[2008] IIM Bangalore GD/PI Experiences

Hey puys, The day has almost arrived for few and will be coming our way in a few more days...And as the second round of the admission process commences on 20th March for IIM B, I am starting this thread for all of us to share our experiences an...
Follow this discussion to get notified of latest updates.
Page 12 of 15   

Had my IIMB GD/interview yesterday at 9 am @ IIMB

GD :
Case was about the frequent flier program of airlines which can be misused by employees by booking higher priced tickets for company travel so that they can use the miles earned on personal visits . Should companies ensure that the miles are credited to company account rather than employee .

Discussion was pretty crappy . We were asked to come to a conclusion but we didnt even make an effort to . Also they were too many instances of "Can you please let me finish" , "let me speak please " . The points discussed were again very ordinary . Myself also put in a very ordinary performance as I only mentioned a few imp points . Didnt even bother to enter the discussion at the later stage . My summary was also too general as were my answers to the other questions .

Interview :
Was more or less certain that this wouldnt be a good interview as I am not comfortable with questions like "Why MBA ?" ,"Tell me something about urself" . Had been very lucky with interview as not in a single interview I was asked any such question . Luck ran out at B .

Panel: P1 : Old prof
P2 : Very young guy

P2 : Tell us something abt urself ?
Me : (Ohh no) mumbled something
P1 : So you like music ? what kind ?
Me : Hindi music of any kind
P1 : Wht was the last song u listened ?
Me : Bhuji hui shama
P1 : Can you sing?
Me : I song but you wudnt like to hear me
P1 : So you are into dramatics ?
Me : Yup
P1 : What is the best play ?
Me : That i have been a part of or seen ?
P1 : either
P2 : (cuts in) You have done street plays ? What kind ?
Me : Pertaining to some small issues .
P2 : Whats the difference between street play and staged play ?
Me : Long satisfactory gyaan .
P2 : So you worked on Neural Networks ?
Me : Yup ( In my 2nd yr internship . Had no idea abt it now )
P2 : So how did you make the NN model ?
Me : Talked abt the training and test dataset . No. of hidden neurons etc ( have no idea how i remembered all this stuff)
P2 : what did u use this for ?
Me : For credit rating prediction .
P1 : How is it done ?
Me : Long funda on how I started to how i ended up with the result set .
P1 : What is investment grade ?
Me : AAA to BBB
P1 : Whats the difference between say a AAA and a BBB rating
Me : Talked abt differing default risk
P1 : Can you give me some figure ?
Me : No sir . Have no idea of the figures .
P1 : Do you remember the ratios you used for the model .
Me : I remember that there were 13 of them but not which ratios .
P1 : Do you know what a scarce resouce is ?
Me : For some reason I said no despite the fact that i actually knew it bcoz i wasnt confident (pretty straightforward it was )
P1 : How come ? You havent done any economics course is it ?
Me : Nope .
P1 : hows that possible ? Didnt you have a course ?
Me : They were all electives and I didnt do it .
P1 : Wht is the sub prime crisis ? ( I knew this question was coming )
Me : Told some stuff that I new . Used a lot of "ppl with bad credit history" etc .
P1 : What abt MFI ?
Me : Told him that i didnt know much abt that but that even it involved lending to high default risk category .
P1 : So isnt this sub prime as well ?
Me : Told him that MFI has some different agenda and they participate by ensuring that money lent is used well . Told him that i am more or less guessing here .
P2 : What is happening with regards to MFI in andhra ? (I am from andhra)
Me : Dont know .
P1 : You are from kharagpur , can you tell me something abt this nandigram stuff ?
Me : Told him some stuff abt this .
P1 : So what is ur personal opinion abt this .
Me : I told that development cannot be at the cost of the people .
P1 : But then we will never be able to progress .
(A long discussion with me sticking to my stand and talking abt the need to put people before development . They questioned such an approach . I again reiterated points like adequate compensation for the oustees . Also what some one like Ratan Tata in such a scenario . Managed to use some heavy weight terms like inclusive growth . Also brought in NBA into the picture )
P2 : So you from andhra . What is this telengana issue ? When did it come into prominence ?
Me : Talked abt demand for seperate state , rise of TRS etc
P1 : Something disturbs me a lot , why do IITians go for a mba when they have been trained for something like tech ? Isnt it a wasteful investment in them ?
Me : Managed to totally disagree with him . Talked abt how IIT was a part of the education that was also making them good managers . That IIT education doesnt lose its relevance after you go for an mba . ( Cudnt really come up with any good point ) .
P1 : So why mba ?
Me : Mumbled again .
(Long questioning as to how have you shown any example of being a good manager . Weakest part of the interview for me )
P2 : You work at Strand Life Sciences . What do they do ?
Me : Gave them gyaan .
P1 : okk that will be all
Me : thank you

