(2011-13) DMS IIT Delhi GDPI Experiences

Hi all, With the GDPI process starting today, use this thread to post your experiences. For the benefit of everyone, use the following format: *Slot* *Academic Profile* *Work Experience* *Any other achievements/accomplishments* *...
Follow this discussion to get notified of latest updates.
Page 1 of 3   

DISCUSSION IS GETTING FURTHER CARRIEDON THE FOLLOWING LINK

http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/2013-dms-iitd-gd-pi-call-getters-discussion-25062969

hey!!by wat tym tym results cumin out??
ny guess :D
sjmsom n vgsom results r already out!!!

One Year PGPM @ Great Lakes

Post Graduate Program in Management (PGPM)

- 1 Year Fast Track MBA Program

- Accredited by AMBA, UK

- Ranked 7th by Outlook & Business Today in 2014

- Avg. CTC of INR 11.43 Lakhs in 2014

App. Deadline: 30 November, 2014

Learn More

10+ Global Associations with Leading Schools/ Universities

25+ International Visiting Faculty from Stanford, Yale, Kellogg, etc.

50+ National Level Prizes Won by Students in 2013-14

100+ Industry Leaders on Campus in 2013-14

3000+ Alumni Network spread over 28 Countries

Know More
Hi Hari,

Are the results of IITD coming out tomorrow (27-04-2011)?

Hey, I am not senior but I heard from both the seniors at IIT B anD IIT D that all IIT results are coming tomorrow..
  • 1 Like  

Hi Hari,

Are the results of IITD coming out tomorrow (27-04-2011)?

hw much is the course fee

varunatait Says
When will the course start this year ? I mean the exact date ?

July 25. Orientation might be held 5-7 days prior to that.
  • 2 Likes  

When will the course start this year ? I mean the exact date ?

I think it was mentioned in the presentation 91+24 (for telecom mgmt)...

• 1 Like  

what will be the number of seats in DMS this year ? last year it was around 90 and the year before that it was around 50.

I personally think that since China owns a good deal of Fed bonds, it's upto them to sell these bonds when they want etc.. their motive behind this purchase is often cited as a -ve tactic to cripple the US economy..
One reason behind this purchase was to make yuan stronger. Besides, pouring trillions of dollars into the US market raised inflation in the US.
It's true that purchasing of bonds can inject money into the economy but rapid selling can lower market values.....
After all they want to thwart the US in the long run.. don't they ?
No offence meant but the answer is not so simple I am afraid....

Thoughts on this... anyone ?.....:

P.S If I am raising this at the wrong thread, please redirect at the correct place.

Hi,

Its like this...one can commit suicide if one wants to, but one will not...
Since majority of exports from China are consumed in the US, the chinese and the americans are in a marraige of convenience...and they just cant simply part....
Unless china diversifies its markets elsewhere, which considering the scale of US consumption, is impossible in the next few decades...
  • 1 Like  

P2: Can China pose a danger to Dollar?
Me: No. Coz they have all the Fed bonds, and US is its biggest customer...

P1: Are you sure China cant?
Me: Yes Sir.

I personally think that since China owns a good deal of Fed bonds, it's upto them to sell these bonds when they want etc.. their motive behind this purchase is often cited as a -ve tactic to cripple the US economy..
One reason behind this purchase was to make yuan stronger. Besides, pouring trillions of dollars into the US market raised inflation in the US.
It's true that purchasing of bonds can inject money into the economy but rapid selling can lower market values.....
After all they want to thwart the US in the long run.. don't they ?
No offence meant but the answer is not so simple I am afraid....

Thoughts on this... anyone ?.....:

P.S If I am raising this at the wrong thread, please redirect at the correct place.
Sauvik Seal | Admissions Committee | VGSOM IIT-KGP
First of all, a BIG cheers to IITD seniors!!!!

An completely organized process, patiently answered queries, a great presentation, less waiting time, no confusions, a quick bite at the canteen 'on the house

One sincere suggestion: Please post all the facts and info from the presentation to the website. The website is a global face for the school and definitely needs an update.

Posting my experience for the benefit of the next batch....
Slot : 5th March 8 AM , JMET rank 469

Academic Profile : BTech in EC (65%), ICSE 10th (88%) , ISC 12th (75%)

Work Experience : 16 months IT

Any other achievements/accomplishments : Good EC, certificates during work ex

GD Topic and Experience : "Budget 2011: Aha or Alas"
It was a large room with U shaped table, candidates were seated with some distance. I was at seat 1, and it was somewhat difficult to make people listen from there. Put up my points 4-5 times, there was rapid cutting in between. There were moments when everyone tried to speak at the same time but people refrained themselves soon after, as we were advised not to make a fish market, by the IITD seniors just before the GD.

Interview Experience : I was told by the senior whom I met outside the room that this panel has a finance prof so Im bound to get some questions from finance. He also updated me some current data. Thanks for that!

My panel consisted of the finance prof (P1), a person from industry (P2) and another person who left on phone as soon as I entered

P1 : Stated my marks from the form, asked whether its too early for me to do an MBA?
Me : Answered...also tried to share my Bplans, but he regretfully said that there was lack of time

P2 : What do you read to keep yourself updated?
Me : ET, Hindu, Economist....

P2: Tell me some recent news
Me: Told...2-3

P1: Whats the price of Gold?
Me: Told.

P1 : Silver? Euro?

P2 : What the current GDP of India?

P2: You know that China's forex reserves are more or less equal to India's GDP? Is that a threat to India?
Me: I answered in negative. The threat is the infrastructure capabilities of China. Also that English is now introduced in Chinese schools....

P2: Can China pose a danger to Dollar?
Me: No. Coz they have all the Fed bonds, and US is its biggest customer...

