[2011-2013] IIML Essay/GD/PI Experiences

All the best to everyone for their IIML interviews and please do post in your experiences. It would be good if we can use an earlier format. For the benefit of everyone concerned, please keep the format like this: PROFILE: Acads ...
Follow this discussion to get notified of latest updates.
Page 2 of 6   

Any Update puys,the discussion group has been closed but cud not stop the anxiety of knowing the latest on results.

• 4 Likes  
Hello Friends,

I need some clarification regarding the weight-age given to CAT scores and other 10/12/grad scores in shortlisting and final selection.

IIM-L says it will give 37.5 percent weightage to CAT scores. Now how is this 37.5 calculated?

Is it by making the absolute score of the 100 percentiler = 37.5 and accordingly marking the rest proportionally. or is it just by dividing your absolute score by 450 and converting it for 37.5.

Same for 10th and 12th scores.

Please enlighten.

Well it is the absolute score(out of 450) and not the percentiles. Shouldn't make much of a difference anyway.
LIVE CHAT with ex- Convenor and Dean MISB Bocconi

Ask all about Post-CAT results in a LIVE CHAT on 

26th December 2014 at 8.30pm with  Dr. Himanshu Rai, CAT 2010 Convenor and Dean MISB Bocconi.‚Äč

Participate Now

-Full time post graduate program in business

-Faculty from SDA Bocconi, Italy 

-Dual Campus Mumbai and Milan

-2014 Avg. CTC 10 Lakh p.a

- Merit Based Tuition Fee Waiver 

Download Placement Stats

Hello Friends,

I need some clarification regarding the weight-age given to CAT scores and other 10/12/grad scores in shortlisting and final selection.

IIM-L says it will give 37.5 percent weightage to CAT scores. Now how is this 37.5 calculated?

Is it by making the absolute score of the 100 percentiler = 37.5 and accordingly marking the rest proportionally. or is it just by dividing your absolute score by 450 and converting it for 37.5.

Same for 10th and 12th scores.

Please enlighten.

@CATghanti.. GD topic is generally NOT from the news headlines of the current day..
GD topic can be any abstract/specific topic.. which may or may not make the headlines on that particular day..

however one need's to know the current issues , both politically n social ones, so that we can make good references in the GD..

Please Bear with me as I am habituated to writing longish experience hopefully will help a few having interview at Kolkata
Date: 24-03-11
Venue: Indismart Hotel, Salt Lake, Kolkata
Learnings: Make a point to brush through the newspaper the GD topic is generally from the news which make headlines on that day. And as per me form an opinion on everything. I guess Himanshu Rai has made it a point that ethics is in the interview as he had declared after the CAT results fiasco
VERDICT: God Knows L

Plzz give feedback..I think the thread has been dead as far as writing experience is concerned lekin feedback to de hi sakte ho yaar :)
  • 1 Like  

X %-84.6,2002
XII%-89,2004
Undergrad Stream-B-Tech. Civil,7.65
Year, Institute-2009,IIT Roorkee

Work-Ex:20 months
TATA Motors Nano project

CAT (2010):
DI-98.39
Quant-98.81
Verbal-99.38
Aggregate-99.86

Extra acads : Winner of North zone civil engg quiz and 2nd in nationals.

Any other special thing about you: event organization, football, dancing in college....

Interview & Essay

Venue: IIM L
Date : 28-03-2011

Essay : Arab revolution is definitely having an impact on India
Number of Ppl present-8 (2 flunked)
Time:14(essay)+15(gd)...thats what they said
Brief Snapshot of the attempt: cdnt have been easier...finished 1 min before time...filled it all
GD- u know u have nailed it when everybody talks to u
Rate your preparation(0-5):4
Rate your performance(0-5):4

