SHOW
MORE DISCUSSIONS ABOUT IIM L, Lucknow

[2011-2013] IIML Essay/GD/PI Experiences

All the best to everyone for their IIML interviews and please do post in your experiences. It would be good if we can use an earlier format. For the benefit of everyone concerned, please keep the format like this: PROFILE: Acads ... Read More »
PROFILE:

Acads
X 75% (CBSE)
XII 75% (CBSE)
B.E. (IT) from SGSITS Indore 63%
Work Ex - 68 months in IT
Extra Curriculars - Played cricket @ state level, School/College/Company Chess Team member

CAT (2010):
DI: 97.4
Quant: 83
Verbal: 99.7
Aggregate: 99.10 (NC-OBC)

Interview & Essay

Venue: Bangalore
Date: 3rd march, 2011

Essay :
Topic:Traditions are means to create inequality in society
Number of Ppl present: 9 students 2 professors
Time: 10 mins essay 12 mins GD
Brief Snapshot of the attempt:Essay was ok I believe. GD- I chipped in about 3-4 times with different points, group started discussing on those lines. In my view, speak less but to the point, just don't get carried away by other people.
Rate your preparation(0-5): 2
Rate your performance(0-5): 3.5

PI:

Questions:

P1 began by asking me to describe myself. P2 meanwhile asked me to handover my certificates file.
Me: The common stuff, job..hobbies..family..
P1: Tell me your role and job responsibility
Me:Told in detail about what I do and how important my work is.
P1: Favourite subject in engineering.
Me: S/w engineering(as it is the only thing I know something about)
P1: What is Agile Methodology?
Me: Explained.
P1: From where you are basically?
Me: MP(P1 said your accent has changed to South Indian and started laughing).

Then P2 takes over.
P2: What do you think about tradition? How is it different from Religion?
Me: (Unexpected question may be from essay i wrote) told few things and differentiated.
P2: Your 2 weaknesses?
Me: I am Shy(P1 said we never felt that during the GD as you were speaking well, I told may be I am working frm last 6 years so I improved but still it's a weakness for me), I let the opportunities go easily sometimes(P2 asked how, i gave an example frm the GD whr I let my chances to apeak go to othr peopele coz I ddnt wnt to create the fish market)
P2: ok do you have any questions? we are giving you a chance to work one of your weaknesses(Big Smile).
Me: I don't have any question but I am sure I will get many chances to imrpove my weaknesses once I am in the insti.
P1 and P2 both: Definitely, all the best for your other interviews.
Me: Thanks very much for your time.

Overall I felt that I had ok type interview as there were some questions that I should've really answered better. But I believe the body language and the way of answering are more looked for than actual answer
VERDICT: Converted
  • 1 Like  
PROFILE:

Acads
X 90.1% (ICSE)
XII 67% (Bihar Board)
B.Tech Industrial Engg from IIT Roorkee
Work Ex - 44 months in IBM
Extra Curriculars - Nothing remarkable

CAT (2010):
DI: 97.4
Quant: 93.38
Verbal: 98.4
Aggregate: 99.19 (Gen category)

Interview & Essay

Venue: Kolkata
Date: 24th march, 2011

Essay :
Topic:Sting Operations in journalism helps in making politicians more disciplined (or something like this)
Number of Ppl present: 10 students 2 professors
Time: 9 mins essay 15 mins GD
Brief Snapshot of the attempt:I was a prominent speaker in the group and tried to introduce new points a couple of times. Still feel that the discussion could have been better.
Rate your preparation(0-5): 4

PI:

Questions:

P1 began by asking me to describe myself. P2 meanwhile asked me to handover my certificates file.
Me: Tried to keep intro brief and focused on my hobby which is reading books and blogs.
P1: Tell me 3 business news from last month
Me:Since I had mentioned that I like reading about economics he perhaps misconstrued it to business but still I felt that I could answer that. But to my horror I couldn't find even one example. I tried telling him about budget or inflation but he said that he wanted only business news. Finally managed to give only one obscure example. Needless to say he was unimpressed.
P1: Asked me the full form of CMMI.
Me: Answered
P1: What is the significance of maturity in CMMI.
Me: Though I knew the answer I was not very coherent. He told me that I was not very clear and I had to repeat myself.
P1: What is the difference between reliability and quality of a software
Me: Gave a good answer to this question. Used MS Word as an example.

