About this discussion

Last updated

Author
@vamsi0077

Tags

Analyze "The Hindu" Editorial

Hi frens... *"The Hindu" editorial *is a part and parcel of CAT preperation. but to my surprise i didnt find any thread which discusses the difficult words in the editorial and discuss abt their contextual meanings.. So as a starting ef...
Follow this discussion to get notified of latest updates.
Page 51 of 101   
Fine-tuning loan waiver

The author talks about the recent move by union finance minister to persuade the psu banks to take over the loans farmers owe to money lenders. This comes in the wake of Loan Waiver Scheme announced in this years budget. The author lauds this move as an effort to free small and marginal farmers from the clutches of money landers.

The author points out the reasons why moneylenders are preffered source of credit in rural India, the major reasons are the ease of access and their informal procedures.

The author also talks about the problems in the implementation of Loan Weaver Scheme, which are:-
  1. Confusion over the source of funds
  2. Inadequacy of the Rs.60,000 crore earmarked for the waiver
  3. the modalities of Loan waiver scheme are not yet clear to bank executives posted at rural branch
The author says that all these factors will contribute to delay of new scheme which will cover loans taken by farmers from moneylenders and other non-institutional sources. Finally the author provides some ideas to free small farmers from the cob web of moneylenders, like extending the reach of formal banking system to every nook and corner of india, simplifying and making the procedures less rigid.

Being a voracious readerright from my college days, The TOI newspapers is for children's who want shahrukh, amitabh and dhoni but The Hindu is for intellectuals citizens for this country who want to do something for their country and life.
Even i do newspapers cutting daily (its a part of my daily schedule and it has now become my hobby also) All the very best to all

LIVE CHAT with ex- Convenor and Dean MISB Bocconi

Ask all about Post-CAT results in a LIVE CHAT on 

26th December 2014 at 8.30pm with  Dr. Himanshu Rai, CAT 2010 Convenor and Dean MISB Bocconi.‚Äč

Participate Now

-Full time post graduate program in business

-Faculty from SDA Bocconi, Italy 

-Dual Campus Mumbai and Milan

-2014 Avg. CTC 10 Lakh p.a

- Merit Based Tuition Fee Waiver 

Download Placement Stats

Jaipur has never been perceived to be a city high on terrorist radar and perhaps this is the reason why it has been targeted this time around owing to the lack of vigilance and sense of complacency which is bound to creep in after a long history of peace and harmony...What is worth commendable is the spirit and resilience of Jaipurites to be able to come to terms with their loss and move on...Given the terrorist attack was designed to bring about communal disharmony(one of the bombs going off in the vicinity of Hanuman temple on a tuesday evening when a large number of devotees are expected to offer prayers),there's no doubt about the perpetrators of this heinous crime...Attacks of such nature whenever and wherever they take place are culmination of months of planning and movement of resources(explosive material like RDX or TNT in this case) and the fact that intelligence agencies could not even get a sniff of it doesn't bode well for the country at large...Various parties across the political spectrum would do well to stand up and take notice of this rising menace instead of indulging in blame game.

The Hindu : Opinion / News Analysis : Health, development and human rights
Health, development and human rights

The editorial speaks about the incredible improvements in the health and development indices of India which masks the inequity in the society and human costs of initial stages of economic growth. Amongst all the news of economic development, improvement of poverty and health of people, we tend to forget the millions of people who r hungry in this country and their livelihoods

It's true that medical services have significant impact on the longevity of an individual but there are socio economic factors like education, occupation,etc, which play equally important roles. Education determines a person's job and thus the his salary and occupational hazards which in turn have socio economic outcomes.These outcomes act as sequence like a cycle where the socio economic privelege and deprivation of inequalites r transferred to the next generation.

Developing and low income countries bear a burden of the diseases in the world, which causes conditions for poor health(lack of clean water, food scarcity and hygiene) and it breeds poverty since the society isn't able to contribute and lack of basic tools like medicines , fertilizer, credit,etc,.

