About this discussion

Last updated

Author
Purnachandra Rao @Chandoo

Tags

All I wanted to Speak about CAT

*Download the FREE 'The Best of All I Wanted to speak about CAT' ebook*, a compendium of the best posts on this thread. Use this thread to detail how your CAT journey went. For any query, use the threads available across the forum.

Follow this discussion to get notified of latest updates.
  This is a moderated thread to share your experiences about CAT.
Page 2 of 74   

How is ims course for gdpi? Which is better ims gdpi or cl's?

• 4 Comments
  • #. 25 Jan.
  • Please post your questions here : http://www.pagalguy.c.... 26 Jan.

How is ims course for gdpi? Which is better ims gdpi or cl's?

• Ims' course is great. I don't know about cl. 30 Jan.
jayssj
@jayssj 23

Ims' course is great. I don't know about cl

best CAT coaching center in bangalore??? Looking to attempt the CAT 2015 exam...

• 5 Comments
  • @jay3421 A lot of places :stuck_out_tongue: Prep ho h.... 24 Jan.
  • @linga that's dope!. 25 Jan.
Dark_Passenger
Nikhar Mattu @Dark_Passenger 3,735

@jay3421  A lot of places   Prep ho hi nhi paa rha. Aap btao.

Where can I find the pagalguy ebook, "The art of writing SOP"?

• ₹. 28 Jan.
Always learning and evolving

siib pune vs nmims bangalore??

guys pls give me valid reason n do answer ....i just want to appear for any one of them. 

• pune better. 23 Jan.
Start Working To Fulfill Your DreamsOtherwise Some Day Someone Will Put You in Work To Fulfill their Dreams! 

Hi.This is my first post on pagalguy.I need ur help

I appeared for CAT 2014 .My overall score is 88.41 QA:84 VA:86.63.This was my first serious attempt at CAT

I know its a very low percentile and the colleges I can apply to are a few in no.I left my job for preparing for CAT and with this score I am even more depressed.I have a work experience of 16 months.My NMAT score is 199.I did not apply for NMIMS Bangalore/Hyderabad campus

I am in  a very difficult situation right now.My parents are already angry with me because of my decision of not applying to NM Bangalore campus and are upset because of my low score in  CAT.I do not have the option of repeating another year.

What should be my further course of action?

• 30 Comments
  • @vrindaye sorry !!. 03 Apr.
  • @vrindaye messaged u again,kindly reply to that too. 03 Apr.
alanshore
AIM CAT @alanshore 149

@vrindaye messaged u again,kindly reply to that too

Puys I have a question 
I appeared for CAT 14 and got a pathetic score,OA 90.29 percentile (QA 87.18,marks 69.44 and VA 86.33,marks 62.83).I expected much better as I was able to manage 95+ in AIMCATs in last 5 AIMCATS consistently.
Its not worthy to think about that now,because PAST cant be changed.
I am a B.Tech in Mechanical Engineering from a Government college and passed with CGPA 8.1 in 2014
My acads are also decent (96% and 87% in 10th and 12th resp.)
I want to do MBA from a good college(old IIMs,SPJAIN,MDI,FMS,NITIE etc) but I dont think I can manage as I am GENERAL.
So I want to try for the next time.But then I will lose a year as I am unemployed right now.My question is will this bother my chances for next year admission?Will this '1 YEAR LOSS' thing cut my chances off for the premier institutes next year?What should I do now?
Help me with your valuable suggestions

Thank you in advance.

• 1 Like   3 Comments
  • @sujitsinhajgec There are many aspirants, every year, who.... 20 Jan.
  • @next_big_thing thank you for your suggestion.To be hones.... 20 Jan.
Risk it all....to win it all !!  
next_big_thing
ANKIT BARIK @next_big_thing 447

@sujitsinhajgec There are many aspirants, every year, who take a year drop inorder to devote themselves wholeheartedly to their goal. A 1-year drop is not a big deal at all, BUT there is a rider - u must score a killer percentile next time or u will be left in the cold. If u can come up with a superb score next time in CAT/XAT/IIIFT, the one year gap will not be a sore point at all & ur interviewers would gladly look beyond that. But on the other hand, if u fail next time also, u will be in a deep mess with no job, a year gap & no coveted call - a mess of epic proportions. This is the reason why many stay away from the dreaded year drop (since they don't have the heart to take such a big risk) while the rest take the plunge headlong, knowing fully well that this is what I want & am gonna go all out to get it. 