Then P2 takes over.
P2: You mentioned that you read books. Name some books which you have read recently.
Me: Mentioned Shantaram and few others
P2: What is the story of Shantaram and what did you like about it
Me: Answered well enough
P2: What is the policy lesson that Indian policymakers can learn from it
Me: This was a very good question and I tried to tell him about how opening of our economy has stopped smuggling as it was a prominent part of the novel.
P2 however was not satisfied with this as he wanted to know what policy action can be taken in future and not what has been done in the past.
Me: Initially I did not understand what he was looking for but finally managed to. Told him about how condition of our prisons is bad and that has been portrayed in the book.
It was again an obscure answer as slums would have been a better answer here but P2 finally seemed satisfied
P2: Asked me whether I have read White Tiger and what I liked about it
Me: Told
P2: Is society or the main character the chief protagonist in White Tiger
Me: I mentioned the person and not society. Following this we had a brief argument. In retrospect I feel that I was a bit more aggresive than I should have been here as I had cut him short before he could complete his statement.
P2: Asked me about Booker Prize and Pullitzer prize
Me: Answered
P2: Name some Gnanpith award winners
Me: Answered Mahashweta Devi but mentioned Vikram Seth who had won Sahitya Academy Award (just to show that my GK is not so bad :cheerio:)
P2: Name the winner of Nobel prize in literature
Me: I did not know the name but told him that I am confused between a Portugese poet and a latin American writer.
P2: He is latin American
Me: I took the cue to tell him that though I don't know his name, I know that he is from Colombia and is a friend of Gabriel Garcia Marquez.
P2: In which language do latin American writers write
me: Spanish
P2: Describe to me any work of Gabriel Garcia Marquez.
me: Told about One Hundred years of solitude but couldn't describe his work well. Ended up talking about his work as scientific realism and not magical realism

After a brief pause P1 interrupts and tells me that my academic record and work ex show that I have just done what everybody does. Before I could answer P2 also says that my interest seem to be in arts and that I shouldn't have done engineering in first place. I gave them a diplomatic answer and I also tried to tell them why I wanted to do MBA but was cut short.
P1: Which other calls do you have
Me: Only IIM L
P1: Why
Me: Told him about my low score in class 12th
P2: Do you regret doing your 12th from Bihar Board
Me: Again a diplomatic answer
P1: You can go now
Me: Thanks

Overall I felt that I had screwed my interview as there were some questions that I should've really answered better. Besides I also felt that many of my answers were hurried and my poise wasn't so good a couple of times.

VERDICT: Converted
  • 1 Like  
School of Inspired Leadership - Admissions Open!

SOIL has been co-created by a consortium of 32 leading companies. Admissions Open for the 7th Batch!

500 + Alumni working in top positions across industry.

Average Package : 9.0 Lacs, Highest Package : 18.0 Lacs

Apply Now!

Know more about 1 year leadership program at SOIL.

Download Now
10th:82,12th:80.6,B.Tech.77.2(DA-IICT),CAT-99.98%ile(Gen)
Maybe it'll help somebody from Analytics profile next year :)

GD topic: Positive discrimination is like paying for the past.

Had an awesome GD. Came up with lot of good points. Easily the best performer of my group.

My points- I was the only person in group who bought points other than caste based reservation.
1) women's reservation.
2) Farm loan waiver
3) People who migrated from Pakistan at time of division got reservation in licenses of petrol pumps, kerosene shops etc.
4) We should see it as investing in future rather than paying for past. It's an aim to give equal opportunities to all, which is a fundamental right.
5) A positive can not exist without negative. If some sections of society are positively discriminated then that means other sections are being negatively discriminated. So it should be seen as measure to make people self sufficient rather than making them dependent.

P1: So Abhishek. How are you?
Me: Am good.

P1: So you're into analytics? What does beta in linear regression equation tells you?
Me: Sir it tells us the impact of that individual variable.

P1: Write and explain.
Me: Wrote down regression equation.
Y= a + b1 X1 + b2 X2+..+bN Xn + e (read b as beta)
So now b1 will tell me impact of variable X1 ie how will my dependent vary if I only vary X1 keeping all other variables constant.

