My IIMA GD and interview details
It was related to the some small PC firm in Gujarat facing various problems in finance, employee atrrition and also customer satisfaction.
Someone started with directly jumping to the SOLUTION so I came in saying no wait we will discuss the case first (Good Chance to enter the GD !!!)
Then I came 4-5 times.....categorized the problems in 3 cat and ask group to focus on one by one.....again talked about the solution part....thats it.
It was very peaceful affair and everyone was getting his/her bandwidth.....
I was at my best and really rocked here !!!
1. So what you are doing right now ?
2. Since how long you are there ?
3. Are you team leader ? (No sir I am prime....not team leader)
4. How many primes are there ?
5. You do appraisals of your team members ?
6. Do you have subs on networking (have 0ne sir....but major was telecom communication subs )
7. Tell me about the in mobile telephony where are wires and were it is wireless ?
8.. Which is protocol for the wireless ?
9. What are BTS ?
10. Explian roaming ? (I aksed him he want roaming or handoff ? He said HANDOFF.....so then I gave all the handoff deatils and type like softer,soft and hard )
(Upto this point I was at my best to ans )
Prof 2 came into picture....
10. You done your BE project in Antenna Array (Mentioned in my file )
tell me what are they ? tried to explain......I think he need application here.....which I fumble to tell..... (He told me that wh he want and what ans is......That Realy Bad and Sad for me ) .......MISTAKE NO 1
11. Why GA .....do you gave thought on other algos ...?
I told we know there were some AI algos also ....
12. Which are they ? (I don't remember the names)
13. So why GA not the others (I told it was my guides advice that GA are easy to implement....)
(He want this only!!!! he laughed and told other two that they followed the guide advise and used GA because they were easy to implement........My MISTAKE NO 2 )
14. Then he ask me about the Qs on one graph ?
15. One more graph ......asked it is increasing or decreasing ?
16. He looked into the whole certis and suddenly went out
Prof 3 came into scene
17. So what is TRAI ? What they do ?
18. Will the spectrum allocation affect your work ?
19. What is TRAI 99 policy ?
20. What is unified licensing (I explain about the circle and bidding ka details but he want smt different so I said no idea )
21. Under which min Telecom come (I told Information and Broadcasting.......he ask me again I said that only.....but it was wrong......MY MISTAKE NO 3)
22. Then there are some news that gov is favoring CDMA ? (I said these are allegations )
23. Explain what are they ?
24. what will be effect of this on GSM ?
25. You are from Ahemdnagar ? (I corrected small place Jamkhed in that district.... )
26. So how it got name Ahemdnagar ? (Told about the Nijam Shah's name ...)
27. Same is with Ahemdabad ? (No idea sir !!!)
28. Your place is famous about something what is that ? smt related to health ? (I told the Award winning work of Dr Arole couple )
29. How the work going on now ? (I told it got affected after demise of Mrs Arole )
30. What are the corps in your area ? (I told them.......and added all fruits and vegs are also available......He asked are you sure? .....I told yes sir because it is very well connected with other places so if not production but supply is very good ...!!! )
Thank You !!!........You may have toffees !!!!
Other interview details and GD/PI related articles you can find on my blog
ALL THE BEST !!!!
Some tips from my side
1. Form a GD/PI group ...believe me it helps a lot
2. Don't ponder on the criterias for final call.....use this time to work on your weak areas
3. Enjoy the PROCESS....rather than taking burden of it
ALL THE BEST !!!
PS: I already posted some GD/PI tips and my last year's exp on my blog.....visit it for details
hey fellow puys great to see many of you are Gazal Lovers....
I like all kind of Gazals (provided I can get their meaning)....
Just listened WHEN I AM ALONE......A GAZAL COLLECTION.....more than 50 times the gazals in this collecetion are really great ....
Would want to join this gang. Am an serial repeater now. Will be having a hat-trick this yr.
CAT 2004: 79%tile dont remember the breakup (but with such a score, rather not remember the breakup )
CAT 2005: 86%tile (VA: 92, Quant: 87, DI: 48:wow: )
Did give Welingkar's GD/PI but frankly I dont think I stand a chance. Now have 20 months of work ex.
Frankly speaking, the first time though gave a long time to preparation there was no consistency. The second time started preps only after the 1st SimCAT.