We have been marketing to the world the concept of "India Shining" showcasing our success.But this success is a reflection of India's upper and middle classes. Poverty might have reduced but the gap between rich and poor has widened, that is , the rich are richer and poor are more poorer. Simon Kuznets hypothesized the relationship between economic development and income inequality taking the form of a U-shaped curve.Income inequality is increases during early phase of development but reduces on later stage when capital gets diverted towards mass education, rural to urban and agriculture to industry migration and also by socio economic policies of the government. But this rise in inequality in early stages can put the government on pressure and later split the society.This is the situation now the state of Chhattisgarh is facing
Due to the government policies of Chhattisgargh, which is rich in mineral,forest and power resources had to evacuate people especially from the mineral rich lands to setup industries.But it did not adequately resettle these people which caused them to be a part of the naxalite movement.This was matched by the government run militia, Salwa Judum, which made matters worse.Human and health rights became violated and Dr.Binayak Sen who worked for the poor and voiced against the atrocities of the government got jailed. Anyone who fought for the human rights are seen against all forms of development and by the government. Dr.Binayak Sen is still in prison for over a year is a perfect example of being a victim of this conflict relate to economic development.
  • 1 Like  

Hi Pavan,
This is simple and effective way to learn the RC.I'm waiting for the next set of Qs.We can continue this trend.I'm new to RCs.Practising now.So it will take sometime for me to come with the Qs for RCs but surely I will post my RC qs taken frm some newspapers in the near future.Till then plz pardon me.

-Deepak.

• 1 Like  

The Hindu : Opinion / Editorials : Behind the oil price spike

1) The passage does all of the following except
a. downplays the significance of speculation in oil price rise.
b. downplays the significance of Indian and Chinese oil imports in global oil price rise .
c. emphasizes the importance of the declining value of the dollar in oil price rise.
d. emphasizes the short term causes of increase in oil prices.
Obviously the passage downplays the long term factors like Indian and Chinese oil imports and supply demand bottenecks while emphasizing the short term factors responsible for rise in prices of oil such as declining value of the dollar and the role of speculators. Hence the passage doesn't downplay the significance of speculation.

2) The term 'secular growth in oil consumption' can be understood to mean
a. the long term increase in consumption of oil.
b. the increase in demand for oil in certain economies.
c. the increase in demand for oil uniformly throughout.
d. none of the above.
Now the term "secular growth" is used by economists to indicate a long term trend.Even I initially would have thought the meaning of secular growth was uniform growth in demand of oil throughout the developing countries but a google search for 'secular growth' lead to different results.
Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

3) In the passage, the author is primarily interested in
a. suggesting measures to the Manmohan Singh government to contain the price rise in oil.
b. pointing out the role of the US in the price rise in oil.
c. showing the significance of consumption of oil in India and China.
d. explaining the reasons behind the price rise in oil.
Obvious.The title of the passage itself says "Behind the oil price spike"

4) The term 'the greenback' can be understood to mean
a. a reference to 'speculation'.
b. a reference to the value of oil barrels.
c. a reference to the US dollar.
d. a reference to the value of all dollar-denominated commodities
As suppliers seek to maintain their purchasing power they need to hike prices i.e.,oil which is a dollar denominated commodity will see a hike in price to allow the suppliers to maintain their purchasing power despite the drop in value of 'the dollar'

The answers I thought of while framing the questions are in bold They are open to discussion.My reasons are in red.
This was a simple passage with relatively moderate questions.
If it was beneficial we can make it a daily affair.What say?
Just trying my hand at setting RC questions:detective:
Do read the passage from The Hindu Editorial from the link below and discuss the answers.The question setter's answers are not final and are open to discussion

b. downplays the significance of Indian and Chinese oil imports in global oil price rise .
c. emphasizes the importance of the declining value of the dollar in oil price rise.

4) The term the greenback can be understood to mean
a. a reference to speculation.

my take
1A
2C
3D
4C
  • 1 Like  

My take for the follow qs
1.a
2.b
3.d
4.c

-Deepak.

• 1 Like  

I just read the article . Here are my answers

1) Option(a).
The article analyzes the reasons for the rise in global oil prices.It states that speculation and the weakening of the US dollar are the 2 important short term reasons for the rise in oil prices. Hence, the author is not downplaying the role played by speculation in the rise of oil prices.

2) Option (c)
" Secular growth in oil consumption" refers to the uniform demand for oil in all parts of the world , especially in the developing world.

3) Option (d)
The main aim of this article is to analyze the reasons behind the global oil price raise.The other options for this question are just necessary to find the reasons.