PI:
Panel Members Intro:P1-mid 40's techie...P2-early 30's quiz master and a chain smoker
Questions:
P2 comes out to smoke and asks me to go inside...
Me to P1-good morning sir...
P1-good morning...can i have ur file
Me- hands over my file...P1 goes through it...
P2 enter...goes through my form...b-tech from iitr...good...tata motors nano...good...so tell me how from civil to automobile
Me-purane fatte
P2-why mba...
Me-aur fatte
P1 takes over-u r from lucknow right...tell me some famous structures in lko
me-told
P1-structural aspect...
Me-told...
P1-mughal architecture...
Me-discussion on arched structure...
P1-max shear force where on arch and longitudinal beam???
Me-told...
P1-examples of mughal bridges...
Me-dunno
P1-examples of arched construction
me-told
P1-how r roads made(i seriously dunno why these ppl love roads...in every iim interview i have been asked abt roads)
me-told...
P1-differnce between rigid and bituminous roads...
Me-told
P1-cost of construction of rigid and bituminous roads...
me-told...
P1-example of rigid roads...
me-mumbai-pune expressway...
P2 enters-cost of construction of mumbai-pune expressway....
Me-approximating the length of road for calculation
P2 asks...where is bodh gaya...
Me-Bihar...
till here it was memorable...the next part was forgettable
P2-what is body gaya famous for...
me-Sir...gautam buddha gave his 1st sermon in body gaya
P2-i thot he gave his 1st sermon in sarnath
me-yes sir...sorry...he was born in bodh gaya...
P2-thats news to me...i keep quiet
P2-what is the price of crude oil barrel
me-110 dollars...
P2-lts of crude oil in barrel
me-confused...answers 100 gallons..
P2-i asked u lts...
me-thinking the conversion rate...blurt out 230
P1-what types of taxes in petrol
Me-7.5% custom duty...14.36/lt excise...
P1-customs in % and excise in rs...
Me-sir...i do not remember the exact %age in excise...
P1-k
Me- and different taxes in diff states
P1-k...types of state taxes..
Me-sales tax...ummmm....vat...ummmm....octroi taxes
P2-how much money shd india save...
Me-sir...it depends from person to person...a young guy like me wd try to save less and invest more...an old person wd like to save more for...
P2 interrupts- i asked u abt india...and u r telling me abt individuals...
Me-sir...the amt saved shd be sufficient to import necessary goods at the time of financial crisis and emergency...went into forex and balance of payments...
P1-k...what is the savings rate of india...
Me- sir i wd like to take a guess
P2-no...never take a guess...k...what management subjects u studies in economics...
Me-sir...economics..
P2-who taught u that
Me- sir i cant remember it rt now
P2-tells me name of 2-3 profs...1 of them was the one who taught me
Me- yes sir it was him
P2-k...tell me what is technical rate of substitution
Me- confused...tells him abt marginal rate of substitution
P2(smart guy)- isnt it called marginal rate of substitution...
Me-(sab jaanta hai yeh to)-yes sir it is called marginal rate...i dunno abt technical...i never studied it
P2-i told u never to take a guess...k...last ques...who is the mayor of lko...
Me-dinesh sharma...
P1 and P2-k ...we r done...thanku shrish...
Me-thanku sir...

Rate your preparation(0-5):3.5
Rate your performance(0-5): 2.5 (quiz master was relentless)
MISC.
Any other relevant detail.-IIML interview has max nos of gk ques...prepare it well
VERDICT-AWAITED

• 5 Likes  

PROFILE:

Acads
X %,Board, year 90.33% ICSE 2001
XII%, Board, year 84.22%, Orissa board, 2003
Undergrad Stream (BA, BE etc), Specialization (CS, mech etc), Percentage, Year, Institute. B.Tech NIT ROURKELA, 8.55/10 CGPA, 2008

Work-Ex:
Sectors, Company - Number of months

Industrial, NTPC Limited, 30

CAT (2010):
DI 98.26
Quant 96.7
Verbal 97.26
Aggregate 99.34
(category if applicable) General

Extra acads : cricket,quizzing,debating,organizing events all at engineering & school, college level...

Any other special thing about you: 2nd in branch in engg. , 5th in school...

Interview & Essay

Venue: Indismart Hotel Kolkata
Date : 26.03.2011

Essay : Mobile phones are destroying social life...

Topic:
Number of Ppl present 8
Time: 15(essay) + 15(GD)
Brief Snapshot of the attempt: I think i wrote pretty well here....told about the advent of mobile phones,how it revolutioonised communication, then told about social effects, driving accidents, mms clips, loud noise in hospitals, etc..decent attempt...

GD also went well.....chipped in 4-5 times...and managed to hold the attention of the group...
Time given :
Rate your preparation(0-5): 2
Rate your performance(0-5): 4.5

PI:
Panel Members Intro: Bald headed professor(P1), thin prof.(P2)
Questions:

me : Good afternoon sirs...
P2 : Good afternoon sit down...hand me ur file...

