About this discussion

Last updated

Author
@vamsi0077

Tags

Analyze "The Hindu" Editorial

Hi frens... *"The Hindu" editorial *is a part and parcel of CAT preperation. but to my surprise i didnt find any thread which discusses the difficult words in the editorial and discuss abt their contextual meanings.. So as a starting ef...
Follow this discussion to get notified of latest updates.
Page 26 of 101   
No room for complacency
Date:21/07
The Hindu : Opinion / Editorials : No room for complacency

The article illustrates the impact of swime flu across the globe and how WHO responds to it. It does so by declaring it as a pandemic. Tough data assessment is necessary but WHO made a sensible decisionby asking reports for countries which have faced recent urgency only. This would really help them to fight against the disease and take the stress off them. As a result of past database and experience countries have learnt the importance of sharing it with world body. Concern is shown over countries when healthcare is weak. Moreover it will be difficult for some places to tackle the situation. The situation will raise the curtain on the preparedness of the world to fight against it.

Just started......do pour in tips for improvement!

do we have a epaper version of the editorial? can you specify on which page it comes?

One Year PGPM @ Great Lakes

Post Graduate Program in Management (PGPM)

- 1 Year Fast Track MBA Program

- Accredited by AMBA, UK

- Ranked 7th by Outlook & Business Today in 2014

- Avg. CTC of INR 11.43 Lakhs in 2014

App. Deadline: 30 November, 2014

Learn More

10+ Global Associations with Leading Schools/ Universities

25+ International Visiting Faculty from Stanford, Yale, Kellogg, etc.

50+ National Level Prizes Won by Students in 2013-14

100+ Industry Leaders on Campus in 2013-14

3000+ Alumni Network spread over 28 Countries

Know More
Towards the GST - dated 16th july 09

The article follows the announcement made by the Finance Minister about the GST(Goods and Services Tax), when presenting the budget. The article begins with explaining the two tier structure to be adopted for the GST, at the central and state. This is followed by explanation about how the various governing agencies should gear themselves up by making suitable preparations to implement the tax, like repealing existing levies and compensating the State governments appropriately
Dreams of the Moon and beyond - dated 16th july 09

The article explores the evolution of space travel from the time men landed on the moon to what space travel is today - on the occasion of the 40th anniversary month of the Moon landing by Neil Armstrong and his men. It also mentions how space travel was associated with the Cold War and also how little was achieved after the United States became the maiden player in space travel.Moreover, the article also mentions the current trends in space travel,what needs to be done to revive it and also the role of Asian powers like China and India in space travel

A Calculated Risk (editorial 15th July)

This article deals with the Finance Minister's decision regarding 6.8% fiscal deficit. It can be justified given the current scenario and the overall objective of the government: Inclusive growth. The article goes on to show that the expectation to reduce it to 5.5 percentage by 2010 is tough given that it took the government 4 years to bring down the deficit it had in 2003-04 by around 1.2 percentage.

A calculated risk - editorial from the hindu dated 15-07-09

The article seeks to analyze the record high fiscal deficit presented in the recent budget. Though the finance minister's justification for such a high deficit appears in the right light, given the objectives of the spending, the promise of the return to the older deficit values have to be dealt with caution, given the previous records of how long it took for the earlier governments to reduce fiscal deficits and also what has been promised by the present government as the expected timeline of reduction

Uncertain monsoon and agriculture(editorial dated 15 th July 09)

The article highlights the rainfall distribution of monsoon over the states which provide food crops.Statistically, there are impending dangers of a crop failure if the next few days do not provide adequate rainfall for the crop cultivating states.The article then proceeds to highlight the panic driven consequences of monsoon failure and gives suggestions on how the government and other agencies should step in and improve the situation

sry for diverting frm the main stream bt i need help frm u guys regarding ths

hi frnds...i hav just started my prep for cat 2010..
yr tell me 1 thng ws it the same situation with u all in the begining..
many times while reading....the material seems to be diverting frm topic...many lines go bouncers...nd there are plenty f alien wrds..smtimes the count goes nearly 25-30...
nd if ths ws nt the situation with u all.thn tll me shud i go for easier editorials in other papers..

Ya it's the case with so many of the starters...
I will advice you one thing...
You shud start ur editorial reading habit through Times of India and then move to The Hindu after a few months when you become comfortable...
Also make it a point to read a lot of extra stuffs like magazines and novels coz CAT is all abt ur reading speed and understanding...
  • 1 Like  
sry for diverting frm the main stream bt i need help frm u guys regarding ths

hi frnds...i hav just started my prep for cat 2010..
yr tell me 1 thng ws it the same situation with u all in the begining..
many times while reading....the material seems to be diverting frm topic...many lines go bouncers...nd there are plenty f alien wrds..smtimes the count goes nearly 25-30...
nd if ths ws nt the situation with u all.thn tll me shud i go for easier editorials in other papers..
Memories(MUMBAI) -http://www.pagalguy.com/forums/chit-chat/shoutbox-t-83788/p-3594016/r-4694083 :) DELHI - http://www.pagalguy.com/forums/chit-chat/shoutbox-t-83788/p-3594016/r-4799320

useful info. thanx.. dint know THe hindu is so famous for its editorial

well dis article informs us..dat nowadays people are looking for easier means of learning english language..by posting words(vich dey hav discoverd)...vich makes easier for everybody to understand..
for ex:social networkers== inbox rot...

regards..
anups

• 1 Like  
Symbols over substance?

Leaders can only be immortal if they r remembered by the common man. By putting statues and memorials what bhenji is doing is only reducing the amount of money that shud go to the people who were responsible for electing her. That is what will make her immortal.
Katchatheevu is settled

Both Indian and Sri Lankan govt. think that the issue of the Katchatheevu island is solved but the main issue is with indian fishermen demanding penetration into sri lankan waters for fishing. But this cannot be demanded. this is what is leading the local parties to keep on demanding the central govt. to talk with sri lanka.
Symbols over substance?
The Hindu : Opinion / Editorials : Symbols over substance?
The article shares opinion about UP CM Ms. Mayawatis obsession for the memorials and statues. She is known as disciplined administrator, however spending 2000 crore Rs. on construction of memorials and reconstruction of already completed project is not reasonable. To justify this act of irresponsibly spending public money, UP Government compared the statues and memorials of Ambedkar and Kansi Ram with Nehru Memorial Centre in New Delhi, while The Nehru Memorial is a research centre of social science and one of the finest libraries of India. Undoubtedly, Ambedkar and Kansi Ram gave their astonishing contributions to uplift the status of Dalit in India, but the chauvinistic approach and symbolism is leading to squander Mayawatis good work which she has done in past and General Election 2009 reflected the voters feeling about it.

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

1030 people follow this discussion.