4) Option (c)
The give away line for this question in the article is "As the greenback loses value in relation to other currencies" . This line suggests that greenback is one type of currency which has weakened when compared to the other currencies. By context we can make out that greenback refers to the US dollar.

• 1 Like  
An Idea!:xmas:

Can a few of us who regularly read The Hindu Editorial actually sit down and frame about 4-5 RC questions on the same each day?

The rest of us can discuss the question on this thread.The question setter's answers will not be final And that must more or less simulate the CAT RC solutions many of which can be still debated upon

This way we would be doing the much needed regular reading as well as getting decent RC practice every single day

So people willing to actually set the questions, do reply and volunteer yourselvesPeople who think the idea,if translated into reality would be helpful do Thank this post

Just trying my hand at setting RC questions:detective:
Do read the passage from The Hindu Editorial from the link below and discuss the answers.The question setter's answers are not final and are open to discussion

The Hindu : Opinion / Editorials : Behind the oil price spike

2) The term secular growth in oil consumption can be understood to mean
a. the long term increase in consumption of oil.
b. the increase in demand for oil in certain economies.
c. the increase in demand for oil uniformly throughout.
d. none of the above.

3) In the passage, the author is primarily interested in
a. suggesting measures to the Manmohan Singh government to contain the price rise in oil.
b. pointing out the role of the US in the price rise in oil.
c. showing the significance of consumption of oil in India and China.
d. explaining the reasons behind the price rise in oil.

4) The term the greenback can be understood to mean
a. a reference to speculation.
  • 1 Like  

An Idea!:xmas:

Can a few of us who regularly read The Hindu Editorial actually sit down and frame about 4-5 RC questions on the same each day?

The rest of us can discuss the question on this thread.The question setter's answers will not be final And that must more or less simulate the CAT RC solutions many of which can be still debated upon

This way we would be doing the much needed regular reading as well as getting decent RC practice every single day

So people willing to actually set the questions, do reply and volunteer yourselvesPeople who think the idea,if translated into reality would be helpful do Thank this post

• 10 Likes  
The Hindu : Opinion / Editorials : Chequered journey
Chequered journey

(Decided to write this summary on this short editorial on Hindu, since there weren't much essays around the recent introduction of Women's Reservation Bill in the Rajya Sabha)

The editorial speaks about the recent Introduction of the Women's Reservation Bill in the Rajya Sabha.

The introduction is seen as a triumph considering it's tortuous journey since it's 1996 avatar in the 81st amendment bill(this is the 108th).The Bill had to face opposition through three successive Lok Sabhas

But only a battle had been won , not the war. The Bill faces many oppositions ahead of it. The bill had to face stiff opposition for a decade. Proponents of the bill , including the ruling UPA, sections of the BJP and the left had to employ guerrilla like tactics to prevent papers from being torn up as happened in the 1998 Lok Sabha.Since it had been introduced in the Rajya Sabha it will enjoy more longevity than the Lok Sabha.This show of gender solidarity is heartening but it is also a reminder of the rough road remaining ahead

The bill itself will have to go through an all male Standing Committee on Law and Justice.The main point put forward by the opposition for the bill is that it will support only the upper caste women and thus they demand an OBC quota for it(sub reservation in the Bill).The reason is put forward because the elections have representations for the OBC and Minorities on the contesting seats in the country.

This is a perfect show of proof of the OBC lobby in the Parliment which had blocked this bill for a decade.These opponents are willing to accept the bill in it's present form by proportionately increase in the seats in the parliament.But this acceptance is itself ignoring the demographic of constituencies of the state and the country.The suggested alternative , which is to make political parties mandatory to nominate one third of it's seats contested , seems to be flawed since there is no guarantee that the women will be given tickets to winnable seats.
Elusive order
The article talks about the distruptions in parliament and the action take by presiding officers to decipline the members of parliament. The speaker of parliament has refferd 32 MPS, bulk of them from the Bharatiya Janata Party, to the privileges committee for misbehaviour, but he has to withdrawing of the refernce due to pressure from all political parties.
It puts forth an important question that just how difficult it has become for presiding officers to decipline the legislators. It was a shame that a very few legislators turned up to discuss the isssue of price rise, for which the lower house of parliament was stalled by opposition for so many days. More than 370 hours have been lost to to disruptions and adjournment from June 2004 to December 2007.
It is not that no efforts have been made to evolve a code of conduct, as early as 1992 it was decided in a conference to evolve a code of conduct for legislators. But nothing concrete has come out so far.
Finally the article talks of some suggestions given by eminent personalities to disipline and prevent ditruptions in parliament. Notable among them is the suggestion to increase the number of sitting of parliament and working after hours to compensate for the time lost to disruptions by Vice President Shri Hamid Ansari. But i think the best solution as proposed by Mr. Chatterjee will be "no work, no pay" policy.