• 27 Likes  

they are grilling in ECE !!!! man.. i am so dead

Go Global with ISBR Global PGDM – AICTE Approved

Advantages

- AICTE Approved

- Excellent ROI with cent% placement

- Experience 3 different countries

- Ranked No. 1 New Generation B-Schools of India

- Affordable Fee

Know More

ISBR Edge

- 23 years of excellence

- Located in Bangalore

- Highest Salary offered: 28 Lakh p.a.

- Received Exemplary Placement Award 2014

Download Fee Sructure

My experience at IIMB.

Panel: I think it was the same as above and hence the same GD.
My interview was different though, mostly based on my acads (ECE) and hobby (football)

Some acads questions:
1. Whats ur favorite, 2nd favorite, 3rd favorite subjects?:shock:
2. How do u remove noise from an Image.
3. Is all noise bad?
4. Whats the difference between black noise and white noise?
5. Whats Kalman filtering? :shock:
6. They also asked me to study their face for face recognition (Despite me telling that I havent done a course on computer vision)
7. Whats the oldest form of communication?
8. Something about speech processing.

Football questions:
1. Favorite player, best player.
2. Whats "hand of god" and yr opinion on it.
3. Unethical and illegal stuff in football.
4. About IPL and if it will be as successful as EPL.

Other than this they only asked me to tell a little about my work-ex. Suprizingly there were no "why MBA" questions.

• 11 Likes  

Hi puys,
Sorry for posting my experience a little late but never-mind it will be helpful for some guys..
I had my interview at IIM Bangalore, at 2p.m.
G.D. was on that cigarette thing and it went quite well.
Regarding summary and other questions- you have to be really quick to think and write down everything in 15 min. Some ppl in my batch had problems with that..

I was 2nd last for the interview:
P1: So, do you find it troublesome waiting outside?
Me: No sir, (smiling) I am pretty much used to it.
P1: So what are the disadvantages or possible advantages or coming at the end?
Me: Some gyan.. I said i get to know what all is being asked in the interviews and whats the general flow in the interviews.
P1: So, how did others describe their interviews.
Me: I replied they were pretty happy with the interviews and interviews were mostly HR based. And i said, overall everyone felt interviews were "decent"
P1: Pounced on this decent thing and asked if other interviews were "indecent"
There was laughter and smiles most of the time.. Finally coming to business, they said they want me to choose a topic to be interviewed upon. I was being humble for some time but thought its a good chance to pounce on. So I asked them to discuss financial markets and then a set of questions followed..
Then there were 2-3 questions on my B.Tech and I did fumble there..
But overall the interview was satisfactory and was more of a discussion.

One more thing: They never bothered to look at my file which I found was very unusual. One never knows what these guys want from you...