So hope to start early this time as well as be consistent
Post study plans if u guys have 1.
Some more gyan to share here.....
Finish the initial prep by the end of AUG/SEP so that you can give best shot at SIMCAT and AIMCAT....
Also while solving the paper always try to dominate the paper rather than getting dominated by it !!!
guys keep the good work going on.....
I was regular visitor to this thread before my CAT....and it helped me lot in VA and RC...
As I promised, I will surely write about HOW TO CRACK THE CAT here. But before going to it always remember CAT is not the end of life. I feel the luck factor was my side that helped me to emerge victorious if it was not there I might have found myself on the other side. So always remember my quote for CAT preparation GIVE YOUR BEST AND FORGET THE REST.
When to start?
I told is always better to start when you are in graduation. The initial preparation should start from 18 Months to 2 years before the date of the test.
You should be good in calculations, logic and average English reading speed is must. You should take a diagnostic test which tells you which are the areas you are good in and which are the area of concerns for you.
You need to have a strong driving force that always keep you fighting against all odd to reach your destination. This driving force can be anything like money, good spouse, impressing your girl friend or high flying career ambitions but make sure you have your own reason. Also one needs to have some inclination towards the business and related happenings. This will not help you to crack the test but surely add value when you will be there in second step that is GD/PI.
Classes How Much You Need Them?
I strongly recommend the classes for the first timers because it will help to structure your preparation and also provide you with the environment to maintain your tempo.
For someone like me they can also prove as inspiration by impressing the fellow classmates in your batch with your scores and speedy class responses. For the second timers or third timers I will strongly advice not to waste time in classes if they already done it once. They should utilize their time for identifying the holes remained and work on to remove them.
After taking a diagnostic and analyzing the scores one get fair idea of where one stand and how much improvement one requires to hit the bulls eye.
Dont rely on the coaching institute to make an Action Plan for you. Made it of your own and try to follow it. Tracking the progress in the area wise always helps.
This is a very crucial part of your CAT preparation. I still remember the famous quote about the test series
Practice tests are like mirror to tell you how beautiful you looks but definitely its one you to decide how much makeup you need to put on!!
A good test series helps in identifying the areas you need to improve in and also tells you where you are standing comparing with the others in race. Take the feedbacks positively and use them to build your preparation.
Take every test as a new challenge and always try to beat the test rather than allowing it to beat you. This way it become fun to give n number of tests and you will find the final encounter nothing other than one of it only.
Some Sectional Tips
Build your vocabulary. Barons wordlist is sufficient for the CAT aspirant but make sure you just dont mug the words but get used to their meaning by doing some daily reading.
For grammar part you need basic knowledge of English grammar and you can improve your expertise by doing intensive practice.
Priority of, which questions to solve and which to leave is very important for this area. You can learn it by extensive practice of sectional papers on VA.
Book: Objective English by R.S.Awarwal (S Chand Publication)
I rate this as the most critical section of all the CAT paper as it make or break your CAT dream.
Most of the non convent background students found this section tough due to lack of practice. I assure you how much bad reading speed you have you can surely improve it and only one thing you need is some patient and lot of sincerity. You should made reading as part of your life.
Make reading your daily habit like you take your lunch and dinner. I recommend Hindu and Business Standard newspapers and Business World magazine for daily read. About the other books dont pick the any book just because you want to improve your reading. Pick the book of your taste that helps you to fall in love with reading
Book: How to Read better and faster..Norman Lewis
DI + Logic
This is the section where you dont need much effort to master. Selection of question is very critical in this section.
About the calculation part try the habit of not using your pencil much and try some approximation methods to choose best fit answer.
About logic I say a basic logical bend of mind plus some practice is sufficient.
This is the scariest section for almost all the CAT aspirants. I will suggest you to be familiar with some basic formulae and dont just mug the short cuts because it is difficult to remember n number of short cuts taught to you and use it. Make a habit of answering by SMARTNESS rather than by CALCULATION.
When 4 options are given to you it is not always expected to solve every problem. You just need to cull out the unnecessary options and select the right one out the rest. You will learn this art after practicing lot for this section.
This is what I can share with you after spending my last three years with CAT. Feel free to get back to me if you have any queries and I will try my best to resolve them. I wish a very best luck to all of you!!!
PS: About the GD/PI part you can find the details and tips on my BLOG