Hey All,

Good effort.Am not sure abt we recg the Hindu out here in pune.anyways very good initiative by vamsi.Please keep on posting more analysis for this kind, coz it does matter to all of us!!!!!!!!!!

The Hindu : Opinion / Leader Page Articles : Reservations on the road: pause, reflect & learn

Reservations on the road: pause, reflect & learn

The editorial discusses about the recent introduction of Bus Rapid Transit(BRT) system in Delhi and the confusion caused by it on it's launch.
The concept of BRT is based on reservation of road space for public transport buses for it's faster movement thus in the process of trying to make it superior over private transport.
Road -based bus transits are much economical in terms of capital and offers great operational flexibility as compared to other systems of rail like Metro and Light Rail Transport(LRT). For the cost of building one km of Metro , about 8-10 km of LRT , a 30-50 km modern bus network can be developed and it can move large numbers of people at high speed than others.
Electric powered Rail based systems can be more environmentally friendly and more sustainable when running in full capacity, and many stations are able to provide park and ride facility. They also enjoy a better public image. In India itself, the Metro has become the benchmark of efficiency in public service even if it is under huge state subsidy.
So the appropriateness of the transit alternative in an area depends the rideship pattern and economic profile . Also scalability in integrated planning is important, ie., an area may start with BRT and then gradually change to LRT or full fledged metro in the future.

The author cites the examples of the examples of the following to public transports systems which have become benchmarks in their own way:-
1) Rede Integrada de Transporte, the world's first BRT , in 1974 , was introduced in Brazilian industrial city of Curitiba
2)Transmileno BRT in Bogoata, Columbia introduced in 2001. It is universally acknowledged as the most advanced BRT system with central control room monitors for bus movements, round the clock GPS and synchronized traffic lights.It has attractive stations, bicycle parking and air conditioned low floor buses.The success of Bogota has inspired other BRT like Los Angles orange Line, Ottawa Transitway and Adelaide O-Bahn; Beijing is also going to introduce one before the Olympics.

Now coming to our own country India, our cities are choked with cars. Between 1981 and 2001, on an average the population in 6 metro cities multiplied by 1.8 times but the number of vehicles increased by over 6 times. The crisis is going to be much worse as the new set of mini-cars hits the roads in th near future. Cars occupy 75pc of road space but are used by less than 15pc of the populace.Buses occupy only just 8pc but are used by 20-60pc of the populace. So its the pedestrians and cyclist which occupy the vast majority of the commuters(by 40-75 pc). But our planning system is not at all friendly this latter group as majority of budget allocation is for road widening and flyovers which benefit cars and two wheelers.We have over speeding cars, slow push carts, and jay walking pedestrians occupy our traffic with no regards for traffic rules.
It should be the pedestrians who should normally have the first claim in the road. Its not an abnormal site to see women desperately trying to jump medians and old men running through the maze of traffic.The BRT had bus stops on the central verge but without any facility for the pedestrians to cross over and board it.Elevated foot bridges with long stair climbs are a cruel joke for the disabled and aged.

Just because the BRT didn't work in Delhi, doesn't mean it will not work in other cities.The infamous Blue line buses in majority were used for the BRT instead of the low platform buses since it was adequate in number.Delhi has more vast spatial pattern, great distances and more cars. In comparison , Metros like Chennai, Mumbai and Kolkota have a much compact urban area, long tradition of public transport and better road discipline.

In short, our urban transport policies should take Socio-cultural parameters into consideration while planning.It should be equitable, inclusive and sustainable. Otherwise our future traffic on our roads will always be in a jam.
  • 4 Likes  

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

1031 people follow this discussion.