PaGaLGuY's Prepathon

Get access to great test material and prepare with friends! For CAT, IBPS, SSC-CGL and more!

Download for free.

[2011-12 GDPI Helpline] By NITIE Students - the Last lap to enter Dream B-Schools

Dear All, For the second year in succession, we bring to you the *PaGaLGuY Official GDPI Helpline* in collaboration with students of *NITIE Mumbai*. Helpline has the sole objective to ensure that you are empowered to crack GDPI in a better wa...
Follow this discussion to get notified of latest updates.
Page 35 of 110   
Calling off the GD on previous topic ! With less data, i must appreciate the efforts put by you all and the points discussed were really good. I hope this topic helped you all ! We shall be posting the analysis and feedbacks soon!

Moving on to the new topic: Positive discrimination is like paying for the past.

House is open for discussion

positive discrimination is any form of preferential treatment to a person,group or place on the basis of their caste,creed,sex,religion or any other diversifying factor which is intended to benefit some weaker or deprived sections of the society.We can approch this topic from the historical,political,social as well as national/international perspectives!!!

Starting this discussion i would like to logically begin from the present day condition in the country.reservation has been the most hotly debated topic for the past 60 years in the country and is the best example of positive discrimination.I think that positive discrimination is not always like paying for the past.On the contrary it is like investing in the future in this case.Their maybe valid points such as meritorious candidates loosing out,the intended poor people are not really the beneficiaries and all such opposition.But what i really want to stress upon is that,i do not agree with the current system of preferential treatment and would rather like to see discrimination being done in a way such that the deprived castes and sections of the society get equal opportunities and the best education available on an urgent and free basis.The current system is flawed.How can we expect poor or socially deprived people to compete with convent going students of the metros when the plight of all government schools and the quality of teachers are in pathetic conditions.giving the socially downtrodden equal chances to compete would be a more preferable form of "preferential treatment: rather then the current one which rewards mediocrity.
  • 5 Likes  
If u have never failed,u have never lived!!

Calling off the GD on previous topic ! With less data, i must appreciate the efforts put by you all and the points discussed were really good. I hope this topic helped you all ! We shall be posting the analysis and feedbacks soon!

Moving on to the new topic: Positive discrimination is like paying for the past.

House is open for discussion

• 4 Likes  
** MBA is hyped but post MBA life is over hyped **
Sorry for bragging in so late..but I would like to take this point further after this Indepth SWOT analysis, Mike should be in a clear state of mind for what his next step is going to be.

Now there can be many possibly. We can basically nail it down to 3 main cases:

1. If he believes everything looks good and the parent company can actually do wonders after acquiring this new company, he should look forward how to make the maximum of this acquisition.

2. If he feels, the deal is going to be a neutral one for the company as a whole but going to benefit the Chairman and the President only, he should come up with some amendments in the deal and discuss it with bosses and may present later on in a meeting with Board of Directors/Stakeholders.

3. In case he is convinced that the deal is going to do no good and it will just be a loss to everyone related to the parent company, he may very well call a meeting with Board of Directors explaining his view point explicitly as it would be morally wrong to stay quiet when one know it will have malignant impacts on everyone. That ways he will keep his credibility with the Board of Directors/Stakeholders too even while he goes against the Chairman/President.

I think we can conclude this discussion . What has been observed is that the term ' for their own benefit ' has been the object of considerable attention . All of us agree to the fact that the chairman or the president should not engage in unethical means . The group agrees that mike should take up a detailed study of the take over bid , the ailments of the company in question and the benefits his chairman and the president could obtain due to the take over . The findings of such a report presented to appropriate stakeholders would serve to aid Mike in making a decision regarding the take over .
  • 1 Like  
In my opinion Mike should do an in depth (unbiased) SWOT analysis on the decision of acquiring a company that is underperforming.

He should first list out the Strenghts of his company. He should also do an depth analysis of the strengths of the underperforming company, as this can be the main point on deciding whether they should acquire it or not. (If there is no strength in underperforming company then there is no point in acquiring them )

He should then do extensive research on the Weakness of the company, what are the reasons they are underperforming. Do they have enough strengths that can turn their weakness the other way round.

As the company is underperforming, it is a good Opportunity to acquire them at this point, as it would be cheaper (couldn't think of a better word). Other opportunities can be, acquiring this company will eliminate one market competitor for Mike's company and will increase their market share automatically.

Most importantly, all Threats should be listed by Mike. It should not be the case that acquiring an underperforming company takes the parent company down with it, which will be the biggest threat in this case. Other threats should be listed and backup plans should be made ready for each of them.

On presenting all the data to Chairman and President, Mike can help them take a better decision in the interest of the company (which is ethical too).

Example: I would like to cite an example of Flipkart.com acquiring LetsBuy in its weakness, and I think everyone will agree that will add to the revenues of flipkart and help them grow.

:cheers:

Sorry for bragging in so late..but I would like to take this point further after this Indepth SWOT analysis, Mike should be in a clear state of mind for what his next step is going to be.

Now there can be many possibly. We can basically nail it down to 3 main cases:

1. If he believes everything looks good and the parent company can actually do wonders after acquiring this new company, he should look forward how to make the maximum of this acquisition.

2. If he feels, the deal is going to be a neutral one for the company as a whole but going to benefit the Chairman and the President only, he should come up with some amendments in the deal and discuss it with bosses and may present later on in a meeting with Board of Directors/Stakeholders.