P1: But then that never happens. In real world, you can't keep all the other variables constant. Can you?
Me: No Sir.

P1: So that means this is just a theoretical concept and has no practical application.
Me: (Confused. Ye khan se aa gaya. Kya bol rahe hain. Samajh nahin aa rha :banghead:). Sir I'm just showing a part of real world problem. In real world all N variables will be changing and maybe you can relate it to solving an equation with N variables

(BTW I just knew regression equation from my work. I don't know the theoreticial concepts behind regression and just said whatever felt like.)

P1: So that means it's just a theoretical concept?

(Lets it go)

P1: But why do you need regression? Even correlation can tell you relationship between two variables. What's the difference?
Me: Sir, correlation simply tells me how they are related, not the causality.(Don't know why I said causality without even knowing exact meaning of the term :oops:).

P1: What do you mean?
Me: Sir , in regression you have the dependent variable and it tells you how it is being affected by independent variable. It gives the relationship that if I change X, my Y will change like this. But in correlation, I just get to know these two are related. If one is causing other, or other is causing one or some third variable is causing both of them, we don't know.

P1: (I had not articulated the above point well. But he got my point.He was satisfied and moved on) So how many types of correlation you know?
Me: Sir I use Pearson's correlation, which is by default. It tells the linear relationship between two variables. Don't know of others.

P1: Spearman's correlation?

P1: Who was Pearson's?
Me: Don't know. Maybe a scientist.

P1: You play Hawaiian guitar. Why is it called Hawaiian?
Me: (Saying slowly)Maybe it was originated in Hawaii. Don't know.

P1: Which other guitar is there?
Me: Spanish

P1: What's the difference.?
Me: Told something. Gave an average answer.

Now P2 stared grilling me.

P2: Why are your marks low in second year?
Me: Sir I won't give an excuse. I didn't study and hence my marks are low. I got distracted. :lookround:

P2: Why?
Me: Sir I was a very studious person till 12th. In 1st year I was in top 10 of my batch. I thought I have always studied and should have some fun. I did a mistake.

P2: What is optical fiber? Why is it used
Me: I only know it is used as loss in optical fiber is very low and it uses the concept of total internal reflection. Other than that I don't remember Sir.

P2: What are your reading habits?
Me: Sir I don't read often.

P2: Still you would have read something?
Me: Sir last book I had read was Fortune at the bottom of pyramid.

P2: What is the point of C.K. Prahlad in that.
Me: Told.

P2: So this tells how will companies benefit by targeting to poor people. Tell me how it'll help removing poverty?
Me: (Had forgotten what I read. I had read it long time back Thought hard for 2 mins). Sir, I'm thinking on the lines that since companies are selling good to poor people, some how poor people will benefit in a way that they come out of povert.

P2: How?
Me: told them that I Don't remember. Then Gave some fundae.

P2: (got frustrated) How is this going to happen? What are you saying? You say you're from Kanpur. You think anything has changed. When you had been the last time?(I was unable to understand what he wanted to say and what point of mine he did not like.)

Sir 2.5 years back.

P2: (getting angry. Don't know why) So your parents don't live in Kanpur. Do they?
Me: Sir they do. My schooling has been from kanpur too. It's just that I was involved in opening of coaching center and it was a big responsibility. Further on holidays and weekends I used to take classes while on weekdays I used to meet faculty, conduct seminars , do marketing. So it was really heavy and did not got time to visit home for some time (Don't know if they took in positive sense that I'm really hardworking or in negative sense that I neglect my family because of work load)

P2: How will your experience of opening up a MBA center help in present job(didn't hear the question properly).
Me: Answered something. He was not convinced. Then again answered something. Still not convinced.

P2: In GD, you had said point about farmer's loan waiver? How was that relevant?
Me: Sir there are so many loans in market, home loans, car loan, education loan. Why only waive farmer's loan then? I feel it was a positive discrimination as that was really needed to make up for mistakes of past i.e. neglecting farmer's plight.

P2: So you think that was a good idea. Has it helped?
Me: I don't think so sir. There were news of increasing of farmer's suicide in that region.

P2: What? When did this happened due to farm loan waiver.
Me: (Damn! Said it wrong) No Sir. I mean due to other policies of government that involved compensating farmers families in case of suicide.