P2 : so u are from bbsr...
P2 : tell me some places to go in bbsr...
me : answered:thumbsup:
P2 : u have work ex. of 30 months....so wat do u do in NTPC?
me : told them how am working in a coal mining project...working in the clearance portions...n land acquisition...what i have done...my contribution...

p1 : asked abt my perspective on Jairam Ramesh stand on environment protection and pwer ministry opposing it...
me ; i told that for a developing country which is increasingly dependent on power and energy....Coal is a major source...we have to implement the rules very strictly....we have to mine coal...but at the same time...should go for afforestation n plantation to restore envt. & destruction of flora and fauna....have ato strike a balance between the two...:cheerio:

Both were reasonably satisfied i guess

P2 : how will ur experience help u after MBA?
me : answered well....want to take operations mgmt. i have idea on the supply chain side....seen it in mines...what problems are faced n how they are resolved....i can leverage this experience if i work in the operations side of a company afgter management....then value addition n broadening my vision...higher responsibilities...n all..

P1 : what do u do in ur free time?
me : cricket, sudoku, current affairs, cultural secretary of my welfare club...,quizzing..

they asked me a couple of questions on cricket...and sudoku..which i believed i answered decently..

then i was asked to leave...

12 min i guess...

Interview was chilled....no stress...i have heard HELL prefers people with work ex....so really expecting to convert this one...GD/PI have gone well...fingers crossed for the moment...

VERDICT : CONVERT ( am so happy that finally God answered my prayers )

now I am off to HELL ....The Gates of Hell have opened for me...!!!

Rate your preparation(0-5):4
Rate your performance(0-5): 4

• 9 Likes  
Ohh then both panels had same gd topic ... strange

i was in panel 4.

every panel has same GD topic on a given day
  • 2 Likes  
CATghanti Says
Buddy as far far as i remember i was the third.....:P......were u the one who had a helmet?? btw i was in panel 3

Ohh then both panels had same gd topic ... strange

i was in panel 4.
smiyc Says
Friend, you were in my group. I was the one who went in 3rd in the PI (Soumya Chakraborty). Which one were you?

Buddy as far far as i remember i was the third.....:P......were u the one who had a helmet?? btw i was in panel 3
Please Bear with me as I am habituated to writing longish experience hopefully will help a few having interview at Kolkata
Essay (15 Minutes) & GD (10 Minutes)
Topic: Sting Operation in media is the most effective way of disciplining politics. (Something on similar lines dont remember the exact topic)

Friend, you were in my group. I was the one who went in 3rd in the PI (Soumya Chakraborty). Which one were you?

Topic: Sting Operation in media improves the effectiveness of disciplining politics. (Something like this)

Number of Ppl present - 7

Essay: Initially I did not have lot of points on this topic. So concentrated on the structure of the essay. I think in the end I wrote it pretty well.

GD: For 5 seconds no one started . I then started (for the first time in my life in a GD) off with one of the stakeholders, viz. media. By the end, had spoken quite a few times in the discussion. Overall, it was a healthy discussion (although, nobody had major points :P). Chipped in the conclusion as well.

PI: I went in 3rd, so wasn't a long wait. The panelists comprised of a Sir and Ma'am. Sir was more interested in grilling. He was going for the same few times. Ma'am was always smiling and asked few questions (the one rarely one would expect). Sir was asking the majority of the questions.

The PI was decent, ranging from Work Experience (responsibilities, domain, etc.) to "about my Dad" (what does he do, what do i learn from him, etc.). It was a 20-25 minutes interview. They asked me about my extra-currics (how I had applied my engineering studies in few of them), my hobbies, whether I have started studying about any management subjects.

*Fingers Crossed*. Done with NITIE, IIM A and IIM L interviews (the ones which I am aiming for). Left with IIM RRT (today) and IMT(tomorrow).

• 4 Likes  

Hey I think, ur interview ws quiet gud. I dont know whether ur ans were rite or not, but overall it looks gud. Also result depends on the way we answer them, but for the time being it sounds as ur interview went quiet gud.