So it's upto u to decide which group u belong to. There is a compromise too but I don't think that applies to u - there are many who are in a dead-end job but don't have the heart to take a drop. So what they do is stay in their company till July. By then, he must have appeared in 5-6 mocks. If the percentile languishes is the 75-82 range, it indicates that the drop may be a big risk. On the hand hand, if he is scoring 90+, that means he is up there with the best & taking a drop and focusing fully on CAT may not be such a bad idea. If u indeed decide to take the drop, try to do something to plug that hole - pursue an online degree in ur area of interest - six sigma certification, project management courses, CFA, NCFM certificates for Finance enthusiasts or Digital Marketing course - whatever interests u.

sujitsinhajgec
Sujit Sinha @sujitsinhajgec 20

@next_big_thing thank you for your suggestion.To be honest,I am really confident to get a 'KILLER PERCENTILE' next time as my basics are already brushed up.I just want to take mocks as many as possible.so thank you for your inspirational words,it really helps me a lot. :) 

Hey folks, I wanted to know if we are not from Maharashtra then what is the probability that we would turn out to be the selected candidate from exams like CMAT and CET..

• #. 18 Jan.

My MBA story. How I got a 100 Percentile and didn't join an IIM

Hello Puys. Hope all of you are doing well. Been quite some time that I posted anything of note on PG.

My

The trigger for this post? I recently came across one of the latest posts on "All I wanted to speak about CAT" by @sid2222000 and wanted to share the same from my side as well. Being an oldie and an active member/moderator/employee/DT captain/editor circa 2009-11, I was always coaxed to write something about the journey but couldn't. I guess, on a holiday, with enough motivation to write something, I have finally managed to recollect and record something that might be useful to future CAT aspirants and might give a bit of insights into how I went about CAT.

Statutory warning: A lot of gyaan to follow. Those who know me on PG can vouch for the same!

A long long time ago in 2004

Till then, a conventional life had been led, with dreams as limited as to which college should I go to next and how should I study to achieve the former. Why should I go for a particular career choice was not thought about and the consequences, not planned. I managed to bag the last merit seat in Grant Medical College, Mumbai (one of the best in the country as I would later realize). It was a dream come true and for someone who was the proverbial frog in the well, it was an opportunity to experience a lot of new things.

2004-2008

Apart from a major personal setback, things were pretty smooth on the academic front. MBBS is a stretched out course that gives you ample time to grow academically and so, there was no major issue on the academic front. However, as time passed, I began to realize the need to have a plan for the future post my graduation.

When you get into a medical college, almost everybody is set to land up a seat at a post graduate institute in medicine or surgery. Over the previous 4 years, I had realized that I would not like to practice for the remainder of my life and so, getting into medicine or surgery would not make sense. I started looking for options and found that an MBA was interesting for 2 reasons - it was something that would add something to my personality (mock me all you want but I genuinely feel that MBA is somewhat a glorified personality development course with content addition as a by product) & the process seemed inviting to someone like me who had a knack of cracking aptitude tests (how wrong I was into thinking that one has to only crack a test to get into a B-school). I had never ever thought of the specialization aspect and was single-mindedly focused on just getting into a good B-school (a mistake in hindsight).

As is the case with many CAT aspirants, I Googled "MBA after MBBS". These 3 words changed the course of my life and I landed on PG. After trying and testing the forum (back in those days, PG had a simple interface), I finally signed up for the website in Jan 2008.

2008-2009

I started getting active on PG, started seeking help from senior puys including @puri.pallavi, @implex, @estranged_gnrs, @rmbt, @deep_agarwal and many many more. Seeking help turned into helping others and I took a liking to the concept of PG and the helpfulness of the users. The entirety of 2008 was spent well in understanding the various aspects of an MBA and how it would make sense to do one at that point in time. As has been the case many a time, it was a matter of deciding first and then finding means to justify that decision.

I had made it to the PG Mumbai Dream Team (in spite of not being a CAT taker that year) and had a wonderful time discussing strategies and learning from fellow aspirants like @implex, @navneet023, Nitin, @iitr.abhishek, @smarep amongst others.  