P2: So you think farm loan waiver was good?
Me:Sir, I think idea was good but the way it was implanted was not. Most of the farmers had borrowed from private money lenders and they did not get any help. Further there was also a cap on size of farm land owned.

P2: But then what can government do if people borrow from private money lenders? They can only waive off loan taken from banks. That they did.

Me: Sir but I feel that they could've still implemented it in a better way.

(Turn of P1)
P1: What is sarvodaya movement? Your address says you live in Sarvodaya Nagar.:banghead:
Me: Don't know.

P1: Who started it?
Me: Don't remember.

P1: Mahatma Gandhi, Subhash Chandra Bose?
Me: No.

P1: Vinoba Bhave.
Me: Yes sir I think so.

P1: Are you sure?
Me: No sir.

P1: You don't seem like a very inquisitive person. You are not aware of your surroundings.
Me:

P1: What are your weakness?
Me: I tend to get emotional in my job.

P1: So what's bad in that? It's good to be emotional about your job.
Me: No sir. For example, one of my visiting faculty was not performing good and I had to ask her to leave. But I was unable to take that step which led to lot of losses. I can't be the good guy everytime. At times you need to be the bad guy too when you're managing a team or company.

P1: Any other weakness?
Me: (Thinking for 2 mins) I can't think of any other sir right now.

P1: Come on. Only one weakness?
Me: (Thinking again for 2 mins) Sir maybe I'm less inquisitive about my surrounding as you pointed earlier.

P1 starts laughing. Asks me about other calls. Goodbyes.

P1 was impressed with me. P2 was disappointed as I felt he had lots of expectations from me after my GD performance and I messed it up. Let's see to what extent I messed it up.

Verdict-Convert
  • 24 Likes  
You'll never walk alone
Here goes my interview:

PROFILE:

P1: So, Joshi could you tell me the no of people in a local train.
I thought and uttered 10000.(blunder)

P1: Isnt that too much? How many rakes were there in your local
Sir ,yes I think I might have exaggerated a bit. It should be around 3000.

Hah!!! Even I was asked the number of people that travel in a local train. Gave an answer way off the mark though!!
  • 1 Like  
think i'm screwed up....... ds the site also show the waiting list...... as the verdict came as....... sorry, ur name ds nt appear in the list.
PROFILE:

Acads
X 84.4%
XII 65.2%
Undergrad Stream : B.E. Food Technology, 76.1%, University Institute of Chemical Engineering and Technology, Panjab University
Work-Ex: 5 mons- Aakash Educational Services Limited and 4 mons- Astra Agro Foods

CAT (2010):
DI: 99.82
Quant: 91.13
Verbal: 91.41
Aggregate: 98.92
Gen catagory

Any other special thing about you: First prize in Technical paper presentation, Distinction in National Science Olympiad in 8th standard

Interview & Essay

Venue: Lycknow
Date: 28th march, 2011

Essay :
Topic:Things going in Arab world will definately have an impact on India
Number of Ppl present: 10 students 2 professors
Time: 15 mins essay 15 mins GD
Brief Snapshot of the attempt: Discussed it from 3 viewpoints: social, political, economic
Rate your performance(0-5): 5

PI:

Questions:

P1:Tell me about urself
Me: My name is ... I am a 23 year old from chandigarh. I am currently working as food technologist in Astra agro foods. I have done my graduation in food technology from University institute of Chemical engineering and technology, Panjab university, Chandigarh. Apart from my studies, I like playing badminton and solving sudoku puzzles.
P1: Where r u working?
Me: Astra agro foods, chandigarh
P1: then y have u come to lucknow? Y not delhi?
Me: I wanted to see the campus.
P1: From which other institutes do u have calls?
Me: Sir A ABM
P1: Y do u want to do ABM?
Me: My mother owned a food processing unit and my grandmother still runs a small pickle business from her home. It was due to these 2 businesses that I developed an interest in food technology and finally did food technology engineering.
P1: so u r from chandigarh. Is it a UT or state? (smile)
Me: sir UT (smile)
P1: Do u have Chief minister for UT? (smile)
Me: no sir (smile)
P1: is delhi a UT? (smile)
Me: yes sir (smile)
P1: but it has a CM. Right? (laughing)
Me: yes sir (laughing)
P1: who is delhi's CM? (laughing)
Me: Sheila Dixit (laughing)
P1: How many states and UTs are in India?
Me: sir 28 states and 7 UTs.
P2: Who is vice president of India?
Me: Hamid ansari
P1: Tell us different types of soil as u have done food technology?
Me: sir we donot study types of soil in food technology.
P2: She is from food tech not agriculture. (laughing)
P1: tell me a vegetable present in leaves? (laughing)
Me: cabbage (smile)
P1: in stems (smile)
Me: lotus stem (smile)
P2: any other (smile)
Me: its not coming to my mind sir (smile)
P2: potatoes (smile)
Me: ok sir
P1: how can we increase the fertility? (laughing)
Me: by adding nutrients like fertilizers
P2: what is epiwarp, perwarp, codex? Heard of them?
Me: no sir just codex
P2: what is it? (laughing)
Me: sir it is an international body that sets food quality standards.
P2: suppose I want codex standards for almonds and raisins in India. Whom should I contact?
Me: sir ministry of health
P2: whom in ministry of health? (laughing)
Me: directorate general of health services.
P2: I think u shd go back and check ur knowledge. (laughing)
Me: sir I have read it.
P2: what is HACCP?
Me: hazard analysis and critical control points
P2: who is the authority for haccp in India?
Me: ministry of health
P2: ok. What is ISO?
Me: sir it stands for international standards organization
P2: then y is d name not IO? (laughing)
Me: sir S stands for standards and it is an organization that sets standards for various things.
P2: various standards are?
Me: 9000 is for quality management, 14000 for environment management
P2: specific standards for food companies? (laughing)
Me: sir I've seen ISO 9001:2000 mentioned on the food products.
P2: ok.
P1: what is the difference between ministers of state and cabinet ministers? (laughing)
Me: ministers of state r decided by the ruling party and cabinet involves the ministers of the ruling and opposition.
P1: really? Can a person from opposition sit in Manmohan singh govt.? Name one minister of opposition. (laughing)
Me: no sir, I am not very clear on this. Sushma swaraj is the leader of opposition.
P1: Y is Punjab called 'punjab'?
Me: sir because Punjab means land of 5 rivers
P1: and those are?
Me: sir chenab, jhelum, sutlej, beas and ravi. No not ravi. (smile)
P1: how many of them are still flowing thru Punjab?
Me: 3
P1: Who wrote Bhagvad Gita? (laughing)
Me: sir I don't know
P1: u know what Bhagvad Gita is? (laughing)
Me: sir it is an epic based on Lord Krishna.
P1: is it an epic or part of an epic? (laughing)
Me: sir part of an epic
P1: yes, it is a part of Mahabharta
P2: Who is the minister of food? (laughing)
Me: Subodh kant sahay
P2: his ministry is?
Me: ministry of food processing industries.
P2: when was it set up? (laughing)
Me: before independence
P2: it was set up by Rajiv Gandhi and there is a long story behind why did he set it. (laughing)
Me: ok sir
P1: Do u read newspaper?
Me: yes sir
P1: tell me 1 social, 1 political and 1 economic challenge that our country is facing today.
Me: sir social: recently jats were demanding a quota for themselves. That is y they protested so as to get recognition as other backward classes.
P1: ok, economic? (laughing)
Me: sir the fiscal deficit is increasing.
P1: what is fiscal deficit? (smile)
Me: sir it is the difference between expenditure and the revenue of the nation
P1: then what is budget deficit? (laughing)
Me: sir it is the difference between imports and exports.
P1: then what is trade deficit? (laughing)
Me: sir it was trade deficit the difference between imports and exports. (laughing)
P2: This is a trap question. Don't get trapped. (laughing)
Me: ok sir (smile)
P1: draw graph of y=1/x (laughing)
Me: drawn
P1: You may go now

Rate your performance(0-5): 5

VERDICT: CONVERTED
  • 2 Likes  
PROFILE:

Acads
Xth-77.5%
XIIth-91%
Undergrad Stream-B.Tech CGPA 7.78

Work-Ex:33months @ L&T;

CAT (2010):
DI-98.85
Quant-99.4
Verbal-89.01
Aggregate-99.23
(General)

Extra currics : I do commpeering for cultural events

Any other special thing about you:

Interview & Essay

Venue: Bangalore (Hotel Monarch Luxor)
Date : 02.03.2011

Essay : Positive discrimination is like, the present paying for the acts of past .