Management Development Institute, Gurgaon 2011-13 batch
Topic: Sting Operation in media is the most effective way of disciplining politics. (Something on similar lines dont remember the exact topic)
Number of Ppl present 7/8
I wrote a decent enough essay with introduction and a conclusion.
GD was moderately ok everyone spoke with few chipping with lots of points. I made 2 3 entries.
PI:
Panel Members: 2 Profs.
P1 An older prof. who asked questions which I never expected
P2 Looked Serious and fired technical Question
P1 came out and called me in.
I wished both of them Good Morning and was asked to be seated.
P2 So XXX you are a chemical engineer and working with YYY for 16 months
Me Yes Sir
P2 Tell me about your work
Me said the Rata rattaya stuff
P2 So why are you leaving the job. You get a good salary and its a good company too.
Me Again narrated the why MBA stuff
P2 So what are the stuffs related to chemical engineer in your area of work
Me had prepared for the same said it
Now comes the technical part
P2 so what is fluidized bed?
Me Said (had brushed up the basic)
P2 What is Stokes law?
Me any spherical body falling freely under gravity in a liquid..
P2 It can be gas too na??
Me Yes sir, I am sorry for the mistake.. Any spherical body falling freely under gravity in a fluid attains a terminal velocity which is given by stokes law
P2 so how is it useful
Me (Fumbled a bit here) Said that on the basis of stokes law results for different shapes can be found by multiplying a factor and mentioned that we can then find the kind of flow around the body (said the word streamline somewhere in between) (pata nahi sahi bola kya kuch bhi guess maara but he neither said it was wrong nor did he say it to be correct L )
P2 what is streamline?
Me explained with the example of a drop of link inside a transparent tube that no 2 lines will merge and flow in its own path and yet again mentioned Reynolds number somewhere in between and said that for laminar flow inside tube Re
P2 so that you mention Reynolds number what is nusselt number
Me sir its the ratio of convective thermal transfer coefficient to conductive thermal transfer coefficient Told the formula Nu = hD/k
P2 so what is meant by a small nusselt number?
Me sir that conductive heat transfer is more dominating that convective heat transfer
P2 do you require a medium for convection and conduction?
Me yes sir both requires a medium
P2 what about radiation?
Me It doesnt require medium and quoted the example of sun rays reaching the earth
P2 then how does it travel
Me Through electromagnetic waves
Then P2 signalled to P1 that he was done asked him to take over. I was phewwwwwwww chalo acads done with. Pata nahi how I performed because he never said whether I was entirely correct or entirely wrong and fumbled a bit here and there.
P1 So you said you wanna become an entrepreneur. Do you know Warren Buffet? Who is he?
Me (after trying hard to remember said) Sir he is the chairman of Berkshire Hathaway
P1 what is he known for?
Me (had no idea what exactly he is or what he does therefore didnt take much of a chance at guessing he was in the newspaper but wasnt able to read about him because I concentrated mostly on the front page L )
Me I dont know much about him but I find his name associated with Wal Mart (what a stupid answer L )
P1 - You are wrong he has only about 1.2% of the Wal Mart shares
P1 You said you wanted to be an entrepreneur. So you must need an inspiration.
Me (kyaaaa!!! yeh to maine socha hi nahi ....kisi ke bare mein padha bhi nahi jayda...... jo fundae dun koi bachao mere ko yahaan se)
P1 what do you think of kingfisher?
Me Sir as in Vijay Mallaya or kingfisher?
P1 Vijay Mallaya do you want to be like him
Me sir on the business front certainly yes but on a personal front I dont want to be him
P1 Why on the business front
Me Said about UB group and the revolution in Wine and Beer industry and Force One and then said that i dont look for person as such for an inspiration but rather i look at the ideas which have used for a successful business process and then said the story of MOCHA owner (Mumbai ka ek coffee/beer famous for Choc AVALANCHE :P) which i had read while i was in mumbai and said its the ability to look into the bigger picture of smaller things which takes a business off to great heights
P1 What is the growth rate of India?
Me Said
P1 What was it in 2000?
Me (didnt knew but had read somewhere what it was around 5) Sir it was around 5 but not sure though but certainly lower than what currently is
P1 What do you think has been the reason for such a growth rate
This is the part I messed up must have given a perfect answer for that but unfortunately I went blank
Me Sir I think its mostly because of the presence of a stable government for the last two terms. In the early 2000s the government changed hands very frequently and when the government is stable the policies they frame has a larger probability of being implemented (then suddenly remembered about the answer I had prepared and narrated it with facts he looked convinced in the end but when I started it he was like what the hell is he saying man kiddish answer)
P1 what do think about the growth of Jharkhand
Me (wanted to make my previous point on stable government look good) Again I would say the main problem is the lack of stable government due to which government policies are not being implemented and Naxal illiteracy, unemployment and explained a few
P1 How Illiteracy effects growth
Me Sir with an educated person the chances of success is high as he is aware of the risks involved and might predict the solution to those risks with a higher probability of success
P1 If you are made the chief officer of Jharkhand (the highest IAS level in the state he explained that to me) what would you do?
Me Sir I would look to it that the central and state money allotted for the welfare of the state is utilized properly and dont end up in scams like madhu koda mining scam and keep a watch on the officials involved
P1 But how can that help
Me With a watch dog over any authority he will be more dedicated towards sincere work for the fear of being penalized
P1 But you might get suspended for that or you might get transferred to an altogether different place
Me It wouldnt bother me sir as I would have done my part responsibly and it will give me satisfaction of being right and thats what is important
P1 I expected you to say that you will inspire the others in your ranks to follow the correct path
Me Sir by doing so I will certainly inspire many a officer because sir action always speaks louder than words
Then they that would be all and said thank you and for the third time in a row the panel did not offer me candies L
I thanked them back and went out.
Pata nahi kaisa hua bahut saare answers aur bahut ache se de sakta tha but I suppose the back to back interviews made me complacent and I did not revise my answers L

