%

BTECH (Computer Science)-65.78%

any good consultants who can offer their services and guidance please message me 

• Hi Bhavay. If you wish, we can arrange a call for you wit.... 5h.
ThePrincetonReview

Hi Bhavay. If you wish, we can arrange a call for you with one of our expert coaches who can guide you on best options available depending upon your profile and area of interest. You can let us know here or message us. Wish you the best

HI,

Just wanted to understand the process for applying to ISB school. THe last date to apply in cycle 2 is 30th November, so should we need to apply with the GMAT scores right away or can we give the exam sometime later during the year and then submit the scores for the application.

Thanks in advance.

• 7Comments
  • @isbmantra can you please elaborate a bit more on online .... 2d.
  • http://edtechreview.in/e-learning/1617-moocs-coming-up-in.... 2d.

Hi !

What all things are required on the exam day ?

Have bigger aims in Life !! IIT nahi hua toh kya hua, IIM nikalenge :D

Hi guys,

I'm new here and have been browsing GMAT threads for some time. From other posts what i have understood is leaving job and giving GMAT is a strict 'no' 'no' ! I had a decent profile but i guess out of job for past 2 years made my profile weak. Still i leave it to you - the experts, the aspirants who are in this GMAT business, to have the final say. Here's my profile. Please recommend if i should go ahead with GMAT test and try my luck at B-schools -

10th standard - 87%

12th standard - 80%

age - 30yr 

Qualification - BE in IT with 73% and MS from BITS Pilani with 75%

Experience - 6 yr in two reputed software companies as programmer. Left job in 2013 to prepare for civil service.

I have the doubts -

1. Considering the 'weakness' of my profile, would it be a wise idea to try my luck at ISB Hyderabad? What are the chances and how can i make it possible?

2. To apply in Indian universities, what is the best time to write GMAT ? I started preparing Manhattan books, will that suffice or should i follow some other material too ?

• 7Comments
  • Thanks for the inspiring words :smiley: ... sometime wi.... 3d.
  • @boolean All weaknesses can be converted into strengths. .... 5h.
  7 Comments
boolean
@boolean 1

Thanks for the inspiring words ... sometime with failure, scepticism creeps in and i guess, we forget the most imp lesson of our life ... face the challenges with a smile and say "bring it on"

ThePrincetonReview

@boolean All weaknesses can be converted into strengths. It is all a matter of how do you present yourself. We will concur with @ISBeacon when they talk about guts you had to take up an alternate career. What is important is that you are thinking forward. Prepare well for GMAT, get a good score and then showcase all your strengths. For preparing for GMAT, you can also consider The Princeton Review as we have had immense success with our students in this field. Wish you all the best. (PS: if you wish to know more, let us know)

Hi Guys;

I have given my Gnat in June 2014 and scored low 375 .My academics is 72 in 10th ;60 in 12th and 59% in B.E..Presenttly working in Hcl technology as QA analyst from past 5 years.Please help me so that i can apply to colleges based in USA and canada for 2015.

Your all valuble inputs will help me 2 climb success .

Thanks 

• 3Comments
  • Not sure what your intent is, because you can't score 375.... 6d.
  • Hi @Maky86 . We would advice you to prepare again, take t.... 5h.
ivyctor2010

375 is too low a score....For at least a decent MBA ( Full time ) in US or Canadian B Schools, you need to go past the 600 score mark. Hence, suggest you prepare well and retake GMAT.

EssaysForMBA
Anshu G @EssaysForMBA 132

Not sure what your intent is, because you can't score 375 on GMAT. The score on GMAT is always in multiple of 10. 

ThePrincetonReview

Hi @Maky86 . We would advice you to prepare again, take the right guidance and focus on how to derive maximum value from your preparation. Wish you the best

How is BITS Pilani for a MS?

Hi All,

I have 4.8 years of Experience in a Consulting Firm.I am Computer science grad with 70% in Engg and 75% in XII th and 78% in Xth. Well I have a Gap of 3 years in my career, after XIIth . Now I want to do an MBA , so Just wanted to know about how to go with GMAT and what is the ideal month to give the exam, some information about the colleges , when do they take admissions or else when can I apply to the colleges. I am eyeing all the top colleges in India. 

• Hi @ravs2050 If you would like, we can arrange a call for.... 5h.
ThePrincetonReview

Hi @ravs2050 If you would like, we can arrange a call for you with one of our expert coaches. You can ask all your questions and get your queries resolved. Let us know here or send us a message. Wish you the best

This App is extremely useful in learning relevant words while reading news/magazines. Cheers! 

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.yaki.wordsplash

Word Snitch - Android Apps on Google Play
Word Snitch - Android Apps on Google Play
NOW UNFAMILIAR WORDS CAN'T ESCAPE YOU. Just copy a word while reading (from any app*) and find its meaning THERE ITSELF. * which allows text selection REFER A...

Google

XLRI || Business Management | 2013 - 2015 || Senior Executive Member - External Linkages (ExLink) || Senior Executive Member - E-Cell || Setting goals is easy. What counts is the ability to follow the dreams till they become your reality

Hi I am planning to take GMAT in March 2015, please advise good books for depth study in Maths..