Topic: Same as Essay
Number of Ppl present- 9 / 9
Time:15 mins
Rate your preparation(0-5):3
Rate your performance(0-5):4.5

PI:
Panel Members Intro:P2:Prof. Abhishek Nirjar (Noida Campus)
P1:Prof. Madhumita Chakraborty

Note: I was the first person to be interviewed in my panel

Questions:

P1: So Vijay, why don't you introduce yourself?
Me:I was prepared for this question... So went on with the answer for a minute and a half.

P1: Vijay, how did you manage to get such a good score? How did you manage between work and CAT preparation?
Me: Explained abt how I managed to prepare....

P1: Do you watch movies?
Me: Not much...

P1: okie...But can you tell us something about this years Oscar winning movie?
Me: Said about The kings speech(Luckily the day bfore ma interview I was going through the review)

P2: Actually your profile is very different from the rest of the profiles here....
P1: Yes... you are an Electrical Engineer... Working in R&D; division of L&T...How; did you manage to get into L&T.;
M: Briefed abt my prep for L&T...;

P1:What was your greatest learning at L&T;?
Me: Told abt my learning experience(Though they sounded unconvinced)

P2:What is difference between an Administration & Management?
Me:Told.....Actually said something whatever came in my mind...

P2:Have you read books on Management?
Me:No... But I'm presently reading a book on TATA NANO.

P2:Good that you reminded me of NANO..... Whats ur take on NANO??? Is it gud or bad????
Me:I said there are different aspects in which any thing can be looked at...
So said from environmental aspect it will add lot more to pollution(coz more ppl can buy a car)
From safe transport point of view ppl can commute safely as compared to a two wheeler.
Here to justify my point I said the reason behind developing TATA NANO.

P2:How do see it as a commercial pdt??? Is it a hit among ppl???
Me: said to my knowledge...Justified with another example....

P1:What is the book abt NANO is all about????
Me:Gave a gist of the book...

P2:How do you draft a product specification?
Me:Gave a complete idea about designing a product.

P1:Is there anything else do you like to know from us????
Me:No...

Rate your preparation(0-5):4
Rate your performance(0-5):3

VERDICT:Converted
  • 2 Likes  
PROFILE:

Acads
Xth-77.5%
XIIth-91%
Undergrad Stream-B.Tech CGPA 7.78

Work-Ex:33months @ L&T;

CAT (2010):
DI-98.85
Quant-99.4
Verbal-89.01
Aggregate-99.23
(General)

Extra currics : I do commpeering for cultural events

Interview & Essay

Venue: Bangalore (Hotel Monarch Luxor)
Date : 02.03.2011

Essay : Positive discrimination is like, the present paying for the acts of past .

Topic: Same as Essay
Number of Ppl present- 9 / 9
Rate your performance(0-5):4.5

PI:
Panel Members Intro:P2:Prof. Abhishek Nirjar (Noida Campus)
P1:Prof. Madhumita Chakraborty

Note: I was the first person to be interviewed in my panel

Questions:

P1: So Vijay, why don't you introduce yourself?
Me:I was prepared for this question... So went on with the answer for a minute and a half.

P1: Vijay, how did you manage to get such a good score? How did you manage between work and CAT preparation?
Me: Explained abt how I managed to prepare....

P1: Do you watch movies?
Me: Not much...

P1: okie...But can you tell us something about this years Oscar winning movie?
Me: Said about The kings speech(Luckily the day bfore ma interview I was going through the review)

P2: Actually your profile is very different from the rest of the profiles here....
P1: Yes... you are an Electrical Engineer... Working in R&D; division of L&T...How; did you manage to get into L&T.;
M: Briefed abt my prep for L&T...;

P1:What was your greatest learning at L&T;?
Me: Told abt my learning experience(Though they sounded unconvinced)

P2:What is difference between an Administration & Management?
Me:Told.....Actually said something whatever came in my mind...

P2:Have you read books on Management?
Me:No... But I'm presently reading a book on TATA NANO.