3. In case he is convinced that the deal is going to do no good and it will just be a loss to everyone related to the parent company, he may very well call a meeting with Board of Directors explaining his view point explicitly as it would be morally wrong to stay quiet when one know it will have malignant impacts on everyone. That ways he will keep his credibility with the Board of Directors/Stakeholders too even while he goes against the Chairman/President.
ManDevIan for Life :mg:

Its quite possible that the president and chairman hold a good amount of shares of the other company and since the company isnt doing good, its quite possible that their investments are in big losses. Mike's company on the other hand may be a market leader in its domain and sheer news of acquiring the loss making company may boost the stock prices of that company and hence benefit both of them.
Mike on the other hand should do a valuation of the company. Its also possible that the current market valuations to be less owing to the under performance of the company and it may be possible to work on a few aspects and improve the company performance. That way it becomes a good deal to acquire that company.
Mike should present his study to the board of directors and let the decision of the board be final.

PGPM 2012 - 2014, MDI Gurgaon || Coach Dil(li)wale Dreamers Team 2012
sid1989 Says
I think we are kind of stuck in a rut wrt to further proceedings in this topic.

Yes. Varun bhai, maybe with some more data given with respect to the two companies and the people involved - we could have taken the discussion further. It was very challenging, nevertheless
MBA-Marketing, SIBM Pune, Batch of 2014

I think we are kind of stuck in a rut wrt to further proceedings in this topic.

Sorry for anyone offended but I used stupid in the context of my example I never meant to offend anyone.

Look this is what the topic says :

Mike is vice president of a company and his company president and chairman are willing to acquire a company which is underperforming for their own benefit, what should Mike do?

It clearly states that ".... for their own benefit" which clearly shows that they have some own vested interest in this. If the takeover would have been beneficial to the company then the usage of term would have been ".... for the company's benefit "

This is what I understood from the topic and so all my opinion is based on this but I may totally be wrong lets see what other puys think...

If we consider the situation as presented by you where president's relative owns the underperforming, I would still say that VP should do his job of presenting the correct data to Chairman, President and other board of directors.

In my opinion Mike should do an in depth (unbiased) SWOT analysis on the decision of acquiring a company that is underperforming.

He should first list out the Strenghts of his company. He should also do an depth analysis of the strengths of the underperforming company, as this can be the main point on deciding whether they should acquire it or not. (If there is no strength in underperforming company then there is no point in acquiring them )

He should then do extensive research on the Weakness of the company, what are the reasons they are underperforming. Do they have enough strengths that can turn their weakness the other way round.

As the company is underperforming, it is a good Opportunity to acquire them at this point, as it would be cheaper (couldn't think of a better word). Other opportunities can be, acquiring this company will eliminate one market competitor for Mike's company and will increase their market share automatically.

Most importantly, all Threats should be listed by Mike. It should not be the case that acquiring an underperforming company takes the parent company down with it, which will be the biggest threat in this case. Other threats should be listed and backup plans should be made ready for each of them.

On presenting all the data to Chairman and President, Mike can help them take a better decision in the interest of the company (which is ethical too).

Example: I would like to cite an example of Flipkart.com acquiring LetsBuy in its weakness, and I think everyone will agree that will add to the revenues of flipkart and help them grow.

:cheers:

• 3 Likes  
Analysis of the topic : The woods are lovely, dark & deep but I have got promises to keep !

These amazing lines from Robert Frost's Stopping by woods on a snowy evening salutes the never dying human spirit. These lines are amazing in more than one way. On one hand where it inspires a person not to be distracted by the worldly affairs and stay focused to the path on which he has set his voyage, it also presents a ray of hope and belief to a person who is shattered and could find no way out of the situation.

Life is a never ending adventure, full of surprises and distractions. But the tricky part comes when a person is presented with one such distraction. The real test lies in his decision, whether he chooses to get distracted or abide by the promises that he has made. The promises which are not made to the world, neither to his family or friends, but only to him. Nothing inspires you more than your inner voice, which continuously keeps on reminding you about the promises you have made and propels you forward to the next adventure you are set to meet.

The situation can be related to almost every other incident that keeps happening around us. Just take the example of the cricket wizard Sachin Tendulkar. After serving the country for around two decades, he can easily choose to retire from the main frame and enjoy a life of leisure, away from all the expectations and controversies, amidst his fans who treat him as a God. But still he keeps moving on. Is he driven by money? Or is he driven by the will for fame? No. The thing which drives him forward is the promise that he has made to himself, the promise to serve his country until the moment he finds the will from within to continue doing so.

Though the original lines written by Frost were mostly directed towards promises one makes to oneself, still this could be extend to almost every sphere of life ranging from Government to politics to society to corruption. At times you will be lured by the deep and lovely woods at the cost of your ethics. There lies the real test of the self. If only one could remain focused about the greater good, the distance one need to cover and the loss that could be caused because of a moment of loss of self control and if only one could keep oneself glued to the promises that were made, a lot of evil could be eliminated from the society.

If you have never failed, you have never lived. And the day you stop trying for more once you succeed, that success would be a lot worse than failure. India is a developing country and is growing at a rapid rate. But it can not choose to relax since the competition is fierce and the scope is tremendous. Even when there is no competition around it's not the end. There is always a person you can compete with, and that person is you. A competition which will help you improve by leaps and bounds.

Hence, these lines are meant just to convey one simple fact that it's impossible to reach the end. There is always a lot of scope in anything you do and hence the effort to improve upon yourself and achieve your goal should never be compromised with.
P.S. There are numerous number of examples that could be used in support of the topic. Just pick any random case and you would be able to relate it to one of the viewpoints that is given here. This is the beauty of the abstract topics like this. You just need to find the right and the logical connection and you would never be in dearth of good and valid points.

Cheers
  • 18 Likes  
Harsh Singh - NITIE Management Batch of 2013

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

177 people follow this discussion.