• 3Comments
  • Will that help to set the basics right? Unfortunately I .... 19 Oct.
  • I think MGMT book should be good. You can complete that f.... 19 Oct.
kinji.at.pg1
Kinjal Das @kinji.at.pg1 27.0 k

Start with official guide. The questions are not that tough so it will help you to get into the groove. Later, take the mocks as the basis and try from them. Any specific questions, you can tag me and ask me.

rohitmahajan29
Rohit Mahajan @rohitmahajan29

Will that help to set the basics right?  Unfortunately I have started with Manhattan foundation Maths, I have lot of unanswered questions regarding concepts. I need to brush up things in more details as I have done Maths 14 years back. So any book for math where concepts are explained in detail recommended for GMAT?

kinji.at.pg1
Kinjal Das @kinji.at.pg1 27.0 k

I think MGMT book should be good. You can complete that fast and solve the questions parallelly from OG. You can get an idea what is getting tested. Also take a mock and baseline your level.

Hi 

I am planning to apply for NANYANG, SMU, NUS MBA 2015 intake. Could you please evaluate my profile ASAP and guide me whether I' ll be a good fit for either of the MBA schools.

My Profile is as follows:-

GMAT Oct 2014 - 690 (Quant-50, Verbal -34, AWA-4.5)

10th standard - 90.8%

12th Standard - 95% (Scholarship Holder)

B.com Honors from SRCC, Delhi University - 72.64

Strong Extra curricular at College

Diploma in Chartered Institute of Management Accountant (Level 2)

Work Experience - I have a diverse work experience (Total 21 months)

13 months in Risk Consulting

5 months in Start up

3 months in NGO 

Hi, I had a really bad GMAT experience. Got a score of 480 Q 44 V 15. I had scored well above 590 in my preps. I'm little demotivated by this score. Can you suggest what are my possible options with this score. I'm looking for MIS course of US state universities. I have a good academic record and a work experience of 3.7 years. Seeking suggestions for my next step!

• 3Comments
  • Any pointers to help me with Verbal section?. 16 Oct.
  • well mohit I had a same experience and I would suggest u .... 2d.
mba-help
MBA Decoder @mba-help 1.3 k

Mohith, sorry to hear about this. Suggest you retake the GMAT 

bhavay007
Bhavay Sood @bhavay007 4

well mohit I had a same experience and I would suggest u to join egmat for verbal 

Hi! I gave GMAT yesterday and scored 680. My profile is:

B.Tech - Civil Engineering - IIT Roorkee - 6.855/10 (CGPA)

12th - CBSE - 80.20%

10th - CBSE- 81.00%

Active participant in co-curricular and community service activities during college days.

4+ years of experience in construction industry and worked with 2 organizations. Recently resigned from the post of Project Manager in a Delhi-based real estate group to prepare for b-school admissions. Even with the employer prior to this, I worked as a Project Manager and handled multiple projects, each to the tune of 500 crores. 

What are my chances at cracking ISB? What are other good colleges I should apply to? 

• 1 Like   7Comments
  • Hi @rishabh2198! Though your profile is not very strong, .... 16 Oct.
  • @ISBeacon : It's good to hear from an alumnus Sir ! yes, .... 16 Oct.
  7 Comments
ISBmantra.com

Hi @rishabh2198! Though your profile is not very strong, it's not bad either (given your IIT background). A good set of essays can help you improve your chances. What made you choose Nottingham? If there is no specific reason as such, you may target much better schools like Manchester if you are keen on UK. Several good options will be open for you in the US as well. In UK you may not get a job, in US, you are very likely to. 

All the Best!

rishabh2198
@rishabh2198 3

@ISBeacon : It's good to hear from an alumnus Sir ! yes, it is still called 'Thomso' and I was in the central organizing team for the year 2008. Indeed Sir, as you have mentioned, we civil engineers do not have the privilege of a 'weekend', as our project sites remain open for 24x7. As I had made up my mind to do MBA (reason explained below), it was getting difficult for me to prepare for the exam and I was left with no other option. 

To all the experts @mba-help, @kinji.at.pg1, @ISBmantra.com @ISBeacon : My friend started his own business in 2010 and I have been giving his organization (I don't wish to mention the name here) consultancy regarding the civil engineering aspects in his projects, all in good faith as a friend. Now his firm is a key player in the market. We both have now planned to venture together in a new business. That is, in fact, my main reason for pursuing MBA. For the time being, I am still giving his firm consultancy. Although I have not been charging his firm till date, I am very much eligible to draw and show consultancy fee now as I have resigned. I believe that should suffice as far as the reasons cited by you all are concerned. 

Also, it might strike you a contradiction that since I have business plans and am already selected in Nottingham, why not just join it then? My answer to that would be since 1 year is big duration and nobody knows the market trend or the attitude of business man (here, my friend), I wish to secure a place in an institute that can ensure a better return for my investments even if my business plan goes downhill.  

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

7676 people follow this discussion.