P2:Good that you reminded me of NANO..... Whats ur take on NANO??? Is it gud or bad????
Me:I said there are different aspects in which any thing can be looked at...
So said from environmental aspect it will add lot more to pollution(coz more ppl can buy a car)
From safe transport point of view ppl can commute safely as compared to a two wheeler.
Here to justify my point I said the reason behind developing TATA NANO.

P2:How do see it as a commercial pdt??? Is it a hit among ppl???
Me: said to my knowledge...Justified with another example....

P1:What is the book abt NANO is all about????
Me:Gave a gist of the book...

P2:How do you draft a product specification?
Me:Gave a complete idea about designing a product.

P1:Is there anything else do you like to know from us????
Me:No...

Rate your preparation(0-5):4

• 3 Likes  
Here goes my interview:

PROFILE:

Acads
X 90.53,Maharashtra board, 2002
XII 85.00, Maharashtra board, 2004
Undergrad Stream M.B.B.S. Grant Medical College 66.74, 2010

Work-Ex:NA

I Have taken time off for CAT

CAT (2010):
DI 98.23
Quant 92.83
Verbal 98.21
Aggregate 99.23
General Category

Extra acads :

Interview & Essay

Venue: Sea princess hotel, Juhu, Mumbai
Date : 23.02.2011

Essay : Beautify pageants and objectify women

Very less time given for the essay writing part. No warning was given. Luckily i had almost concluded when the time was up.
Rate your performance(0-5):2.5

GD Topic: Same
Number of Ppl present 10/10

Brief Snapshot of the attempt:
There were 2 girls in our group, and they took the initiative and tried to dominate. Luckily they ran out of points. I chipped in 4-5 times with 3-4 relevant points which the group discussed. No fish market.
Time given :

PI:
Panel Members Intro: 2 profs( dunno their names) P1,P2

Questions:

P1: So Joshi, tell me something abt yourself.
M:Blah ...At the end of the answer I uttered cricket.

P1: What is reverse swing?
Explained though not very convincing.

P2 chips in.
P2: Why do you want to go in for an MBA?
Told. Looked uninterested.spoke for around a min or more.No reaction from the panelists whatsoever.

P1: So you had community medicine as your subject?
M:Yes

P1:tell me health probs of rural areas
Started with telling the health and disease related problems.
Somewhere in the middle uttered HIV-AIDS.

P1:What is the full form?
Told

P1: So you say it is a virus. What is the size of a virus ?
In nanometres sir. (Wasnt very sure of what to say)

P1: Nanometre is how many metres.
10^-9 sir.

P1:What is the difference between a virus and a bacteria?
Told, Cut in the middle.

P1: You have great marks in mathematics P2:Why didnt you go for engineering?
Told

P1:So,what are you doing presently?
Explained the reason for the gap.

P2:We have specialisation subjects after PGP-I. What do you intend to take up?
Diplomatic answer

P1:So, you came by a local train today?
Yes

P1: So, Joshi could you tell me the no of people in a local train.
I thought and uttered 10000.(blunder)

P1: Isnt that too much? How many rakes were there in your local
Sir ,yes I think I might have exaggerated a bit. It should be around 3000.

P1:haan, that is more like it. What is the length of broad gauge?
Sir, I think 3 m(blunder #2)

P1:Makes an odd face. Can you tell me the population of Mumbai?
Should be around 10 million

P1: What is the pop of Maharashtra then?
Sir , around 30 million(blunder # 3 )

P1: Are you sure? What is the population of India?
It is around 1.1 billion

P2: What is the population of Maharashtra then?
(After thinking)Sir ,around 10 crore

P1: What is special about Maharashtra?
Sir it is the second richest (blunder #4) state in India contributes to around 15 percent of the GDP.

P1:What is GDP
Sir, Gross Domestic product.

P1 cuts in between:No, the definition
Told

P1:history of Mumbai
Told but not in detail

P1:Tourist spots of Mumbai:
Told

P2:Rivers of Mumbai:
Told just one-mithi

P2:Source of mithi
Sir I do not remember the name of the lake

P2:Does it come from Mumbai or outside?
Sir, from a lake in Mumbai

P1:Could you tell the capital of maratha empire?
Pune.

