[2011] ISB Hyd's Admissions Director Mr VK Menon answers admission-related questions

Dear all, The tradition continues in its fifth year. ISB's *Senior Director, Career Advancement Services and Admissions & Financial Aid, Mr VK Menon* is back on PaGaLGuY to answer all your questions about ISB PGP admissions, scholarships...
Follow this discussion to get notified of latest updates.
Page 39 of 57   
Dear Mr Menon,

I am an Australian Passport holder with > 15 years of experience (IT with Retail+telecom industries in Australia). What are the chances of my admission to ISB for batch 2012-2013, with the following profile:

GMAT score of 630 (Q 47 V 29).

Working experience 15 years (10 years in Retail - working for Woolworths Australia, in IT, rest five in Telco - all experience in Sydney, Australia).

Citizenship: Australian

Grad/Post grad scores - 60-70% (B.Tech from Nagarjuna University, India - 1993 - Masters in Electrical Engg - Univ of Wollongong 1995).

Extra curricular activities - fair few !

Thanks in advance,
PK

we do not comment on specific profiles. you may want to check out a forum run by our alumni for more counseling help on this. http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/isbconnect-25056724
Ask ISB Admissions 2013 Thread - http://pagalguy.com/forums/gmat-accepting-schools/2012-ask-isb-hyderabad-slash-mohali-admissions-director-am-kannan-answers-admission-related-questions-t-83812/
Hi Mr. Menon,
Thanks a lot for your time and sharing valuable info .
Sharing my profile for your inputs, planning to apply for ISB 2013-14 program -
Xth - 85.8%
XIIth - 79%
BCA - 72.1%
MBA(Finance) - 72.8% (From a mediocre institute)

Work Experience Total 8 years (Post MBA, 6 years)
ve been working as a Business Analyst/Domain Consultant with Wipro Technologies in Securities & Capital Markets domain for last Four and Half Years.

My queries
1) As already having an MBA, does it hamper my prospects in getting shortlisted for ISB?
2) I do not have any extracurricular activities to mention in the application will this dampen my prospects of getting shortlisted?
Regards,
Muni

Mission ISB 2013-14 J I bounce back if u hit me hard!! J
One Year PGPM @ Great Lakes

Post Graduate Program in Management (PGPM)

- 1 Year Fast Track MBA Program

- Accredited by AMBA, UK

- Ranked 7th by Outlook & Business Today in 2014

- Avg. CTC of INR 11.43 Lakhs in 2014

App. Deadline: 30 November, 2014

Learn More

10+ Global Associations with Leading Schools/ Universities

25+ International Visiting Faculty from Stanford, Yale, Kellogg, etc.

50+ National Level Prizes Won by Students in 2013-14

100+ Industry Leaders on Campus in 2013-14

3000+ Alumni Network spread over 28 Countries

Know More
Admissions@ISB Says
it applies to both rounds.

Hii ,
As we know ISB doesn't comes under AICTE regulations, so whats the caste based reservations scenario in ISB.

Thanks

Hi,
I submitted my application before 15th July, but haven't received any mail regarding the interviews. I guess people have started getting the mails for interview.(I read this on another thread)

Does this mean my application has been rejected?

Hi
I thought they start the interview process only after all applications are received by R1/R2 deadline. Is it true that there is some interim deadline and as mentioned in your post submission by July 15 would result in an interview if found suitable?

Hi
I thought they start the interview process only after all applications are received by R1/R2 deadline. Is it true that there is some interim deadline and as mentioned in your post submission by July 15 would result in an interview if found suitable?

Hi

Hi

I had applied before the 15th of July with Delhi as my preferred interview location. Does this mean that if shortlisted, even I would be having my interview on the 6th and 7th of August in Hyderabad. And if I don't hear from you in the next couple of days, would it mean that I haven't been shortlisted for the interview?

Thanks

Hi,

I have the following profile:

Xth (CBSE) : 91%
XIIth (CBSE) : 90%
B.Tech - Computer Engg. - Delhi College of Engineering - 67%

Work Ex: 2 years as Risk Management Consultant at Deloitte, 2 month IT-based internship at PriceWaterhouseCoopers

I plan to enroll for an MBA this year and am giving GMAT as well, can you let me know how my profile looks with respect to ISB admission? I have a few co-curricular activities and a few leadership roles as well.

Thanks....

Dear Mr Menon,

I am an Australian Passport holder with > 15 years of experience (IT with Retail+telecom industries in Australia). What are the chances of my admission to ISB for batch 2012-2013, with the following profile:

GMAT score of 630 (Q 47 V 29).