Rest, the results will tell....
All the best to you guys...
--Varun

• 14 Likes  

See over a period of time I have realised that IIMB people give profile based calls.They give you call if they are interested otherwise not.As simple as that.
So generally,if some superman (gud acads,gud extra-currics,gud profile basically) comes,then they are aware that this guy/gal has survived and got such great CGPA/marks let say in IITs, and such gud extra currics- then in this case they only verify very few things about the candidate.In this case they try to maintain a converstaion (no stress interview) as they are sure that this guy/gal wud certainly do well at IIM bangalore and they then give admission to that candidate.
But even after being a superman,a person screws his interview because of lack of confidence and other factors, we all know what wil happen. :)

Now coming to people who are good but were not so good in acads during some period of time(like decrease in grad,school were 90s)- then they are aware that there must be some reason behind this performance.Most of the time they know that its because of fun and masti and lack of committment towards studies.But sometimes there are genuine reasons.So in that case they confirm that plus they want to see "what if the candidate has not scored good marks in grads"- there must be some other qualities- like working under excess pressure (in which people with avg acads are always superman,one nite study and stil such marks ).

Now here people with avg acads have to compensate for their marks by their genuine qualities like working under stress (other qualities might be tested i just gave an example).

Thats it.There is no other category exists and i am stil repeating IIMB people give calls only to special people.So be confident, al you need to do is to prove yourself in those few mins of interview.

----------------
@Nk123
In your case,it was the 2nd case.So they started by asking questoions for which you were least prepared (I am sure you have not bothered to read about those functions,you must be preparing answers for ur consulting work ex. et al)
So dont worry, even if u didnt answer all the questions- its completely fine.
Later part of the interview shows that he was interesd in ur venture eBiz.So after the traumas of e^x , if you were able to express yourself without stress,I am very sure you did well

All the best

-accenture07

PS:These are my views other people might feel differently :)
  • 21 Likes  

24th March: 9 AM

GD Topic : Case study on frequent flier miles should be credited to employee's account or it should go to employer's and how to remove the abuses it has got.

Had nice discussion, No fish market but sometime 2-3 ppl were speaking @ same time. finally e'one got chance to speak.

then Summary writing and 2 Qs : the most influential person of 20th Century and next was how PGP from IIMB can help u in reaching ur goal.

then my PI started :

2 Prof: 1 fair prof ( FP) and another prof ( AP) and moi.

FP: So what work do you do?
Moi: blah blah
FP: So u did aerospace engg. then consultancy??? dont find any relation!!
Moi: tried to defend like at tht time why i took n then later i cudnt get much interest in it.
AP : yea yea his grade reflects that why he didnt go to aerospace field :dontgeti:
FP : Okay can you complete this series [ he gave me one series to complete ]
Moi: 1st 10 seconds...i was blank...then suddenly clicked and solved.
FP: Have you studied maths...a little bit ? [ what a Q? :sneaky:]
Moi: Yes sir
FP: whats ur fav. in maths?
Moi: nething sir,
FP: no no give me something like co-ordiate, calculus, algebra etc.
Moi: Calculus
FP: diff. or integral?
Moi: Differential [ whatever the performance wud be same :o]
FP: okay tell me the diff. of [e pow ax].
Moi: told:
FP: Can you prove it?
Moi: I can try sir...and started with basic delta x thingie and then stuck [:sneaky: it was so simple i realised when i came out ..bloody mind goes blank thr]

FP: okay leave it ..can you draw the graph of [ e pow x].
Moi: done.
FP : [e pow -x]
Moi: done.
FP : [e pow -x2]
Moi: the curve will be little steep ...i said..
FP: Draw it
Moi: and i did mistake here...drew the steep version of [e pow -x]

FP: are you sure?
Moi: yes sir [ trying to look into the graph but was nothing coming in mind :o]
FP: whats your career plan?
Moi: told and said i have already started my eBiz.
FP: What is it actually [ regarding my eBiz]
Moi: told
FP: it seems interesting, give me the link of it?
Moi: I told and he noted it down and verified it with me again.
FP: why gap between +2 and IIT admission?
Moi: said i was in NIT and then got into IIT so gap.
FP: okay and passed it to 2nd prof.
AP: okay..thank you ..you can go now.
Moi: thank you :o

Came out clueless ...dont know how it went ...take it positive or negative?

thats all...peace out..session ends with today's GDPI for me

Nitin

• 30 Likes  
I remember before signaling us to write the summary the Prof had instructed us to

"Write a summary of the discussion. You may primarily want to write the points discussed during the discussion."