P1: Extent of maratha kingdom
Told for about a min

P2:do you read newspapers
Yes,sir

P2:Which one?
TOI

P2:Favourite page?
Sir, first page and sports section.

P2: Do you read editorials?
Sometimes sir.

P2: What was the last editorial you read?
It was about the revolution in the Arab world.

P2:What was the crux?
Told

Ok,you may go now.Send the other candidate in.

Rate your performance(0-5): 3

P.S. Had made a resolution to post this only if I converted it. Thankfully I could execute it!
  • 17 Likes  
Dr Sushrut Joshi, Indian Institute of Management Lucknow, Class of 2013
tell me about yourself ..see yourself 10 years down the line?
bla bla

so want to join dad's business y mba then
no sir..bla bla

you have done course on marketing management ...what did you learn?
market,tagret market,segment,target segment

u have mentioned various terms..explain them
explained nicely through example of dhl courier as i am not very good with def

which all p's of marketing used here?
i have read about 4 p's product ,price,promotion,place

so this is the order?
donot know the order but these are the 4 p's (infi confidence se )

heard of 7 p's
i know the 5th p i.e. people

ok so u had a course in financial and accounts management?
learnt balancesheet,profit loss,asset ,liablities

what types of assets
fixed and current....

explain the types of assets in ur dad's buz
told

liablities
told

if a huge amount of investment made for buying machinery.and paid back within year..will it be current or ,,?
not sure about the classification

did u learn about some ratio(dont remm) in this course
no sir

ok what did u learn in course human resource
[
with the guy's way of speaking i could guess he is a faculty of HR

With all apologies to people aspiring for HR, a personal opinion , HRM sucks big time and any loser can give those general fundae...so infi pelam pali ki :)
]

training ,motivation,..earlier only personnel management, now hr

diff b/w 2
pm is more mechanical...

some discussion in b/w

.hr is a friend with whom you can share your views

(laughing ) so now my new way of teaching students would be :"hr is a friend with whom you can share your views:"
i didnot budge at all and was confident because this answer was reasonable

what is one thing you would look for when training

(ye sab infi easy hota hai bolna ) (i did a course but usme to kuch naa pada ...all this are general fundae)
how to use the individual to the best abiulites..to macth the vision and mission of the company

what do test for when recruitment?
the analytical abilities, basic technical skills

interview is there to judge a person way of thinking ,but very subjective...

the way a person answers why he wants to join the company and his long term vision ..how much confidence in that answer and how well he answers it.

what is one thing u liked most in hrm( mentioned 2-3 things i didnt remem much at that time)
so said training :)

future first hires engineers trains them about finance so u r contradicting when u say ability tested beife recruimrnt
i said for ff trading finacial knowledge not required

laughing their ass out...(kuch bhi)

i said and very confidently that ff chekcs claucltion speed
gave ff interview and all they tested wad how we;ll u react in stress

a guy who would know finanvce but doesnot have good calcution speed wouldnot help to them

so a CA wouldnot know basic maths of multiplivcion
it';s not about knowing it is about the speed

so the abiliotes tested before recruitment are calulation speed,thinking power and how u perform in stress
so abilites are tested ( and hence i proved i didnot contradicr myslef)

Which other calls?
ACIL

cross talk: acha he has not got B
sir i had 82 in 12th B wants above 90 in both 10 and 12th so i was not shortlisted....I have a good cpi but even then they didn't call me..

ok done

It was pleasure to meet u sir

END

verdict converted
krackkit Says
bro!!!! it shows selected for me ....

shows selected for me tooo

CONGRATULATIONS !!! You have been selected for admission to PGP 2011-13 batch at IIM Lucknow.
  • 1 Like  
bro!!!! it shows selected for me ....
wayne rooney Says
Any Update puys,the discussion group has been closed but cud not stop the anxiety of knowing the latest on results.

This opens up fine.
Dunno if the db is linked yet.
MODS ji dont punish for this!

PS: Shows a reject for me.
  • 1 Like  
PG Dream Team 2010 | Kaptaan HDT 2010 | IIM Indore Batch of 2013
oops wrong thread
I don't think results will come out in 2011 :drinking:

P.S. Sorry for the spam
  • 2 Likes  
Dr Sushrut Joshi, Indian Institute of Management Lucknow, Class of 2013

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

64 people follow this discussion.