Working experience 15 years (10 years in Retail - working for Woolworths Australia, in IT, rest five in Telco - all experience in Sydney, Australia).

Citizenship: Australian

Grad/Post grad scores - 60-70% (B.Tech from Nagarjuna University, India - 1993 - Masters in Electrical Engg - Univ of Wollongong 1995).

Extra curricular activities - fair few !

Thanks in advance,
PK

Hello
I was going through the student profiles and out of the following 14 people at Full Time Post Graduate Programme in Management

Atma Shivalanka
Sumit Maheshwari
Hozefa AbbasSaurav
AtriMohit Mittal
Mohit Mittal
Subhas Sumithra
Aman Raza Khan
Sidharth Malhotra
Vibha Adlakha
Kota Ravi Chandra
SantoshNarayanan
KuttyPriyanka
Navniet Sekera
KimberlyAnderson Warriah

who are mentioned I don't see one with an IT background which looks odd to me given the location (India) of the school and the number of students from IT background.

This is a cause of concern for me particularly as I come from an IT background and would have liked to see fair representation.

Thanks
Amit

close to 65% of class comes form engineering background and majority of these are from IT bckground. we would love to sync you up with people from IT background. Just drop us a line at pgpadmissions@isb.edu and we will do the needful.
Ask ISB Admissions 2013 Thread - http://pagalguy.com/forums/gmat-accepting-schools/2012-ask-isb-hyderabad-slash-mohali-admissions-director-am-kannan-answers-admission-related-questions-t-83812/
Hello Sir,

My previous company team lead has the in-depth idea to assess my work. But he has now moved to another company.
Whether it is good to get a recco from him or from my manager who is still with the same company and knows me but doesn't have that much details compared to my TL.
Please advice what to do.

Regards,
Raghav

you can get it from him. and one can be form your current company.
Sir,

The approximate ratios applies to all rounds i.e. R1, R2 and R3, or ratios varies significantly for different rounds?

it applies to both rounds.
Hi Menon,

I am an aspirant to the ISB admissions this year.Had a couple of questions on the admissions,and I think you would be the best person to have them clarified for me.

Profile -
I am a B.TEch(Mech) graduate from one of the reputed colleges in Kerala.
Have a total of about 7 years work experience in IT, with 3 years international experience(US).

I moved back to India a year ago, to gain experience in Project management, and I have been a Project manager in my current company for the past 1 plus year.
Current Job involves managing a 30 member team, plus overseeing the delivery of Software services worth an annual turnover of USD 3 Million.
Career growth(in terms of roles, promotions and international experience) has been above average.

GMAT - 710(Q46,V41),AWA 4.5

My questions -

-With the above profile, do you think that I stand a reasonable chance for gaining admit to ISB? I know that the above information is not complete to answer this, but would help to know your initial thoughts.

-Do you recommend that I retake the GMAT? My current score came with a 3 weeks effort, so if a better GMAT would improve my chances, I am sure that I can improve by 30-40 pts.

-An ISB alum has promised to give me recommendation.He was my supervisor for my first project, and we last worked together around 5 yrs ago. I thought he would be good choice for recommending me, because he knew my performance right from the start, and my career aspirations match what he has done(from IT to Consulting).
Or should I go with a recent supervisor?

- Any areas you think I would need to work on?Since the IT Male category forms a major chunk of applicants, do you recommend highlighting personal experiences?

- My long term career goal is to get into retailing on my own.Have a blue print, and have started something on a very low investment, but I need to have the right skills(and money!) before I take it to the next level.Do you recommend highlighting this aspect in my essays?

i cannot comment on profiles as this is not a forum for profile evaluations. as far gmat is concerned, my answer is this - if you think this is your best score and you cannot improve it, just don't think about it and go ahead and concentrate on other areas of your applications. For reccos, i would recommend at-least one should be from your current job. you can highlight about your long term goals in essay 3, if you think it is worthwhile and will add significant value to your application.
Hello Sir,
As mentioned at ISB's site, the people who have submitted application till 15th July will have interviews at Hyderabad on 6th and 7th August if shortlisted. My question is, outstation (e.g. from Mumbai)candidates will be called to Hyderabad for the interviews if selected? Is it correct?

Thanks,

yes. thats correct.
Hi
I am currently a junior at the Indiana University Kelley School of Business. I came across the ISB Young Leaders Program which I found to be pretty interesting. And I have a few specific questions pertaining to the program. So could you please direct me to a person with whom I can communicate my queries?

Thanks
Dibbasatya Ghosh

write to dipali_gupta@isb.edu or drop us a mail at pgpadmissions@isb.edu

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

331 people follow this discussion.