Come 2009 and I had a happy surprise call from @estranged_gnrs to ask if I was interested in moderating the forum. I had been pretty active in the previous months and was looking forward to playing a more important role with PG in an official capacity. I started attending PG meets; AIPGM 2009 was my first meet and I had the opportunity of meeting the likes of @ganeshiima, @iim.maniac, @try4it, @harshadk, @puri.pallavi, @pushkar84 and many more. I vividly remember sharing the dorm with @pushka84 and @ganeshiima and wondering if it was a good omen (both of them were on their way to IIM A that year and as it invariably is with a CAT aspirant, I had already taken a liking to WIMWI). Mumbai meets were fun and I remember a time when we used to go to CL to have meets with the Mumpuy junta. I managed to get into the prestigious Pagalguy Dream Team and had a wonderful time with @Sammael, @NeverG!veUp, @r11gupta, @ThEbmr, @silentassassin, @vipul88, @prakharc, @Explorer_Gagan, @varun.garg.pec. Never ever was a moment when it was not competitive and never ever was a moment when it led to tension between the teammates; one of the few representations where online interaction is as fruitful as meeting someone in person (we might have met only 3-4 times in total but still know each other a lot better than that). PG was defined by the sanctity of online interactions and this was the epitome of that thought.

The exams were passing at a fast clip. I had a fair amount of confidence in my ability but never felt from within that I could dream big. All my previous attempts at gaining excellence had fallen short by some distance (starting from my 10th standard to my medical entrance where I had almost fallen short of getting into GMC). I felt that I could be content getting into a decent institute and would need a stroke of luck if I were to make it to ABC. CAT came and went and I was not really happy with my attempt (same slot as @WarriorWithin, my batch mate and a very close friend from GMC who later made it to IIM L). The paper was a bit strange and I was not sure if I had done justice to the paper. IIFT, FMS and SNAP had passed uneventfully and XAT remained.

I had never taken XAT before and had heard a lot of stories about it being unpredictable and incredibly challenging. In an era where solving previous year papers would allow even non serious aspirants to get some footing, XAT came across as a breath of fresh air. The paper was challenging and I found it to my liking. I merrily went around solving questions and when I had finished, I had attempted 71 questions out of a maximum possible 100 odd. Came out and got a call from @r11gupta and we were mutually shocked at the disparity in attempts (he had attempted 55 odd but had a knack for being extremely accurate). I was stunned at my attempt. All keys showed that I had done decently enough to get both the calls from XLRI. The belief had started returning.

Results came out and I was indifferent to see a 98.26%ile in CAT. I had not expected a huge score but had always felt that a 99+ was on the cards. More shocking was that I had missed the GK cutoff in IIFT by 0.8 marks and the LR cutoff in SNAP by 1.5 marks. So, here I was without a call yet with FMS and XLRI results pending.

As expected, I managed to bag both BM and PMIR calls from XLRI with a score of 99.96%ile. FMS was kind enough to give calls although I was sure I had barely scraped through. Got a consolation call from MDI through CAT and that was it.

Now came probably the biggest learning of my life. I had taken GDPI extremely lightly and was banking heavily on my diverse profile and written score to get through. My answers were half baked and being a shy and reserved person, I could not muster enough courage to talk to people and get my answers reviewed. Disaster struck in my XLRI and FMS interviews and I failed miserably in all 4 of them.

But surprisingly, in spite of the failure, I was surprisingly happy about the outcome as I was not prepared to enter a B-School at that point in time and needed more time to reflect and clarity. I was sure why I wanted to do an MBA and how I was not too keen to enter the healthcare sector but I had reservations accepting that I had made a mistake in the past and was looking forward to changing it. I realized that it is impossible to convince someone about something that you are not convinced about and promised myself to take care of this in the future. Post my FMS interview and non-conversion, I had spent a few days with @ayush13 at his home and the amount of belief he and his mother put into me were amazing. I realised that I could make it happen given another opportunity.