VERDICT: Converted
  • 12 Likes  
Interview & Essay

Venue: Hotel Sea Princess, Juhu, Mumbai

Date : 23-02-11

Essay :
Topic:Beauty Pageants objectify women.

Number of Ppl present - 9 out of 10
Time: 13.5 min
GD :
Brief Snapshot of the attempt: Spoke about hw beauty pageants also include talent rounds etc, how winners hav proved that they r not jst beautiful bla bla bla, hw v can change the image of beauty pageants..Dnt rem much except these. Entered 4-5 times with the last point carried forward by the others.
Time given : 15 min
Rate your preparation(0-5): 2
Rate your performance(0-5): 3.5

PI:
Panel Members Intro: Cheerful proff(CP) Serious Proff(SP)

Versus: Your highness
Questions:
Took permission and entered the room, wished both good morning and took my seat.

CP: So (name), temme what are your achievements so far in life and what have u learnt from them?
SP: Gimme your folder. *goes thru the certis*
Me: *without even thinking once* Sir I feel my biggest achievements are all my extracurricular activities all throughout my career and the skills that I have because of these activities are my biggest learning.
CP: explain
Me: Told
CP: Hmm...sounded convinced
CP: A country like India cannot be a superpower on the basis on IT sector alone.
Me: *puzzled look* Was tht a question?
CP: Do u agree or disagree?
Me: I agree sir, and spoke smin.
CP: Is that the only reason?
Me: Spoke sm other points too.
CP: Nodding his head
SP: *Cuming to my rescue* Hmm..Thts correct.
CP: So, tell me hw is Science different from Engineering
Me: * Got confused* n spoke abt difference between Pure Science and Applied Science
CP: No, thts not the answer I am looking for.
Me: Told engg is the application of science in real world.
CP: *Smiling* Yes, thats correct
Me: Relieved, bach gaye beta!:w00t:
Some more questions on ur current job profile, y mba etc.
SP:*All this while going thru my certi folder, chances upon my Photo frm my dance Performance*Dint have a certi so jst for proof sakes, had kept the pic in the last pocket*
SP: *calls CP and shows the pic*
SP: So, What are ur hobbies, I mean what all u like doing?
Me: *finally smin tht I kno abt* Sir I like Dancing and Cooking. I am trained frm XYZ institute of dancing and have completed 3 levels. Spoke smin abt cooking.
SP: What dance form did u specialize in? hw is ur institute diff frm others?
Me: Sir, I have learnt jazz and spoke abt hw its more of a customized version..bla bla bla
SP: What are the classical dance forms of India?
Me: Told.
SP: So where is xyz dance form from?
Me: told
More such questions followed. Got confused between Kuchipudi and MohiniAttam.
SP to CP: Do u want to ask any more qts?
CP: No, thts all.
SP: thanku, U may leave now.
All the while CP was smiling and seemed encouraging, SP wasn't as cheerful bt wasn't bad either.
I put up a brave front, considering it was the first ever MBA interview of my life.
It felt great then, but now m not sure what will be the result.*Hoping for the best*

Rate your preparation(0-5): 3.5
Rate your performance(0-5): No Clues

VERDICT
Converted
  • 9 Likes  

Can others please come forward and post their experiences? This thread is unusually dead!

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

64 people follow this discussion.