I think it makes it clear that we can add few points to summary which were not a part of the discussion .. but primarily we need to write about the discussion on the table ..

dont read too much between the word of prof mate...probably he wanted to say what u mentioned..however...generally(over the years and in other IIMs)..u are supposed to write only what has been discussed in the GD...the whole purpose of this is to know whether u were listening what others were discussing during the GD.....so doesn't makes sense to write ur points here....
  • 1 Like  
One more question,

Do they give some time (5 mins or so) after the GD before we start writing the summary. (This wud be gud enough time to recollect all points )

And as u said, its PRIMARILY what was discussed but I still feel summary should be what was discussed. Personal opinion..

We were given the summary sheets right after the GD ... so no extra time to recollect the points discussed.

Everyone should have a personal opinion .. thats the beauty :-P
  • 1 Like  
I remember before signaling us to write the summary the Prof had instructed us to

"Write a summary of the discussion. You may primarily want to write the points discussed during the discussion."

I think it makes it clear that we can add few points to summary which were not a part of the discussion .. but primarily we need to write about the discussion on the table ..

One more question,

Do they give some time (5 mins or so) after the GD before we start writing the summary. (This wud be gud enough time to recollect all points )

And as u said, its PRIMARILY what was discussed but I still feel summary should be what was discussed. Personal opinion..
guys i hv a doubt regarding the SUMMARY we are supposed to write....(i know it might sound silly... but here it goes):

do we have to write only about the discussion that took place in the GD.....mentioning the same points.... in the order in which we proceded in the GD?? In that case, everyone's summary would essentially be the same in different words. Can't we add our own conclusion & stress our own points, which may not have been readily accepted by the group.

Plz reply

thanks
dipen:

CAT %ile: 99.1
CALLS from: IIMs B,C,K and MDI

• 2 Likes  
Does anybody have any idea about the results ?

The CAT application brouchure says that the 'first offer list' for L comes out on the 11th of April.What about the other IIMs?Especially B which has interviews scheduled till the 7th of April.
Dont know much in terms of the official word but i think the tentative date for all IIMs is 11th only....so lets wait and watch
  • 1 Like  

Does anybody have any idea about the results ?

The CAT application brouchure says that the 'first offer list' for L comes out on the 11th of April.What about the other IIMs?Especially B which has interviews scheduled till the 7th of April.

guys i hv a doubt regarding the SUMMARY we are supposed to write....(i know it might sound silly... but here it goes):

do we have to write only about the discussion that took place in the GD.....mentioning the same points.... in the order in which we proceded in the GD?? In that case, everyone's summary would essentially be the same in different words. Can't we add our own conclusion & stress our own points, which may not have been readily accepted by the group.

Plz reply

thanks
dipen:

CAT %ile: 99.1
CALLS from: IIMs B,C,K and MDI

@dipen
dude summary itself means that u hv to write wt all has been discussed n u r nt supposed to write nth tht wasnt discussed
nd by the way the panelists told us clearly tht we hv to write only wat was discussed nd not add any points or opinions on our own
hope tht clarifies
  • 2 Likes  
Karti Says
Puys why no experiences posted for 22nd and 23rd... are saturday and sunday holidays for IIM B interviews?

dude..22nd was a holiday....(Holi).....do u expect them to conduct interviews on holi?........and 23 is not yet over..just wait for some time..if no one posts then probably they r not conducting interviews on Sunday...

Puys why no experiences posted for 22nd and 23rd... are saturday and sunday holidays for IIM B interviews?

Follow This Discussion

When you follow a discussion, you receive notifications about new posts and comments. You can unfollow a discussion anytime, or turn off notifications for it.

122 people follow this discussion.