Maharashtra CET still remained and I took it with a clear mind given that I had nothing to lose. Had some in depth insights from @prasad.sawant, @nikhil.john, @murtz and others and it really helped. I ended up scoring 179/200 which is probably the highest score ever in CET and had managed to exorcise my internal demons (the one thing that really gave me happiness and I don't mean to come across as arrogant, was that, I had managed to score a mark better than @PatrickDsouza Sir who has been a source of inspiration to many CET and CAT aspirants). I believed that I could top a test (might sound trivial to many but for me, it meant a lot). GDPI happened and I managed to get a 211/240 which has not been breached since then. The previous highest was a 201 and so, I knew that if I were sufficiently relaxed and had my mind clear, I had it in me to get into the top B-schools in the country. I had my first bite of the publicity pie and my first interview was with PG which was probably @laj's first article on PG.

I chose to forego JBIMS (I didn't apply to the institute) and was looking for options as to what should I be doing in the interim year. I had a few options from TIME, TestFunda, E&Y. I was planning to pick one amongst them that would not harm my CV much and would be a good learning experience. And then PG happened. @pagalguy and @estranged_gnrs called me up to discuss a prep platform that was in the pipeline at that point in time and little did I realize that it was an interview. I was not at all prepared for the same and lacked the maturity to put in some amount of thought before going for an interaction at that point in time. In hindsight, I gave probably what was an embarrassing account of myself and I am grateful to get an opportunity at that point in time in spite of that.

I started writing articles for the homepage and started gaining popularity. I was appointed captain of the Pagalguy Dream Team 2010 and it was a tremendous experience all over again. Made great friends in the process and rarely had I encountered a more talented bunch of individuals: @the_hate, @geminite, @abhishek_sharma, @TnT, @hbz_316, @Scuderia, @Samurai_X, @.Z., @nik.nat, @murtz and @varun.garg.pec, @targetcat_2010, @Alex_Mahone and many more.

My mock scores had started rising and I was pretty confident of a fruitful year:

Mock Scores Repository 2010

The dynamics shared was completely different from what I had the previous year. This year, everybody was determined to score crazy and make a mockery of the entrance tests. And mockery they did.

On a personal front, I had started to gain a bit of confidence. Although not fully open, I started interacting with people around me. That PG was with me during that point in time was a big help although I am sure I have given everybody at the PGHQ few sleepless nights wondering if hiring me was indeed a correct decision. It was the start of my development though and I would always fondly remember the year I spent with PG. I discussed my interview answers with almost everybody at the HQ and there was some feedback waiting for me that helped me gain insights not only into the interview process but as to how the interviewers thoughts and how could I be one step ahead of them.

CAT came and it was a laborious slot to say the least. On 14th of November 2010, on Children's day, afternoon slot, 3 people suffered a similar fate - @abhishek_sharma, @TnT and I. I understand when an exam is difficult and it is fun to crack such exams too (XAT 2011 comes to mind, more on that later) but there is a thin line beyond which, it becomes incredibly frustrating. Add to that an unclear process of normalization and you are almost about to pull your hair off. I was sure that DI/LR was a bit too annoying (50 row tables with simple calculation based questions that required one to scroll up and down and left and right) but managed to fight it out. Verbal was a breeze and I always had faith in my quant abilities.

IIFT and SNAP were swatted away and I managed to get calls and convert them quite easily. FMS was a breeze and I knew I had rocked the paper big time.

XAT was next and fond memories from the year before made me look forward to this new challenge. And what a challenge it was. 3 sections, with an unequal number of questions and marks, questions ranging from 1-markers to 5-markers and the test taking fraternity was surely stumped. I could clearly see people in the exam hall rattled and a few almost cried after not making enough headway post the first hour. Sample this: the test was of 250 odd marks and the cutoffs were predicted to be around 35. I was happy that I had done justice to the test and was looking forward to the result.

Results started trickling in. FMS had given me a call and I knew I could convert it given my huge written score and the 70% emphasis on the same. XLRI gave me both calls, after a bit of a mishap when XLRI faced some technical glitch which was reported on PG (by yours truly; in hindsight, it was pretty acerbic and I had to probably pay the price for it during my interview ;)).

Then CAT struck. On the night of the 11th of January 2011, I entered that zone when people don't know whether to be happy or sad about a particular event. My scorecard showed 93.79%ile with a 55.84%ile in verbal. I was shocked beyond belief and could not move away from my pc for an entire day. All the dreams I had of making it to an IIM were squashed and I could not think of a thing that I could have done to correct the history.