P1: Are you sure China cant?

P2: Do you belong to a business family?

P1: Is there any means to defy corruption and unethical practices? What would you do in such situations?
Me: I said to business in India, some lines have to be crossed, or they will be be inevitably crossed by others. But there is a distinction even in unethical practices, and while one is going the wrong way, one must not harm anyone else
http://cdn.pagalguy.net/pagalguy/smilies/cry.gif]

P2: What is the current unemployment rate in the US?
Me: Dont know. Maybe 15-20% [He told it was 8.1%, I nodded with a smile)

P1: Have you heard of SEBI? Who is the current head?

The third person returns...P1 asks him whether he wants to ask something.... He answers in negative. I am thanked and asked to leave.

Overall, I was able to answer almost all the questions, except one about US unemployment rate and the ethical question.
Dear Seniors, please let me know what you think about my prospects....
  • 3 Likes  

Hi buddies,

Like this post's heading says...my first IIT experience in my life. The campus is astounding (barring accommodation, which can be excused considering the experience and knowledge one will get, post convert i.e). Will try to be as concise as possible..and the experience is just my perception. The reality could well be different.

Document verification & senior-interaction:
Everything was chilled out. Even if attested photocopies were unavailable, we were asked to self attest them. Missing photocopies were taken by the seniors for us. A very well managed process, in the most simple manner possible. The seniors played us a DMS clip and we all had an interaction, very 'insightful' I would say.

Group Discussion:
After the above process, my group of 12 was taken to the 4th floor. The mentor sincerely advised us to keep our taste for fish with us and against creating a fish market inside..alas, only if there were vegetarians in my group ;).

Topic: Lousy managers- men or women
I realized I suck at general topics like this. Thanks to IIFT preparation, I converted from anti-statistics to a pro-statistics guy..so statistics related topics are a yes yes for me. General ones, have to buck up :-(. They are looking @ the candidate's thought process I guess.

3 candidates spoke really well (not me plz)..I could make my entry only thrice. Whenever I successfully piped down one person to make my point, someone barged in at that precise second . Overall, a noisy fish market..to rub it in, one person tried to summarise the discussion (with the intention of adding something to it I guess) and the panelist asked us to stop & leave since he summarised .

Personal Interview (the biggie):
Since I was luckily/unluckily the first in my group...I was called in for the PI first. I stepped in to see 4 people chatting...4??? Another first for me
Sir1 (S1): DMS's Operation professor (Prof Ravi Shankar )
Sir2 (S2): personnel from the industry
Madam1 (M1): looked quite uninterested in my answers almost till the end :)
Sir4 (S4): Definitely from the industry :D
Me:
----
S1: (starts reading my form till starting of SOP)
Me: ( ..what about the questions??)
S1: So Satish, why IIT-Delhi?
Me: (Answered).
S1: Oh okay..so did you go through the faculty profile??
Me: (damn that hurt!!) I am sorry sir, to be honest, I did not go through the faculty profile.
S1: (beckoning to S2) Okay Sir.
S2: Okay Satish, what is the work that you exactly do?
Me: (explained)
S2: So are you a project or team leader?
Me: Sir, unofficially a module leader... (then explained the TCS' generous promotion policy)
S2: All right. So more than 3 years now..How would you say you have contributed to the company?
Me: (explained with an example...mentioned winning best team award..M rolled her eyes in between which stunned me momentarily)
S2: Okay am done. Thank you (smiling).
M: So, what other calls do you have?
Me: Ma'am, IITB - IITD - IIMRRT
M: So which one would you choose?
Me: (explained about the latter two...don't know how I forgot to mentioned IITB, which I hope they did not notice..ended by saying it would be a tight call)
M: Being a manager you can't say that. You have to choose!!
Me: Ma'am, can I answer assuming I have a call from IIT-D? (very stupid ques :oops:)
M: Yes of course, you must. And yes, you can (I had asked the question for this exact answer though)
Me: (told)
M: Okay, thank you (throws a disarming smile, couldn't help but smile :))
S3: Satish, so you are from the CSE background. Are you aware of the current trends in the field?
Me: (inside: ) .. outside: Yes sir, to an extent.
S3: (smiles) Okay, could you please tell me what is grid computing?
Me: Sir to be honest...I have heard of it. But I cannot explain it...(then gave a half-baked answer)
M: Why do you keep saying "to be honest"?
Me: ...... :)
M: So do you mean to say you are dishonest otherwise??
Me: .....
M: (looked satisfied)
S3: Okay, now could you tell us what is cloud computing?
Me: explained...(searched now and realized that my explanation was just okay)
S3: Can you give an example of a real-world application under cloud computing that has been tested and is in use??
Me: I am not sure sir. But cloud computing is very beneficial for small and medium enterprises (SMEs) ~should have mentioned the internet!! ~.
S3: Would it be better to distribute the resources or keep them in a single location?
Me: explained
Them: Okay, you are done. Thank you.
Me: (after a pause) If you don't mind, I have a question
M: By all means, please go ahead.
Me: ..question..
S1: ..answered..
Me: (satisfied look on face...thanked each one of them and left the room).

PI timeline:
S1= ~2 min; S2= ~3 min; M= ~1.5 min; S3= ~2.5min; my Q&A; session :D= 2min.. total: ~11min :)

To summarize...an average GD and a screwed up PI. Fingers crossed :-(!! An approximately 1-month wait starts now!!

Ch33rs,
Satish

• 1 Like  
Seniors,

Any idea of prospective dates for final results????

Thanks,

It's expected to be out on 27th April.
  • 2 Likes  

Seniors,

Any idea of prospective dates for final results????

Thanks,

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

28 people follow this discussion.