A lot of support was shown from my friends at PG and I was glad to have such motivating people around J

I fought my way through the XL BM interview which was probably marred by my vengeance article on PG a few days back and managed to convert my FMS call and decided on joining the same.

The team did pretty well that year with a few exceptions:

DT 2010 Scorecard

Now, all happy stories on this thread have come to an end at this point in time. But iss kahani mein ek twist hai

FMS started and I had a wonderful time there. The opportunity was amazing and I had a fair bit of idea as to what I should be expecting and what were the things I should take care about. I had a clear picture of what I wanted to gain from my MBA (development on personal front with some positions of responsibility, a change in my career and some added content). I loved the institute and am extremely proud to be an alumnus. Summer internship came and I was happy to come out of it with a TAS offer (for the uninitiated, TAS has an approximately 2 hour Group Discussion and is probably one of the most sought after company on campus). The GD demons were put to rest and I was happily in FMS, with a TAS offer and in the Media Relations team.

All this while, the fire still burned within me. The question of what went wrong in CAT 09 and 10 was still unanswered. CAT had become more than an entrance test to me. All this made me take CAT once again in 2011. The only people who were aware of this were my mother and @neha.visionary who had secretly smuggled me a CAT application form. I registered on the last day and there was only one slot (morning, which I hate) and one center available. CAT had shifted to a new pattern and so, I was not prepared at all for what lay ahead. In hindsight, it helped me that I was under no pressure. I had no plans to switch, had a good internship in hand and was in line for entering the Placecom at FMS which is kind of a big deal. The test went by and I was really happy with my performance. I had managed to finish both the sections 10 minutes before the time ran out and had checked and crosschecked at least a couple of times. I came out of the exam hall, called up my mother and said, "I won't be surprised if I score a 100."

The results came out in January. I had scored a 100, the sweet smell of success. I was sure of not taking up admission into an IIM and so, did not appear for any of the interviews. The only take away from the result was the belief that I could do something substantial at a big stage. The demons had been exorcised and here I was, living the dream I had started out with.

Fast Forward

FMS was a wonderful experience. I got into the placecom and had a wonderful time there. Learnt a lot from the faculty and peers and ended up with a job in Sales with ITC. After completing 20 months with ITC, selling soaps and shampoos and agarbattis across first coastal Andhra Pradesh and then the entire Andhra Pradesh, I am entering a new beginning once again...

Am extremely thankful to all who have read through this huge post, and all those who are on PG who make PG the wonderful place that it is. Kudos to the team who keep the site running, fulfilling dreams of thousands of aspirants.

PS: A few names I want to mention: @seba_catrpillar, @cutie.pie, @sweetgalshruti, @justtj, @first_timer, @abhimukh19, @visionIIM-ACL, @rajaramvarun, @varnicat, @soumik.ganguly, @shreyas_nitt, @kinji@PG, @anwesa09, @barclaysboss, @uglyduckling, @Amodh, @rahicecream, @subhakimi, @naga25french, @Crysis, @ravi.tejapalla, @Clark-kent, @ajaigovindg, @astha_a, @severus_snits, @QuintEssence, @writetotanveer, @manish.harodia, @pari123, @priyalli, @Rooney7, @inshulchawla, @The.Raven, @vineetkhn, @vivekkahn, @vineet.nitd, @spirit11, @grondmaster, @chuck_gopal, @harry4u9, @Psychodementia, @raghav507, @wHiTe_HoLe, @pendyal, @lehmannbrothershereicome, @sumitrocks, @diablorulez, @deep_agarwal, @UtsavGambhir, @deepu, @arion5, the entire Dream Teams and Underdogs Teams of all years.

PPS: I have not been able to name many of the puys here owing to my poor memory. I am sure I would be forgiven.

PPPS: This has been bigger than I had ever thought.

PPPPS: Any grammatical errors are to be forgiven. This is straight from the heart without any edits.

Moral/s of the story:

You can have 0 idea about what you are going to do in the long term and still end up experiencing a lot of good things; having goals is important no doubt but being farfetched doesn't help either

Your friends, relatives, well-wishers might all make sense at some point in time and you might come across as a very confused individual, but at the end of the day, it is your choice that would matter

Doing an MBA at the right point in time is extremely crucial in how your career would turn out to be; the question why MBA needs to be answered not only from an interview's point of view but for yourself to know if this is the best you would want to do to yourself over the next few years

Getting into an institute might be a dream for many and even yours at certain points in time, but it always helps to be rational rather than getting carried away at times (letting go of institutes after topping 2 tests was not easy and people still ridicule me, but I was sure of my decision both times)

Trust in yourself, put in hard word and it won't go unrewarded.

(This article has been written by a PaGaLGuY user so largely left unedited to retain the flavour).

• 152 Likes   46 Comments
  • @shashank3012 inspirational. 16 Mar.
Captain, PG Dream Team 2010 | CAT 11 - 100%ile | CET 10 - Rank 1 (211/240) 

Hi Puys, 

X : 80% (Maharashtra State Board)-2004

XII : 68% (Maharashtra State Board)-2006

B.E.(Electronics) : 67% (Mumbai University)-2011

I got placed in Hexaware Technologies, Navi Mumbai,  working there I realized I should go for an MBA and that was the one sure shot way to enter the managerial level and also have a change in my field to Finance.

I spontaneously decided to leave my job and prepare for CAT. GAve CAT in 2012 for the first time and got a horrible 68%ile. Plus I had NO JOB.

I then left the hope for MBA and in 2013 I joined a small company close to home and worked there in half the salary that I used to get in the earlier job. No job satisfaction and then the company relocated to Indore, because of which I resigned from there in Oct 2013. Then I took private tutions at home.

Things were going smooth until the need to get back at CAT became very strong. Joined a coaching class : Endeavor Classes in Vashi. Was performing well there. Gave CMAT Sept 2014 and got 96.57%ile, Scored 86.76%ile in CAT 2014. I am not happy with my score. Even my parents feel I could have done much better. 

I have applied to FORE, TAPMI, Welingkars, FMS-BHU, KJ Somaiya. 

Is it advisable to give CAT one more shot. Although I am 26 already and my parents keep insisting on marriage. 

• 4 Likes   13 Comments
  • @AMBEK If u don't mind me being honest, age is not the pr.... 20 Jan.
  • demotivating. 6d.
next_big_thing
ANKIT BARIK @next_big_thing 447

@AMBEK If u don't mind me being honest, age is not the problem but ur profile is. Institutes & companies during placements would gladly look beyond ur age (other than TAS & a host of FMCG companies) if u have a solid profile to boast but unfortunately, other than ur X score, it's all downhill. The inconsequential & haphazard work-ex is a sore point too. Jumping from 86 to 99+ in a year is very very tough (there are some exceptional cases where ppl have jumped from 49 to 99 but they are just that - an exception). Even if u score 95-96 next time, considering the current state of indian education system where such a score has been rendered ordinary, ur options wont increase manifold- maybe just IMT-G, IMI, XIMB & IIT-M. Another headache is actually converting ur call since it's not all black & white there. In u, the panelists will see someone who will be very difficult to place in a tough year & who will bring down the average of the batch.

Now that we have all the negative out of the way, lets get to re-building part. U have reached a stage where u badly need to start over. If u indeed wanna reach epic heights in ur career, u will need a starting point. So I would strongly recommend u to go to TAPMI or FMS-BHU this year itself, if u get the call & convert it, that is. Try to get the placed in a decent company (Axis bank, ICICI etc) & simultaneously pursue ur CFA (U should clear upto L2 by the time of passing out. Will help u greatly during final placements & during switching) - This is the starting over that I was talking about. None of the dream offers go to anywhere outside the Top-10. So u will be placed in a back-end Ops role. U will be 28 by the time u join. Work in Finance industry for 3-4 yrs, try building ur CV during this time by completing ur CFA, maybe do some online certifications from MIT, LSE on Investment Banking etc - This is the re-building stage. Now, when u have somewhat strengthened ur CV, u should sit for GMAT & try for a 2nd MBA (an Elite MBA) from HEC Paris, INSEAD, IESE Spain (these 3 in particular coz they are the only Top-15 FT B-Schools that favour ppl in their 30s) or IIM-A. Now, when u passout, u can truly aim for greatness. U will have access to all the top roles in the Finance world & all ur struggles will be in the past. Best of luck

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

14629 people follow this discussion.